What have you watched lately ?  "... movie, TV show [may contain spoilers]"

User is offline   Hank 

Emily The Criminal

Posted Image

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15255876/

My personal best movie for 2022. ;)

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Avatar 2. I went in with lowish expectations (because the first movie sucked) and was blown away. The story is predictable and by the numbers, but it's just such a well made film. It looks great, sounds great, feels great, even the dumb 3D that I hate is great I have to admit. The best animation I've ever seen in film ever hands down. The music I especially liked. And it has a great story of heart while also being action-packed with lots of eye candy. I liked it. Nice to watch a good movie for once.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 January 2023 - 09:40 PM

User is offline   Mark 

Sadly, I'm not seeing many new movies the last couple years. For at least 12 years I went to the cinema almost every weekend. Sometimes twice a week to see a 3D movie at a different location. But the covid shutdown got me out of the habit. Since they reopened early last year I've gone only 4 times. The end of an era. Was great while it lasted.

User is offline   jkas789 

I have been watching the "The Last of Us" show. As a video game adaptation its one of the best, period. As a independent story is fine if you haven't had contact with the horror, zombie, western, father and daughter/son dynamic genre. Only zoomers would find it amazing.

I never liked the games anyways, so I may be biased here.

I also recently watched Bullet Train (2022) which was a fun action flick.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

John Wick 4 was incredible. My wife and I went last week and it was great. We're all going to see the Mario movie this week for my wife's birthday with the kids. Looking forward to that too. But man John Wick 4 was nuts. And the soundtrack specifically stood out to me this time around. Really thinking about buying the soundtrack.

I haven't been able to watch it myself. I may just wait till it releases and acquire a totally legal drm less copy of it to watch when I finally have the time. Going to the movies is too complicated.

I have just started watching season 7 of Walker Texas Ranger. My dad and I have been really enjoying the series tbh. There is no deconstructions, morally grey conundrums or other modern tv/cinema bullshit. Just Walker and Trevet (Trevat? Trebet? Trebit? Ribbit?!) kicking criminal ass taking names and saving the day.

User is offline   ck3D 

User is offline   Hank 

^
Beauty is bought by judgement of the eye,
Not utter'd by base sale of chapmen's tongues

Shakespeare

Or art is subjective. If you intent to cash in, and make a living of it, you should be able to accept it. ;)

User is offline   ck3D 

Not sure if you did watch the video Hank, but that's exactly what it explains and also the why's, in pretty great detail. It encapsulates quite a bit I try to communicate to people in general on the regular and so I'm glad it exists, I posted it on here because this place is full of creatives with, sometimes, their own urges devouring them in plain sight because in the moment they are insecure, have phantasmal expectations re: grandeur or even forget why they create in the first place (which is nothing abnormal, and very common slippery slopes in every creative field in fact). Maybe the topic will resonate with at least a few people and help them make sense out of their own situations (and possible frustrations), I don't know.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 13 May 2023 - 01:30 PM

User is offline   Mark 

The first minute or so made me think of my modding situation. Being in the small minority of Build mappers using Polymer and 3d models and not getting as much recognition. The difference though is it doesn't bother me. I know going into it I have a very limited audience. And I don't consider myself insecure.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postck3D, on 13 May 2023 - 01:30 PM, said:

Not sure if you did watch the video Hank, but that's exactly what it explains and also the why's, in pretty great detail. It encapsulates quite a bit I try to communicate to people in general on the regular and so I'm glad it exists, I posted it on here because this place is full of creatives with, sometimes, their own urges devouring them in plain sight because in the moment they are insecure, have phantasmal expectations re: grandeur or even forget why they create in the first place (which is nothing abnormal, and very common slippery slopes in every creative field in fact). Maybe the topic will resonate with at least a few people and help them make sense out of their own situations (and possible frustrations), I don't know.

Yeah, I watched the video. But, I’m also a business guy, surrounded by creative people (Architects, Interior Decorators, Programmers … all day long) and followed it from this perspective, and simply reiterated the bottom line.

The video had some concrete suggestions. If it helps creative people to win, then it will, but I can't recommended either. I'm not creative, and could not relate. :)

This post has been edited by Hank: 13 May 2023 - 08:10 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostHank, on 13 May 2023 - 08:03 PM, said:

Yeah, I watched the video. But, I’m also a business guy, surrounded by creative people (Architects, Interior Decorators, Programmers … all day long) and followed it from this perspective, and simply reiterated the bottom line.

The video had some concrete suggestions. If it helps creative people to win, then it will, but I can't recommended either. I'm not creative, and could not relate. :)

I'm in a similar position being constantly surrounded by and working with and for creatives of many types (but not limited to creatives, I deal with businesses from mom and pop shops to corporations quite a bit; been swearing the latter off over the years though, too much absurd excess and too many contradictions). My general impression is creating value and selling value are two completely different skill sets, but they're not exactly mutually exclusive either, it's possible and I would say encouraged for one to try and develop both. From any perspective (regardless of if more business- or artistic-minded) I think that's important for better (and more efficient) communication when joining forces, someone at ease with business ideally should be able to understand the aspirations an author has with their output as to efficiently curate it in a way that doesn't oppress the creative, and the creative ideally should be aware of economic, competitive and production realities as to know how to best articulate their power in their designs to match their client's expectations and really grasp the direction (in such a context, that is). The less rupture the less chaos and the less time absurdly wasted for both parties involved, potentially. That is also why it's typical for artists to really struggle with corporate work: there is little to no humane feedback but the importance of the bottom line with (usually) few instructions or no real manual. From a business perspective that might result in behaviors that can seem zany or egoistic (which is not helped by the occasional larger-than-life persona), but that just means communication is failing to meet somewhere.

In cooperation in general by essence it's important for both parties to be able to understand one another. I'm not sure of what to think whenever I hear someone cling to just 'one side' (whichever one it is), that usually just means they refuse to get better and thus their enterprise to succeed (long term at least), and those profiles never really make for the best associates if one is more sincere in their work than that. (I'm not refering to you personally at all here, by the way, it's a general comment; specifying because it could be easy to tie back to some things you've expressed if someone somehow chooses to disregard that you've watched the video and are discussing the topic, so of course you're interested or at least curious.)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 May 2023 - 12:11 PM

User is offline   ck3D 

Re: art meets business, this channel (ran by a lawyer in NYC) must be one of my favorite YouTube rabbit holes in quite a bit. They have a lot of interesting, quality content up, most especially covering common misconceptions regarding the handling of gaming IP's, this one I'm linking to below in particular is about the legal status of modding (and I thought it was pretty funny to see the Nuke It! case pop up almost first thing), it's also the first installment in a two-parter:

(I understand this thread is intended to be more about movies and shows and so anyone please do not hesitate to tell me if it's only so fitting to share YouTube content in here.)

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 May 2023 - 05:12 AM

View Postck3D, on 20 May 2023 - 04:34 AM, said:

Re: art meets business, this channel (ran by a lawyer in NYC) ...

Yeah that's a good video series.

I recently had the opportunity to finally watch a drm free totally legal copy of John Wick 4 and am close to finishing season 8 of Walker, Texas Ranger.

Life is good. B)

User is offline   ck3D 

I'm halfway through watching this, this channel rules, again:

User is offline   Balls of Steel Forever 

• Balls of Steel Forever

Finished the FNAF movie over at IPIC, was much, much better then expected.
Alot of lore references, not direct to game, but still fantastic.

Share this topic:

• 22 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options