Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC general - Duke4.net Forums

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC general

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostMicky C, on 03 June 2019 - 02:26 AM, said:

I didn’t say it would fix the issue. I said it because if you were going to give the TC another try, having improved art would be a benefit.

The maps in the AMC TC are far larger and more complex than those released in the 90’s. Polymost is still fairly CPU-bound because of how dynamic the engine is, meaning the GPU sits around waiting while the CPU is processing things. The net result of this and other factors means that polymost is slower in several maps.

There is talk of the eduke devs doing some under-the-hood improvements to move a lot more of the polymost processing. TROR is also relatively glitch-free in polymost now, however the builds where it is fixed seem to cause crashes. So down the line, hopefully, the TC will be glitch-free and running on polymost with a high frame rate. When this will happen is hard to say.

That's a shame.

I read about this being a problem 2 years ago and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't come to a conclusion yet.

I suppose more time waiting is necessary assuming it ever get's done...

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

The eduke devs are making a lot of improvements because of the Ion Maiden game they’re working on. It’s possible that speed improvements will come out of it, and the devs have discussed ideas on how to go about it in the past.

Then it’ll just be a matter of them helping to fix the bugs/crashes they introduced while adding the Ion Maiden improvements :D

User is offline   SonicB00M 

So I am nearly done with episode 1 (although I just found the EDF missions) but I am absolutely loving it so far! What an enormous effort... baffles me how I could have missed the TC.

I just want to ask if there is any way to turn off the 'switch to classic renderer' message. Yes, I know Polymost introduces some visual bugs and the latest eDuke versions tend to crash but I can deal with that more than motion sickness (due to the warping when aiming up and down) and bad framerates.

• Honored Donor

James will have to answer that, if he's willing to that is.

However, you'll find that from Episode 2 onwards, maps use a lot more TROR, and some of them a LOT more TROR, to the point where it's unplayable in polymost due to the glitches.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 05 June 2019 - 01:50 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

It will be unplayable in polymost mode as micky said, TROR doesn't work and many levels will just turn into a mess of the hall of mirrors effect.

Thanks for the heads-up! I intend to continue episode 1 in Polymost as it's been smooth for now. Haven't seen a single hall of mirrors effect. So could tell me how to deactivate the renderer warning? It makes reading the subtitles impossible.

User is offline   king karl 

hey how do i unequip artifacts from the loadout screen?

it would also be helpful if my total money was displayed int his screen so i can know if i'm spending too much

View PostJohn Brown, on 04 March 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Also for completionist's sake, the EDF missions won't be selectable until you visit the hub world on (I believe) the Moon, and talk to an EDF officer there. I mention it because I missed it the first time I played (but, due to the persistent nature of this mod, you really can't "miss" stuff, in a way).

while i'm at it....this isn't a good system. I mean its so obscure most people would never find it without these forums and there's clearly better ways to do this besides having an obscure lady in an obscure random moon location give out these missions

also: they need to be retoggled on from the menu every time you close the map which is unnecessary work

User is offline   Jblade 

It's intentional, I don't want the EDF missions to be considered part of the main game.

on an unrelated note I'm experiencing a fairly frequent crash where using a security monitor crashes the game.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

A question I wanted to ask several months ago but it completely slipped my mind until now (I have no idea how that works).

Of all the playable characters, who could be argued to have the most Duke-like/standard FPS arsenal and/or movement? I'm basically just asking to find out who the best character to start with would be to get the player slowly more acquainted with the game and branch out and experiment from there.

View PostNinety-Six, on 18 July 2019 - 04:47 PM, said:

A question I wanted to ask several months ago but it completely slipped my mind until now (I have no idea how that works).

Of all the playable characters, who could be argued to have the most Duke-like/standard FPS arsenal and/or movement? I'm basically just asking to find out who the best character to start with would be to get the player slowly more acquainted with the game and branch out and experiment from there.

From my personal experience, and from what I read around on ModDB long ago, Zaxtor is supposed to be the most classic Duke character of them all. And his having the RPG, Shrinker, Devastator and "Freezer" of sorts add to that feeling.

He used not to be subject to the accuracy penalty upon shooting which added to that feeling too.

This post has been edited by TheDragonLiner: 18 July 2019 - 10:31 PM

so i beat episode 1 and got to the party room, am i then supposed to go to the menu and hit new game to start episode 2? I did that and while my research projects are intact the vending machine upgrades have reset and I have lost all but my base credits.

is this a glitch or did i do something wrong?

View Postking karl, on 19 July 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

so i beat episode 1 and got to the party room, am i then supposed to go to the menu and hit new game to start episode 2? I did that and while my research projects are intact the vending machine upgrades have reset and I have lost all but my base credits.

is this a glitch or did i do something wrong?

That's the normal way of doing it.

In Ep2's party room, you can exit it normally and remain in the same episode while still able to start Ep3 but you'll miss the intro of starting the episode among other things ...

Weapon upgrades are episode restricted. They don't get carried over. However know that in Ep2, the final mission has a glitch where you loose all the upgrades for certain characters.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 19 July 2019 - 10:06 PM, said:

That's the normal way of doing it.

In Ep2's party room, you can exit it normally and remain in the same episode while still able to start Ep3 but you'll miss the intro of starting the episode among other things ...

Weapon upgrades are episode restricted. They don't get carried over. However know that in Ep2, the final mission has a glitch where you loose all the upgrades for certain characters.

that's weird and anti climactic, i was expecting new upgrades to add; not buying the same ones over and over again

View Postking karl, on 20 July 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

that's weird and anti climactic, i was expecting new upgrades to add; not buying the same ones over and over again

You don't necessarily HAVE to buy them. If you use specialty weapons you can refrain from buying some in order to buy others though there are still uses.
Like with Sang for instance, if you buy the Mag upgrade while using a specialty weapon (not the Uzi) you will get extra ammo for it, which can go beyond the normal threshold ^_-

About "new" upgrades, you can unlock a special set of upgrades if you complete a certain mission in Episode 2. But they will function the same, they won't be carried over (the unlocking will remain unlocked fortunately).

This conversation confuses me a little. How do you start the next episode?

User is offline   John Brown 

To start another episode, just select "new game" from the main menu. Everything that's supposed to carry over will carry over, and everything that isn't supposed to (pocket money and upgrades to the default weapons) will not.

I will point out that since the vending machine upgrades only affect the default weapons, losing them when starting a new episode is a lot less annoying once you unlock some of the (admittedly crazy expensive) alternate weapons from the arms dealer behind the waterfall.

View PostJohn Brown, on 20 July 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

To start another episode, just select "new game" from the main menu. Everything that's supposed to carry over will carry over, and everything that isn't supposed to (pocket money and upgrades to the default weapons) will not.

I will point out that since the vending machine upgrades only affect the default weapons, losing them when starting a new episode is a lot less annoying once you unlock some of the (admittedly crazy expensive) alternate weapons from the arms dealer behind the waterfall.

yea but i was excited to see what kind of upgrades would exist and was expecting new ones to add to my collection, for example I said "wow merlyn only has 2 he must get more in episode 2 maybe its barbs for his sword to do bleed damage or a new metal coating to make his shields stronger"

but no, i just lose them all.

from the player's perspective it just feels like I'm actively punished for beating the episode rather than rewarded

View PostJohn Brown, on 20 July 2019 - 03:10 PM, said:

To start another episode, just select "new game" from the main menu.

I assume you do this once you get to this "party?"

View PostNinety-Six, on 20 July 2019 - 07:47 PM, said:

I assume you do this once you get to this "party?"

It is preferable to do this when you get to the party because you would basically skip the rest of the levels that precede it.
However you should know that you can access every level of every episode from the Command Center even if you're not in said episode. For instance you can play Ep1 missions while you're in Ep3 and vice versa. But some stuff won't update accordingly, like the phone conversations for instance ...

Last thing about upgrades, Merlijn gets a new upgrade in Ep2 if you play that certain mission I mentioned.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 20 July 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

It is preferable to do this when you get to the party because you would basically skip the rest of the levels that precede it.
However you should know that you can access every level of every episode from the Command Center even if you're not in said episode. For instance you can play Ep1 missions while you're in Ep3 and vice versa. But some stuff won't update accordingly, like the phone conversations for instance ...

I'm confused again...

• Honored Donor

It’s recommended that you start each new episode through the episode select screen in the game’s menu. However it’s also possible to view other episode’s levels in the mission select interface, since you can filter missions by episodes. I’m not sure whether or not you can only access past missions this way, or if they’re all unlocked from the start.

At the very least, it’s good to use the episode select menu because it’s good to restart the game every now and then as opposed to loading old saves over and over; there’s a slight potential for bugs to gradually creep in if you do that too long.

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postking karl, on 20 July 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

yea but i was excited to see what kind of upgrades would exist and was expecting new ones to add to my collection, for example I said "wow merlyn only has 2 he must get more in episode 2 maybe its barbs for his sword to do bleed damage or a new metal coating to make his shields stronger"

from the player's perspective it just feels like I'm actively punished for beating the episode rather than rewarded

You know I only have so much time to put content into the mod right?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

it's called balance.

if the players keep their personal weapon upgrades, then the episodes have to get progressively a little more difficult to compensate. That's not feasible since the player isn't forced to play the episodes in order AND the episodes can be played at different difficulty levels independent of the other episodes.

View Postking karl, on 11 July 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

while i'm at it....this isn't a good system.

that's weird and anti climactic

View Postking karl, on 20 July 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

it just feels like I'm actively punished

View Postking karl, on 11 July 2019 - 09:36 PM, said:

I'm experiencing a fairly frequent crash

http://www.suicide.o...e-hotlines.html

You've obviously been traumatized and have had no positive experiences.

This post has been edited by Forge: 21 July 2019 - 08:08 AM

View PostForge, on 21 July 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

http://www.suicide.o...e-hotlines.html

You've obviously been traumatized and have had no positive experiences.

What the hell? I guess his critique came out unnecessarily harsh but that's not the right way to respond.

View PostSonicB00M, on 21 July 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

What the hell? I guess his critique came out unnecessarily harsh but that's not the right way to respond.

The same happened to me about my feedback at the end. But, if I may I will say that this is juste Forge, that's his way of being and you can't decently ask him (or anybody) to censor what clearly defines his nature ...
He (and tons of people) would become stale if he did ...

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 22 July 2019 - 04:47 AM, said:

The same happened to me about my feedback at the end. But, if I may I will say that this is juste Forge, that's his way of being and you can't decently ask him (or anybody) to censor what clearly defines his nature ...
He (and tons of people) would become stale if he did ...

You know exactly what you did to get the response you received. You were politely asked to stop and you didn't. Don't pretend to be a victim.

At least you had something positive to say about the game. You didn't come in here and throw nothing but negative shade like an entitled jerk.

View PostForge, on 22 July 2019 - 05:16 AM, said:

You know exactly what you did to get the response you received. You were politely asked to stop and you didn't. Don't pretend to be a victim.

At least you had something positive to say about the game. You didn't come in here and throw nothing but negative shade like an entitled jerk.

Rest assured that I'm not that kind of person, and I ALWAYS try to measure, nuance my words in hopes of staying neutral (especially when it's about a person).

I hate to be a pest, but the bug that affects James' shotguns still continues to be a buzzkill.

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options