Duke4.net Forums: AMC TC general - Duke4.net Forums

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

AMC TC general

View PostJblade, on 07 May 2018 - 02:31 AM, said:

I literally have a copy of the first episode one release here on my PC, there's no such text file in the main directory.

Okay then Mea Culpa >_>
I guess I must have halucinated (and my capricious memory doesn't help either)

Oh BTW I'd like to ask a question about the Sphere or Megasphere while I still have time ... Is it voluntary that you can't pick it up when you have more than 200 health ?
Because the problem that it poses is the fact that it also gives 200 armor but since there are characters like Merlijn or Zaxtor who have more than 200hp from the start it basically makes them quite hard to take (volontarily taking dammage to enable picking it up) ...

I thought it would be better if you could still benefit from the 200 armor points if you already have more than 200 health especially since armor is more valuable in AMC than in other mods (especially on higher difficulties where having tons of health doesn't necessarily allow good survivability) >_>

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 06 May 2018 - 10:40 PM, said:

As for a possible connection with WGR2 I kinda agree since Axon is a feeaking jerk >_< He tells you that he can return Duke to his home world and he NEVER does so even at the end of Chaos Realm

I was under the impression that WGR2 was incomplete, and that was why there wasn't a proper ending.

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 May 2018 - 06:40 AM, said:

I was under the impression that WGR2 was incomplete, and that was why there wasn't a proper ending.

That would give a form of explanation >_>

We can barely see Axon in Castle Demonhorn as he's waiting for you on the other side of the portal at the beginning and the end of the level The 3rd episode is just WGR adapted to Siege Breaker and so Axon isn't there and we may guess the story is on hold in a way And Chaos Realm doesn't seem to have any story relation for the same reasons and there's no portal or anything showing up at the end

So like you said it give an impression of being unfinished but on the story side because the simple act of adding a portal to the homr world at the end of Chaos Realm would have been enough IMO ^^

If I remember right, I think both Castle Demonhorn and Utter Chaos were both existing levels made for WGR2 that were officially incorporated into 1.2, hence the lack of any story. I might be misremembering or misinterpreting that but I'm almost certain that's what happened.

If anyone wants to correct me with the full story let me know. But I'm like 85% sure we never got the "real" episode 2.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 07 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Castle Demonhorn and Utter Chaos are both “user maps” in that they were both developed by an external mapper (not WG), however I think they were always an official part of the episode.

You’re right in that we never got a proper second episode. Single maps and adapted content don’t count towards the core “story”.

Back in the early days, WG was talking about a 3 episode plan, and I suppose Duke would have come home at the end. However, considering that WGRealms couldn’t get more than one episode out of a planned series, I’d say it’s a miracle that the the AMC TC is now up to 3 episodes of its 5 episode plan, and hopefully people appreciate its improbability. I don’t see why we wouldn’t get the full 5 out either.

Does AMC have an "overarching" story? I get that the premise is the AMC team being founded to function as Duke Nukem in his absence, but is there some sort of underlying story?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 May 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

Does AMC have an "overarching" story? I get that the premise is the AMC team being founded to function as Duke Nukem in his absence, but is there some sort of underlying story?

Posted Image

• Honored Donor

View PostNinety-Six, on 07 May 2018 - 06:17 PM, said:

Yep. Have you not played it?

There’s something that has repercussions in the very first level, of which you’re dealing with the consequences for a bit. This is made a bit more explicit throughout the 2nd episode, and then greatly expanded in the third episode.

Although, at least from Episode 2 onwards, there’s a big unrelated, self-contained story in the middle, followed by a few individual character missions which may be once-offs, or tie in to a character’s personal overarching story. Otherwise the episodes certainly start and finish relating to the main overall story.

With all the cutscenes and documents throughout the game, it’s arguably the most story-driven Duke TC.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 07 May 2018 - 08:37 PM

View PostMicky C, on 07 May 2018 - 08:31 PM, said:

Yep. Have you not played it?

Not yet. The question I asked was a part of why I haven't yet. I wanted to know how much of the stuff in AMC was a direct reference or built upon the events of previous mods and etc.

• Honored Donor

View PostNinety-Six, on 08 May 2018 - 06:00 AM, said:

Not yet. The question I asked was a part of why I haven't yet. I wanted to know how much of the stuff in AMC was a direct reference or built upon the events of previous mods and etc.

Oh, in terms of the story there’s a moderate amount. There’s a lot of Shadow Warrior story in EP2, some Powerslave stuff in EP3. Some of the characters taken from mods reference their respective mods. There’s a loose continuation of the last episode of Imagination World v2. There’s some WGR2 stuff but it doesn’t directly reference WGR2 events even though it’s related.

There’s a few other nods and references but overall the TC focuses on its own story.

Thanks. A lot of that is the sort of information I'm looking for.

User is offline   Jblade 

Do you feel this might be the kind of stuff that should be advertised on the mod's moddb profile? I have tried to avoid mentioning other things since I want the mod to stand on its own shoulders but on the other hand if mentioning that it's set in a shared universe might intrigue people than it's something I should consider.

I'm going to be that guy. I know it's a free mod but that doesn't hand waive any issues one might encounter.

I'm playing through the first episode, I pick Rusty Nails because I'm a huge fan of Blood. Mod gets its first red flag with the beginning with a 5 minute unskippable cut-scene. It's very impressive what the makers were able to achieve in Eduke but that kind of shit should always, always, always be skippable. Maybe there is a way to skip it that I'm unaware of like Conker's Bad Fur Day? Because I hit Escape and it just pauses. I hit E. Nothing. I hit Enter. Nothing. I hit every possible key and it will not let me skip the cut-scene.

Second red flag is that when you can finally play the game you have to find an NPC that allows you to select mission and then you finally get to play. Firstly, the elevator is not obvious in the slightest. For one, the platform is down on the first floor and there's no obvious button that lets you know that it's an elevator that you can call. Your natural instinct is not to run to that un-obvious elevator and call it. Instead you look around and try to find a way to finally fucking play the fucking game. You waste some time with some dead ends until finally you realize that was an elevator you could call. Wasting about 10 minutes of my time.

So I take the elevator, go to the NPC, go through the training (which was fine and well done) and finally start the first mission. I'm going through it, it's all well and good if a bit too easy on Normal difficulty for my taste. But I assume on harder difficulties that the hitscan enemies can perfectly hit you from a mile away and do tons of damage. I get through the level, I get a little lost looking for the zipline. But then I get the part with the Pigcop in a tank.

I kill the Pigcop, kill a couple of enemies, explore the buildings and get stumped. I destroy a brain and use a key card to get to that reactor. I'm like, "Okay, this is fine." I get to the part with the Radiation suit and as soon as you put the thing on, hit the switch so you can enter, you are greeted with a Trooper. So, I try to use my guns and can't. So I run back, the Trooper gets inside the tiny room, I switch out of the suit and now I'm allowed to kill the Trooper. That was pretty bad enemy placement. But I move ahead and get stuck again. I use the PDA and it tells me to weld a crack. I get to the crack, I look for the key to use the weld and there's nothing. Instead I have to get right next to the crack and just fire at it. I'm not sure if that welded the crack or not, it's not made obvious, but I explore and now I'm allowed to go into the next room. Only to deal with aliens with the shrink ray. I admit I did not use the PDA to scan the one's just standing there. I rush through this part, hit the switch, run back, and I still don't know where to go.

So I wander about and discover the vent near the top of the building that leads to the scientists trapped behind the force field. So I get to the spot where I can run and jump up to that side of the building, I hit space and nothing. It just doesn't let me do it from that particular spot. I save at that spot and load state a few times until it finally just lets me run and jump. I destroy the vent, rescue the hostages and now I'm stuck. I use the PDA's scan feature and nothing. I hit E on the shelf and nothing. I hit E on the force field. Nothing. I start firing at random shit. Nothing. I throw dynamite at the force field. Nothing.

That was the third Red Flag and I'm done. Maybe there's bugs when you pick Rusty Nails? Maybe there's an oversight by the creator's where you can get stuck down there? Maybe there's just some obscure solution I just didn't see?

It's a very impressive mod on a technical level. But as far as gameplay goes there's definitely some big issues. Classic example of just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 08 May 2018 - 10:09 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

Sorry you didn't enjoy the mod, I can address some of your problem however.

The cutscene is definitely skippable, that may of been a bug in EP2's release but it has always been intended as skippable. Same goes for the briefing map.

That's a good point about the elevator, I should make it start at it's top position rather than the bottom one.

So I take the elevator, go to the NPC, go through the training (which was fine and well done) and finally start the first mission. I'm going through it, it's all well and good if a bit too easy on Normal difficulty for my taste. But I assume on harder difficulties that the hitscan enemies can perfectly hit you from a mile away and do tons of damage. I get through the level, I get a little lost looking for the zipline. But then I get the part with the Pigcop in a tank.

No, enemies are slightly more accurate but expert they have the same damage values as normal mode.

The trooper thing is an unintentional gameplay slight where the red trooper cloaked and followed you into the airlock. That wasn't intended and it's a good idea for me to change the enemy type since that would throw players off. I'll sort out the welding spot as well so hitting use fixes it, if that's what you felt you needed to do rather than shoot at it. I should probably sort that area out so it's a bit more organic.

There's a switch right next to the forcefield, if it's not there than that's a bug that hasn't been reported yet.

If I could give you points I would dude. I definitely did not see a switch anywhere near that force field.

Finding the weld spot and just seeing a prompt is much more intuitive. Because it's not exactly obvious that M1 is the weld and you have to be right next to the spot to use it.

I'll try the next updated version.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 08 May 2018 - 10:24 PM

• Honored Donor

The AMC TC has a huge variety in level progression. It's not for everyone. Although, if you're having an issue with one part of one particular level, I'd encourage you to soldier through, as you'd likely enjoy the subsequent levels more, and then report any annoyances to us like you've done in case it's something we can improve. IIRC Episode 2's level progression had a slightly better reception than Episode 1. I can appreciate that issues like the lift in the base can be quite frustrating, although they are ultimately rare, minor issues that can be fixed.

In the meantime feel free to wait for Episode 3 to come out before playing the whole thing from scratch. Episode 1 does have quite a few bug fixes and improvements in the update which should make the experience smoother and more enjoyable.

View PostJblade, on 08 May 2018 - 08:47 PM, said:

Do you feel this might be the kind of stuff that should be advertised on the mod's moddb profile? I have tried to avoid mentioning other things since I want the mod to stand on its own shoulders but on the other hand if mentioning that it's set in a shared universe might intrigue people than it's something I should consider.

That's a tough question. I feel like people like me are in the minority when it comes to wanting to learn more about the shared universe, because others might feel imposed by it, especially with something as intangible as Duke modding which is far more difficult to get solid information versus, say, googling up the MCU (I mean I had to ask here to get information straight from the horse's/horses' mouth). That's not to say people dislike shared universes, but people will probably feel like they're missing out if they dive into something like AMC.

On the other hand, it's a good way to get people interested in those other mods, and to catch some references if they were to revisit AMC. Then again I'm not sure how many people revisit AMC as it is (Hell, I'm not sure how many people revisit games in general anymore. Those of us who still play Duke 3D 20 years on are kind of the last holdouts).

In my case, my first experience with AMC came packaged with the knowledge of a shared universe (since as I said, my first encounter with AMC was the wiki. I still have no idea how that happened). That's simultaneously been my reason to want to play it (in addition to its songs of praise (though I've since tempered those after Ancient Aliens happened)), and also my reason to delay it while I got involved in the stuff it was built upon (Kinda the same reason I haven't gotten far in the MCU past the first Iron Man). Of course, some of the trouble there was not knowing exactly what went into it or not. Knowing that AMC builds upon "literally everything" sort of helped, and then Micky explained which ones were the ones more directly involved, which I'll probably go and seek out before I play.

Again, I think I'm sort of the person that's in the minority. I've always been a chronologically-focused nerd, for instance I have an untouched copy of Dark Souls 3 laying around simply because I haven't played 1 or 2 yet. I know it's not super critical to do so, but again, that's just the way I do things.

It's literally the same thing with AMC. That's probably the biggest reason I haven't played it yet. ...Well, that and a paradoxical pull to learn more about how the game actually works and see it in action versus not wanting to spoil myself too much.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 08 May 2018 - 11:35 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

That's fair enough - I do want to re-iterate though that it's absolutely not necessary to play any of the previous things before you go into the AMC TC. If you have to, the only 2 mods that actually factor into the story at all are Imagination World (episode 4 specifically) and Brave New World; the rest are more of a nod towards modding heritage than anything :P On the other hand there's no rush to play the mod, in fact if you've already got a back catalogue of stuff than it might be worth waiting for episode 3's release as lots of aspects of EP1 and EP2 have been overhauled and improved especially for first-time players.

I love the DaS series but yeah I'd play at least 1 first before hitting the 3rd one. No2 is pretty different and apart from a few lingering references it barely factors into 3's setting or plot.

View PostJblade, on 09 May 2018 - 12:02 AM, said:

That's fair enough - I do want to re-iterate though that it's absolutely not necessary to play any of the previous things before you go into the AMC TC.

I know. I'm just weird.

If you have to, the only 2 mods that actually factor into the story at all are Imagination World (episode 4 specifically) and Brave New World; the rest are more of a nod towards modding heritage than anything

Even better.

On the other hand there's no rush to play the mod, in fact if you've already got a back catalogue of stuff than it might be worth waiting for episode 3's release as lots of aspects of EP1 and EP2 have been overhauled and improved especially for first-time players.

Yeah, I was sort of planning on that too for that reason. With it as close as it is and every release coming with improvements to the previous eps, there really isn't a point in getting it now. On the plus side, I now have something to focus on in the meantime.

View PostBruno Mattei, on 08 May 2018 - 10:00 PM, said:

I'm going to be that guy. I know it's a free mod but that doesn't hand waive any issues one might encounter.

I'm playing through the first episode, I pick Rusty Nails because I'm a huge fan of Blood. Mod gets its first red flag with the beginning with a 5 minute unskippable cut-scene. It's very impressive what the makers were able to achieve in Eduke but that kind of shit should always, always, always be skippable. Maybe there is a way to skip it that I'm unaware of like Conker's Bad Fur Day? Because I hit Escape and it just pauses. I hit E. Nothing. I hit Enter. Nothing. I hit every possible key and it will not let me skip the cut-scene.

There is definitely a bug here. While the intro cutscene didn't do this for me, I managed to get the first level cutscene to become unskippable on several occasions.
Also, so far, the cutscene where the ship gets shot down has always been unskippable for me.

What's funny though is that you can always skip individual parts of every cutscene using the alt-fire key, even the ones you can't skip with the use button for some reason.

As for what causes it, I've noticed that when this happens, the player appears to still be in control of the character he's chosen, and can thus look and walk around, probably in some box far off the cutscene itself.
In the first level cutscene, you can actually hear your character walk around and make noise in the background.

Second red flag is that when you can finally play the game you have to find an NPC that allows you to select mission and then you finally get to play. Firstly, the elevator is not obvious in the slightest. For one, the platform is down on the first floor and there's no obvious button that lets you know that it's an elevator that you can call. Your natural instinct is not to run to that un-obvious elevator and call it. Instead you look around and try to find a way to finally fucking play the fucking game. You waste some time with some dead ends until finally you realize that was an elevator you could call. Wasting about 10 minutes of my time.

Funnily enough, I have the opposite problem with that elevator; I keep carelessly falling down and taking damage because it starts in a lowered position.
But given that it's lowered already, how come you got stuck there and never thought of actually jumping down? There's also a wide open balcony you could've jumped down from...

I kill the Pigcop, kill a couple of enemies, explore the buildings and get stumped. I destroy a brain and use a key card to get to that reactor. I'm like, "Okay, this is fine." I get to the part with the Radiation suit and as soon as you put the thing on, hit the switch so you can enter, you are greeted with a Trooper. So, I try to use my guns and can't. So I run back, the Trooper gets inside the tiny room, I switch out of the suit and now I'm allowed to kill the Trooper. That was pretty bad enemy placement. But I move ahead and get stuck again. I use the PDA and it tells me to weld a crack. I get to the crack, I look for the key to use the weld and there's nothing. Instead I have to get right next to the crack and just fire at it. I'm not sure if that welded the crack or not, it's not made obvious, but I explore and now I'm allowed to go into the next room. Only to deal with aliens with the shrink ray. I admit I did not use the PDA to scan the one's just standing there. I rush through this part, hit the switch, run back, and I still don't know where to go.

So I wander about and discover the vent near the top of the building that leads to the scientists trapped behind the force field. So I get to the spot where I can run and jump up to that side of the building, I hit space and nothing. It just doesn't let me do it from that particular spot. I save at that spot and load state a few times until it finally just lets me run and jump. I destroy the vent, rescue the hostages and now I'm stuck. I use the PDA's scan feature and nothing. I hit E on the shelf and nothing. I hit E on the force field. Nothing. I start firing at random shit. Nothing. I throw dynamite at the force field. Nothing.

That was the third Red Flag and I'm done. Maybe there's bugs when you pick Rusty Nails? Maybe there's an oversight by the creator's where you can get stuck down there? Maybe there's just some obscure solution I just didn't see?

It's a very impressive mod on a technical level. But as far as gameplay goes there's definitely some big issues. Classic example of just because you can do it doesn't mean you should.

The Trooper is definitely an oversight, he's not supposed to get in there.
As for the forcefield, there's supposed to be a switch right next to the scientist you can talk to, see attachment.

Edit:
I don't think you should focus on the shared-universe aspect when advertising the mod. It's really not that big of a deal, and some people may even be put off by it.
What's in the mod can really stand on its own, the shared universe aspect is just another bonus for fans of retro shooters and Duke mods. The thing I said about rebranding was just a joke :P

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

This post has been edited by Doom64hunter: 09 May 2018 - 12:12 AM

• Honored Donor

I would argue you wouldn't even need to play Brave New World to get up to speed on the TC, as the outcome is summarised appropriately. Of course, you might as well play it anyway since it's a decent episode. Plus it has a pop-culture reference that was meant to be ironic at the time but turned out to be extremely prophetic Posted Image

The Imagination World Episode 4 helps add back story to one of the 'minor' characters, his faction and a few other things. If you never played it, when you'd meet the character it'd be like "oh ok, these guys obviously have some history. Anyway, on with the story." Kind of like Mel Gibson in Expendables 3.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 09 May 2018 - 12:19 AM

View PostMicky C, on 09 May 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

I would argue you wouldn't even need to play Brave New World to get up to speed on the TC, as the outcome is summarised appropriately. Of course, you might as well play it anyway since it's a decent episode. Plus it has a pop-culture reference that was meant to be ironic at the time but turned out to be extremely prophetic Posted Image

The Imagination World Episode 4 helps add back story to one of the 'minor' characters, his faction and a few other things. If you never played it, when you'd meet the character it'd be like "oh ok, these guys obviously have some history. Anyway, on with the story." Kind of like Mel Gibson in Expendables 3.

I've never actually watched any of the Expendables movies. Wanted to, but never had much in the way of opportunity.

That would spoil the ending though, wouldn't it? I joke, but it's still kinda true.

They factor into the story, so I still just kinda wanna see it play it out. That's kind of the magic of a shared universe.

View PostMicky C, on 09 May 2018 - 12:18 AM, said:

In addition, IW Episode 4 is the only one that was actually made with the AMC TC in mind. It kind of plays out like the lead-up episode.
The remaining mods were pretty much retconned in, but it sort-of works out.

View PostDoom64hunter, on 09 May 2018 - 12:06 AM, said:

The Trooper is definitely an oversight, he's not supposed to get in there.
As for the forcefield, there's supposed to be a switch right next to the scientist you can talk to, see attachment.

Edit:
I don't think you should focus on the shared-universe aspect when advertising the mod. It's really not that big of a deal, and some people may even be put off by it.
What's in the mod can really stand on its own, the shared universe aspect is just another bonus for fans of retro shooters and Duke mods. The thing I said about rebranding was just a joke :P

Yeah, that switch did not appear at all for me.

View PostBruno Mattei, on 09 May 2018 - 11:02 AM, said:

Yeah, that switch did not appear at all for me.

Weird, though I don't doubt you. Strange bugs like that do occur, sucks that your first play had all these issues. :(

Shit happens.

Hey guys !

Somebody has made a fix that makes the speedometer of the MotorBike work correctly for AMC >> https://www.moddb.co...speedometer-fix

If you guys hadn't managed to fix it then maybe this will help you. It might even help for other mods using it such at DNF 2013 for instance ^^

• Honored Donor

IIRC it has already been fixed, and that those working on DNF 2013 (or whatever they're calling the next version) have fixed it there too.

Interesting that someone has made their own fix though.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 26 May 2018 - 05:24 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

For the people who give a shit, I've set up a discord - it'll probably see real activity once ep3 is out, but if you want to join in the party early it's here. There's some new screenshots and info up there as well.

This post has been edited by Jblade: 23 August 2018 - 10:11 PM

View PostJblade, on 23 August 2018 - 10:01 PM, said:

For the people who give a shit, I've set up a discord - it'll probably see real activity once ep3 is out, but if you want to join in the party early it's here. There's some new screenshots and info up there as well.

Maybe you should tell about this on the ModDB page too, this would help give it more activity a bit quicker before Ep3 is out

Share this topic:

• 37 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options