Duke4.net Forums: Whats with all the hate on DN:3D Reloaded? - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats with all the hate on DN:3D Reloaded?

Whats with all the hate on Duke Nukem 3D Reloaded? Its not out yet and theres not much info on it. There all doing this in there spare time for us. A multiplayer is scheduled for this year (hopefully). You can't say it looks like shit if you haven't seen it. Lets give them the benefit of the doubt and hope for a good game. Just at least wait until the beta.

User is offline   Oook 

Who has said that? :(
As I know, DN Reloaded is gonna be awesome!

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Two things....

1) I have expressed doubts about it due to other projects over promising and under delivering but they are free to prove me wrong and I would be happy if they did

2) Releasing a multiplayer beta doesn't mean a whole lot other than releasing a multiplayer beta... just look at tranfusion project. They released a multiplayer beta and then the project has pretty much been dead since then.

This post has been edited by Tetsuo: 31 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDuke_Forever, on 31 August 2011 - 12:52 PM, said:

Its not out yet and theres not much info on it.

Exactly. They've released only footage with one room in it. And that's it. There was nothing to show but the hype was through the roof when their pitch video surfaced.

The game has surprisingly much hate around it. Mostly on this board which is probably not a coencidence. But it's a duke game, it's first person shooter, and it's not just a mod. So to me it seems that people hate on it just because it's not made by the real owners of the duke francise.

User is offline   X-Vector 

View PostTetsuo, on 31 August 2011 - 01:38 PM, said:

Two things....

1) I have expressed doubts about it due to other projects over promising and under delivering but they are free to prove me wrong and I would be happy if they did

2) Releasing a multiplayer beta doesn't mean a whole lot other than releasing a multiplayer beta... just look at tranfusion project. They released a multiplayer beta and then the project has pretty much been dead since then.

3) This forum suffers from an abundance of members with an attitude problem.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are agreeing with me and just adding another to my little list there or just being snarky and insinuating that I too have an attitude problem.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

4. 3DR religiously shut down any attempt to make Duke Nukem on a more modern engine. So, after years of dumping on the community for trying to make a better looking Duke, they give the one and only licence to a bunch of guys that nobody has ever heard of before. So, a few people are annoyed.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. We've only seen a few bits and pieces here and there, but it should be interesting at least.

User is offline   Kathy 

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are agreeing with me and just adding another to my little list there or just being snarky and insinuating that I too have an attitude problem.

Don't worry, we have more extreme examples. :(

This post has been edited by Helel: 01 September 2011 - 02:53 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

a ) anyone here could of done that to get things started

b ) someone actually did with full disregard which in my opinion is the full "duke fuck you way" anyway

tbh g.broustard is the most incompetent game dev ever, like honestly after 13 years you couldn't make a simple decision as tooo sooo... ummm make the normal the troopers replace the enforcer with machin techno armor and keep the lizman as a bread and butter to keep some variance from pig-cops, simple shit that retard like broustard can't seem to make after umm , 13 years which is nearly in the vicinity 43765 DAYS!!! f-u retard! i hope one day i can make you say your lame excuse to my face so i have a reason to punch your face untill blood comes out your ears, yes GEORGE BROUSSARD YOU ARE THE MOST INCOMPETENT DOUCHEBAG ON THE FACE OF PLANET EARTH, JOHN ROMERO HAS MORE COMPETENCE THAN YOU

c ) couldn't give a shit seeing as the proper devs couldnt do it right in 13 years.

bah i couldnt give a crap anyway know one cares about making a good game anymore anyway, and after being told too many times that i did it better game than a 13 year old dev, i personally dont give a shit, the nepotism and "give my (untalented) mate a job" is sooooo rife in the industry its becoming another royal family.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Every time the lead guy (fresch) opens his mouth he lets slip another detail about the game that sounds nothing like Duke Nukem. Stealth sections, slowed down gameplay, dark, serious and gritty, it's all bullshit. Not to forget about the fact we're half a year past the proposed multiplayer demo, and they're now completely under the thumb of Gearbox. They can't even release a single screenshot without their approval. Yet Gearbox approved DNF. It makes me very concerned about their ability to produce something that doesn't shit all over the fans even more.

I don't mind the fact that it's dark and gritty. What I hate is the fact that it's now gonna be "Duke Gear Solid". Seriously wtf. And Gearbox actually approved this. It just seems no one has a fucking clue on what made Duke Nukem so amazing to begin with. It's taking everything that made the original DN3D so epic, and now shitting on those fans by adding stealth, vehicles...among other things. Although I haven't played it yet, I'm not too hyped. Hopefully they prove me wrong.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 01 September 2011 - 05:33 AM

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Hey, it's going to be fully moddable. With all the assets there I'm sure that people could make something of it. "Stefan Fueger: You will be able to mod the game. So you will be able to to either code your own mutator that changes the for example the running speed or even speed up the whole game with the dev console."

I had asked about it on their Facebook page, so hey, that's a plus.

• Polymancer

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 September 2011 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hey, it's going to be fully moddable...

Unless they encrypt the assets, like they did with Duke.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDanM, on 01 September 2011 - 03:07 AM, said:

bah i couldnt give a crap anyway know one cares about making a good game anymore anyway, and after being told too many times that i did it better game than a 13 year old dev, i personally dont give a shit, the nepotism and "give my (untalented) mate a job" is sooooo rife in the industry its becoming another royal family.

When Polymer finally gets that long awaited overhaul, maybe DNE can get the attention it deserves. I know I will promote it.

And yeah, as TM was saying, some people in the Duke 3D community are resentful because Duke 3D mappers/modders/fans have been keeping the franchise alive for all these years with tons of hard work and creativity, and a deep understanding of what makes the game great, but then when there is finally a remake it is done by a bunch of people that have had nothing to do with Duke 3D for all these years. That's actually no reason to hate the project, and it's no excuse for the rudeness, but it's understandable that some of us would be skeptical as to whether the Reloaded team truly knows what they are doing.

• tile 1018

View PostTea Monster, on 01 September 2011 - 07:36 AM, said:

Unless they encrypt the assets, like they did with Duke.

You do realize the guy I quoted Stefan Fueger is part of the DNR team right? He said the game would be moddable. As far as I know that's not really Gearbox's decision to make, the developers are not being paid, and the game isn't being sold for money for Gearbox to profit, so all they care about at this point is that the game good enough to play, so really it wouldn't make sense to to encrypt it all anyway, there's nothing to lose from it. (Except for the voice over, they're paying for that, which probably isn't even that much.)

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 01 September 2011 - 08:57 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

I dont entirely hate them, i am actually intrigued in their work, and will enjoy having the option of having a proper 3d editor its just that point a) is still a good point as it stands, time will tell to say the least.

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 September 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

You do realize the guy I quoted Stefan Fueger is part of the DNR team right? He said the game would be moddable. As far as I know that's not really Gearbox's decision to make, they're not being paid, and the game isn't being sold for money, so all they care about at this point is that the game good enough to play, so really it wouldn't make sense to to encrypt it all anyway, there's nothing to lose from it. (Except for the voice over, they're paying for that, which probably isn't even that much.)

He also promised a demo several months ago. Anything he claims amounts to very little when Gearbox is pulling the strings.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 01 September 2011 - 08:56 AM

• tile 1018

View PostMad Max RW, on 01 September 2011 - 08:56 AM, said:

He also promised a demo several months ago. Anything he claims amounts to very little when Gearbox is pulling the strings.

Because Gearbox still plans to make money off of DLC for DNF. :( That's my guess. They decide what's released, what isn't, but some things are a really the choice of the developers, if it wasn't, then Gearbox would be making the game instead of these people we've never heard of.

Aye, I'm sorry for editing on the spot so many times, but anyway, even if the game's assets were to be encrypted, the game is being made with engine that many people are familiar with, it'd be easy enough to crack.

This post has been edited by Spirrwell: 01 September 2011 - 09:04 AM

• Polymancer

View PostSpirrwell, on 01 September 2011 - 08:54 AM, said:

You do realize the guy I quoted Stefan Fueger is part of the DNR team right? He said the game would be moddable. As far as I know that's not really Gearbox's decision to make, the developers are not being paid, and the game isn't being sold for money for Gearbox to profit, so all they care about at this point is that the game good enough to play, so really it wouldn't make sense to to encrypt it all anyway, there's nothing to lose from it. (Except for the voice over, they're paying for that, which probably isn't even that much.)

I do. I also realise that Stefan Fueger is entirely beholden to Gearbox as DNR is a licenced product. Stefan Fueger could promise the editor, and someone at gearbox says no and it suddenly it isn't there any more. Nobody here gets that its not just a regular mod. This probably won't happen, but as with most things Duke nowadays, I'm not counting on anything till I see it with my own eyes.

User is offline   Graywolf 

Stealth sections? Vehicles? that sucks.

I don't think a overall "darker tone" is needed. After the Clown-perverted approach 3DR put on DNF, all I wanted the old Duke Nukem from D3D. Badass, straight to the point, funny (not "hilarious" like Randy likes to call it) and sarcastic. Even the oneliners from DNF suck.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGraywolf, on 01 September 2011 - 10:15 AM, said:

Stealth sections? Vehicles? that sucks.

What sucks is forcing minigames on the player. If they want to put in a section where stealth is possible and might be a good idea when you are low on ammo or health, then that's fine. Or a section where a vehicle is useful or has to be used to make a particular jump, that's also fine. But when it gets forced on the player so it's like THIS IS NOW A STEALTH GAME or THIS IS NOW A VEHICLE GAME then it sucks. The same applies to controlling a turret.

User is offline   Tetsuo 

Reminds me of the tedious stealth mission in RTCW where guards on towers have super vision and as soon as you are spotted it says mission failed and you have to reload your savegame. :(

User is offline   Loke 

View PostTetsuo, on 01 September 2011 - 12:37 PM, said:

Reminds me of the tedious stealth mission in RTCW where guards on towers have super vision and as soon as you are spotted it says mission failed and you have to reload your savegame. :(

Yeah, I can never finish that mission on the first try. I always seem to miss some obscure guard in a watch tower.
There's also that mission much later on in which you have to silently assassinate a few officers in a village without being detected. Though it's generally a lot easier due to the cramped street areas. It's also a bit fun which is weird coming from me who absolutely hate instant fail stealth missions in games (*cough* Jedi Outcast being one of the worst contender IMO *cough*). :(

View PostDeeperThought, on 01 September 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

What sucks is forcing minigames on the player. If they want to put in a section where stealth is possible and might be a good idea when you are low on ammo or health, then that's fine. Or a section where a vehicle is useful or has to be used to make a particular jump, that's also fine. But when it gets forced on the player so it's like THIS IS NOW A STEALTH GAME or THIS IS NOW A VEHICLE GAME then it sucks. The same applies to controlling a turret.

good point. Agree with you. I'll give a perfect example of what you talking about.

On Far Cry 1I loved the vehicles because they look cool, they fit on the enviroment, and the most important: they're OPTIONAL.

The same applies on the stealth for that game. You can just make a fuzz, waste ammo, blow everything else, and go past. Or if you prefer, you can go stealth. Its your call.

I enjoy stealth/vehicle gameplay kind of variety on non-linear games or sections at least. On a painfully linear-scripted mayhem like DNF the driving, turrets were horrible. All of them felt like fillers.

Back on Reloaded, I didn't enjoy this new features. I just wish they threw some old scholl Duke 3D gameplay on a modern engine, and new visuals for the most. But retain the same mechanics, same enemies, same fun. Its exactly what most duke fans were trying to do all these years, creating Duke 3D on goldsrc, source, to be shutdown by asshole Broussard. Now these guys had a golden chance to do some mod (tc, whatever). However I won't make harsh judgmements before release (if it gots released, Black Mesa Source has tons of vids, pics, material and its far from seeinfg the light of day).

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 01 September 2011 - 01:47 PM

Shadow Warrior had drivable vehicles, although extremely limited by the current tech they weren't obtrusive to the overall game. If done well they can fit in perfectly fine with Duke Nukem. The earliest DNF videos had them. As a remake of Duke Nukem 3D I just don't see it working without totally changing the level design or making a separate tacked on driving section like the final DNF. It's an unnecessary addition to a game that never needed it.

Graywolf made a good point about vehicles in Far Cry 1. The first time I played the game I used them and had fun with it. Knowing I had the freedom to totally ignore them I played again and it turned out to be the best way to go (for me, at least). I like having options when I play. DNF has so many examples of what not to do. But those are totally different experiences. Half Life 2 is sort of in the similar vein as Duke Nukem. The vehicle sections were a mixed bag, but I felt were on the right track. If they cut out half of the driving and allowed you the option to go it on foot it'd be perfect.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 01 September 2011 - 02:20 PM

User is offline   Ronin 

A group of people who really know what Duke is about should just make a Duke game with all the bells and whistles of modern tech and release it, once its out its out, what can they do then? I have being playing Streets of Rage Remake a lot lately, Sega didnt allow it but Im still playing it as are thousands of others.

We only stand to gain with Duke Nukem Reloaded, if its good we win if not whats it to us? We didnt put in the time and effort on that project so Im not pushed if its good we win, if not who cares? Though it is a shame the 3D community who made awesome work with build dont get the right to do it, that is an injustice.

View PostMad Max RW, on 01 September 2011 - 02:14 PM, said:

Shadow Warrior had drivable vehicles, although extremely limited by the current tech they weren't obtrusive to the overall game. If done well they can fit in perfectly fine with Duke Nukem. The earliest DNF videos had them. As a remake of Duke Nukem 3D I just don't see it working without totally changing the level design or making a separate tacked on driving section like the final DNF. It's an unnecessary addition to a game that never needed it.

Graywolf made a good point about vehicles in Far Cry 1. The first time I played the game I used them and had fun with it. Knowing I had the freedom to totally ignore them I played again and it turned out to be the best way to play (for me, at least). I like having options when I play. DNF has so many examples of what not to do.

Yeah, when it comes to Far Cry 1 i'm pretty much suspect to talk about.I love that game so much. I enjoyed the second one from ubisoft as well (IMO a very underrated game), but the first Far Cry is a masterpiece and for me personally has endless single player replay value, like Duke Nukem 3D and Doom 3.
Its funny, because both games (FC1 and Doom 3) were ofuscated by the massively overrrated Half-life 2, a game that IMO DNF took so much inspiration (correct if i'm wrong, but broussard himself said years ago that its one of his all time favorite games). And the thing that makes HL2 distinct from Doom 3 and Far Cry, is the boring "adventure" and "gameplay variety" approach, that's (for me) what ruined DNF, and HL2 as well. The fist half-life altought I loved it, it was more straight to the point and fun than the second one.

It may sound elitist, but for me a shooter should be a shooter.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 01 September 2011 - 02:39 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDeeperThought, on 01 September 2011 - 07:55 AM, said:

When Polymer finally gets that long awaited overhaul, maybe DNE can get the attention it deserves. I know I will promote it.

Amen! Posted Image

View PostDeeperThought, on 01 September 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

Yea but at the same time. I have played a lot of games. I have a few games which i like more than the rest. I have played these games for so many hours that you would cry if you heard it. All of these games has one thing in common. They have at least one section in the game that i hate. I'm not sure if it's because the good parts shine really bright. Or that the bad parts make the good parts shine brighter. So i think bad parts in games can actually make a game better if done right.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options