Duke4.net Forums: Whats with all the hate on DN:3D Reloaded? - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Whats with all the hate on DN:3D Reloaded?

User is offline   Graywolf 

No offense, but people that claims "Doom 3 is shit", deserves to play crap like DNF.

Doom 3 was not a perfect game, I agree. But even being linear, provided tons of secrets, immersion and non-stop SHOOTING action. It can be repetitive? yes, a little. But that's mostly for level design than any other reason. From any first-person shooter fan perspective, Doom 3 is far from "shit". Its a raw shooter, it doesn't have forced driving sections, stupid puzzles or bad gunfights like Half-life 2, so no wonder why people were annoyed by the simplicity of Doom 3. Most people prefer the stupid "gameplay variety" approach of Half-life 2. Half-life 2 is overrated shit.

And DNF is just shit. How the hell people dare to compare Doom 3 to DNF? Worse, claims that "DNF is better" ?

EDIT: removed "rude" comment.

This post has been edited by Graywolf: 15 September 2011 - 05:14 PM

View PostGraywolf, on 15 September 2011 - 01:19 PM, said:

No offense, but people that claims "Doom 3 is shit", deserves to play crap like DNF.

Doom 3 was not a perfect game, I agree. But even being linear, provided tons of secrets, immersion and non-stop SHOOTING action. It can be repetitive? yes, a little. But that's mostly for level design than any other reason. From any first-person shooter fan perspective, Doom 3 is far from "shit". Its a raw shooter, it doesn't have forced driving sections, stupid puzzles or bad gunfights like Half-life 2, so no wonder why people were annoyed by the simplicity of Doom 3. Most people prefer the stupid "gameplay variety" approach of Half-life 2. Half-life 2 is overrated shit.

And DNF is just shit. How the hell people dare to compare Doom 3 to DNF? Worse, claims that "DNF is better" ? Only a DNF fanboy from the gearbox forums would say something bizarre like this.

I like how you say "no offense" and then start a long ass rant, but then conclude it by dissing people whose opinions are different from yours for liking DNF better than Doom 3. So just because people who like DNF, automatically makes them "fanboys from the GBX forums"? GTFO. That place has nothing but ass kissers, I'll agree, but to diss someone for having enjoyment out of the damn game and prefer it over your precious Doom 3 (or any game for that matter), not only does it make people not take you seriously, but it also makes you look like whiny bitch. Just saying...

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 15 September 2011 - 04:19 PM

User is offline   Graywolf 

View Postthelegend4ever, on 15 September 2011 - 04:18 PM, said:

I like how you say "no offense" and then start a long ass rant, but then conclude it by dissing people whose opinions are different from yours for liking DNF better than Doom 3. So just because people who like DNF, automatically makes them "fanboys from the GBX forums"? GTFO. That place has nothing but ass kissers, I'll agree, but to diss someone for having enjoyment out of the damn game and prefer it over your precious Doom 3 (or any game for that matter), not only does it make people not take you seriously, but it also makes you look like whiny bitch. Just saying...

I'm sorry for the "gearbox DNF fanboy" part, that was uncalled for. However, I keep the rest of the post.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

And DNF is just shit. How the hell people dare to compare Doom 3 to DNF? Worse, claims that "DNF is better" ?

No offense, but Doom 3 is shit too. Also, i would like to point out that Doom 3 isn't a raw shooter... its a Horror shooter... with a rather stupid protagonist who doesn't know how to duck tape a flashlight to a gun, so you run around in the dark shooting at something you think moved. Also how is variety stupid? Let me put it this way... do you like eating PB and J sandwiches every day for the rest of your life? I don't... if variety is done right it can be good... kinda like what they did in HL2. However, seeing a you don't like HL2 or any other game with "gameplay variety" you must really love repetitive boringness.... so i won't waste my time explaining things to you any longer.

One more thing i put the "No offense" in there as a joke... ain't i a clever guy? :(

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostReaperMan, on 15 September 2011 - 07:05 PM, said:

One more thing i put the "No offense" in there as a joke... ain't i a clever guy? :(

The joke usage of "no offense" is identical to the non-joke usage. When people say "no offense" it invariably means "I'm about to say something that will offend you". I don't know why they bother.

User is offline   Lunick 

I liked Doom 3 but I thought Quake 4 used the engine better. I also like DNF better than those 2 games.

Back on topic, I do not hate DN:3D Reloaded :(

This post has been edited by Lunick: 15 September 2011 - 10:43 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I personally felt Far Cry was more impressive in both gameplay and tech. It also came out several months before either of them.

View PostDescent, on 15 September 2011 - 11:24 AM, said:

I think it's worse than E.T. It's far and away the worst game I've ever played and I didn't even play it until last week. This is coming from the guy who owns an actual E.T. cartridge.

LMAO, to me, the Sonic series started to go downhill since...shit I don't even remember...it's been that long since I've touched a good Sonic game. Apparently Nintendo thinks so too...since they made him the shittiest character in Smash Bros Brawl. Oh yeah, and I donno why, but I actually bought an ET cartridge at a flea market for 10 cents. I still question why I did.

And umm...Duke Reloaded looks/sounds good.

User is offline   Hank 

View Postfuegerstef, on 15 September 2011 - 06:10 AM, said:

vote for your favourite Freeze-Ray secondary firemode:

https://www.facebook.com/DukeReloaded

PS: One or the other thread to discuss some gameplay elements to get a feel for the community's opinion about them will follow soon.
:( :( :P

I can't vote at Facebook, well, I have enough problems with my real life never mind a cyber one.
Anyways, please no primary or secondary sniper mode. Yes, I'm old school, snipers belong into military operations like Delta Force Team Play, not in a death match, or please make DM maps to suit a team play as well, say eight against eight, then snipers would work well. This is based on my office workers. It is a lot of fun.

Secondary fire: Freezer, block doors, switches etc. Posted Image

Secondary mode for freezer: enable to freeze water to find secrets or solve puzzles, that would be one hell of a cool feature.

User is offline   Person of Color 

• Senior Unpaid Intern at Viceland

EDIT: removed "rude" comment.

Doom 3 didn't have non stop shooting action. They made sure of that by placing no more than three ammo pickups in any given level, and by making sure that all combat was done with small numbers of enemies. As for a "little" repetitive? Nigga please. Even Blake Stone had more diversity in it's level design, and was a much better game to boot. Also, Doom 3's AI is like the bastard child of a border collie and that Down Syndrome kid who needed a quick fix for his virginity.

Half Life's driving sections rocked, the puzzles weren't stupid, and the gunfights were a thousand times more epic than Doom 3's shitty-ass ones. I'm sorry, but REAL AI, an actual squad, and dozens of super soldiers in a perfect dystopian world is positively visceral. It beats the shit out of Doom 3's "Two zombies and an Imp" gunfights, which are a quick cheap thrill and almost never epic.

Doom 3 reminds me of a really bad Doom clone that for some reason has problems running under Windows 95 and must be run under pure DOS. Except it has shadows.

Your taste in games is simplistic and gay. If a cheap rush is all you're after go do crystal meth. It's always available and doesn't have a development cycle. Or you could play Call of Duty, a game with all the finesse of Bobby Kotick's sweaty meat hammer.

Also, is HL1 really that much of a sacred cow to you guys? I got seven downvotes for something I've been saying for years, as have people on The Internet and my own personal friends.

This post has been edited by Descent: 16 September 2011 - 07:45 AM

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I loved HL1. And I'm not speaking from nostalgia. I thought it was one of the best games of that era, actually the best. Is it better than HL2? I don't know, maybe. But I do know that Half-Life 1 was an excellent game and I have fond memories of when I first discovered it and played through it long before HL2 came out. I still go back and play it every now and then. It had a great atmosphere, great gameplay (the final boss and the entire Xen world was a little clunky and strange, but otherwise), fantastic story, characters, voice acting, creepiness. Just an all around great game for its time. It was fantastic.

Is it better than Doom 3? YES.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 September 2011 - 09:45 AM

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 September 2011 - 09:45 AM, said:

...(the final boss and the entire Xen world was a little clunky and strange, but otherwise)...

I hated Xen when I played the game back in '99. But strangely I've become more attracted to it and nowadays I enjoy playing through it. I guess one reason is because I sucked at the game back in the days but as the years have gone by I've grown to be much better at the game and sorta appreciate the sudden shift in atmosphere and gameplay.

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

I hate the new grabbag in their website. Vertexguy has spoiled me.

View PostDavoX, on 18 September 2011 - 12:35 PM, said:

I hate the new grabbag in their website. Vertexguy has spoiled me.

Although Vortexguy did a really good job on his take of Grabbag, I'm honestly tired of seeing/hearing every version tryin to sound like the Megadeath one that came out in 1999 lately. To me it's like you hear one, you hear em all. Not to take anything away from him, but I wish it would've been alittle more original.

This post has been edited by thelegend4ever: 18 September 2011 - 09:18 PM

User is offline   Oook 

Doom 3 is far away from the fun and intensity of the first, but it's still a good game. Much better than HL2.
On the other hand, I find Half Life one of the most innovative games I've ever played. It was not only original, it was really fun. The second has new things as the gravity gun, but Valve forgot that a game must be fun.

Some people say Doom3, others say Half Life 2...I say Far Cry and Painkiller

This post has been edited by Oook: 19 September 2011 - 06:36 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostOook, on 19 September 2011 - 12:11 AM, said:

Doom 3 is far away from the fun and intensity of the first, but it's still a good game. Much better than HL2.
On the other hand, I find Half Life one of the most innovative games I've ever played. It was not only original, it was really funny. The second has new things as the gravity gun, but Valve forgot that a game must be funny.

Did you mean "fun"? Cause HL never had much comedy in it to be a "funny" game.

User is offline   Oook 

View PostHelel, on 19 September 2011 - 02:16 AM, said:

Did you mean "fun"? Cause HL never had much comedy in it to be a "funny" game.

Hmm, interesting appreciation. English is not my main language and sometimes I find difficult to find the correct word. But you cannot refuse that the scientists were funny :(

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Half Life is a nice game, yes, but I didn't play it until many years after it's release. My opinion on it is as much the same as the Lord of the Rings film trilogy. I remember it fondly, and held great enjoyment from it in my first experience, but each subsequent run through is more and more boring, with the flaws becoming ever more evident. To boot, it just takes too long overall. I've also always thought that Blue Shift and Opposing Force are the best games in the entire series.

As for the whole Doom3 thing, I don't particularly care. I've never played Doom3 and don't really intend to, though I may at some point. All of what I know points to it not really being a true Doom experience and therefor doesn't not pique an interest at all. Yet since it is not a compromised Doom experience, ala Duke Nukem Forever which was extremely compromised, my opinion of it would not being comparing it to Doom 1 and 2, but rather taking it in as it's own thing. DNF doesn't get that courtesy, because it was compromising. id wanted to try something new with the Doom universe, and with DNF someone decided to water down Duke's universe.

Doom 3 isn't even redeeming as it's own thing. Even if you ignore the first two, it's a tedious game that grows thin after a few hours.

I still have the leaked alpha version. Doom 3 v0.02. Sounds fucking incredible..It has the Trent Reznor sound effects that got cut because id Software are shitheads. It's one of the best sounding games I've ever played.

What's weird too is that the particle beam room survived from the E3 alpha and made it into the final version! Even the color changing effect on the beam was unchanged. If you think about it, the odds are usually a million to one that content that old and early, built just for an E3 demo, would ever see the light of day.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

I loved how the zombies would get back up several seconds after you gunned them down. They could have easily kept that in for Hard mode. The alpha demo was way more atmospheric than the final game.

User is offline   ---- 

If you have a few moments between HL1 and Doom3 bashing/praising ... feel free to give some input on the matter of environmental kills in DN3DRr:

http://www.dukenukem...&p=14380#p14380

Hello,

internally we are discussing lot's of stuff about the gameplay and what the community would think of it. But sometimes it is best to ask the community itself about the matter.

In Duke Nukem Reloaded we will have environmental kills. They won't dominate the game (as for example in Hard Reset) but they are there. We have the usual exploding barrels that can kill opponents or for example a chandelier that might smash an opponent if you shoot it off the ceiling the right moment.

We now would like to have your opinion about the scoring and/or achievements for environmental kills.

Should they score more than a normal kill? If yes, how much? Would achievements for environmental kills affect multiplayer in a negative or positive way. And all that.

Feel free to discuss and to share opinions and suggestions on the matter.

Thanks in advance for a mature discussion,
The DN3DR team.

We will also check this thread, so you can of course post your opinions and suggestions here ... I hope we find it among all the HL/Doom posts. :(

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 20 September 2011 - 05:21 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View Postfuegerstef, on 20 September 2011 - 05:17 AM, said:

We will also check this thread, so you can of course post your opinions and suggestions here ... I hope we find it among all the HL/Doom posts. :(

I think score it as a normal kill. No need to over-complicate things. The sheer joy of killing an enemy by dropping a chandelier on them is reward enough!

Although on the multiplayer side, yes I think they should count for something extra (like idk double points), because IMO it takes more skill/better reflexes to get the timing right to kill someone with an environmental kill in MP, especially since everyone's always moving and jumping around.

View PostMad Max RW, on 20 September 2011 - 05:07 AM, said:

I loved how the zombies would get back up several seconds after you gunned them down. They could have easily kept that in for Hard mode. The alpha demo was way more atmospheric than the final game.

Amen, the alpha was where half of my anticipation came from!

This post has been edited by Descent: 20 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

User is offline   necroslut 

View Postfuegerstef, on 20 September 2011 - 05:17 AM, said:

If you have a few moments between HL1 and Doom3 bashing/praising ... feel free to give some input on the matter of environmental kills in DN3DRr:

IMO they should score the same as normal kills, to not shift the focus away from the normal gameplay. While it might be true that it takes more skill to get enviromental kills, the other way around may also be true and scoring more points on such kills often result in rendering the "normal way" more or less useless for scoring points.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

What's with this 'score' nonsense?

User is offline   ---- 

My personal opinion on the matter is that environmental kills should only score a little higher than a normal kill (2 or 3 points) and only work that way in FFA or single player. Give it normal score in teamgames. That way you can be sure one won't win because he camps some environmental spot and does better than the others and it also makes sure your teammates don't ruin the match for you because they go for special kills.

The same goes for achievements or XP points.

I got so annoyed in DNF'smultiplayer when I wanted to play HTTK and some teammembers only were going for some weird stuff to level up instead of playing for winning the match.

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 21 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

No score in single player please. Some SP "challenge" mode or whatever with the score - why not, but not in the main campaign.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Experience, leveling, and scores are stupid. Even in DM your 'score' should just be a tally of your actual kills, and not bloated with convoluted 'bonuses.'

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 21 September 2011 - 01:41 PM

User is offline   Hool 

View PostThePinkus, on 04 September 2011 - 03:28 PM, said:

The 1998 game just sounds like someone went "Oh snap someone got picked up by Gearbox for wanting to remake Duke3D! I want to get picked up by them! Must start a project!"
It didn't help that they apparently had gun models and maps done within a day or two. I doubt they actually got anything done in that amount of time and they were probably lying/exaggerating, or maybe they actually did get it all done and it all just looked horrible. But I doubt that project will survive.
My 2 cents though. A 1998 DNF would be cool methinks.

I wasn't lying/exaggerating at all. Those models and maps were made to see if we could actually make it happen.

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options