Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem 3D HD - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Nukem 3D HD  "HD remake of the original sprites."

User is offline   Mark 

You might find that taking a screen capture directly in front of an object might not look right in the game for all sprites. The fire hydrant will be below the players straight ahead view so the sprite pic may need to be taken from a little higher up looking down.Trial and error a few times to get the right look.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 981.jpg

This post has been edited by Marked: 26 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I would say try to match the original sprite unless it is a grievous error.

User is offline   Mark 

Yup. My mistake. I just looked at the original sprite and its from directly in front just like Wesker did. Never mind.

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

View PostHendricks266, on 26 May 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

For your renders to be viable, you need to disable all filtering and antialiasing. Let the game handle that, otherwise you will get a double dose of blurring which looks bad.

Yeah, that would look better. I tried doing it with Blender, but I couldn't even get as far as to setting it up to import the models. I kept getting an error. Wesker said he's using 3DS Max. I'm sure it has those settings, but I don't think he knows how to do it.

User is offline   chicken 

• Fashionable Modeler

One thing that bothers me about those sprites is that they look edgy because the models are lowpoly.
I would suggest trying subsurf in Blender or an equivalent function in 3DSMax to make them a little smoother.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

I was just going to say that. Those were some of the earliest models in the HRP and they are very low poly. The fact that they have 256 pixel skins isn't going to do you any favours either.

Rendering for 'display' rather than game is a COMPLETELY different method of doing things.

I would suggest doing a bit of surgery first on these models. Adding some geometry and then applying a Sub-surf modifier as chicken suggested (in Max it's 'Turbo-smooth').

If it's a 256 pixel skin, I would recommend chucking it and starting afresh.

This is the health bottle. I've done a 'quick and dirty' job on it as I just wanted to show what was possible if you took a bit of time and approached it from a different direction.

1. Used Misfit Model 3D to convert the MD3 to and OBJ. (there are importers for MD3 for Blender 2.49b, but not the latest one).
2. Converted to quads (needed to get nice smoothing for raytracing and makes adding extra edge loops a LOT easier)
3. Added geometry and a subsurf modifier to get a nice smooth shape.
4. Redid the skins as 1024 with proper maps for bump and diffuse.
5. Added an HDRI image for rendering.
6. Got a nice path-tracing image out of Blender's Cycles renderer.

I've used Cycles as I didn't want to spend too much time on this. If you were using Blender, then you'd want to use the Yafaray raytracer as it supports normal maps. This will save you a lot of time when you get to the later models that have normal maps and more modern polycounts. If you are using Max, I'm pretty sure that Mental Ray will handle normal maps.

You'll want to remove any trace of 'baked on' lighting from your texture maps. This will fight with your renderer.

When you set up your lights, you'll want to try to reproduce the look and feel of the sprite. Spots are good for dramatic lighting and area lights are good for more 'studio' setups.

Wesker500, I'm not a Max Guru, but if you want any help, PM me.

Cycles render:
Posted Image

Model in viewport after a smooth and adding a few edge loops:
Posted Image

User is offline   Mark 

Just to make sure we understand the process, please do about another 20 or 25 and upload the results for us to "study". :)

This post has been edited by Marked: 27 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

User is offline   Shelia 

Not to bump and old threat but is there a nude version of this?

View PostYoko, on 12 March 2014 - 04:17 PM, said:

Not to bump and old threat but is there a nude version of this?

Desperate, huh? :blink: I never really got anywhere with this. The only thing it had were a few slime babes. Only one of them was nude.

User is offline   Shelia 

I have nude art for the normal babes and would rather not get rit of that for this.

Also i don't want to go through installing the HRP pack again.

This post has been edited by Yoko: 12 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

This pack really isn't suitable to be released. It didn't have that much stuff in it anyway and now I have a lot of unrelated stuff installed in it. I started using it just to test out sprites and textures. I could send you the sprites if you want them, though. There are only 3 of them.

User is offline   Shelia 

would rather have them nude like the hanging babe without the panties. What happend to Sebab?

for old times sake I suppose you could send me the sprites I don't think 'll use them in game though.

I think if you would continue this for the babes and make a nude version similar to the duke nudes one it'd be really good.

This post has been edited by Yoko: 12 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

View PostYoko, on 12 March 2014 - 04:58 PM, said:

I think if you would continue this for the babes and make a nude version similar to the duke nudes one it'd be really good.

If Sebab ever returns and wants to finish the babes, I'll package them up and release it just with the babes alone.

User is offline   Shelia 

Yeah if he comes back tell him to lose the thongs and make it more like the dukenudes. I would download that if they were nude.

View PostYoko, on 12 March 2014 - 06:06 PM, said:

Yeah if he comes back tell him to lose the thongs and make it more like the dukenudes. I would download that if they were nude.

Will do.

Posted Image

User is offline   Shelia 

Yeah the thongs if anything are just censorship I don't like it.

is there a chance someone else could do it?

This post has been edited by Yoko: 12 March 2014 - 06:36 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

[DEGENERACY INTENSIFIES]

User is offline   brownfarted 

• The Original Shitposter

View PostJimmy, on 12 March 2014 - 07:16 PM, said:

[DEGENERACY INTENSIFIES]

Posted Image

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

^ This guy is my most favorite fucking troll ever.

User is offline   Shelia 

Shrinks Comrade and Brown fart and puts them into a hamster cage.

User is offline   NNC 

Shrink Yoko and squish him with the almighty boot.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Shrinks planet.... squishes everyone.

User is offline   Shelia 

Alright enough shrinking go do a duke match if that's what you want back on topic please?

User is offline   NNC 

OK, let's go back on topic:

Duke Nukem 3d HD is cancelled by its author.

Source: Post #189

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options