• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Nukem 3D HD  "HD remake of the original sprites."

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

all outta gum, on 14 May 2012 - 12:36 AM, said:

you are also forgetting the duke sprites,
because he has to look damn good in the mirror

Duke will be in the Characters category. There can be more than one person working on the same category of sprites.

but a base art style has to be agreed upon,
my mock ups will be up when i get my scanner this pay day.
because if we dont we may end up with sprites that look nothing like the other,
i think one of the past post's had touched upon that.

Agreed, I was going to say that. I think Sebabdukeboss20 does a great job with the babe sprites. If we can get several more artists similar to him, we'll be in business. I look forward to seeing what you've done, too!

Edit:

Speaking of Sebab's babe sprites, I thought I would test out his unfinished version of 0603.

Attached Image: Duke3DHD0603.jpg

We're having a wardrobe malfunction with the thong, though. My fault. <_<

Attached Image: Duke3DHD1334.jpg

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 14 May 2012 - 09:57 PM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

NUKEMDAVE, on 14 May 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Speaking of Sebab's babe sprites, I thought I would test out his unfinished version of 0603.

Those HD pixels must have a lot of calories.

i also wanted to know how big the pictures would have to be to constituate as hd sprites,
you know the dimensions and such?

all outta gum, on 14 May 2012 - 09:55 PM, said:

i also wanted to know how big the pictures would have to be to constituate as hd sprites,
you know the dimensions and such?

Good question and I forgot to add that to the first post. Multiply the length and width of an original sprite by 10. Example: Let's say an original sprite is 32 X 32. The remade sprite should be 320 X 320. That should be plenty. I don't think we want to go any bigger than that. I've already got 4 of Sebab's sprites added and they're 2.43 MB altogether.

320 looks awful, just tested it
the way im planning for my end is hand drawn,
then scanned on,
i'll provide a sneak peek here in a few minutes via camshot,
so the focus may be off and stuff,
maybe someone out there can pixel it in form,
make it look very voxel shaped

This post has been edited by all outta gum: 14 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image[/img]

i am aware of the look,
it may seem off but its merely a mock up,
not representative of the final product,
but more or less and indication of the art style.
and that is to keep it simple and easily replicable.
i drew it in like 5 minutes and have since made changes,
so sue me his head is kind of big,
just a practice one, but his expression i feel would be that one
this pic is about 5 days old and the mock ups will not be coloured.

This post has been edited by all outta gum: 14 May 2012 - 10:54 PM

Even though that's not exactly like the original one, I like it. Still, the goal is to make the new sprites look like the originals, but we might be able to slide on the Duke sprites at least. We'll see. <_<

NUKEMDAVE, on 14 May 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

Even though that's not exactly like the original one, I like it. Still, the goal is to make the new sprites look like the originals, but we might be able to slide on the Duke sprites at least. We'll see. <_<

well that whole all gun thing drove me nuts.
and this was the mirror duke,
you know im looking good line.
and like i said it isnt colour or shaded,
because i feel some one else like one of these fine texture artist's could squeeze it in,
pixelate it and what not.
and it is also not representative of the final product,
as i was really jazzed about this idea and sped through this one,
not immediatley knowing i fucked up

Is it possible for you to print out one the original sprites large and place it under the piece of paper you're drawing on so you can trace it? That's probably what you'll have to do if you really want to get it accurate.

you know i was actually going to ask you to do that for me,
i had to draw with the game paused,

NUKEMDAVE, on 06 July 2011 - 07:39 PM, said:

Duke3D art extractor:
http://wg.duke4.net/files/dukeres.zip

You will need this program to extract the original sprites from the DUKE3D.GRP file. Right click a tile to save. Obviously, you'll need the original sprites to have something to go by. :)

You do have a copy of the PC version of the game, don't you? All you need is the DUKE3D.GRP file from the disc. You can extract all of the sprites in .bmp format with the program above.

and also insert art items correct?
or am i just short of information?

No, you can just extract with that as far as I know.

When every texture is remade, will it become packed in one, I'm not savvy installing modifications for old games, I like the HRP but i enjoy sprites more, and these being touched up and look original is exactly like I wanted it to be, I love it. I'll watch this thread to see the progression. I can't wait to see the weapons be done.

MalevolentJ, on 15 May 2012 - 07:08 PM, said:

When every texture is remade, will it become packed in one, I'm not savvy installing modifications for old games, I like the HRP but i enjoy sprites more, and these being touched up and look original is exactly like I wanted it to be, I love it. I'll watch this thread to see the progression. I can't wait to see the weapons be done.

Thanks and yes, it should all come in one pack. Unless the filesize is too huge. Some of the HRP will probably be combined with this project, like the textures and sprites.

I just Photoshopped the electrical outlet and the lightswitch sprites by the way. Progress!

Attached Image: D3DHDSwitchOutletComparison.jpg

Sorry for double post. I should've and would've put this in the post above, but no one would've noticed it probably. Yeah, this isn't drawings, but who would want to draw outlets and lightswitches when you can use images of real ones? Not everything in this project has to be hand-drawn. Whichever sprite can be remade with a real object will be remade with a real object.

I'm thinking that I should make a teaser trailer for this project when there's enough to show off. Maybe that will help attract some artists. If I could get most or all sprites remade in Hollywood Holocaust, I believe that would be enough to show off. All of the sprites in that level is pretty simple stuff, excluding the enemies. Bar stool, clock, fire extinguisher, fire hydrant, etc.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Those electrical boxes are looking good.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

You still gonna want some sprites used from DNF models or just stick to modifying the originals?

Wesker500, on 21 May 2012 - 02:19 PM, said:

You still gonna want some sprites used from DNF models or just stick to modifying the originals?

Remaking the originals. Let's make the DNF model sprites a totally separate project from this. I'm still interested in it, but we should make it a whole separate project and thread.

NUKEMDAVE, on 21 May 2012 - 03:07 PM, said:

Remaking the originals. Let's make the DNF model sprites a totally separate project from this. I'm still interested in it, but we should make it a whole separate project and thread.

Sounds good :)

Btw anything you need for Duke3D HD I could help with?

Wesker500, on 21 May 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

Btw anything you need for Duke3D HD I could help with?

Possibly. Do you think you could model the 30+ health bottle and sprite it? That would be something simple and easy for you to try. Someone already drew it a while back for me, but it wasn't quite accurate with the original sprite.

NUKEMDAVE, on 21 May 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

Possibly. Do you think you could model the 30+ health bottle and sprite it? That would be something simple and easy for you to try. Someone already drew it a while back for me, but it wasn't quite accurate with the original sprite.

Piece of cake :P
Posted Image

EDIT: If you like I can take the HUD Weapon models from the HRP and make HQ sprites from the models :)

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 21 May 2012 - 11:08 PM

Wesker500, on 21 May 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Piece of cake :P
Posted Image

EDIT: If you like I can take the HUD Weapon models from the HRP and make HQ sprites from the models :)

That's the HRP model, isn't it? Hmmm, It doesn't look bad except the top of the bottle should be rounded like the bottom. Would it be possible for you to reshape it to match the bottom? If not, that's ok. I'm starting to agree with Tea Monster about using the HRP models. This might be the easiest way to go.

Yeah, give the hud weapons a shot if you want. Just be sure to go by the original sprites to make it as accurate as possible.

NUKEMDAVE, on 21 May 2012 - 11:45 PM, said:

That's the HRP model, isn't it? Hmmm, It doesn't look bad except the top of the bottle should be rounded like the bottom. Would it be possible for you to reshape it to match the bottom? If not, that's ok. I'm starting to agree with Tea Monster about using the HRP models. This might be the easiest way to go.

Yeah, give the hud weapons a shot if you want. Just be sure to go by the original sprites to make it as accurate as possible.

Using the HRP models for the weapons and items is a good idea since its quicker and they look good, but I think the Characters and monsters should have their original sprites modified to HD.

• Weaponized Autism

I already rendered all the HRP weapons and items to textures because they are used in the modern HUD.

highres/screen/hud

I did them as correctly as I know to be possible, meaning they are all positioned optimally to match the sprite, they are very high resolution compared to the original tile dimensions, and they are unfiltered. The example +30 medpack Wesker posted above is filtered, unlike mine. Filtering should always be left to the game itself. Raw textures/assets/renders generally should expose the pixels rather than filtering.

Hendricks266, on 22 May 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

I already rendered all the HRP weapons and items to textures because they are used in the modern HUD.

highres/screen/hud

I did them as correctly as I know to be possible, meaning they are all positioned optimally to match the sprite, they are very high resolution compared to the original tile dimensions, and they are unfiltered. The example +30 medpack Wesker posted above is filtered, unlike mine. Filtering should always be left to the game itself. Raw textures/assets/renders generally should expose the pixels rather than filtering.

Awesome! I'll get those in and see what they look like.

Some Sprite previews made from HRP models:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Added bumps and specs on some.

• Weaponized Autism

For your renders to be viable, you need to disable all filtering and antialiasing. Let the game handle that, otherwise you will get a double dose of blurring which looks bad.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options