• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Nukem 3D HD  "HD remake of the original sprites."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

To complete that Jersey Shore look.

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Shave him bald while we're at it, like Bruce Willis.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

He needs a watch. With bling.

User is offline   thatguy 

He needs a.....well he needs to be left alone. :lol:

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

View PostDeeperThought, on 22 February 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

Or for a modern equivalent, tattoos that go around his arms in a similar fashion.

Heh, didn't fresch try that and fail miserably?

I like how people are secretly up/down voting this post without replying at all.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 24 February 2012 - 04:29 PM

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMad Max RW, on 23 February 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

Heh, didn't fresch try that and fail miserably?

Everything fresch tries, he fails miserably, so your statement is kind of redundant.

On that note, I'm almost afraid to see what Duke Nukem would look like with all of the above suggestions. A balding, tattooed muscle-man with a shiny watch and chain... :lol:

This post has been edited by The Mighty Bison: 24 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Apparently like a stupid rapper or something

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

You might want to get some more interesting lighting onto those figures, just to get that 'sprite' look.

• Polymancer

Cross-posting a bit, but I thought you would like to see the HUD pistol with some ray-traced lighting on it. I thought with a bit more work on the lighting, it might make some nice HD sprites. If someone wants the .blend file, ask.
Posted Image

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 29 February 2012 - 12:34 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image
That looks really good.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 29 February 2012 - 12:33 AM, said:

Cross-posting a bit, but I thought you would like to see the HUD pistol with some ray-traced lighting on it. I thought with a bit more work on the lighting, it might make some nice HD sprites. If someone wants the .blend file, ask.

I'm asking! Not for the lighting (the shadow effect is too strong for my taste), but if I have the model, I am going to add a silencer.

• Polymancer

I've put it in the resources thread so it's a bit more cohesive.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 01 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

User is offline   Hank 

^ Cheers! :lol:

You are the best. I don't want to use stuff from the HRP set - now I have the model and know exactly who to give credit too.

This post has been edited by Hank: 01 March 2012 - 04:02 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

I was wondering something. When they posed the original 3D models to make the sprites for Duke3D, I wonder if the original sprites were higher resolution, but reduced for Duke3D? I would think so. If only we could get our hands on them if they still existed. That's all we need. We wouldn't need the models. I'm pretty sure higher resolution sprites existed and still do or how else did they make these Xbox 360 backgrounds:

http://forums.3dreal...ead.php?t=33043

User is offline   Mia Max 

Xbox 360 backgrounds are three pictures.
But each monster has plenty of sprites for acting and different angels.
I don't think that the original sprites from 3DRealms had high resolutions, because it would has been a lot of work and they knew, that PCs weren't able to run highres sprites back to these days.
So there wasn't any reason of doing this, I think.

• Polymancer

I hate to break this to you, but that *IS* the HRP model. It's just raytraced, rather than rendered in game. The only difference is that Spiker used Parkar's hands when he animated it.

If you want to credit someone, credit me (Tea Monster) for the gun and Millenia for the hands.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostTea Monster, on 03 March 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

I hate to break this to you, but that *IS* the HRP model. It's just raytraced, rather than rendered in game. The only difference is that Spiker used Parkar's hands when he animated it.

If you want to credit someone, credit me (Tea Monster) for the gun and Millenia for the hands.

Not sure if you meant me. Yes, a pistol, that looks extremely close to your work, is part of the HRP set. See the spoiler for the list of credits.
Spoiler

Thanks to your effort, I now have a pistol with hand and can alter some elements for my own purposes. Using anything HRP, a] I believe is not permitted, b] even if it is, it it will fall under the 3D Realms umbrella, c] how do I know who did what.

And since I now know who did the hand, (not on the list?) a hand to work with as well. :lol:

This post has been edited by Hank: 03 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

• Polymancer

Glad you got some use out of them.

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 03 March 2012 - 08:48 AM

• Glory To Motherland!

Seems rather redundant to just yank a model from the HRP for the purpose of an HD sprite pack, isn't it?

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostMia Max, on 03 March 2012 - 02:40 AM, said:

Xbox 360 backgrounds are three pictures.
But each monster has plenty of sprites for acting and different angels.
I don't think that the original sprites from 3DRealms had high resolutions, because it would has been a lot of work and they knew, that PCs weren't able to run highres sprites back to these days.
So there wasn't any reason of doing this, I think.

I'm not sure what you mean here, but to clarify, they were originally very detailed models. Probably something akin to ZBrush. Then they just did screen grabs of it at different angles and animations. It's likely that at one point those screen-grabs were in a higher resolution, which were then downsized, converted to palette, and cleaned up. There is a lot of image sizing errors and palette dirtiness on angles and animations you don't really see too often. It's really evident in the back angles of the Pigcop. (I'm currently working on an art pack that has cleaned up and extra Pigcop animations. Those are all done, I'm just working on some other stuff to release all together.) I highly doubt that any of those higher-res screengrabs exist, and it's even doubtful the original models still exist.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 03 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 03 March 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

...and it's even doubtful the original models still exist.

I already asked and they do. Getting them is a different story. If the models still exist, I'm sure there's higher resolution sprites lying around. I'll try asking a different person one more time. The guy who made the models.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Ah, yeah well, the reason I say it's doubtful is because back then they didn't really keep stuff like that. You didn't think about the future. I figured the models were still around somewhere, but I'd be highly surprised if the original sprites were still laying around.

• Polymancer

Yeah, but if you did get the models, rather than the sprites, then you could make even better sprites as rendering tech has come a lloooooonnnnggggggg way since 1995.

User is offline   xMobilemux 

My shot at the Battlelord sprite using the DNF battlelord, this was rather difficult since I couldnt get the armor for the DNF BL.

Posted Image

Not perfect I know lol

Looks good! If you could get the muzzle flash and some lighting on it, it would be perfect. I never got a reply about the original models/sprites. It looks like we're going to have to try this method unless things changes.

Also, I downloaded the pistol model Tea Monster provided. The problem is that I have no experience with Blender. I'm trying to learn how to use it. If anyone else downloaded the model and wants to give it a try in the meantime, go right ahead. Just be sure to go by the original sprite(s). The goal is to make it resemble them as much as possible.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

idk it looks very desaturated, it could use some more colour. And for some reason it's missing all its armour. I swear the ingame DNF battlelord had a lot more armour.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

He said that.

yall are serious about this cheating? fuck using the duke nukem forever and hrp models,
i know it would be difficult to draw them by hand,
but that is artist style, i propose we settle on an art style,
i am actively making mock ups,
i will have them up next week, the way i can figure it can be done is disney style,
where we replicate the style, about 10 of us if anyone is intrested,
then some other people can color them to photoshop,
seeing as how the coloring by hand will be difficult as fuck, and this project can move along,
without fucking cheat codes, because damn im good is the hardest, but most rewarding, no cheats

Well, I like the idea of trying to use the DNF models, but I think it should be a separate project and thread. Wesker500, when and if you plan to make any more stuff, go ahead and make your own thread for it. Don't worry, I'm still interested in what you're trying to do, but you can take more credit for the project than me. I'll still assist in making it happen, though. <_<

I updated the first post of this thread by the way. Anyone interested in contributing to this project should check it out.

Furthermore, I think there should be an artist or artists assigned for each category of sprites. Sebabdukeboss20 says he can handle the babe sprites, so he will be in charge of that if he's still interested in this. Here are positions available:

Babes:
sebabdukeboss20

Characters (excluding babes):
?

Enemies:
?

Weapons (both pickup and hud):
?

Pickups:
?

Props:
?

That's not all categories of sprites, but those are the best places to start.

This post has been edited by NUKEMDAVE: 14 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

you are also forgetting the duke sprites,
because he has to look damn good in the mirror

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options