• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Duke Nukem 3D HD  "HD remake of the original sprites."

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWesker500, on 19 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

.png format is piece of cake for me since I have Photoshop, all I need to know is how to code it in. I guess I could get some DNF stuff in there if you could :lol:

http://dukertcm.com/...tart-guide.html
I posted that link on another thread today.
The main trick is to use the Duke palette for all of your work. The simplest way to get the palette is to extract one tile from Duke 3D and import the palette with it. Photoshop somehow garbles the palette, at least the version I used to use. If you are willing to switch to The GIMP, I'll explain how to do it with that program. Even so free, it is ten times better than Photoshop IMNSHO Posted Image

Cheers.

This post has been edited by Hank: 19 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

User is offline   xMobilemux 

View PostHank, on 19 February 2012 - 07:42 PM, said:

http://dukertcm.com/...tart-guide.html
I posted that link on another thread today.
The main trick is to use the Duke palette for all of your work. The simplest way to get the palette is to extract one tile from Duke 3D and import the palette with it. Photoshop somehow garbles the palette, at least the version I used to use. If you are willing to switch to The GIMP, I'll explain how to do it with that program. Even so free, it is ten times better than Photoshop IMNSHO Posted Image

Cheers.

I could try to get GIMP :lol: But I am a complete noob at this since I dont even know how to make my own maps using build, I try to learn using that site but who has the time?

The closest to moding DN3D i've done is replacing some textures in the HRP lol

But I would appreciate anyone that could help me to mod up DN3D more :P

User is offline   Rebecca 

View PostMia Max, on 19 February 2012 - 07:26 PM, said:

I am very interested in this project, but I have no experince in making sprites.
But I'll give it a try.
I want this project see finished, so I will try to help :lol:
But don't expect anything.

I am glad you are interested, like me. But like me and NUKEMDAVE have been discussing over skype, is the sad fact that the people who have the ideas and motivation to get behind something like this, lack the skill to pull it of.

I don't know If i can truly take the painful journey of learning to sprite and do a decent job of it, but maybe things will have to come to it. It just depends how much support this thing gets, if we really get a pact together here we could really pull this thing off.

User is offline   Mia Max 

Yes, hopefully this project gonna get finished.

I like good highres sprites more than models, because they have always the perfect look which the artist wants to show us.

This is just perfect, for example:

View Postsebabdukeboss20, on 13 July 2011 - 06:39 PM, said:

First pass on hanging babe.

Attachment hanging copy.jpg

View PostMia Max, on 19 February 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

Yes, hopefully this project gonna get finished.

I like good highres sprites more than models, because they have always the perfect look which the artist wants to show us.

This is just perfect, for example:

The redone sprite there is AMAZING. Who's work is this one? If we could get all sprites redone looking like that then in contrast we would have a Duke Nukem 3D HD Sprite pack, and for the users that prefer the retro style sprites to the 3D enemies, that's perfect. It's too much optimistic wishing, but damn that would be great

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: hanging copy.jpg

This post has been edited by Rebecca: 19 February 2012 - 08:09 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostRebecca, on 19 February 2012 - 07:59 PM, said:

I am glad you are interested, like me. But like me and NUKEMDAVE have been discussing over skype, is the sad fact that the people who have the ideas and motivation to get behind something like this, lack the skill to pull it of.

I don't know If i can truly take the painful journey of learning to sprite and do a decent job of it, but maybe things will have to come to it. It just depends how much support this thing gets, if we really get a pact together here we could really pull this thing off.

If you want to help make some HD sprites of the enemies, what you need to learn is modelling. Almost all sprite based enemies ever created have been sourced from models specifically created for the spriting process. If someone ever attempted to make them from hand, not only would it take a very unpractically long time, but you'd probably end up with inconsistencies. Of course if you're going to become really good at modelling you could also help out with the HRP Posted Image

User is offline   Hank 

View PostWesker500, on 19 February 2012 - 07:54 PM, said:

I could try to get GIMP :lol: But I am a complete noob at this since I dont even know how to make my own maps using build, I try to learn using that site but who has the time?

The closest to moding DN3D i've done is replacing some textures in the HRP lol

But I would appreciate anyone that could help me to mod up DN3D more :P

I'm sure photoshop does that also.
http://docs.gimp.org...s-palettes.html
This is from The GIMP manual

1. take any given tile from the Duke 3D set, and open The Gimp
2. In GIMP go to Windows > Pallette (right click) Import Palette [click on option 'from Image]
3. Save the palette as a name you can remember, and click on Import
4. Open any other image you plan to make a tile ( and select the color map you just saved)
5. Go to Colors > Map > Set Color Map
6. {Now the actual works starts} go to Color > Map > Edit color map to actually make the tile look good.
This can take hours! Would not matter if you just started. Still, there you have it

Cheers and good luck.

This post has been edited by Hank: 19 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

View PostHank, on 19 February 2012 - 08:33 PM, said:

I'm sure photoshop does that also.
http://docs.gimp.org...s-palettes.html
This is from The GIMP manual

1. take any given tile from the Duke 3D set, and open The Gimp
2. In GIMP go to Windows > Pallette (right click) Import Palette [click on option 'from Image]
3. Save the palette as a name you can remember, and click on Import
4. Open any other image you plan to make a tile ( and select the color map you just saved)
5. Go to Colors > Map > Set Color Map
6. {Now the actual works starts} go to Color > Map > Edit color map to actually make the tile look good.
This can take hours! Would not matter if you just started. Still, there you have it

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks, its gonna take me a long while to figure all that out lol

But about this Duke Nukem 3D HD, this is what I was talking about putting the DNF stuff into Duke 3D using Sprites:
Posted Image

Could things like this be put into DN3D HD?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostWesker500, on 19 February 2012 - 10:10 PM, said:

Could things like this be put into DN3D HD?

That's great, but it's hard to see the Cycloid's eye, and there is no lighting on the frame (kind of important in a frame where the monster is firing, as in the one pictured). Other than that, nice job imo.

View PostDeeperThought, on 19 February 2012 - 10:44 PM, said:

That's great, but it's hard to see the Cycloid's eye, and there is no lighting on the frame (kind of important in a frame where the monster is firing, as in the one pictured). Other than that, nice job imo.

Yes I agree, but this one wasnt meant to be the final version lol its just a test look to show you that I could help making some sprites using the DNF models, I also have the cut models for the ammo pick ups in DNF : http://forums.duke4....-cut-from-game/ <<They could be useful in the HRP or as HD sprites. :lol:

View PostWesker500, on 19 February 2012 - 10:51 PM, said:

Yes I agree, but this one wasnt meant to be the final version lol its just a test look to show you that I could help making some sprites using the DNF models, I also have the cut models for the ammo pick ups in DNF : http://forums.duke4....-cut-from-game/ <<They could be useful in the HRP or as HD sprites. :lol:

Your example actually looks promising. Maybe the creatures from DNF will finally fit somewhere they belong afterall

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Promising, yes. Certainly not as-is though. The DN3D version is distinctly more vibrant and dare I say aesthetically appealing.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostWesker500, on 19 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

.png format is piece of cake for me since I have Photoshop, all I need to know is how to code it in. I guess I could get some DNF stuff in there if you could :lol:

http://wiki.eduke32....ki/DEF_Language

Or look through the files of the HRP to see how it is setup, open the .DEF files in any text editor.
Should be rather self explanatory.

My example of the DNF Duke in DN3D HD, I hope I can help :lol: I kinda scaled the DN3D Duke a bit big lol

Posted Image

(This isnt the final version)

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 20 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

User is offline   NUKEMDAVE 

That's awesome, but it might be better if he was holding the shotgun. Or maybe even the the railgun.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Pretty good.

The teeth freak me out. The pants should be tucked into the boots; right now it looks casual, not like a professional ass-kicker.

He needs to have an arm on the front or side of the weapon, not two on the back.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 21 February 2012 - 01:00 AM

User is offline   thatguy 

Also I hope you know how to get rid of that hideous green transparency bleeding.

User is offline   Mia Max 

Looking good!
But maybe you can also use the advantage of sprites.
This is based on a model, right.
Can you render it as hell, some special effects and that kind of stuff?
It is going to be just a picture anyway, so we won't need to worry about performance.

View PostHendricks266, on 21 February 2012 - 12:59 AM, said:

Pretty good.

The teeth freak me out. The pants should be tucked into the boots; right now it looks casual, not like a professional ass-kicker.

He needs to have an arm on the front or side of the weapon, not two on the back.

The front arm is underneath the RPG but yeah it does look like its behind it, I'll be sure to fix that for the full version.

View Posts.b.Newsom, on 21 February 2012 - 01:23 AM, said:

Also I hope you know how to get rid of that hideous green transparency bleeding.

That was quick Photoshopping lol The magic wand sucks XDD

As for the weapon that will be replacing the RPG in DNF Duke's hands, I am making a crappy 3D model of the gun Sprite-Duke holds (dubbed the "Allgun" by Steven Johnson) that I will ad to the DNF Duke Sprite.
Posted Image
(This was a 30 minute model build so its no where near perfect lol )

I threw this in for laughs lol maybe a good title screen background?
http://th09.devianta...a6e-d4q3soj.jpg

This post has been edited by Wesker500: 21 February 2012 - 02:11 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

That model doesnt look that bad actually.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Yeah, a few tweaks and it will actually look good. Maybe, we could use it in the HRP.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 21 February 2012 - 04:47 AM

Well I've exported it into Duke's hands and I'd say its alright :lol:
Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

It needs some next-gen detail on it to blend into the style of the all the other DNF stuff. I know it's not done yet, but if you just put a simple metal texture on it, it will look strange.

View PostTea Monster, on 21 February 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

It needs some next-gen detail on it to blend into the style of the all the other DNF stuff. I know it's not done yet, but if you just put a simple metal texture on it, it will look strange.

I knew its current design wasnt that good which is why I made Duke's expression showing he does not approve lol

• Polymancer

LOL.

Good work on this so far

Oh, to clarify what someone asked earlier, it IS possible to get DNF models into EDuke, but it might not be a good idea due to legal reasons.

I've been using DNF models and pictures in DN3D and other games since its release and GBX hasnt done anything, I doubt they even will.

• Polymancer

Yeah, I was talking about the HRP using DNF assets. If you want to use them youreself, I highly doubt anyone will mind.

User is offline   RoyBatty 

Duke needs his sweat bands on his arms too, it's part of his look imo.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I hardly doubt anyone would KNOW let alone mind. It's when you start distributing it that bad things start to happen.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRoyBatty, on 22 February 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Duke needs his sweat bands on his arms too, it's part of his look imo.

Or for a modern equivalent, tattoos that go around his arms in a similar fashion.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options