Duke4.net Forums: How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF?

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDerickVonD, on 15 June 2011 - 07:24 AM, said:

I had a dream this morning, that mod tools came out for DNF and people fixed the game but It took 7 months from now to come out.

I have a nightmare about this. Try 15 years. Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Its called "DNF Mod for Duke Nukem Reloaded"!!!

User is offline   DerickVonD 

View PostTea Monster, on 15 June 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

They should just focus on remaking Duke 3D with the UT3 engine and add in all the Duke maps from Duke 3d plus some maps from DNF multiplayer. No need to work on a single player element.

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostDavoX, on 14 June 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

Sand box editors are for people that are either too dumb or too lazy. Everything might be easier but in return you are too restricted on how much you can really do. Plus Unreal Ed isn't that hard at all. You just gotta hace some will to read the docs and do tutorials. Like every powerful tool out there.

I hadn't read any tutorials for sandbox , it's so freaking makes sense , it's simply my favourite.

Easy to navigate and place stuff , you get in and in matter of days you're using it like hot cakes

the point is, it's fun , i don't find UE3 fun in any way

UE3 is like sex while smelling shit ... the freaking 2D views bird eye top down side side make it so unplesant.

This post has been edited by Stewox: 15 June 2011 - 12:37 PM

View PostStewox, on 15 June 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

I hadn't read any tutorials for sandbox , it's so freaking makes sense , it's simply my favourite.

Easy to navigate and place stuff , you get in and in matter of days you're using it like hot cakes

the point is, it's fun , i don't find UE3 fun in any way

UE3 is like sex while smelling shit ... the freaking 2D views bird eye top down side side make it so unplesant.

You just described using the Doom 3 editor not UT3.

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostDerickVonD, on 15 June 2011 - 12:48 PM, said:

You just described using the Doom 3 editor not UT3.

idk they all feel the same , UE3 and ID softwares were pretty much very similar in type

I just launched UDK

it feels unappealing because of the view .... all i see is some big box of lines , and i add stuff

yes, fine good , okay right advanded fine , good , okays , it's all right if it's more powerful than sandbox, but i personally take over WYSIWYG any day ... in a sandbox sytle , not additive. ... some editors are also substractive, weird weird stuff.

i don't hate it , it just don't like the idea, it's so gay :D i might be a fanboy over this, but with a freaking good reason.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Stewox: 15 June 2011 - 12:56 PM

View PostTea Monster, on 15 June 2011 - 12:09 PM, said:

Is it actually being worked on?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostStewox, on 14 June 2011 - 06:07 AM, said:

it's a weird 2D look from top side system i have no idea what im doing.

And you cannot deselct a brush?

Well, then you shouldn't talk AT ALL about this topic.

I bet you are one of those who needs the game helper function in DNF that makes the emergency box in the broken elevator flash and blink so that it is clear what to do in an otherwise empty room that is less than 2 by 2 meters, don't you?

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 15 June 2011 - 02:10 PM

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Stewox, your post was literally painful to read. I'm embarrassed for you. Try reading some beginner's tutorials before jumping into UDK. Don't want to read? Well I guess we know how many mods you will ever complete in your life. Exactly ZERO.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 15 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

User is offline   Stewox 

I like video tuts more :D

Then you're in luck. http://www.youtube.c...+tutorials&aq=f
A quick search came up with over 2,000 video tutorials.

UT3 has a great texture editor. You can make the materials as detailed as you want, to the point where they never get pixelated no matter how much you zoom into them. Although this greatly increases the size of the upk, but it's worth it if you have enough hdd space.

• Polymancer

Stewox - grab some vid tutorials, the Youtube is full of them.

Altered Reality - maybe. The feeling was that some of the people in the community would upgrade DNF the same way we did with DN3D. I always assumed this would be done with DNF, but they seem to have locked it all down, so the next logical step would be to use Reloaded, as they are using actuall UT3, rather than DNF's UT 2.5. Plus, hopefully, Reloaded won't be asset locked.

To some of the newer members of the forum - a lot of the guys have not gone and had a play with modern systems - part of that was 3D Realms' policy on shutting down mods using other engines - so a lot of the guys are going to be going directly from 1996 tech to 21st Century tech - "That gonna hurt!".

User is offline   Tetsuo 

I think it's oversimplifying it a little just to call DNF's engine UE2.5 I mean it doesn't share much in common with UE2.5 or even UE3 in the way it runs. I know this especially because I have had a hand in trying to get it to run via WINE and it doesn't act like a proper UE3\UE2.5 game or a modified one like Bioshock 1 & 2. It's more proprietary than it may seem at first brush. I thought it was pretty much established that they forked their engine even before UE2.5 yet kept on revising it since then.

User is offline   Stewox 

Oh just in time ... but it's ... away a few months

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Stewox: 16 June 2011 - 01:59 AM

User is offline   TUALMASOK 

It's a shame you won't use it, as it's obviously too difficult a concept for you to grasp.

User is offline   Romulus 

I dunno if it's the right thread to discuss this, but what're the chances of seeing better textures/models and fixed animations for DNF in the future?

As soon as people figure out how to repack modified textures into the game files it would be possible. Animations require the SDK.

Since the editor command tries to start the editor :D this might sound ridiculous but what if someone copies the editor.dll from another UE 2.5 based game on to DNF'S directory and see what happens? But my guess is it'll crash with some exception message, as the editor.dll isn't supposed to work as it wasn't meant for DNF in the first place...

Edit: My bad. The editor parameter tries to load a map named editor and not the DukeED, guess I was too enthusiastic.

This post has been edited by Romulus: 17 June 2011 - 08:10 AM

User is offline   WedgeBob 

After all this talk about other gaming engines, I'm surprised that nobody brought up Unity yet. I've played around with Unity 3.3 for the better part of the last couple of months, and to me, it's fantastic so far.
Sure, I will admit that there is a bit of a learning curve, especially when it comes to coding in C# for running all the scripts, movements, etc...but I have a hunch that a gaming technology like this would be cool.
Now had Triptych rewritten DNF from scratch, for sure this would have been a good engine to work on, and the editor would be plumb awesome to work in!

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

We tried Unity where I work at. Believe me it's not something you'd like to make the new Duke game on.

• Polymancer

Unity is a nice little engine from what I've heard, but we have the whole 3DR thing of foreign engine bans, no idea of how GBX/2K will treat that kind of thing.

User is offline   Alithinos 

At least for Sandbox there are huge well written community tutorials over at Crytek's site.

If I recreate a DNF map using another engine.. for instance CryEngine 3 will I get into trouble?

User is offline   Kathy 

Yes, of course.

View PostRomulus, on 19 June 2011 - 09:09 AM, said:

If I recreate a DNF map using another engine.. for instance CryEngine 3 will I get into trouble?

Use your own textures, make them from scratch and make the levels slightly different. They can copyright material, but they can't copyright basic geometric design. Don't let Take Two try to intimidate you if you make you're own level from scratch, they're nothing they can do as long as you're not selling the level tell those bastards to screw off. Just don't use any of their stuff except for visual reference while you map your map.

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 19 June 2011 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostDerickVonD, on 19 June 2011 - 05:17 PM, said:

Don't let Take Two try to intimidate you if you make you're own level from scratch, they're nothing they can do as long as you're not selling the level tell those bastards to screw off.

Take-Two doesn't own IP to intimidate anyone. And when 3dRealms had it they were sending cease&desist letters to anyone doing this kind of work.

View PostHelel, on 19 June 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Take-Two doesn't own IP to intimidate anyone. And when 3dRealms had it they were sending cease&desist letters to anyone doing this kind of work.

But what can they do if it's all your own material? I know that Half-Life Duke mod was shut down, but the guy used all the textures from Duke 3D. It's not like they can patient a room layout, you know what I mean?

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 19 June 2011 - 10:15 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostStewox, on 16 June 2011 - 01:59 AM, said:

Oh just in time ... but it's ... away a few months

Spoiler

it's worth the wait! Posted Image
Spoiler

User is offline   Kathy 

It's not like they can patient a room layout, you know what I mean?

Probably not. And at least it shouldn't be called Duke Nukem.

This post has been edited by Helel: 19 June 2011 - 11:32 PM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options