Duke4.net Forums: How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF?

User is offline   DerickVonD 

I know it wouldn't be easy, but there probably is no other way. This will definitely be the last gearbox and 2K game I ever buy. Frankly I hope they go bankrupt.

I really don't know, but I suspect it would easier to add support for DNF to some already established mutti-game/multi-engine editor.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 10 June 2011 - 02:44 PM, said:

I really don't know, but I suspect it would easier to add support for DNF to some already established mutti-game/multi-engine editor.

Do you mean port the game to lets say the UT3 engine? This is probably what is going to have to happen. The only faith I have left now is in the mod community. DNF isn't even out in the US yet and already modders have found a work around to the no console issue.

No I don't mean that, I mean adding DNF mapping support to say Quark or something. But isn't it a bit early for that kind of talk? With Borderlands people found a way to launch the editor even though there was no seperate editor executable, maybe that is possible with DNF as well given the existence of editor.dll? Anyway how would go about porting the game to UT3 without access to the source code of either game? "DNF isn't even out in the US yet and already modders have found a work around to the no console issue." They have? What has been reported in other threads doesn't seem to work with the final game.

View PostKristian Joensen, on 10 June 2011 - 02:54 PM, said:

No I don't mean that, I mean adding DNF mapping support to say Quark or something. But isn't it a bit early for that kind of talk? With Borderlands people found a way to launch the editor even though there was no seperate editor executable, maybe that is possible with DNF as well given the existence of editor.dll? Anyway how would go about porting the game to UT3 without access to the source code of either game? "DNF isn't even out in the US yet and already modders have found a work around to the no console issue." They have? What has been reported in other threads doesn't seem to work with the final game.

I was referring to this thread http://forums.duke4....tail-fuck-yeah/
I know the ingame console doesn't work, but from what people are sayng in the thread you can still use commands in the "devlog".

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 10 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

Yeah me too, specifically posts like this one. Now I haven't tested this thing myself hence the "doesn't seem" part. I sure hope it does actually work or some other workaround is found.

User is offline   Spirrwell 

• tile 1018

Well, there were some editor dll and int files or something in the Duke Nukem Forever Demo, so it's possible that there might be a way to access some sort of editor without creating one. It's possible they may also release an editor in the future as well.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

View PostSpirrwell, on 10 June 2011 - 03:03 PM, said:

It's possible they may also release an editor in the future as well.

HAH! Yeah, and pigs fly-....oh wait.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 10 June 2011 - 03:25 PM, said:

HAH! Yeah, and pigs fly-....oh wait.

Only way I see that happening is if they loose a lot of money on PC sales or DCL sales and offer the editor if you pay for it. In which case the editor will be pirated shortly after. Did anyone ever figure out if the console works on the leaked version jsut curious. It could be a slightly order build. Maybe we can track down Jace Hall and steal the editor from him.

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 10 June 2011 - 03:46 PM

Very unlikely.

View PostDerickVonD, on 10 June 2011 - 02:39 PM, said:

I know it wouldn't be easy, but there probably is no other way. This will definitely be the last gearbox and 2K game I ever buy. Frankly I hope they go bankrupt.

Do you really want the Company who owns the Duke Nukem IP to go bankrupt, and jeopardize any further development?

Bit harsh to hope that considering they were they saved the game from never seeing the light of day.

Editor or no editor aside.

This post has been edited by EARTH DEFENCE FORCES: 12 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 12 June 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

Do you really want the Company who owns the Duke Nukem IP to go bankrupt, and jeopardize any further development?

Bit harsh to hope that considering they were they saved the game from never seeing the light of day.

Without an editor the games will have no life span so whats the point of having the game? I'm not the type of person that likes to buy a game I only play for a month or two. Plus I don't think Gearbox is on per with what 3DRealms can and could do as far as making a good Duke game. I don't really wish they would go backrupt, but I do wish they would stop being corporate whores. Actually you know what I would much rather have 2K go backrupt than gearbox.

This post has been edited by DerickVonD: 12 June 2011 - 01:00 PM

View PostDerickVonD, on 12 June 2011 - 12:55 PM, said:

Without an editor the games will have no life span so whats the point of having the game? I'm not the type of person that likes to buy a game I only play for a month or two. Plus I don't think Gearbox is on per with what 3DRealms can and could do as far as making a good Duke game. I don't really wish they would go backrupt, but I do wish they would stop being corporate whores. Actually you know what I would much rather have 2K go backrupt than gearbox.

Better. Posted Image

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 12 June 2011 - 01:08 PM, said:

Better. Posted Image

Yeah after thinking about it Randy might by as frustrated as us, he just might have 2K suits breathing down his neck. I wish 3D Realms went with Bethesda as their publisher.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

I honestly wish that 3DR would have chosen THQ over 2K before 3DR went under, that would have made a far better publisher, imo. I don't think THQ is quite as pushy-shovey, and they probably would have been glad to allow the editor to be used.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

They legally can't sell the editing tools. I don't get why people keep bringing this up everywhere I look. Buying it is the equivalent of licensing the editors sort of like with Photoshop and 3D Studio Max. Everything you make can be re-sold without interference from the program's original developers. Gearbox doesn't want that and neither does any video game studio. They want to make the editors freely available to the public with a clause in the EULA stating anything you make still belongs to them. So theoretically if you make a really awesome mod Gearbox reserves the right to claim it and resell for whatever price they want. Look at Valve for plenty of examples. Before anybody argues I recommend you open up the EULA and read it.

But none of that matters when DLC remains popular. About 2k, it's very likely they have a ten year contract to publish future Duke Nukem games. You'll either have to wait for the IP agreement to expire or for 2k to sell their stake to whoever offers the most cash.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 12 June 2011 - 02:06 PM

User is offline   Stewox 

It would be a good idea .... to keep the community up

User is offline   Madmaxwell 

View PostEARTH DEFENCE FORCES, on 12 June 2011 - 12:43 PM, said:

after what they did to brothers in arms and just generally not fixing and or screwing up DNF I rather have the duke ip in the public domain instead of in the hands of companies that will probably start cranking out Duke cart racing or Duke party games just look what the new apogee did to duke on the DS they made it rated T >____> and it was garbage another company that 3D realms "trusted" with their IP just saying

User is offline   Alithinos 

Has anybody tried opening the game's dat files with the standard Unreal Engine development kit ?

View PostAlithinos, on 14 June 2011 - 02:55 AM, said:

Has anybody tried opening the game's dat files with the standard Unreal Engine development kit ?

You mean, the latest UDK?

View PostMr.Deviance, on 14 June 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

You mean, the latest UDK?

yup :dukecry:

User is offline   Stewox 

View PostAlithinos, on 14 June 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:

yup :dukecry:

Id take cryengine sandbox editor any day , it's easier to learn , easier to map , faster ... Unreal Editor editor never appealed to me , it's a weird 2D look from top side system i have no idea what im doing.

Cryeditor is free-roam and it so freaking makes sense , plus flowgraph is a bit more well designed, but i do not know which is more powerfull.

Cryengine Development Kit will be released soon.

http://www.polycount...ead.php?t=71451

Do not take all opinions seriously, because some of those idiots are comparing Crysis Sandbox 2 Editor with UDK ... instead of UE3 , omg.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/CryEngine_3

And this is flowgraph

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Stewox: 14 June 2011 - 07:06 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

Sand box editors are for people that are either too dumb or too lazy. Everything might be easier but in return you are too restricted on how much you can really do. Plus Unreal Ed isn't that hard at all. You just gotta hace some will to read the docs and do tutorials. Like every powerful tool out there.

User is offline   Psyrgery 

Unreal ed is not that hard. Epic released tutorial videos that showed how to map, and its not that difficult at all.

Hell, i could even manage to pull some lame (but very amusing and interesting) levels.

Dnf's core engine is unreal engine, perhaps it wouldnt be that difficult to get the unreal tournament editors to work with DNF's content in a way or another

Davox, tienes que enseƱarme algunos trucos :dukecry:

I know the Sandbox editor from Crytek is easier,I have done levels with it. :dukecry:
But I thought that since the game is already made on Unreal tech,perhaps an Unreal tool could open files Sandbox couldn't.
:D

Nope that won't be possible due to all the modifications that 3DR did to the engine over the years. You mentioned the .dat format and AFAIK that is something that 3DR did on their own, but there is already a tool out there to open those files.

User is offline   WedgeBob 

I was roaming around the Epic Forums just within the last few days, and it seems like there is someone there that was able to make it that you could upconvert UT2004 maps to UT3 maps, as shown in this thread here:

http://forums.epicga...Conversion+Tool

Now mind you that this thread goes back about four years, but if we can track this guy down, then maybe we can get him to write a very similar app to upconvert the DNF game to UDK/UE3.
Although I'm not too sure how easy that would be, but it's worth the shot. I was able to stumble onto this just recently again, and a few posts here just made this conversion utility dawn on me.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

If all else fails you can always use 3D Ripper DX and convert the maps to whatever format you want with 3d studio max and some finagling. You can only get "chunks" of maps and you'd have to reassemble them. But it rips everything out, including textures and UV mapping.

This post has been edited by Mad Max RW: 14 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

User is offline   Hank 

View PostDavoX, on 14 June 2011 - 07:27 AM, said:

Sand box editors are for people that are either too dumb or too lazy. Everything might be easier but in return you are too restricted on how much you can really do. Plus Unreal Ed isn't that hard at all. You just gotta hace some will to read the docs and do tutorials. Like every powerful tool out there.

Have you actually used crytech 'sandbox'? Just wondering. Posted Image

clicked too soon,
to first post - hope for now is -0. If you like Unreal SDK, I think it's more rewarding to make a mini game from scratch, there are models and stuff available, so not from scratch scratch! Or focus on Eduke32. Or switch to another game with a cool engine.

This post has been edited by Hank: 14 June 2011 - 06:11 PM

I had a dream this morning, that mod tools came out for DNF and people fixed the game but It took 7 months from now to come out.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options