Duke4.net Forums: How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF? - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How likely is it, that the mod comunnity can make their own editor for DNF?

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

View PostMicky C, on 25 February 2012 - 03:46 PM, said:

That face looks horrible. He also needs to be more muscular. Oh I give up, we're never going to get a Duke model that's just right. It's probably not even possible.

I think it's due to the comicesque (to coin a term) nature of Duke Nukem more than anything.
Duke can never be perfectly modeled.
However, he can be drawn quite well.

User is offline   Ronin 

I liked the way the Duke 3D sprite had a permanant snarl, sort of like the box art and Zero Hours box art. I think if people use those pics as religion you can't go to far wrong, thats Duke to me. I don't tlike the big overmuscled Brock Lesner/nazi looking efforts.

User is offline   MetHy 

As much as I like DNF, I'm almost glad there is no editor available. Like this not only we won't witness the creation of hundreds of crappy Duke3D map remakes and everybody around here can concentrate on Duke3D.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I don't know. I always thought there was a good chunk of the mapping community around here that was looking forward to messing with it for legit reasons besides Duke3D remakes.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Yeah, TDWCM proved that you can make a half-way decent Duke game using the assets from Forever. With a bit of tweaking and some proper plotting, you could make something cool if you had the level editor and the ability to create your own textures.

User is offline   coheed82 

well, shit.
i thought they'd release an editor by now? i mean gearbox software/2k.. 3drealms even if they half made and editor or not at all, gearbox must've had a Editor of sorts to tidy the game up when they got it right?
DNF is a great game, i say that in comparison to DN3D which is the #1 game of all time :) but if all else fails i think i'll get started on making my own duke nukem (ish) level in the CryENGINE3 mod sdk... i could re-create Hollywood Holocaust i rekon!

just started using the cryengine 3.. a big step up from cryengine 2..
maybe one day they make adnf editor maybe not. But prehaps gearbox will do the right thing and make an availble editor of this so called *duke* game that they were going to do in full after DNF...?

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

It's funny how ARMA 2, a game that's been out a couple years longer than DNF, is back at the top of the sales charts because of a single mod. Maybe publishers will rethink their strategy of ignoring custom maps/mod support in future games.

Also, your idea for a Cryengine 2 Hollywood Holocaust was attempted last year and coming along well... until it appears to have joined the long list of similarly abandoned projects.

What would stop someone from using a bunch of John St. John lines and just making a real DNF in another engine?* It seems obvious that the fans have way better ideas than 3DR/Gearbox and it seems off that said fans wouldn't attempt making their DNF. Not saying that it should be easy to do, mod projects are never easy, but it's weird that it hasn't really been attempted.

*Because I don't think there's much in the way of assets that you could use from DNF aside from the Duke model and maybe one or two enemies.

This post has been edited by Bruno Mattei: 18 May 2012 - 05:57 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

It's not weird that it hasn't been attempted, because it actually has been attempted countless times, and 3D Realms shot all of them down. And considering Gearbox is even less user-created-content friendly with its lack of mod tools, I doubt they'd show any more warmth on proper fan made Duke games than their predecessor.

View PostMad Max RW, on 18 May 2012 - 09:00 AM, said:

It's funny how ARMA 2, a game that's been out a couple years longer than DNF, is back at the top of the sales charts because of a single mod. Maybe publishers will rethink their strategy of ignoring custom maps/mod support in future games.

So true. Half-Life was the best $20 I ever spent. So many amazing free mods for that game.

View PostMicky C, on 18 May 2012 - 06:06 PM, said:

It's not weird that it hasn't been attempted, because it actually has been attempted countless times, and 3D Realms shot all of them down. And considering Gearbox is even less user-created-content friendly with its lack of mod tools, I doubt they'd show any more warmth on proper fan made Duke games than their predecessor.

My apologies, I guess I never saw these projects.

• Polymancer

It may be that Gearbox won't shut down 'alien' projects like 3DR did, but I don't know who wants to test it out. No offense to the EDuke devs, but I want to make something in a modern engine that looks amazing.

It's a shame that the Cry Engine project ground to a halt.

What would be wonderful would be if the community could standardize on one mod, kinda of like what Reloaded was going to be, but without the commercial angle. Just a mod of Duke on a modern engine. Once we had something that functioned reasonably well (not a small amount of work mind you) then we could use it as a base to build modern mods with.

Even if it was only using Doom 3. It's recently been made open source, has solid net code and I believe it's completely cross-platform. On top of that, people have been monkeying with the render engine and are coming up with some nice stuff.

Or you could say screw it, and go to Cry Engine or UDK.

User is offline   Mad Max RW 

Gearbox would definitely shut it down if the 2K Games legal team didn't get to them first. That reminds me how Sega recently put a stop to a Colonial Marines mod for Half Life 1 and a fan-made AvP FPS using ripped assets from Rebellion's AvP3. I totally expect this really cool looking Darkplaces mod to get a C&D order next, if he hasn't already.

View PostMad Max RW, on 21 May 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

Gearbox would definitely shut it down if the 2K Games legal team didn't get to them first. That reminds me how Sega recently put a stop to a Colonial Marines mod for Half Life 1 and a fan-made AvP FPS using ripped assets from Rebellion's AvP3. I totally expect this really cool looking Darkplaces mod to get a C&D order next, if he hasn't already.

Source? I'm a HUGE AVP fan and AVP 3 was like a punch to the balls.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostMad Max RW, on 21 May 2012 - 06:10 AM, said:

I totally expect this really cool looking Darkplaces mod to get a C&D order next, if he hasn't already.

No, I haven't. Not yet. :) I don't think Fox will pay any attention to a single level with very concept-y gameplay.

I really need to get around to finishing that thing up.

• Polymancer

I'm going to put forward what is probably a really stupid idea. I'm not a UDK guru or a level designer, but how difficult would it be to 'port' DNF to the latest UDK? The idea being that it may be possible to import, or somehow update the older UT files into the new Unreal Engine.

Again, I don't know how possible this is, but it may just be less of a complete chore than recreating everything from scratch in CryEngine or D3. Even if you could convert certain shaders effects or animation files to the new engine, it would save a lot of time.

It would all depend on how many changes had been made to DNF from the original engine and what tools there are and how well they work with the data files. I doubt you'd be able to use the maps, but we'd want it for a modding platform anyway.

On a separate note, has anyone tried loading DNF map files into any of the older UT editors?

This post has been edited by Tea Monster: 09 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

in every UT-Editor version i could find - no chance

• Polymancer

Does anyone know why Rich Whitehouse suddenly dropped his project?

User is offline   ---- 

View PostTea Monster, on 20 May 2012 - 01:41 PM, said:

It may be that Gearbox won't shut down 'alien' projects like 3DR did ...

If that was the case I think a lot of devs from the DNR team would happily continue to work on it, or it might have gone more public by now or picked up by others.

EDIT:
Also the advice given by ChrisF. to the Duke Nukem 98 community project is a hint: "Don't talk about it too much in public so that it flies under the radar of GBX/2K legal department." (paraphrased)

This post has been edited by fuegerstef: 11 June 2012 - 02:58 AM

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options