Duke4.net Forums: True Room over Room - Duke4.net Forums

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

True Room over Room  "A truly 'über' feature for classic and Polymer"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Hmm yes if only there was a place where all the key commands were listed... http://wiki.eduke32....OR_related_keys Posted Image

Do you mean create a solid island in the middle of a TROR sector? That's called sector punching. In 2D mode, draw a sector in the TROR sector, select all the vertices of this sector with right shift, then go ctrl-e as though you're extending a normal sector, it'll then prompt you which way you want to punch it, up or down. Then you need to point at the sector in the top layer and go ctrl-u to break the connection, leaving you with a solid, editable floating island sector that you can do a lot of neat things with.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

No that's not what I mean. I mean creating a TROR layer in between two already connect TROR layers (between a sector's ceiling the joined sector's floor, is that possible?).

Just checking it here and CTRL+U appears to allow me to do what I want anyway. Nice. Thanks for the link. But speaking of....

Is that entry linked to or even alluded to in the first post? No, it isn't. I know people should go to the wiki for information by default, but it's not even linked to in this thread and wasn't mentioned anywhere that TROR even had information on the wiki yet. What's wrong with just adding that information to the first post?

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 27 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 27 March 2012 - 08:33 AM, said:

No that's not what I mean. I mean creating a TROR layer in between two already connect TROR layers (between a sector's ceiling the joined sector's floor, is that possible?).

That's called sandwiching and can be done with Ctrl-E, too.

What's wrong with just adding that information to the first post?

Good idea!

• The Sarien Encounter

Well, it doesn't really work. When I try to expand above it says "Sector 0's ceiling is already extended." Do I have an outdated version perhaps? I downloaded the latest one fairly recently, unless you've been doing updates fairly often. I'll try a new build.

• EDuke32 Developer

Oh, indeed. Try doing it from the other side, i.e. sandwiching the upper floor. I'll have to look whether I added that on purpose or if it's a bug.

• The Sarien Encounter

I tried extending from above instead and that worked. So it won't let you do it from below for some reason.

• EDuke32 Developer

I took a look at my code and it's truly the case that only extending the floor from above is possible. I guess I wanted to pervent duplicate code, and besides it's more logical that way when working in the side-view mode: the plane that is highlighted is the one affected.

User is offline   thatguy 

So to my understanding TROR can only be used with Child Sectors? I'm trying to create TROR for outdoor sectors so I can use different textures for first floor of the building, tiling middle part of the building, and another texture for the edge of the roof. Otherwise, I can create a child sector and stretch it to the points of the original room, but that causes glitching as expected.

User is offline   Mark 

If you mean different textures for the outside of the building you can do it without TROR. Apply texture 2 to the building face. Then create a very thin sector over the front of the building. Raise that sector up as far as you need to. Then lower it down from the top as far as you want for the roof. Apply texture 1. It will show on the top and bottom. I think you then point at the bottom half and hit the "2" key. That allows you to apply a different texture to the top while leaving the bottom the same. My example pic shows what I mean.

If I misunderstood what you wanted, then never mind. :)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: example.jpg

This post has been edited by Marked: 31 May 2012 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   Diaz 

Is it possible to remove an island created by loop punching? I've tried to join/delete the sectors in many ways but this just eludes me... :)

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDiaz, on 31 May 2012 - 02:52 PM, said:

Is it possible to remove an island created by loop punching? I've tried to join/delete the sectors in many ways but this just eludes me... :)

Yes, joining is the way to go. Just take note of this:

Can't join two sectors with different ceiling bunchnums. To make them equal, join their upper neighbor's floors.

Because loop punching creates a new bunch, you have to make the bunches equal (by carrying out the same operation as when joining sectors) in the upper portion first.

• EDuke32 Developer

The recent EDuke32 revision improves on the TROR no-SE7 water code a bit to address some issues posted recently.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

that was fast

appreciation filed in triplicate

• Honored Donor

So is the TROR water teleportation without the SE7 almost complete?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Oh yeah I forgot to post, about this. Helix:

It seems like you can make water TROR sectors just by marking a lower stack as underwater and the above one as water, but this results in a bug either way:

You can't stay above the water and you automatically fall below UNLESS you mark the floor of the water sector blocking. BUT when you do that, it means you cannot walk on the water sector (like you can if you make a transparent glass floor or a metal grate floor) so it breaks the functionality of the blocking floor.

You should be able to mark a sector water and have a TROR sector under it without having to be them both be traversible, if not for complex reason, then just for having shallow pools of water with the splash effect and the knee-deep effect.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostHelixhorned, on 15 April 2013 - 04:44 AM, said:

The recent EDuke32 revision improves on the TROR no-SE7 water code a bit to address some issues posted recently.

Thanks Helix, it does fix the issue I pointed out. TROR water now works as expected.

This post has been edited by Norvak: 16 April 2013 - 05:04 PM

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

Is it possible to add the red sector retroactively to a TROR stack?

----------------------
|                      |
|               ------
|               |      |
|               |      |
|               |      |
|               ------
|                      |
----------------------

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Iirc you have to create it for the upper as well as lower sector in the same size, then delete the stack somehow. There just was a post about this not too long ago, should be possible.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostDaedolon, on 16 April 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

It seems like you can make water TROR sectors just by marking a lower stack as underwater and the above one as water, but this results in a bug either way:

You can't stay above the water and you automatically fall below UNLESS you mark the floor of the water sector blocking. BUT when you do that, it means you cannot walk on the water sector (like you can if you make a transparent glass floor or a metal grate floor) so it breaks the functionality of the blocking floor.

No, it's all fine. Requiring the boundary ceilings and floors to be blocking and hitscan sensitive makes sense, because it's consistent with usual water (where you have non-TROR ceilings and floors which are naturally so). If you want to walk instead of wade in the upper section, then you simply don't make it ST1; transportation will only occur for the area of the bunch where the floor's sector has ST1 and the ceiling's one has ST2. So, besides the submergible water (ST1/ST2) and "water with ice on top" (ST0/ST2) this leaves the ST1/ST0 combination, which allows you to have a wadeable upper water sector, but without the possibility to submerge, for example because the underwater section is purely decorative.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostAlan, on 17 April 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

Is it possible to add the red sector retroactively to a TROR stack?

What are you trying to achieve? Maybe a map would help getting the question along, because your schematic is a bit unconventional.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

I have a bridge and below that I wanted to add some extra details. In particular I'm putting the support beam for the bridge on a rock, which juts out from beneath the bridge.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostMicky C, on 15 April 2013 - 05:09 AM, said:

So is the TROR water teleportation without the SE7 almost complete?

There are definitely some differences left. For example, when throwing a pipebomb into such water, it may not change the sector number. You'll notice that it'll float to the top instead of sinking in the water then. Also, firing rockets into the water sometimes makes them explode upon impact with SE7 water, but never with no-SE7 TROR water (I don't intend to replicate this, as it's more of a glitch / side-effect). I haven't tested submersion with anything other than players or weapons/projectiles either, though enemies seem to behave like with SE7 water.
Bottom line is, try it out, and if it's good enough for your purposes, use it. Otherwise, shout and I'll see what could be done.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Can't it just "spawn" the SEs when the map is loaded, making it sure to work the same?

• Honored Donor

View PostFox, on 21 April 2013 - 06:08 AM, said:

Can't it just "spawn" the SEs when the map is loaded, making it sure to work the same?

The whole point of TROR water without SEs is that you don't have to have matching sectors on the top and bottom of the water, saving work and walls as well.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

You don't need matching sectors to use SEs, check out E4L9.

• Honored Donor

I've done some research into polymost TROR, trying out different things, and I thought my results might be useful for other mappers wanting to use TROR, and (just maybe) help the developers to fix the problem.

Cases:
  • TROR seems fine as long as you're standing inside the TROR sector (for indoor TROR with a small window). When you step outside the sector, sectors connected to the TROR sector in all other layers aren't rendered. This means that TROR seems to always work as long as there are no sectors connected from the side of the other layers.
  • TROR seems to work from above, as long as there are no wall in the lower TROR sector, i.e the entire bottom layer must consist of one sector (otherwise there is some kind of flickering masked wall effect) sprites are fine though and can substitute sectors in many cases.
  • Large outdoor TROR areas always seem to work from below, even when you step outside the TROR sector (sectors connected to the sides of other layers always seem to work too).
  • TROR floors with paralax floors (used for creating flying vehicles which fire rockets) look fine from above, but display the floor's texture in a paralax when viewed from below. Paralax ceilings look fine everywhere.

So I hope mappers (and developers) find that useful, especially the first 3 points.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options