• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

True Room over Room  "A truly 'über' feature for classic and Polymer"

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostHigh Treason, on 18 January 2012 - 08:54 AM, said:

Is it actually possible to build this in TROR?

Yes it is. Not sure how you did it without TROR unless it's one of those weird sector inversion polymer tricks.

It is a sector inversion trick. Much as this doesn't upset me too much due to the fact everything I make relies on Polymer anyway, the drawing glitches can be very annoying, I wouldn't mind knowing how to achieve such a thing in TROR, I'm wondering if anyone can walk me through it or point me to a post that will.

I really don't understand TROR very well at all yet (and it doesn't always work for me anyway) as the implementation is nothing like Blood or Shadow Warrior, all I seem to be able to do is make a square hole that leads up or down with no way of expanding from there making the system practically useless (because of my own incompetence I am sure).

Also, is there a reason that you can't extend sloped sectors or is this going to be implemented later?

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostHigh Treason, on 19 January 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Also, is there a reason that you can't extend sloped sectors or is this going to be implemented later?

You can, it just has to be exactly one sector.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I would like to be able to make a whole sector bunch sloped and have a key for "first bunch wall".

This post has been edited by Fox: 19 January 2012 - 05:53 AM

User is offline   Mia Max 

So here is my first TROR village.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice... How long til release?

View PostZaxtor, on 20 January 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Nice... How long til release?

Thanks!

Hmm, progress is going pretty well, so I hope I can release it in a month.
I'm high motivated because of TROR and it's possibilities.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I'm looking forward to this. Will it be a DukePlus map? (Had to turn off DukePlus in Parkade due to low framerate)

Hallo Helixhorned!
Is it possible to make a special function that selects only sectors with skybox.
So it would be more easy to make TROR in outdoor areas with many sectors.
There is already a function, that gives sectors with skybox the same height.
After that it would be possible to make TROR in all these sectors, right?

@LeoD: Yes it will be a DukePlus map.
But I could make a second version of this map without DukePlus.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Possibly I could write a little mapster script that does that for you when I get home from work today. I can't promise anything though.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostMia Max, on 25 January 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

@LeoD: Yes it will be a DukePlus map.
But I could make a second version of this map without DukePlus.

Not for me. Somehow I'd get it to work or get a new PC anyway.

View PostDeeperThought, on 25 January 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

Possibly I could write a little mapster script that does that for you when I get home from work today. I can't promise anything though.

That would be great :D
I don't really need it for my new map, but I want to make a refresh of my map Desertbase.
This map really could need some rooftops as it appears very flat in some areas.

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostFox, on 19 January 2012 - 05:53 AM, said:

I would like to be able to make a whole sector bunch sloped and have a key for "first bunch wall".

In general, the ceilings/floors of two or more sectors can't be made coplanar. You could assure that when building the map, but in principle, wall vertices are always allowed to move in BUILD (dragpoint never fails), and having to catch "invalid" drags then would be a bit too much of a trouble.

View PostMia Max, on 25 January 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Hallo Helixhorned!Is it possible to make a special function that selects only sectors with skybox.So it would be more easy to make TROR in outdoor areas with many sectors.There is already a function, that gives sectors with skybox the same height.After that it would be possible to make TROR in all these sectors, right?@LeoD: Yes it will be a DukePlus map.But I could make a second version of this map without DukePlus.

Something like
for i allsectors, ifand sector[i].ceilingstat 1, sethighlightsector i 1

would form the basis, but there's no limit to how sophisticated you really want it to be... Or if you meant the RAlt style of selection, you could filter out the non-parallaxed ones afterwards:
for i selsectors, ifand sector[i].ceilingstat 1 nullop, else sethighlightsector i 0

Untested, as usual.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

@Mia Max

In case you have not used mapster script before, here are the more detailed instructions on what to do. I would use Helixhorned's second method. So first, use RAlt and select the entire area you want to be changed (this could be the whole map, of course). Next, press ` to open up the mapster console, and type this:

do gamevar i 0 0
do for i selsectors, ifand sector[i].ceilingstat 1 nullop, else sethighlightsector i 0

That should cause it to deselect the non-skybox sectors.

Oh cool, thank you :D
I will try it.

User is offline   sedition 

I have a problem with this.

I tried to work with TROR for the first time and tried to go through the tutorial in the first post.
I made the extensions but now I don´t unterstand how to create a new sector here.

Attached Image: capt0009.jpg

I want to make something like a pipeline so I need to make a sector under the sloped ones above. To
make the lower part of that pipeline. But how do I drag this sector? I can´t du anything.

I´m using the latest snapshot and working in classic mode.

This post has been edited by sedition: 03 February 2012 - 04:38 PM

• Honored Donor

This sector? it helps to circle what you're talking about.

To edit a particular layer, press ctrl-a to grey out all layers other than the one the player/camera is currently in. You can change the height of the player by pressing page up or page down to move it up or down respectively. Or you can do what I do and go into side view mode like in that screenshot, hold the middle mouse button and move the mouse forward and back, which gives you more control over the height. Once you're in the layer you want to edit, the extension you made should be surrounded by white walls, and you can treat this like the first sector in a map, and add to it by drawing sectors around parts of it.

View PostMicky C, on 03 February 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

This sector? it helps to circle what you're talking about.

To edit a particular layer, press ctrl-a to grey out all layers other than the one the player/camera is currently in. You can change the height of the player by pressing page up or page down to move it up or down respectively. Or you can do what I do and go into side view mode like in that screenshot, hold the middle mouse button and move the mouse forward and back, which gives you more control over the height. Once you're in the layer you want to edit, the extension you made should be surrounded by white walls, and you can treat this like the first sector in a map, and add to it by drawing sectors around parts of it.

Here is a screenshot in 3D-mode. What I want to have is the same sloped sectors in the lower extension (so that it looks like a pipeline) but I don´t know how to do this, because it is just a solid sector with no chance to modify it.

Attached Image: capt0010.jpg

In the tutorial there is something about adding a sector to the lower part of the extension, but I don´t know how to do this. I just don´t understand what I´m supposed to do (sorry, English is not my native language)

This post has been edited by sedition: 04 February 2012 - 03:02 AM

• Honored Donor

I see. In this case make it so that you're only editing the bottom layer (the top layer should be greyed out) by following my previous post, then draw a sector between the two extensions, which will connect them. You can then split the sector a few times so that some of it can be sloped to make the bottom of the pipe.

You're english is quite good, what's your first language out of interest?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 04 February 2012 - 03:57 AM

View PostMicky C, on 04 February 2012 - 03:56 AM, said:

I see. In this case make it so that you're only editing the bottom layer (the top layer should be greyed out) by following my previous post, then draw a sector between the two extensions, which will connect them. You can then split the sector a few times so that some of it can be sloped to make the bottom of the pipe.

You're english is quite good, what's your first language out of interest?

I´m sorry Micky, I don´t understand it. Is there a step-by-step tutorial for noobs like me somewhere? I know how to edit the bottom and top layer, but I can´t do anything in the bottom layer because there´s just a solid sector (like a white-lined one), where I want to make the bottom part of the pipe.
Anyways, thank you for helping me.

BTW: My native language is German.

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

You can add points to the lower sector. Pressing INSERT you can add vertices and then draw red lines into the level.

Oh, I see...you need to make the white space a usable sector.

View Postsedition, on 04 February 2012 - 12:30 PM, said:

I´m sorry Micky, I don´t understand it. Is there a step-by-step tutorial for noobs like me somewhere? I know how to edit the bottom and top layer, but I can´t do anything in the bottom layer because there´s just a solid sector (like a white-lined one), where I want to make the bottom part of the pipe.
Anyways, thank you for helping me.

BTW: My native language is German.

Bei TROR werden die neuen Sektoren, die du entweder auf der oberen Ebene oder der unteren Ebene machst nicht auf die jeweils andere Ebene übernommen.
Das heißt, in deinem Fall musst du für das Rohr die selben Sektoren, die du auf der oberen Ebene gemacht hast noch einmal auf der unteren Ebene machen.
Das ist etwas unübersichtlich, da sich die Sektoren überschneiden.
Befindest du dich aber in der unteren Ebene, also wenn du im 3D-Modus da hingehst, kannst du nur die untere Ebene bearbeiten.
Befindet sich allerdings ein Scheitelpunkt auf der oberen Ebene genau dort, wo du auf der unteren Ebene noch einen Scheitelpunkt machen willst, geht das ist.
Dazu musst du den Scheitelpunkt auf der oberen Ebene etwas verschieben, danach kannst du in wieder zurückschieben.
Das gleiche gilt auch für die roten Linien.
Wenn sich die obere Linie mit der unteren überschneidet, funktioniert die Leertaste nicht.
Daher musst du zuerst wieder die obere Linie verschieben, damit die untere frei liegt.

EDIT:
Ah, jetzt verstehe ich dein Problem.
Links und rechts neben dem Rohr hast du eine untere Ebene.
Diese zwei Ebenen musst du verbinden, praktisch einen Tunnel unter das Rohr bauen.
Das machst du genau so, als würdest du einfach zwei Sektoren mit jeweils weißen Wänden verbinden.
Wie das geht, weißt du, oder?

This post has been edited by Mia Max: 04 February 2012 - 03:14 PM

• Honored Donor

Ich habe Deutsch fur drei Jahre gelernt, aber ich habe es vergessen :D

I hope Mia Max gave you some useful advice, if not, I'd be willing to add the bottom of the tunnel for you if you attach the map, which might help you understand how it works.

View PostMicky C, on 04 February 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

Ich habe Deutsch fur drei Jahre gelernt, aber ich habe es vergessen :D

I hope Mia Max gave you some useful advice, if not, I'd be willing to add the bottom of the tunnel for you if you attach the map, which might help you understand how it works.

I hope he understood me.
For me it is difficult to explain things in any language :D

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Loving TROR!

I'm working on a map here and the polymer lights aren't reacting how I expect them to. I've created a structure with "window" frames on the ceiling and walls. However, I didn't use the glass texture. I used a orangeish texture to give the appearance of dirty glass and made it transparent. I realize that polymer lights work consistently and properly with textures with the transparency colour (255,0,255), but I was wondering if it were possible, per my example, to allow polymer spotlights to shine through a texture (ceiling, floor, or wall) if it has a transparency setting. Perhaps even the intensity of which is proportionate to the level of transparency setting. Is this possible? And Below is an image of my example map where the light is shining down through the semi-transparent ceiling and through the semi-transparent wall as well but the shadow that is cast is completely solid when light "should" be shining through to the inside of the structure and also through to the outside area around the structure as well.

Posted Image

I guess this isn't a request exclusive to TROR, but oh well.

EDIT: I just discovered the inverse problem with polymer point lights. The point light will shine through a ceiling or floor whether it is transparent or not.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

View PostTrooper Dan, on 26 January 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

@Mia Max

In case you have not used mapster script before, here are the more detailed instructions on what to do. I would use Helixhorned's second method. So first, use RAlt and select the entire area you want to be changed (this could be the whole map, of course). Next, press ` to open up the mapster console, and type this:

do gamevar i 0 0
do for i selsectors, ifand sector[i].ceilingstat 1 nullop, else sethighlightsector i 0

That should cause it to deselect the non-skybox sectors.

That doesn't work.
Always tells me expected keyword but found 'ceilingstat'

• EDuke32 Developer

Works for me. Have you double-checked that you transcribed it correctly? Unfortunately there's no way to paste stuff into the console.

View PostHelixhorned, on 24 March 2012 - 05:22 AM, said:

Works for me. Have you double-checked that you transcribed it correctly? Unfortunately there's no way to paste stuff into the console.

The problem is that I have no american keyboard, so some keys are different.
That has always been a problem for me.
But good to hear that it works for you.
I'll try it again.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostMia Max, on 24 March 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

The problem is that I have no american keyboard, so some keys are different.
That has always been a problem for me.
But good to hear that it works for you.
I'll try it again.

I have had a similar issue, if you use Windows 7, you can tell the OS to switch to the basic US keyboard.
Or you can try a registry hack
http://www.howtogeek...ndows-xp-vista/
There is also a method to remapping keys in the mapster32.cfg, this I have not tried.

Good luck. Posted Image

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Can we have a list of all the TROR-related controls for 2D and 3D mode? It would be handy to have them all in one place instead of having to dig through the whole thread for them. Maybe add them to the first post as well.

I'm trying to add a TROR sector in between two already joined TROR sectors. This ability was requested earlier in the thread as a possible CTRL+ALT+E control and Helixhorned mentioned it wouldn't be a problem to implement, however it doesn't work. Was it ever implemented or is it a different control? I don't want to have to delete the upper sector and do it all over again.

Share this topic:

• 16 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options