Duke4.net Forums: "Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances - Duke4.net Forums

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

"Paper cuts" -- minor bugs and annoyances  "Post problems here that could be fixed with a few minutes of effort"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Actually my idea/request is similar to Forge's. It's related to the handling of the addon groupfiles, however.

Since recently, automatic recognition of the Megaton groupfiles has been added, I wondered if it could be made so that the same is possible from within the EDuke32 installation directory. For example, I don't intend to have Megaton installed forever. After uninstalling it, the nice addon selection option in the EDuke32 launcher is gone, even if I still have the addon groupfiles. However, if EDuke32 were able to find the addon groupfiles placed into a local "addons" folder as well, you could have the same convenience as with the Steam installation.

Another idea is to add recognition of "nwinter", "vacation" and "dukedc" subdirs where you can place the groupfiles individually. In that case, you could even put the HRPs there (unless you find a way to prevent loading several HRPs stored within the same dir, because then you could place everything together, e.g. nwinter.grp, nwinter_hrp.zip, vacation.grp, vacation_hrp.zip etc). The solution with the separate folders ofc is already possible if you use the "custom game content" dropdown menu, but choosing the addons from within the selection window might be more elegant (and possibly easier for less experienced HRP users, at least a bit).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 11 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostForge, on 11 April 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

don't know if this is do-able, but i won't until i ask and get berated for being a dumbass

example:
i can drop a map and its midi file (with the same name as the map file) in a directory external to the duke root directory, start the game, select user map, scroll to the directory the map is located, the game will launch the map and the accompanying midi is recognized and played

i was wondering if the same can be done for art files?

That's a hell of an idea! The interesting part is how to do conflict handling.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

It's obvious when you think about it. The files could have a naming scheme like mymap014.art. Naturally you can't make a user map work properly if you are already using some custom art.

I suppose the same could apply to .CON files, meaning that you can play an episode by selecting the first map. Though CON is more complicated for the engine, maybe it would need to re-open Eduke32 similar to Mapster32 map testing, unless the CON contains only the volume or map definitions?

By the way, shouldn't the User Map option be labeled Custom Level instead? "User map" sounds like a unpolished technical term (taken from E1L8.map).

This post has been edited by Fox: 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

Great idea, even go as far as suggesting, mymapXXX.PNG with XXX as the tile number

User is offline   Fox 

it would be better to have a custom def file then.

===//===//===

It seems that now that the problem with horizontally flipped sprites offset is fixed, the same thing happens with vertically fliped sprites in OpenGL modes:

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Fox: 12 April 2013 - 12:57 AM

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostJames, on 10 April 2013 - 01:05 AM, said:

So what should be done in this case? Would changing the commands work then? I think it would be best if they did just automatically account for TROR sectors - it wouldn't affect the original levels at all would it?

r3666 said:

In upward moving enemy code of VM_Move(), consider TROR boundaries.

This fixes liztroops not passing TROR layers when on the jetpack, as well as
other enemies capable of moving upward, and also COMMANDER and DRONE (for which
the code is special-cased).

The downward non-falling motion of COMMANDER and DRONE is also taken into account. Since falling of normal actors is already handled correctly with respect to TROR, this probably only leaves the downward non-falling motion of user actors.

The code posted by Fox,
    ifp phigher
    {
      ifceilingdistl 128 nullop
      else
        ifactornotstayput
          ai AITROOPJETPACK
      break
    }

concerns only the liztroop's standing --> flying change.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNightFright, on 11 April 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Since recently, automatic recognition of the Megaton groupfiles has been added, I wondered if it could be made so that the same is possible from within the EDuke32 installation directory. For example, I don't intend to have Megaton installed forever. After uninstalling it, the nice addon selection option in the EDuke32 launcher is gone, even if I still have the addon groupfiles. However, if EDuke32 were able to find the addon groupfiles placed into a local "addons" folder as well, you could have the same convenience as with the Steam installation.

If you move the add-on groups from Megaton into your EDuke32 directory, it should detect them just the same. I just tested and it works.

View PostNightFright, on 11 April 2013 - 12:37 PM, said:

Another idea is to add recognition of "nwinter", "vacation" and "dukedc" subdirs where you can place the groupfiles individually. In that case, you could even put the HRPs there (unless you find a way to prevent loading several HRPs stored within the same dir, because then you could place everything together, e.g. nwinter.grp, nwinter_hrp.zip, vacation.grp, vacation_hrp.zip etc). The solution with the separate folders ofc is already possible if you use the "custom game content" dropdown menu, but choosing the addons from within the selection window might be more elegant (and possibly easier for less experienced HRP users, at least a bit).

That's hardcoding too much stuff. I have a way planned where the HRP zips can contain their own self-loading instructions.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

Is it possible to revert the automatic TROR transport effect off?, so it only works with real SE7's, I'm trying to make a frozen water hole but I failed even if the lower part is blocked, so the player instantly gets teleported to the surface . Anyway there isn't any advantage how it is right now since projectiles don't pass through the water unless you put SE7 making the whole thing pointless.

Attached Image: capt0003.png

• Weaponized Autism

Can you set a blocking bit on TROR?

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostHendricks266, on 12 April 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

If you move the add-on groups from Megaton into your EDuke32 directory, it should detect them just the same. I just tested and it works.

That's hardcoding too much stuff. I have a way planned where the HRP zips can contain their own self-loading instructions.

Ah, I should have tried that. That works as well, of course. :) It would be awesome if you were able to put all HRPs into autoload actually, and then it only uses the HRP which is needed for the groupfiles used (the one for duke3d.grp always, of course, and any other only if the corresponding grp is loaded). But I dunno if that can be pulled off, and if your self-load idea works out, then it should be just as good.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

• Music Producer

View PostHendricks266, on 12 April 2013 - 01:11 PM, said:

Can you set a blocking bit on TROR?

Yes, for breakable masked TROR walls or water for example, if you don't block it, the water effect doesn't work.

User is offline   Stabs 

View PostFox, on 11 April 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

it would be better to have a custom def file then.

technically yes, but then Dukeplus would need an upgrade for a couple of PNGs and a map, its not really something i want to be bothering people with would be cool if i could just drop a couple of custom PNG's with the map and it works. I wouldn't mind just using it for posters / wall art sprites give the map more variance and uniqueness instead of the same old move posters, paintings, be a nice easy way to keep the maps up to date on the pop culture side of things without messing around in art files, i assume the program to make an art file is way more complicated than just a PNG is too.

View PostHelixhorned, on 12 April 2013 - 04:13 AM, said:

The downward non-falling motion of COMMANDER and DRONE is also taken into account. Since falling of normal actors is already handled correctly with respect to TROR, this probably only leaves the downward non-falling motion of user actors.The code posted by Fox,
    ifp phigher    {      ifceilingdistl 128 nullop      else        ifactornotstayput          ai AITROOPJETPACK      break    }
concerns only the liztroop's standing --> flying change.

yes they work, had fun running some troops/commanders/and drones up and down 4 tror levels, makes the combat so much better now, the ways the enemies can invade and come at you now is endless.

View PostNorvak, on 12 April 2013 - 01:59 PM, said:

Yes, for breakable masked TROR walls or water for example, if you don't block it, the water effect doesn't work.

I didn't think you could make a breakable TROR glass floor, i just tried then is there anything extra i should be doing besides making it a visble texture and setting the block and hitscan bit?

User is offline   Fox 

Is it possible to include a command like dynamicremap which allows an actor to behave like another? With that you could create new switches, for example.

User is offline   Sangman 

Normally when you fire a gun in-game the entire screen lights up for a brief time but I just played Hollywood Holocaust for a bit and what happens here is that only one or a few horizontal lines on the screen light up. It's sortof distracting. Unfortunately I can't capture this effect in an image or video at all... so it's kindof hard to describe :/ I don't know if this is any help (from the log):

OpenGL Information:
Version: 4.3.0
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer: GeForce GTX 660 Ti/PCIe/SSE2

Also, an easier issue, I have an Azerty keyboard lay-out but quitting Eduke32 resets it to Qwerty.

This post has been edited by Sangman: 13 April 2013 - 03:04 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

This might seem really obvious but just to clarify, are you using an openGL renderer with vsync disabled?

@Norvak, if the player is submerging in that pool because you're using TROR and gave the ice a lotag of 1 and the below water section a lotag of 2, if you don't want the player to teleport to the bottom sector, have you tried untagging the bottom sector?

This post has been edited by Trooper Mick: 13 April 2013 - 03:17 AM

• Music Producer

@ TM: Look

Attached Image: capt0004.png

That's the way it is set, and that's how it should work, the player should stay underwater since the ceiling is blocked by an ice layer, but due the automatic TROR water the effect is messed up.

What I'm trying to say is that TROR water shouldn't work unless you put a pair of SE7 there.

@ DanM: Mhhh I don't remember, maybe I'm just exagerating, there's a way to make TROR ceilings and floor explode, but glass... :)

Hey Micky: Is possible to make breakable glass with TROR already?

This post has been edited by Norvak: 13 April 2013 - 09:25 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Yes, at least for the hard-coded breakable glass.

Doesn't TROR water works the same as long you have made it blocking and hitable?

• Music Producer

Not the same, TROR water works whether or not you put an SE7. Also only works if you make both sides with blocking bit, hittable or not hittable projectiles don't pass through. Also as pointed by someone on other thread actors don't work as expected with TROR water, whether an SE7 is set or not.

So I can't simulate ice with TROR right now, I don't want to use a sprite workaround with regular water because as everyone knows sprites above and underwater brings weird side effects.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 12 April 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Is it possible to include a command like dynamicremap which allows an actor to behave like another? With that you could create new switches, for example.

For something like this I would suggest using EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES to change the actual actor's appearance.

View PostTrooper Mick, on 13 April 2013 - 03:14 AM, said:

This might seem really obvious but just to clarify, are you using an openGL renderer with vsync disabled?

Yes and it's not activated in the Nvidia control panel either.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 April 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

For something like this I would suggest using EVENT_ANIMATESPRITES to change the actual actor's appearance.

I already do that, but an ugly hack.

I am not sure of how complex that would be. It would require to return a different picnum when using an if confition check, however it would still return its own picnum.

• Weaponized Autism

^What advantage would there be to such a command? You are already piggybacking hardcoded functionality; I don't see how making it less hacky on the outside would make any difference.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostNorvak, on 13 April 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

Hey Micky: Is possible to make breakable glass with TROR already?

Don't listen to Fox Posted Image breakable glass on TROR floors/ceilings doesn't work.

View PostSangman, on 13 April 2013 - 03:20 PM, said:

Yes and it's not activated in the Nvidia control panel either.

So wouldn't the horizontal lines brightening up be due to the screen tearing? Another person had this issue not to long ago. Technically switching on vsync should fix the problem. If you really want to have vsync off then there's probably not much that can be done about it.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 April 2013 - 04:29 PM, said:

^What advantage would there be to such a command? You are already piggybacking hardcoded functionality; I don't see how making it less hacky on the outside would make any difference.

Right now Eduke32 doesn't allow you to automatically make new doors, switches, lights, televisions, pick-ups and etc, which all are textures with hard-coded features.

It would make it easier if I could make a textures borrom the functionality of another. Otherwise it requires reverse engineering a constantly updating source code, hoping you actually can make it work the same way. And of course there are cases which you simply cannot reproduce a certain bevahior because the access to certain events or structures is not avaiable, such as for example projectiles radius explosion changing walls.

===//===//===

Is is possible to to use a tile in the GRP instead of an image file? I often need to move or copy a certain tile, or simply use a tile for a highres texture or model. Right now I am forced to include a folder with 3,500 png images for the Duke 64 mod in order to make tint apply to all textures.

Also can a resize option be added to tilefromtexture (using nearest filter obviously)? For example, I want to stretch a tile to double of its size without the need of having an resized copy of the image file.

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 April 2013 - 06:50 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 13 April 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Is is possible to to use a tile in the GRP instead of an image file? I often need to move or copy a certain tile, or simply use a tile for a highres texture or model. Right now I am forced to include a folder with 3,500 png images for the Duke 64 mod in order to make tint apply to all textures.

Would it be easier to add a tint flag that will apply to 8-bit part in place of lookup tables?

View PostFox, on 13 April 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Also can a resize option be added to tilefromtexture (using nearest filter obviously)? For example, I want to stretch a tile to double of its size without the need of having an resized copy of the image file.

That would require modifying deep engine arrays and possibly delving into the gritty renderer code. Is this anything that cannot be done from CON?

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 April 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

Would it be easier to add a tint flag that will apply to 8-bit part in place of lookup tables?

Yes it would. And I would really glad if you could do that for tints (and palmaps).

But I would also like to be able to use a tile from inside the grp without the need of extracting it.

View PostHendricks266, on 13 April 2013 - 07:50 PM, said:

That would require modifying deep engine arrays and possibly delving into the gritty renderer code. Is this anything that cannot be done from CON?

I think you misunderstood me, I don't want to have a 32px tile to display a 64px image in 8-bit mode, I know that is beyond the scope.

I am asking for tilefromtexture command to load a tile the same way as if it was resized with an external program.

For example:
Spoiler

The main reason I am asking it now is for texture align, so CON is not very helpfull. Right now all I can do is resize the texture with an external program, but I don't like to do that.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostFox, on 13 April 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Right now all I can do is resize the texture with an external program, but I don't like to do that.

Is there any reason more than "I don't like to" that you want this? I can't see why it would not suffice to perform the change yourself using an external program (thereby customizing your result to your tastes) and leave an "_original" file alongside your resized one.

I added the tint and highpalookup flag to my long list. Did you also want something to do with tints overriding highpalookups (posted earlier)?

The tile behavior copying still seems to me like a workaround to deeper problems. What is an example of a constantly changing source code in terms of a specific tile with changing functionality? For unreproducible functionality, the example of radius explosions changing walls is an interesting one. What do you mean in detail?

Besides the tinting, what other reasons are there to copy an art tile from the GRP, and approximately how many tiles in your projects are affected by them?

View PostTrooper Mick, on 13 April 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

So wouldn't the horizontal lines brightening up be due to the screen tearing? Another person had this issue not to long ago. Technically switching on vsync should fix the problem. If you really want to have vsync off then there's probably not much that can be done about it.

D'oh, yeah I'm dumb. Turning it on fixed it indeed.

My keyboard lay-out being reset to QWERTY is still an annoying issue though.

User is offline   Fox 

View PostHendricks266, on 13 April 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

Is there any reason more than "I don't like to" that you want this? I can't see why it would not suffice to perform the change yourself using an external program (thereby customizing your result to your tastes) and leave an "_original" file alongside your resized one.

Unfortunately the tile size itself matters in Eduke, and I think it's ugly to have picture files to workaround something related to the engine.

Did you also want something to do with tints overriding highpalookups (posted earlier)?

Not exactly, I was just having some problems with HRP compatiblity. I make it so I include duke3d_hrp.def before my mod data, however I am unable to undef palmaps or setuptile. What I need is for tints defined later to override palmaps, and undeftexture to remove the effect of setuptile.

The tile behavior copying still seems to me like a workaround to deeper problems. What is an example of a constantly changing source code in terms of a specific tile with changing functionality? For unreproducible functionality, the example of radius explosions changing walls is an interesting one. What do you mean in detail?

I was speaking of breakable walls (lights, televisions, etc). They are also affected by explosives, but you can't reproduce that in your own.

Besides the tinting, what other reasons are there to copy an art tile from the GRP, and approximately how many tiles in your projects are affected by them?

Not many to tell the truth. It's just an option I would like to have.

• Weaponized Autism

Ah, the undef stuff is on my list already.

View PostFox, on 14 April 2013 - 08:19 AM, said:

I was speaking of breakable walls (lights, televisions, etc). They are also affected by explosives, but you can't reproduce that in your own.

What would it take to open up that functionality to CON?

Share this topic:

• 24 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options