• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prey 2 to be out in 2012

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

View PostKathy, on 07 August 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

It's the backbone yeah, but unless it's completely bug free, there is always a job to be done.

I doubt they'd need him for bug crushing....as long as they have the core technology(i.e. the engine code written by JC), they can leave the more menial tasks to less important staffers.

Unless he doesn't need to sleep or cloned himself.

Wouldn't put it past him considering his track record. The guy is a genius of geniuses who just seems to keep topping himself. If he goes any further, he just might invent a machine that programs itself...therefore making himself obsolete.

User is offline   Malgon 

I was a little surprised to hear about this, although I shouldn't be considering his keynote speech from last years Quakecon was heavily about VR, and the fact they even had one for people to try out too. If the Occulus Rift is the sort of jump that software rendering to hardware rendering was, like a lot of people are saying, then it could be very big in the coming years. Having John Carmack involved is indeed a smart move for these guys, as it is good exposure with the weight that his name carries in the industry. Since he is very passionate about technology and VR, you know he is going to put a lot of effort into the product to make sure it is worthy. Pretty big news imo.

It is interesting that he's supposed to split his time between the 2 companies, even though it's a full time job with OR. A lot of people are guessing that he's not really at id anymore, only in name, and that Bethesda is just playing damage control so people won't worry about the future of id and games like Doom 4. If he is going to be at id, even in only a limited capacity, then it still doesn't seem all that feasible imo. End of an era for id? It does seem that way, although I'm sure many people are of the mind that id has been dead a long time anyway, even if guys like Kevin Cloud and Tim Willits are still there. If Carmack is really gone, then id will be alive in name only. Interesting times ahead.

User is offline   Mr. Tibbs 

Seeing as id's creative director left id back in February and it's only being made public now I think this has been the plan for a while now. Matt Hooper's joining Carmack at Oculus. http://www.linkedin.com/in/hoopermatt

User is offline   pjVgt 

Well I will have to write something about John Carmack that I maybe shouldn't. Something that some people who still don't get the picture won't really understand what is currently happening at id.

I was preparing a interview with Carmack because I was basically the only guy in Poland who read Masters of Doom. The interview didn't went well and I think it was put on Youtube (holy shit is sucks). I remember talking to the guy - and simply put I am still terrified by him. Talking to him was like talking to a mainframe computer covered in human skin - or like entering into uncanny valley of creepy japanese robot dolls singing on youtube. We even joked after that John made his kid by simply saying to his wife "in 15 minutes I and You will be naked and I will put my penis into You vagina and initiate ejaculation after series of 20 pelvic trhrusts in order to conceive a human fetus of unknown but 50/50 determined sex".

I knew what we were going into - but for some guys it was a total shock that John gives very little about id legacy. Actually his company means very little to nothing for him. From what we spoke after the interview he is always ready to leave and pursue other goals - he always was just in case of any obstacle come by. He could piss on al that stuff that made id great and start making sextoys if it would give him money and creative output. John shows very little interest in simple human affairs, nostalgic or else - for a very long time it seemed to me that video games and his job at id started constraining him.

Because truly - this guy is a genius. Have You seen the Doom 3 sourcecode? He never had to really make games - he had Tom Hall to make the story, Romero to lead the team and Adrian to draw some sick twisted shit. If possible Carmack would only make game engines or physics and lightning models - without this video game stuff for simpletons. But now things are different - he could no longer suck on id money-teat after he sold the company to Zenimax. Money for rockets ended so he closed down Armadillo (which had its share of success with Pixel and Quad lander but it was a partial failure with Stig lifters) and Bethesda became more and more pissed off with Doom 4 and lukewarm Rage profit. Carmack probably recieved a offer he couldnt refuse from Zenimax to step down and sell his ownership to them. He knows that with time id will be merged or disbanded - there is no other way. Todd left the ship knowing this.

Id days are coming to an end very very soon. Carmack will sooner or later leave id (sooner) leaving the company to Tim Willits who will become the puppet Zenimax really wants. There will be no Doom 4 - Tim will be fired from the position, valueable pople will be send to other teams which will work on id IPs - this time fully in possesion of Zenimax.

You know what hurt? What really just snapped my dick in half this year? When Tim Willits came to us and for 15 minutes rambled about steam sales of both id and bethesda games - 10% of time about id and 90% about bethesda. We clearly know who is pulling the strings here.

This post has been edited by pjVgt: 08 August 2013 - 04:22 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

View PostpjVgt, on 08 August 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

John made his kid by simply saying to his wife "in 15 minutes I and You will be naked and I will put my penis into You vagina and initiate ejaculation after series of 20 pelvic trhrusts in order to conceive a human fetus of unknown but 50/50 determined sex".

I'll remember this phrase for the future. Although the probability of conception won't be higher than 1%.

User is offline   Hank 

View PostpjVgt, on 08 August 2013 - 04:21 AM, said:

Carmack probably recieved a offer he couldnt refuse from Zenimax to step down and sell his ownership to them. He knows that with time id will be merged or disbanded - there is no other way. Todd left the ship knowing this.

J. Carmack simply moved on, he entered a new era of Virtual programming, and by the looks of it, Bethesda is trying to keep him within id Software.
http://www.forbes.co...at-id-software/
He is a wanted talent, for sure. Posted Image, who knows, we may get virtual games now Posted Image

User is offline   lazarus 

Here's Pete' Hines' quote about Arkane working on Prey 2:

"All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they're doing their thing, and that's for them to work on. We'll be ready to talk about what they're working on when it gets closer to release."

After re-reading this I realized he never explicitly said Arkane isn't working on Prey 2. Let me paraphrase what he was saying:

"I have no idea who leaked the truth. The Prey 2 Human Head created is their version of Prey 2. Arkane is now working on their own version of the game. When Arkane has something to show, then we'll share it with the public."

Here is a full quote from RPS: "No,” he told RPS when asked if Prey 2 has moved from Human Head to Arkane’s human hands. “All of that stuff, I have no idea where it came from. The Human Head Prey 2 thing is the Human Head Prey 2 thing. Arkane is over here, and they’re doing their thing, and that’s for them to work on. We’ll be ready to talk about what they’re working on when it gets closer to release.”" Your interpretation would work fine if it wasn't for that "no" part. However they only paraphrase their own question to him.

The initial reports came from inside Arkane Austin. Lazarus is right. Arkane Austin, lead by Raphael Colantonio, are being forced to slap the Prey name on their next game. The important point here is that when the studio head was asked if they had taken over Prey 2 a few days after the Pete Hines interview, he had a different answer. http://www.aliennoir...an-asks-arkane/ Pete Hines also said this: http://www.edge-onli...companies-work/

However, Hines is keen to stress that despite scooping up talented studios such as id, Arkane and Machine Games, working relationships and studio culture come before empire building.

"It's really on a case by case basis and sort of what feels right and how do they fit into the kind of games we make, and our culture," he explains. "Personality is a big thing, you know?"

"In each case it didn't start off with: 'Who do we wanna buy next?' It's just, who are the kinda guys that we want to work with? How do we work with them? And then if that relationship just goes to the point where we're making a game with them, like we're doing with Human Head and Prey 2 or Splash Damage and Brink, then great. If there are interests beyond that in terms of multiple deals or becoming an internal studio, then we'll have that conversation."

When he said this, Splash Damage and Bethesda both had lawyers present at there meetings. They were trying to forcibly acquire the studio in a fire sale. A few months later, Human Head suffered the same fate. It's a technique that's been detailed in this thread before

This post has been edited by Mr. Tibbs: 10 August 2013 - 01:49 PM

User is offline   Engel220 

Arkane Studios are making making Prey 2, a rebooted version according to this article, and Bethesda seem to like playing hide the truth.

http://kotaku.com/le...-pre-1149092622

This post has been edited by Engel220: 15 August 2013 - 11:46 AM

User is offline   Kathy 

"Press sneak fucks". :P

For once they're doing their job right to be called like that.

lazarus was right on the money! It's exactly what Bethesda did.

Some new Prey 2 tidbits.

It hasn't been cancelled for legal reasons. Until Bethesda is ready to announce Arkane's new version, they won't update any details confessing Human Head's no longer working on it.

Originally Tommy was the bounty hunter in Prey 2. Then Bethesda said to get rid of him because they believed Tommy wasn't a protagonist the majority of players would relate to since he was Native American. When people complained about the lack of Tommy, Bethesda allowed Human Head to put him back into the game.

More things from Prey 1 besides Tommy made appearances in Prey 2 which were never shown to the public. That was so you could have some warm fuzzy surprises as you played the game.

It's set in the same universe as the first Prey, much in the same way Empire Strikes Back was set in the same universe as the first Star Wars, yet both stories took place in vastly different locations. Just because you didn't see Lightsabers in a Star Wars trailer doesn't mean they weren't going to be in the movie.

It's too bad no one will ever play this version of the game to find out what really happened between Prey 1 and Prey 2.

And Killian had a translator, so the aliens you hear aren't actually speaking English. Killian would have made his own choices what it should translate to... allowing you as the player to actually understand what's going on. Everything you hear could have been subject to Killian's interpretation or mood at the time; even the name of the planet he's stranded on.

Prey 2 gameplay

Arkane's game will be using Crytek instead of id-tech or Unreal. https://twitter.com/...473842804318209

Bethesda/Zenimax is holding up the release of multiple beta builds from Paul Schuytema's tenure on Prey (1998). http://www.betaarchi...23886&start=100

For those curious on the state of the builds I mentioned a while before and the possibility of releasing the source-code; I am still actively trying to get in contact with people at Bethesda or more specifically Zenimax. It's been a lengthy barrage of emails back and forth but hopefully we'll get somewhere with it eventually...

Share this topic:

• 15 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options