Duke4.net Forums: Prey 2 to be out in 2012 - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

  • 15 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Prey 2 to be out in 2012

#1

http://bethblog.com/index.php/2011/03/14/p...more-this-week/

It is utilizing a Heavily modified id Tech 4 Engine.

This post has been edited by Bam050196: 21 March 2011 - 11:58 AM

0

User is offline   Scott_AW 

#2

Sure it will, we all know it will be 2020 or something like that. ;) j/k
0

User is offline   LkMax 

#3

Yeah that's cool ;)
They plan to release the game on 2012. That's actually good because 2011 is already "extra-full" of great titles. (Duke Nukem Forever, Deus Ex HR, Battlefield 3, Portal 2, Crysis 2, etc...).
0

User is offline   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #4

Don't forget about F.E.A.R. 3, Rage, Batman: Arkham City and so on. It's going to be a good year. ;)
0

User is offline   Jhect 

#5

Batman? lol
0

User is offline   LkMax 

#6

View PostTX, on Mar 14 2011, 09:35 PM, said:

Don't forget about F.E.A.R. 3, Rage, Batman: Arkham City and so on. It's going to be a good year. ;)


OH, RAGE, how could I forget this game! ;)
Theres so many good titles this year that I almost forgot some.

View PostJhect, on Mar 14 2011, 10:00 PM, said:

Batman? lol


I still have not played Arkhan Asylum but a few friends who did told this game is great.
It looks good for who like fight/adventure games.
0

User is offline   The Commander 

  • I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

#7

I never tried Batman either, I saw it rather cheap on Steam awhile back but avoided it because I figured it would be a bit like the Ghost Busters game, play once then never play it again type game.
0

User is offline   Rellik 

#8

Batman:AA is a very enjoyable game IMO. it has really good stealth/puzzle/fighting mechanics.

There's a demo of batman:AA you can download... give it a shot.
0

User is offline   Green 

  #9

http://us.kotaku.com/#!5782169/prey-2-...n-bounty-hunter
0

User is offline   Sebastian 

#10

Uhh yeah, Batman: Arkham Asylum was one of the absolute best games of 2009.
0

User is offline   LkMax 

#11

View PostMr. Green, on Mar 15 2011, 06:08 PM, said:



=\
I'm worried now.
It gonna be too different of the first title, in many ways (gameplay, storyline, etc...).
Well... let's see how it goes.
0

User is offline   Green 

  #12

Prey 2 Debut Trailer
http://www.g4tv.com/videos/51782/prey-2-de...ere/?quality=hd

Prey 2 won't be using id Tech 5.
http://au.xbox360.ig.../1155349p1.html

Quote

Correction: We previously reported Prey 2 would be using id Tech 5. Bethesda Softworks Director of Marking and PR Pete Hines says the game will not be using that engine. "This game has been in development for quite a while and id Tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option," Hines said. The story above has been corrected.

Radar Groups version of Prey 2 sounded better than this.
http://www.radargrou...ressrelease.pdf

Quote

Prey 2

The follow up to “Action Game of the Year” (PC Gamer), reprise your role as Tommy, the native warrior who saved Earth from alien invasion in Prey. This time, abandoned and framed for the disappearance of his family and girlfriend, Tommy escapes an Earth that no longer wants him for a future that cannot survive without him. Building on the mind-bending portal and gravity-defying gameplay of the original with several innovative new twists, Prey 2 promises to once again take players into a compelling science-fiction world with breathtaking visuals and adrenaline-pumping action gameplay. Prey 2 is currently being developed in cooperation with Human Head studios and slated for Xbox 360 and PC platforms.


This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 15 March 2011 - 04:09 PM

0

#13

Oh comeon... they're turning Prey into a ripoff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Not that the original plot makes much sense either. The end of Prey didn't imply anything to me that Tommy was in ANY trouble with the law. He'd rebuilt the bar and everything felt fine. And there didn't seem to be any urgency with him leaving Earth.

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 15 March 2011 - 09:53 PM

0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#14

Maybe he was in the middle of a law suit, and we all know those can take yyeeaarrss sometimes, so he probably thought "screw it, I'll go with these guys."

I'm glad that there's at least some kind of tie-in to the original story, even something as weak as this. As long as the basic gameplay elements like portals, gravity manipulation, some kind of spirit walk and death walk equivallent, and not to mention some breathtaking visuals, it should be an ok game. Oh and the general mood and tone.
0

#15

View PostTX, on Mar 14 2011, 05:35 PM, said:

Don't forget about F.E.A.R. 3, Rage, Batman: Arkham City and so on. It's going to be a good year. ;)

That will fucking rule!

View PostJhect, on Mar 14 2011, 06:00 PM, said:

Batman? lol

Yes of course.

View PostLkMax, on Mar 14 2011, 09:35 PM, said:

I still have not played Arkhan Asylum but a few friends who did told this game is great.
It looks good for who like fight/adventure games.

You should dude.

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 15 2011, 10:52 PM, said:

Oh comeon... they're turning Prey into a ripoff of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.?

Yeah so? The first was nothing more than a bright corridor crawl anyway.

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 15 2011, 11:37 PM, said:

I never tried Batman either, I saw it rather cheap on Steam awhile back but avoided it because I figured it would be a bit like the Ghost Busters game, play once then never play it again type game.

You REALLY should. It's NOTHING like Ghost Busters and has a lot of re-play value.
0

#16

View Postblackharted, on Mar 16 2011, 11:56 AM, said:

Yeah so? The first was nothing more than a bright corridor crawl anyway.


Open-space games don't usually make for a great immersive story-driven experience though. Prey 2 felt like living a movie more than any game I'd ever played before. The experience and the impact of it lingered in my mind for years. That they've just completely abandoned the 'sequel' is a huge disappointment, especially when its not something that was just talked about... it was practically shoved down our throats. And even if they do try and give it the same feel of the original... how are they going to get any humanity into the story? Mercenaries are just that. They just do what they get paid for. Could it make a fun and engaging shooter? Sure. But there's now way that is going to come off feeling like Prey 1. No spiritual journey, no emotion, no urgency, etc.

And for those dissing Batman when you haven't played it... DON'T. Best comic book game ever, hands down, and was IMO the game of the year. And when I said Prey 2 was the greatest gaming experience I'd had in years... that didn't get matched until Arkham Asylum. ;)

This post has been edited by wayskobfssae: 16 March 2011 - 12:01 PM

0

#17

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 16 2011, 12:56 PM, said:

Open-space games don't usually make for a great immersive story-driven experience though. Prey 2 felt like living a movie more than any game I'd ever played before. The experience and the impact of it lingered in my mind for years. That they've just completely abandoned the 'sequel' is a huge disappointment, especially when its not something that was just talked about... it was practically shoved down our throats. And even if they do try and give it the same feel of the original... how are they going to get any humanity into the story? Mercenaries are just that. They just do what they get paid for. Could it make a fun and engaging shooter? Sure. But there's now way that is going to come off feeling like Prey 1. No spiritual journey, no emotion, no urgency, etc.

And for those dissing Batman when you haven't played it... DON'T. Best comic book game ever, hands down, and was IMO the game of the year. And when I said Prey 2 was the greatest gaming experience I'd had in years... that didn't get matched until Arkham Asylum. ;)

I agree with your comments about Batman AA, BUT Prey 1 not Prey 2 as you say, because it isn't released yet, was nothing special. There was almost no emontional impact in any hour I played. A "movie" experience? you acually consider a FPS corridor crawl a movie like experience!? *MEGA FACEPALM* Heavy Rain is a cinematic gaming experience, not Prey dude.
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#18

No emotional impact? You saw your grandfather sacrifice himself in a horribly painful death to you in spirit form, and you had to kill your girlfriend. I don't know if you've ever had a girlfriend but I'm telling you it'd be a very traumatic experience in real life, and she and Tommy were really close.

There were also some memorable puzzles and scripted sequences, such as entire rooms forming before your eyes, encountering a huge chamber of "keepers" and thinking 'damn I'll never defeat all of them' before the Mother kills them all as a gift. Also the portal with all the spinning rings around it (which was also in the original 3D Realms version if you've seen the trailer.) And of course the ending, where you
Spoiler
There were many other memorable events and details as well which I enjoyed but it'd take too long to list them.

I and probably quite a few other people on this forum will always remember Prey as a great game. It's nowhere near as good the second time since as you said it's a corridor crawl, but the first time around it's simply amazing.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 19 March 2011 - 05:37 PM

0

User is offline   Green 

  #19

Posted Image
http://img859.imageshack.us/img859/3483/preybackground.th.jpg http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/5972/135ax.th.jpg

http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=424852

Quote

- Main character is Killian Samuels, sheriff and prison guard.
- Been in development for 3 years
- X360 main platform, PC and PS3 versions in development (as announced)
- Pretty nice graphics overall (not jaw-dropping but good), graphics style a mix of Bioshock and Mass Effect
- "Heavily inspired by Mirror's Edge, but also Mass Effect, Riddick and Blade Runner" - Producer
- Use the surroundings, big areas where you can sneak up on enemies using the shadows
- No multiplayer, 3D, Kinect or Move
- As said in the PR, 2012 release date

Screenshot 1: Gameplay capture, showing gun (no HUD), and some kind of human gekko alien.
Screenshot 2: Some Krugan Mass Effect alien in some Halo Reach esque bubble shield.
Screenshot 3: More aliens beating another alien in a back alley
Screenshot 4: Mass Effect esque bars confirmed
Screenshot 5: Weird 8-eyed looking aliens confirmed
Screenshot 6: Hot alien chick confirmed

I'll read through the text and update the OP in 15 minutes or so.

Update:
- Tommy/Intro spoiler:
Spoiler

- Human head: "If the first Prey was the Luke Sywalker version of the story, Prey 2 is Bobba Fett's story".
- The project has been restarted several times
- Open game structure. "Go wherever you want, talk to whoever you want, do the missions you want".
- GR: "Killian as flexible and limber as Faith of ME, leaping over hights, hanging by arms from pipes, balancing on thin boards and jumping like a cat upwards structures"
- GR: "An enhanced Killzone esque cover system, battles looks so flexible, brings your thoughts back to Vanquish"
- Parkour moments when being chased by enemies
- Money can be used to upgrade your armor, weapons, but also abilities, example to make enemies hover in the air
- Human Head: "Every area is comparable to Assassin's Creed 2", whatever that means. Planet is Exodus. Desert levels, big cities, "in the wilds", cave areas
- GR: "It has the moving scheme from Mirror's Edge, the freedom of Mass Effect and the fire fights of Killzone 2" (writer loved Prey 1)
- Different kinds of ammo, weapons can be customized/rebuilt
- Producer: "Who would pick the MP mode of Prey 2 ahead of the one in for example Halo Reach? We'd rather to a really good SP adventure"
- There will be DLC
- There will be vag portals, but fewer of them and "with different looks"
- GR: Loot system "similar to the one of Boarderlands"
- All the aliens look very human like, except for some of their limbs and obviously faces. Very similar to the Mass Effect aliens in both looks and armor/clothes, nothing like the Prey aliens.


This post has been edited by Mr. Green: 19 March 2011 - 06:34 PM

0

User is online   MusicallyInspired 

  • Buy Mage's Initiation!

#20

Ugh.
0

User is offline   LkMax 

#21

Yep, Prey 2 will be very inspired by many games... except by Prey 1 itself. lol
Somehow I liked the Mirror's Edge inspiration, Though.
0

#22

View PostMicky C, on Mar 19 2011, 05:37 PM, said:

No emotional impact? You saw your grandfather sacrifice himself in a horribly painful death to you in spirit form, and you had to kill your girlfriend. I don't know if you've ever had a girlfriend but I'm telling you it'd be a very traumatic experience in real life, and she and Tommy were really close.

There were also some memorable puzzles and scripted sequences, such as entire rooms forming before your eyes, encountering a huge chamber of "keepers" and thinking 'damn I'll never defeat all of them' before the Mother kills them all as a gift. Also the portal with all the spinning rings around it (which was also in the original 3D Realms version if you've seen the trailer.) And of course the ending, where you
Spoiler
There were many other memorable events and details as well which I enjoyed but it'd take too long to list them.

I and probably quite a few other people on this forum will always remember Prey as a great game. It's nowhere near as good the second time since as you said it's a corridor crawl, but the first time around it's simply amazing.

Tommy grandfather didn't sacrifice himself, from what i can remember, he was mudered. As for killing his girlfriend, I'm almost sure she was murdered too, though it was a long time ago.

There were 2 memorable moments in the game for me, and they were the portals, and the opening. The final boss was unwhelming, the ending was a let down, the aliens spoke laughable english 90% of the time.

The guns were also a hugh let down as the looked strange, a little generic, and worst of all, functioned like todays guns not alien tech.
Also they sounded small and weak, not loud and powerful.

This post has been edited by blackharted: 20 March 2011 - 07:23 AM

0

#23

View Postblackharted, on Mar 20 2011, 11:21 AM, said:

Tommy grandfather didn't sacrifice himself, from what i can remember, he was mudered. As for killing his girlfriend, I'm almost sure she was murdered too, though it was a long time ago.


I think what Micky was talking about is when he dematerializes while the aliens are invading the spirit realm. I took that as him teleporting elsewhere to battle on a different front, but *shrug* maybe I'm wrong about that.

Quote

There were 2 memorable moments in the game for me, and they were the portals, and the opening. The final boss was unwhelming, the ending was a let down, the aliens spoke laughable english 90% of the time.


The most emotional sequence for me was probably everything from killing Jen all the way to using the superportal to get back to the sphere and go completely apeshit.

As for the aliens talking english... you realize that was just a mystical sort of translating, right? Tommy can't understand a word they're saying until the first time he returns from the spirit realm.

Quote

The guns were also a hugh let down as the looked strange, a little generic, and worst of all, functioned like todays guns not alien tech.
Also they sounded small and weak, not loud and powerful.


Yeah, maybe the functionality of the guns was simplistic, aside from the leech which I just fell in love with. But the organic nature of most of the weapons was very creepy for me. A few times I just sat there and watched them do their idle twitching, and then figured out what the tentacle on the rifle was actually for. (gotta love the first time Tommy picks up one of those little crab-nade things and gets his finger bit)

Anyway, hitting on something else you said before, about a linear game not being able to give a good film experience, I have to disagree. While it may not have the freedom of more intricate hybrid RPG/FPS games, a linear game more or less guarantees that you're going to experience the story that the director had in mind, and that's not always a bad thing. Too much searching around open space for some key you forgot to pick up or backtracking halfway across a state to sell something can easily detract from what would otherwise be a roller coaster ride of an experience. Good storytelling, in the traditional sense anyhow, is all about timing, and balancing different emotional elements and such. A game like Prey allows you to have much more critical control over that kind of timing. The first time I played through the afore-mentioned sequence, having to kill Jen, retreating to the spirit world for guidance, the invasion, and then unleashing the fury... everything there seemed perfectly timed. I was already feeling what Tommy was without even being told I was supposed to be feeling it, and it all flowed seamlessly. I can understand why some people wouldn't like it though - not being able to make more personal decisions that direct the outcome. But for a classic formula FPS, it really pushed the limits of what that kind of game can do.
0

User is offline   K100 

#24

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/121/1zfk505.th.jpg http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5992/2yxis1i.th.jpg http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2503/10rjpyu.th.jpg http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/7664/atxg0p.th.jpg
0

User is offline   Alithinos 

#25

Since Bethesda took it you can pretty much expect it to be Oblivion with aliens.

The Open World is there.
The npcs that will give you side quests are there.
The merchants from which you will buy armors and weapons are there.
You will loot corpses.
Instead of having spiritual abilities 'cause you're an indian,you will get them buy buying them from special npcs. "Mage's Guild"
It won't have multiplayer.

O.K. I love The Elder Scrolls series,but Bethesda should stop to make every other game they have to play like a TES game.

This post has been edited by Alithinos: 21 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

0

#26

I will give this game a chance, but if Tommy doesn't even make an appearance, I'm not buying it.
0

#27

 

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 05:47 AM, said:

I think what Micky was talking about is when he dematerializes while the aliens are invading the spirit realm. I took that as him teleporting elsewhere to battle on a different front, but *shrug* maybe I'm wrong about that.

Ah ok.

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 05:47 AM, said:

As for the aliens talking english... you realize that was just a mystical sort of translating, right? Tommy can't understand a word they're saying until the first time he returns from the spirit realm.

Yes. That's why I said "90% of the time"

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 05:47 AM, said:

Yeah, maybe the functionality of the guns was simplistic, aside from the leech which I just fell in love with. But the organic nature of most of the weapons was very creepy for me.

;) Seriously?

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 05:47 AM, said:

Anyway, hitting on something else you said before, about a linear game not being able to give a good film experience, I have to disagree.

Ok dude.

View Postwayskobfssae, on Mar 21 2011, 05:47 AM, said:

While it may not have the freedom of more intricate hybrid RPG/FPS games, a linear game more or less guarantees that you're going to experience the story that the director had in mind, and that's not always a bad thing. Too much searching around open space for some key you forgot to pick up or backtracking halfway across a state to sell something can easily detract from what would otherwise be a roller coaster ride of an experience. Good storytelling, in the traditional sense anyhow, is all about timing, and balancing different emotional elements and such.

Yeah, BUT you can still have a heavely story driven game and still have more than a little bit of freedom, Heavy Rain is a perfect example. Now before you say it, yes I am one of those people who think a story is one of the most important features in a game. And yes timing and pacing is very important, but your example isn't really a good one, as surely someone who goes to every lengh to provide a good story wouldn't waste time making you backtrack and fetch stuff. A good designer knows that.

So timing and all that would've been worked out before hand and a team wouldn't need to pad out a game's lengh with boring fetch quests. Well today's desginer's do anyway.

Back on topic, my only complaint of Prey 2 is: Where's Tommy?
0

User is offline   Alithinos 

#28

View Postblackharted, on Mar 21 2011, 10:12 PM, said:

Back on topic, my only complaint of Prey 2 is: Where's Tommy?

Man,seeing how other ips are mistreated,would you imagine if in the next Duke Nukem game after DNF, Gearbox introduced to us a Duke Nukem game with some "John" instead of Duke ? ;) ;)
0

#29

View PostAlithinos, on Mar 21 2011, 02:27 PM, said:

Man,seeing how other ips are mistreated,would you imagine if in the next Duke Nukem game after DNF, Gearbox introduced to us a Duke Nukem game with some "John" instead of Duke ? ;) ;)

I'd be pissed off!
0

User is offline   Alithinos 

#30

https://forums.duke4.net/public/style_images/cgs/snapback.png' alt='View Post' />K100, on Mar 21 2011, 07:30 PM, said:


These images reminded me of one thing:
Mass Effect.
Just look at that bar full of aliens drinking under red lights.
It's Club Afterlife from Mass Effect 2 without the strippers.
And look at that blue skin alien female with the strange head anatomy.
They look similiar to the Asari of Mass Effect who are also females with blue skin and strange heads.

So a game which plays like Fallout 3 and Oblivion,but with the artistic style and feel of Mass Effect.

In other circumstances I would be hyped as hell from such a game.
But the name "Prey 2" makes me....
Somehow! I don't know what word to use to properly picture how I'm feeling right now.
0

Share this topic:


  • 15 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options