Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 84 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

I think the reason the HRP model lacks those textures is because those textures already exist and there has been attempts to optimize file size as much as possible. This would be an example of that optimization.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostScott_AW, on Jan 30 2011, 11:19 AM, said:

... Idealy it would be nice to have the original 3dRealm's production level models, then you'd be good to go.

As I said elsewhere, you could import the MD3 models into a 3D application, light them like the original sprite and then make a voxel out of them. That might give you something closer to what you are after.

View PostScott_AW, on Jan 30 2011, 11:19 AM, said:

One problem though is I don't know why there's no texture for the RPG and Jetpack on the HRP duke model.

Mr. Flibble is right, the RPG and jetpack are separate items within the Duke MD3 model. Those objects share the uv map with the actual jetpack and RPG models, and thus use their textures.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

To be honest, I would not use HRP>Voxel conversions, they look bad. Hand-crafted voxels are where it's at.

Also, I seem to remember that 3DR was planning a 1.7 patch. (Don't know what 1.6 was.) It would have just been some bug fixes + voxels (and possibly some more effects, like ROR.) I think the idea was to release it shortly after Shadow Warrior, so that it'd be comparable to Blood and SW. I think they scrapped it because DNF was going to be released "shortly." I think the Medkit voxel came from either regular SW or the beta.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 30 2011, 01:41 PM, said:

I think the Medkit voxel came from either regular SW or the beta.

Both.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 30 January 2011 - 12:08 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostCaptain Awesome, on Jan 30 2011, 03:41 PM, said:

To be honest, I would not use HRP>Voxel conversions, they look bad. Hand-crafted voxels are where it's at.

I wasn't planing on using any of the assets from the HRP, the whole point of the voxel pack is to keep the voxels looking as closely as possible to the original sprites.

Also, i now have Hendricks266 helping me put the pack together. :(

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Good deal.

I think the enemy voxel models will be very useful. The small objects as health kits are very good with the HRP. The HRP just failed to make the enemy models look good. So will we be able to mix up the packs?

I mean, have most HRP textures and sprites, then have the enemies being in voxel? That might look at bit weird.

This post has been edited by Jhect: 30 January 2011 - 04:32 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostJhect, on Jan 30 2011, 04:32 PM, said:

I think the enemy voxel models will be very useful. The small objects as health kits are very good with the HRP. The HRP just failed to make the enemy models look good. So will we be able to mix up the packs?

I mean, have most HRP textures and sprites, then have the enemies being in voxel? That might look at bit weird.

The future of the HRP lies with Polymer, and Polymer does not support voxels. So you figure it out.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 30 2011, 07:22 PM, said:

Polymer does not support voxels.

...yet? One can hope.

User is offline   SwissCm 

The biggest issue with making enemies and certain sprites voxels is that sprite->voxel conversions work best when the original artwork is pixel art. The monsters in Duke3D are all sourced from 3D Models and as such don't have the distinct lines and forms that pixel art has, making voxel versions of them look quite messy.

User is online   Gambini 

Why people keeps trying to give ideas about how to combine/merge this with the HRP?

If there´s any reason of this voxel idea existence´s is to conserve the classic look and stay away from models and "hires" textures. Making voxels out of HRP models is idiotic. It´s downgrading the same models we already dislike*.

Why don´t people mentally challenged stop giving ideas of how to screw up this awesome mod?

@Reaperman: Stay strong, don´t listen to them! It´s better if you release a pack of 15 good voxels than a pile of shit badly ripped from everywhere, just to fill the basket. I would not lose time with enemies, those already have the 8 angles rotation, which is enough.

*I don´t hate the HRP, but it has nothing to do with this thing.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 31 January 2011 - 08:48 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGambini, on Jan 31 2011, 08:47 AM, said:

Why people keeps trying to give ideas about how to combine/merge this with the HRP?

:(

I don't see anyone doing that. Even Jhect wasn't suggesting a merger, he was just wondering if he could use enemy voxels instead of models because he doesn't like the HRP enemy models, but he likes the models for health kits, etc. One person wanting to mix resources in his own private folder doesn't warrant this kind of response.

Some people got confused because Scott posted the screenshot showing lots of player voxels based on the HRP player model. That post was mainly about the effects of detailed voxels on performance.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 31 January 2011 - 09:49 AM

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Without the original models, converting HRP models to voxels is kind of ugly and messy.

The one provided with slab6 I'm guessing is from the original models used to make the sprites. So if you had those models, voxel conversion would probably come out nicer.

Now if I had the time, I could downgrade/modify the textures, because its the textures that aren't converting well, the models themselves are fine. However a decor/item only voxel conversion is fine in itself.

If I do feel like attempting to make decent voxel conversions in the future, I'll provide them. Its no problem to have separate def files for different conversion.

User is online   Gambini 

^^

I wont waste time reading the whole thread again and quoting every single evidence. but there are at least three people implying either converting hrp models to voxels, including these voxels with the hrp or using that ugly pack of voxels that were ripped from the hrp. In short, you see posts about polymer and the hrp and their relation with this, more than feedback and worthwhile suggestions.

View PostDeeperThought, on Jan 31 2011, 02:22 AM, said:

The future of the HRP lies with Polymer, and Polymer does not support voxels. So you figure it out.

Yea the HRP with polymer is the future. I just hope someone is able to make good looking enemy models. That's the only weak point of the HRP as i see it, the rest is just perfect xD and i don't even use polymer :(

User is offline   t800 

to ReaperMan:
At first I want to congratulate for your great work and encourage you in this great project I have been waiting so long time. Previous voxel projects were ugly and poor. Converting 3d models from HRP to voxels is really bad idea.
But I am a bit confused. Do you want to convert every sprite of object to voxel (chairs, bins, etc) or only pickup items (medkits, weapons, ammo) and switches as it is in Shadow Warrior? I prefer the second option.

I'm going to make, pick ups, switches, and some objects (cups, chairs, bottles, etc.) into voxels. Possibly, after i finished that I'll turn the enemies into voxels.

User is offline   atlas 

View PostReaperMan, on Jan 31 2011, 03:05 PM, said:

I'm going to make, pick ups, switches, and some objects (cups, chairs, bottles, etc.) into voxels. Possibly, after i finished that I'll turn the enemies into voxels.

im really looking forward to this, thank you : )

User is offline   fgsfds 

View PostScott_AW, on Jan 28 2011, 10:58 PM, said:

Works like this

voxel "frame1.kvx" { scale 1 tile 100 }
voxel "frame2.kvx" { scale 1 tile 101 }
voxel "frame3.kvx" { scale 1 tile 102 }
voxel "frame4.kvx" { scale 1 tile 103 }

It doesn't work. Just shows a first frame.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

ATOMICHEALTH is animated in the .ART file, so if you replace the 8-bit art with a voxel, you need a corresponding animation command for the voxel. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any DEF command to do that.

You could make the actor animate using an action command in GAME.CON, however. Find the line that says "actor ATOMICHEALTH" and replace it with:

action ATOMICFRAMES 0 16 1 1 2

actor ATOMICHEALTH ATOMICFRAMES

If the animation is the wrong speed, change the 2 to a higher (slower) or lower (faster) number.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 02 February 2011 - 07:56 AM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 2 2011, 09:52 AM, said:

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any DEF command to do that.

animtilerange

animtilerange 100 115 2 2

User is offline   Scott_AW 

Good to know, although I've actually haven't created any animated voxels yet and didn't know this would happen.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I knew about that command, but for some reason I didn't think about it in relation to voxels. I've only used it a few times for animating high res textures.

Quick update:

I'm almost finished with the armor pickup and i finished the steroids pick up. Also i finished the key-card pickup but the yellow one doesn't have the correct colors so i think i'm going to have to redo that one.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 02 February 2011 - 02:45 PM

Grabb'in pills.

Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

It looks very good, obviously, and it looks more detailed than your other voxels. It's hard to tell that it's a voxel; in fact it could easily be a high-res sprite or a model based on that screenshot. The only downside to this is it might look strange next to the other voxels, like it doesn't belong in the same set.

View PostDeeperThought, on Feb 6 2011, 02:07 AM, said:

It looks very good, obviously, and it looks more detailed than your other voxels. It's hard to tell that it's a voxel; in fact it could easily be a high-res sprite or a model based on that screenshot. The only downside to this is it might look strange next to the other voxels, like it doesn't belong in the same set.

That is the based off the actual sprite, it looks great when side by side with the other voxels don't worry. :(

• Weaponized Autism

It could just be me, but does it have the correct dimensions?

View PostHendricks266, on Feb 6 2011, 02:23 AM, said:

It could just be me, but does it have the correct dimensions?

Yes, it has the correct dimensions.

I had to voxelize these, they just look cool.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options