• You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   Dzierzan 

@Aleks I see, thanks.

BTW I've got a mistery to solve, what the heck is that? Tile 1225:

Posted Image

I tried to voxelize that, but I can't tell which shape is more correct:

Posted Image

I am also not sure if that thing is rotated 45 degrees towards right or it's really facing right.

EDIT:

Alright, mistery solved, it's stripper's destroyed bar. Apparently it was indended to be left if you kill her but it was must have been scrapped.

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 16 March 2022 - 06:01 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think a lot of things you would expect to be sprites are instead maskwalls in the original maps because it would mean less sprites would need to be rendered, and probably helped with frame rate at some point in development.

Not sure about the rotation speed, but I believe it's not adjustable via DEF script so my hands are tied if that's the case.

Posted Image

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostDzierzan, on 16 March 2022 - 05:23 AM, said:

@Aleks I see, thanks.

BTW I've got a mistery to solve, what the heck is that? Tile 1225:

It looks like a mic stand?

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View Postjkas789, on 22 May 2022 - 12:11 AM, said:

It looks like a mic stand?

It looks like a showerhead for me.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostDzierzan, on 21 May 2022 - 03:32 PM, said:

Not sure about the rotation speed, but I believe it's not adjustable via DEF script so my hands are tied if that's the case.

You might be able to override the animation speed in the art file with the DEF animtilerange command.

No, you mean the animation of sprites in art files. In my example, all mine sprites are replaced with exactly the same voxel as it would be counterproductive to make voxel for each sprite. Besides, I did try that out of my curiosity and it did not do anything.

@brullov
@jkas789

I already explained it's stripper's bar but destroyed.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 22 May 2022 - 01:53 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

View PostDanukem, on 22 May 2022 - 01:39 AM, said:

You might be able to override the animation speed in the art file with the DEF animtilerange command.

I actually used it twice in the pack, for the Freezer ammo and HoloDuke. However, it may not work here since it's basically one voxel that always looks the same in every frame, and it's not about animation interpolation, but rotation. You would have to create voxels with modified angles for each frame, then you could probably mess around with it more.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 22 May 2022 - 02:20 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostDzierzan, on 22 May 2022 - 01:52 AM, said:

No, you mean the animation of sprites in art files. In my example, all mine sprites are replaced with exactly the same voxel as it would be counterproductive to make voxel for each sprite. Besides, I did try that out of my curiosity and it did not do anything.

@brullov
@jkas789

I know, it's just fun to share ideas for unidentified pixel object Posted Image

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Postbrullov, on 22 May 2022 - 02:37 AM, said:

I know, it's just fun to share ideas for unidentified pixel object Posted Image
Well, in this case it actually is identified, by "#define BARBROKE 1225" in names.h. :dukejk:
Though used by mappers as tap, faucet, meat hook, etc, instead.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostLeoD, on 22 May 2022 - 03:07 AM, said:

Well, in this case it actually is identified, by "#define BARBROKE 1225" in names.h. :dukejk:
Though used by mappers as tap, faucet, meat hook, etc, instead.

I mean "unidentified" by its look, there are many sprites in Duke which can be interpreted in different ways. And for mappers it is great!

@brullov
@jkas789

Huh, I wouldn't have thought it was unless you pointed it out but now I can see it.

@brullov
@jkas789

Huh, I wouldn't have thought it was unless you pointed it out but now I can see it.

• The Truth is in here

The underwater mine is now mining on Github.

Posted Image

User is offline   sofakng 

Hey guys, I just discovered this mod and it's fantastic!

Are voxels made for everything in the game (start to finish) or is this still being completed?

• The Truth is in here

I guess we are still not finished, but considering the original goal was to just get the pickups done, we've come quite far.

If you came here hoping for a 100% pack like the one Chillo released for Doom recently, I'm afraid this isn't it (without the intent to speak ill about the incredible work provided by the numerous artists involved in this humble project, ofc). Even though it seems voxel enemies ARE possible after all, it would probably take Chillo himself to pull that off over here as well (considering the required effort). Unless a small miracle happens, that is.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 23 August 2022 - 01:03 PM

User is offline   FakeOff 

Is there a list of items that don't have voxels yet? I'd like to help if there's any help needed

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostNightFright, on 23 August 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

I guess we are still not finished, but considering the original goal was to just get the pickups done, we've come quite far.

If you came here hoping for a 100% pack like the one Chillo released for Doom recently, I'm afraid this isn't it (without the intent to speak ill about the incredible work provided by the numerous artists involved in this humble project, ofc). Even though it seems voxel enemies ARE possible after all, it would probably take Chillo himself to pull that off over here as well (considering the required effort). Unless a small miracle happens, that is.

Voxelized monsters in Duke are a real challenge for just one reason: they miss vertical tilt poses. Doom have way less verticality in the design of its levels and therefore does not suffer from this limitation. Sprites are coded to always face the player.

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostJmoc, on 29 August 2022 - 05:01 AM, said:

Voxelized monsters in Duke are a real challenge for just one reason: they miss vertical tilt poses. Doom have way less verticality in the design of its levels and therefore does not suffer from this limitation. Sprites are coded to always face the player.

Duke's sprites are also bigger in size, so it will take a lot more time to produce.

User is offline   juvenite 

(off-topic but) Happy birthday brullov, btw!

View PostFakeOff, on 29 August 2022 - 04:51 AM, said:

Is there a list of items that don't have voxels yet? I'd like to help if there's any help needed

There's no real list. Just see what's done and what's not. Borion is supposed to make 686 (camera) and 516 (sattelite dish), so I wouldn't touch them.

If your art is good, then I see no problem adding more voxels.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 31 August 2022 - 09:59 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Posted Image

User is offline   Aleks 

View Postbrullov, on 30 October 2022 - 07:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

Awesome, love how buffed he looks there and how intimidating the jaw looks with all the fangs seen in 3D. Only weird thing is how his right knee is kinda... missing? :P

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostAleks, on 30 October 2022 - 09:42 AM, said:

Awesome, love how buffed he looks there and how intimidating the jaw looks with all the fangs seen in 3D. Only weird thing is how his right knee is kinda... missing? :P

Thanks! Knee will be fixed as other problems I can see only after I post something. The big problem is that a lot of model parts are misaligned in sprites, they don't match at all.

Nice work!

Knee will be fixed as other problems I can see only after I post something.

Yeah, I get ya. When I post my GIFs, somehow I also notice issues which I couldn't see before.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 30 October 2022 - 12:06 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostDzierzan, on 30 October 2022 - 12:06 PM, said:

Yeah, I get ya. When I post my GIFs, somehow I also notice issues which I couldn't see before.

I got the same thing with maps, often I notice some small nasty stuff only when taking/posting screenshots. And actually did the exact same thing at work a moment ago, finished a task then only while taking pictures, realised there were a few spots where I made mistakes.

User is online   ck3D 

View PostAleks, on 31 October 2022 - 04:04 AM, said:

I got the same thing with maps, often I notice some small nasty stuff only when taking/posting screenshots. And actually did the exact same thing at work a moment ago, finished a task then only while taking pictures, realised there were a few spots where I made mistakes.

I too get that so much, but it's normal. Once something crystallizes into picture form, it starts existing as nothing but the picture (or .gif) for even the author to look at, instead of an entire pseudo-3D world or I'd assume some ensemble of frames that would require a whole different level of focus and consideration. And as such, we have a 'fixated' product to look at and inspect in ways we wouldn't think of otherwise in the usual settings. What's funny is how commonly such realizations happen post-public post. Everyone thinks their thing is done and presentable until they do present it and then realize maybe it isn't.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 31 October 2022 - 04:15 AM

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

My first contribution to the voxel pack. Monk (1352).

Posted Image

User is online   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

Sorry for the double post. My file did not attach.

Attached File(s)

• Attached File  1352.zip (7.22K)
    Number of downloads: 62

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options