Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Sadly, those voxelized slime babes blow the HRP models sky-high out of the water.

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Well, I guess it's a game over for me.

I see no longer any point doing any voxels for this pack :-(, as it's gonna be surpassed by Chello's one.

• The Truth is in here

I just don't get how this guy can be so insanely fast. He's seemingly doing the work of what could take months, if not years, with several people within a few weeks. One wonders what could have been if he had been around much sooner.
Two competing VPs is a luxury we could have never even dreamt about. At some point, Cheello's version will, without any doubt, also be more complete, especially since it's going to cover enemies as well.

Guess it's time to wrap up what we have for a final offical 2.0 release, considering the "show-stealer" is on its way. :D (Still waiting for some port-sided voxel switch for the addons, though.)

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 16 April 2024 - 02:45 AM, said:

I'm not sure about where that voxel pack leads to. Voxelizing everything including all the enemies may increase the loading time and impact framerates considerably.

This is my main problem with the voxels made by Chillo. Voxels like trees in Build Engine games are already pretty taxing performance wise (to the point that they have to be disabled on def for some user addons/maps to be playable) so unless you only and only want to play the campaign then the voxel enemies are not usable. The Build Engine is not like GZDoom.

Also I have witnessed some monster closets in Doom user maps with his voxel pack telegraphed because the voxel models clip out of the walls. Corpses also look very out of place in levels with them again clipping into walls or slopes. I just don't think that in old FPS games with the level design of Duke Nukem or Doom 3D Enemies make that much sense. Visually it's impressive, practically it's jank.

View PostJan Satcitananda, on 16 April 2024 - 02:45 AM, said:

I suppose he's redoing everything for more Patreon support, since he wouldn't get much from that project if he reused the community voxels in his pack.

Tbf as well I think that him redoing the voxel packs is not actually a bad thing. It will if nothing else help him perfect his craft and working on different styles of sprites is good exercise.

View Post0815Jack, on 07 April 2024 - 07:49 AM, said:

I've been following Chello for some time now and his stuff is really amazing.

Gonna be honest I much prefer YijArt's and Dzierzan's work than Chillo's. There is just something with volume and proportions that Chillo seems to exaggerate. The Blood bucket voxel though was pretty impressive.

Now in regards to this:

View PostDzierzan, on 03 May 2024 - 04:05 AM, said:

I see no longer any point doing any voxels for this pack :-(, as it's gonna be surpassed by Chello's one.

On the contrary, I think this should light you up! As I said before and has been noted in this thread, Chillo's voxels are not perfect and there is much that can and should be improved on both voxel packs. Competition in this space can only be a good thing!

View PostNightFright, on 03 May 2024 - 04:18 AM, said:

Two competing VPs is a luxury we could have never even dreamt about. At some point, Cheello's version will, without any doubt, also be more complete, especially since it's going to cover enemies as well.
Guess it's time to wrap up what we have for a final offical 2.0 release, considering the "show-stealer" is on its way. :D (Still waiting for some port-sided voxel switch for the addons, though.)

Wouldn't it be possible for later on in the future to merge both packs and have a "ultimate remix" version of the DN3D voxel pack, and the rest of the Build Engine games voxel packs as a whole? Although I guess that last one is on Dzierzan and fgsfds as maintainers of the other voxel packs. Personally I have been doing this with both Blood Voxel packs. I am quite fond of Chillo's bouncing voxel bucket.

User is offline   0815Jack 

View Postjkas789, on 03 May 2024 - 09:01 AM, said:

Gonna be honest I much prefer YijArt's and Dzierzan's work than Chillo's. There is just something with volume and proportions that Chillo seems to exaggerate. The Blood bucket voxel though was pretty impressive.

Well that's like always personal preference, but like I said before you can always tell Cheello what you dislike about his work.... And regarding the performance: I have a test map with ~ 90% with all objects of the game and it runs smoothly on my system with the current voxel pack. Merging the two packs really depens on when Cheello is going the make his pack public

View PostDzierzan, on 03 May 2024 - 04:05 AM, said:

I don't see it that way. I like your style and work,too. Keep on going :)

View PostNightFright, on 03 May 2024 - 04:18 AM, said:

Well Cheelo is fast, but in my opinion it will take mabye > 2 years to get everything finished. If he decides to to the parallax stuff even longer. So there is no hurry. And the question is if he will keep going till the end....

User is offline   Borion 

Hello after long time

As Dzierzan knows I got two of the missing objects ready for a while - movie camera & one of the small antennas. Only thing that is left to do (for months) is KVX conversion.

In the summer I will probably do some revisions of few of my early shitty models. I cringe when I look at some of them :D

@Dzierzan I think it is time to redo weakest stuff in this pack. Cheello does its own thing and specific interpretations. I think it would be nice to even out quality of this pack before considering it done. It is just opinion.

View PostBorion, on 03 May 2024 - 03:57 PM, said:

Hello after long time

As Dzierzan knows I got two of the missing objects ready for a while - movie camera & one of the small antennas. Only thing that is left to do (for months) is KVX conversion.

In the summer I will probably do some revisions of few of my early shitty models. I cringe when I look at some of them :D

@Dzierzan I think it is time to redo weakest stuff in this pack. Cheello does its own thing and specific interpretations. I think it would be nice to even out quality of this pack before considering it done. It is just opinion.

Borion welcome back dude! So nice to see you posting after a while mate!

User is offline   Borion 

jkas789, on 03 May 2024 - 06:00 PM, said:

Borion welcome back dude! So nice to see you posting after a while mate!

Hey, likewise! :)

• The Truth is in here

Cheello can already go home again. We're back in business.

User is offline   Borion 

We are, mates :)

User is offline   Borion 

KVX file is finally prepared & sent to Nightfright. I hope I didn't messed up pivot settings :wallbash:

Movie-set camera (686):
Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Unfortunately you did, but it was quite easy to fix. Added to the repository, and welcome back!

User is offline   Borion 

View PostNightFright, on 06 May 2024 - 06:23 AM, said:

Unfortunately you did, but it was quite easy to fix. Added to the repository, and welcome back!

Thanks for correction & accepting the model. It is nice to be back :)

User is offline   Dzierzan 

I guess we can continue that show.

Not so spectacular, voxels papers (4460, 4461, 4462)

Posted Image

User is offline   RPD Guy 

As usual, this thread keeps up the great work. Keep the good job guys.

User is offline   Borion 

That f***ing dish was killing me. :D I had to take some liberties because sprite has few perspective "mistakes".

Dish Antenna (516)
Posted Image

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostBorion, on 27 May 2024 - 05:51 AM, said:

That f***ing dish was killing me. :D I had to take some liberties because sprite has few perspective "mistakes".

Now that you mention it, I can't get over how weird the original looks. Good job fixing the perspective.

• The Truth is in here

Voxel has been added, however I couldn't test it since it isn't used in any of the official maps.

View PostNightFright, on 27 May 2024 - 09:23 PM, said:

Voxel has been added, however I couldn't test it since it isn't used in any of the official maps.

Huh. Is there any User Map in particular were we could test it? I don't remember one map specifically myself.

User is offline   JacketAU 

This is some incredible work, bravo everyone involved!

• The Truth is in here

View Postjkas789, on 27 May 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

Huh. Is there any User Map in particular were we could test it? I don't remember one map specifically myself.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know any right now. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to find a random one (for sure there are quite a few in the Addon Compilation for example, such as the "Urban Map Pack" or the "Space Map Pack"). Just a little bit of luck is needed. Or Mapster32, if you are looking for sprites using tile #615.

View Postjkas789, on 27 May 2024 - 11:07 PM, said:

Here is my self-made map to test voxels etc.... Attached File  HRP-TEST_2024-05-12.zip (10.92K)
Number of downloads: 62

use teleporter to large props

This post has been edited by 0815Jack: 28 May 2024 - 05:54 AM

Thanks mate I'll check the voxels when I can.

• The Truth is in here

This test map is indeed helpful, also to check which assets haven't been voxelized yet.

Good news is that Borion's latest dish is aligned correctly, at least as far as z offsets are concerned. As a bonus, I randomly found that the five targets in the E4L4 shooting gallery needed maphacks (were facing the opposite direction).

Bosses finally.

User is offline   VGames 

His head looks goofy. Though I’ve never been a fan of voxel enemies. They look fat and weird to me.

View PostFantinaikos, on 29 May 2024 - 11:12 AM, said:

Bosses finally.

well I wish he would finish one enenmy and then start a new one, but at the moment he has started with 6 so far (trooper, pigcop, octabrain, shark, enforcer and now battlelord)

User is offline   VGames 

It’s probably to keep from burning out. Because the process of making that one voxel frame for the battlelord was horrible. It’s not something I could stomach doing for long periods of time.

User is offline   Mark 

I thought making voxels like that was hard work. According to the video it takes only 34 minutes. :lol:

• The Truth is in here

What that video impressively demonstrates is that a solid amount of OCD is required if your goal is to create enemy voxels.

Share this topic:

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options