• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   0815Jack 

View PostDzierzan, on 31 October 2021 - 03:03 AM, said:

BTW if anybody is interested, here's HRP-TEST map modified to have more sprites. I renamed it to VOXELS-TEST. I forgot who was the original author of that map.

I'm the orignal author... it was created to check the HRP pack stuff.... before voxel became so popular. It's nice to see that it's still useful.. and you added sprites that I don't think about turning into voxels... :)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Ion Fury maphacking started:
Attached Image: z1a1-bar-1-mapster.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-bar-2-art.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-bar-3-kvx.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-bar-4-kvx+maphack.jpg
Attached Image: z1a1-sink-1-mapster.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-sink-2-art.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-sink-3-kvx.jpg Attached Image: z1a1-sink-4-kvx+maphack.jpg

Concerning tile10422 and other fence-like structures:
Placing such KVX models "behind" the pivot is a rather unfortunate choice. They should be centred or protrude forwards. In the example below (Ionpiercer) it doesn't matter much: one of the two has to be turned around anyway.
Attached Image: 10422-art.jpg Attached Image: 10422-mapster.jpg Attached Image: 10422-kvx.jpg Attached Image: 10422-maphacked.jpg

Things change however, when an item is actually aligned to a wall as decoration. Then it may become distorted or almost invisible and may also be overlooked during maphacking.
Attached Image: 10422-backwards.jpg

When protruding forwards the maphacker can still decide do move or 'notmd' it.
Attached Image: 10422-forwards.jpg Attached Image: 10422-art-notmd.jpg

Based on my experience from HRP maphacking I suggest to make fences centred around the z-axis, even though I'd have to touch both 10422 instances in the example above.

Btw., the KVXes would be easier to browse if leading zeroes were added to their tile numbers.

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostLeoD, on 01 November 2021 - 04:26 PM, said:

Ion Fury maphacking started:

Memes aside, weren't there already maphacks for Ion Fury? Or am I getting my voxel packs mixed?

User is offline   Dzierzan 

Leo, there is a thread for Ion Fury voxel pack :D. Post there that stuff. I know it is less visited than this thread, but still it is not right place for that.

@jkas there is maybe like 10 lines of code for maphacks which covers 10 sprites.

This post has been edited by Dzierzan: 01 November 2021 - 11:41 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostDzierzan, on 01 November 2021 - 11:06 PM, said:

Leo, there is a thread for Ion Fury voxel pack :D. Post there that stuff. I know it is less visited than this thread, but still it is not right place for that.
Dang, Posted while half asleep.
Moderators, please move.

Back to the topic:

E4M11 has some double sided sprites for shading purposes. It works nicely for sprites, but badly for voxels as it renders two voxels, so they overlap. Now I see two solutions, use `notmd` in order to disable at least one side, let's say darker one or move the dark one into the ground (mdposzoff 99999).

Moving a sprite into the ground appears to be a better solution, but there's one slight issue... It works all fine in Polymost renderer but in Classic one, one side is rendered, but the other one is not.

This is how it looks like it Classic.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Personally I never use Classic renderer and I wouldn't be suprised if majority of people use Polymost anyway.

I use mostly classic rendering. Polymost only if I play the Steam version.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I never use polymost.

Then I dunno, no matter the solution, one group will be hurt.

I use Polymost myself. What is the issue here? One voxel sign not showing up as voxel either on polymost or classic?

EDIT: Never mind, I'm retarded.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 03 November 2021 - 04:55 PM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostDzierzan, on 03 November 2021 - 01:07 PM, said:

Then I dunno, no matter the solution, one group will be hurt.

The solution would be to update one of the renderers so it matches the behavior of the other.

Also, doesn't notmd merely make the sprite remain drawn as a sprite?

If you use "notmd", you will see both sprite and voxel in Polymost. And in Classic renderer, one side will be rendered as sprite, the other as voxel.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Attached Image: duke0282.png

what

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

That looks like DUKEDC3 "Nuked Files", right?

View PostNightFright, on 12 November 2021 - 03:15 AM, said:

It is indeed.

View PostNightFright, on 12 November 2021 - 03:15 AM, said:

yes

that wasn't the only one either:

Attached Image: duke0281.png

In fact the whole level seemed...unright. Besides the paintings having an angle separate from the wall (i dont even know how thats possible), the chair directions seemed raw, models sort of clipped into the wall at certain points, weapon pickup orientations were off...

That was the only level in DC that was like that though. The others were normal.

EDIT: Actually, thinking on it, Brown Water seemed a bit off, too. Not anywhere near as much, but the main control console (the one that controls the shutter and has the security camera to the yellow key) stuck out to me as odd with the way the chairs were arranged, plus the donut box facing the monitors, rear end sort of hovering above the console.

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 12 November 2021 - 05:25 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

I wonder if the maphacks were made for the Megaton version of the map but applied to the vanilla map (as found in the GRP file) or the other way around.

Edit: Those sprites are angled correctly in the ERP for me, and also correctly when I tested with maphacks disabled in GDX.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 12 November 2021 - 07:22 AM

View PostPhredreeke, on 12 November 2021 - 06:38 AM, said:

I wonder if the maphacks were made for the Megaton version of the map but applied to the vanilla map (as found in the GRP file) or the other way around.

Edit: Those sprites are angled correctly in the ERP for me, and also correctly when I tested with maphacks disabled in GDX.

I don't know what to offer. I just installed the voxel pack from github.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Added to Github.

Posted Image

Alright, this meter voxel has exactly the same issue as above signs. But since I didn't get any real answers to my question, I am leaving this ZOffset fighting issue (only in Polymost).

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostDzierzan, on 16 December 2021 - 11:38 AM, said:

Alright, this meter voxel has exactly the same issue as above signs. But since I didn't get any real answers to my question, I am leaving this ZOffset fighting issue (only in Polymost).

Posted Image

Posted Image

If this is a case of two sprites in one location, the best bet is likely to take the extra sprite and sink very deep into the floor with a maphack. (To any devs reading: We could use a way to force cstat or make sprites and models alike invisible from maphacks, so massive offsets aren't needed.)

• The Truth is in here

Github updated.

@Striker

Can't Polymost support voxel rendering the same way as Classic one does it? Which means it only renders "one" side. That would mean shading for sprites would be kept, as mappers intended it to be. For Ion Fury I just sunk some sprites deep underground, but that's no ideal solution, as I am breaking mappers' intentions.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Maybe, but likely not easily. Polymost renders voxels by converting them to models when the renderer is initialized, meaning realtime alteration is difficult. Software does things much differently.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I recall Plagman once saying he intended to implement voxels in polymer as a point cloud. Of course, if it were easy it would have been done already I imagine.

Posted Image

Posted Image

• The Truth is in here

Github updated. Note that with the holidays coming up, my activities will reduce significantly. Will still try to get things checked, but don't be surprised if it sometimes takes a bit longer than usual.

You're the bees knees NightFright!

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options