View Postmxrtxn, on 29 August 2020 - 01:03 PM, said:

Here´s another quick one:

Posted Image

A 2x smaller version would be awesome as an extra voxel for mods, etc,

or you draw the sprite at half size :)

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 29 August 2020 - 01:15 PM, said:

or you draw the sprite at half size :)

That too... Although slab6 has an option to scale up or down voxels, you will loose some details of course if you make the voxel smaller.

Best Credit Card ever:

Posted Image

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Sorry for dislike, my fat finger pressed the wrong button!

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostPhredreeke, on 29 August 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

Sorry for dislike, my fat finger pressed the wrong button!

No problemo!

voodoo ring:

Posted Image

BTW. Do you know how to make work animated voxels in VoidSW??

Hendricks told me that animated voxels are possible in that port, so far I could only make it work on BuildGDX.

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 29 August 2020 - 02:34 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Postmxrtxn, on 29 August 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

No problemo!

voodoo ring:

Posted Image

BTW. Do you know how to make work animated voxels in VoidSW??

Hendricks told me that animated voxels are possible in that port, so far I could only make it work on BuildGDX.

Probably just by making voxels for every frame of the sprite, and defining them in DEF.

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostStriker, on 29 August 2020 - 06:51 PM, said:

Probably just by making voxels for every frame of the sprite, and defining them in DEF.

Thanks Striker,

BTW this is the last test I´ve done in BuildGDX:

If you want I can convert those voxels to duke for you to use in your mod :)

User is offline   mxrtxn 

We are going bananas today!

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 30 August 2020 - 08:56 AM

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Are you going to upload these as a pack once you are done? Ideally in kvx format (dunno if EDuke32 can handle any other format) and defs. Asking for a friend. :)

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Gonna leave this empty crate as an extra voxel also.

Posted Image

It looks good as extra content for mods for both Shadow Warrior and Duke maps, besides you can make extra voxel just adding any fruit you want.

Is it too hard to learn to make maps for both SW and Duke? (I may wanna try that someday)

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

Are you going to upload these as a pack once you are done? Ideally in kvx format (dunno if EDuke32 can handle any other format) and defs. Asking for a friend. :)

That is the idea! I was making these on vox due to the fact that it seems that magica voxel doesnt like kvx. For instance when making voxels for Shadow Warrior I have to change the format from vox to kvx once I wanna add them to game.

Forgvie my ignorance: What is the voxel format for duke: kv6, kvx, vox??? (I know SW uses kvx dunno about duke)

I am thinking on uploading all the voxels made so far once I finish a couple more today.

P.S. In slab6 you can change a voxel from vox to kvx.

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 30 August 2020 - 10:30 AM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

I am on fire today!

Posted Image

Download link will be sent later today :)

• The Truth is in here

I start wondering if we can put this into the existing voxel pack without having to make a seperate one. Is there a way with "ifcrc" maybe?

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

I start wondering if we can put this into the existing voxel pack without having to make a seperate one. Is there a way with "ifcrc" maybe?

To be honest I don´t know. Maybe Hendricks, Striker or someone more knowledgable may know,.

What a productive way to spend the weekend LOL, Just finished the shotgun, pistol and their respective ammunition.

Posted Image

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Ok Here is what I promised, all the voxels I made in these days:

Posted Image

DOWNLOAD (kvx format):

http://www.mediafire...l_Pack.rar/file

I will update the link in the future just like I do it with the Voxel Pack for Shadow Warrior

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 30 August 2020 - 07:44 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View Postmxrtxn, on 30 August 2020 - 10:14 AM, said:

Is it too hard to learn to make maps for both SW and Duke? (I may wanna try that someday)

Given that you appear to be such a visual artist, I don't think it would be that difficult for you to pick up. I would suggest learning Duke first. It has more modern and easy documentation. If you can learn Duke mapping, it just takes a little more work to understand SW. It's like 80% the same.

Build/Mapster 32 is probably the easiest level design application that was ever created.

Great work on the voxels as usual!

This post has been edited by Jimmy: 30 August 2020 - 07:27 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Nice work, Martin. I think the seagull would benefit quite a lot from voxelization.

• The Truth is in here

@mxrtxn:
It seems your pack only includes the empty banana box, but not the full one (tile #53).

In the meantime, I am wondering if a syntax like this is supported - and if it is not, maybe it could be implemented:
voxel "voxels/pickups/0021_pistol.kvx" { tile 21 }
voxel "voxels/vacation/pickups/0021_pistol.kvx" { tile 21 ifcrc <CRC> }

(First line: normal Duke3D sprite, second line: Vacation replacement)

Even easier would be includeif from DukeGDX so that alternate DEFs can be loaded depending on GRP, like:
includeif vacation.grp voxels/vacation.def

EDuke32 does not support that right now, though (if I am not mistaken).

This post has been edited by NightFright: 31 August 2020 - 02:28 AM

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostHendricks266, on 30 August 2020 - 11:23 PM, said:

Nice work, Martin. I think the seagull would benefit quite a lot from voxelization.

I agree it is on my priority list of sprites to be converted.

By the way with some weapon sprites I will be force to take some artistic liberty when converting them to voxels, as some details are missing...

User is offline   mxrtxn 

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2020 - 11:31 PM, said:

@mxrtxn:
It seems your pack only includes the empty banana box, but not the full one (tile #53).

In the meantime, I am wondering if a syntax like this is supported - and if it is not, maybe it could be implemented:
voxel "voxels/pickups/0021_pistol.kvx" { tile 21 }
voxel "voxels/vacation/pickups/0021_pistol.kvx" { tile 21 ifcrc <CRC> }

(First line: normal Duke3D sprite, second line: Vacation replacement)

Even easier would be includeif from DukeGDX so that alternate DEFs can be loaded depending on GRP, like:
includeif vacation.grp voxels/vacation.def

EDuke32 does not support that right now, though (if I am not mistaken).

Thanks so much. I didn convert it to kvx format and I had it in my desktop´s trash bin as vox file. I almost erased it.

Posted Image

That is a quicky one I made today.

These are for the community, these ones below are not official, I converted them from the sw palette as I was doing some extra stuff for SW.

Posted Image

I think they fit Duke Nukem and this particular addon perfectly (and yes those bottles are Jack Daniels).

UPDATED DOWNLOAD LINK (including the voxels shown above and the missing crate with bananas):

http://www.mediafire...l+Pack.rar/file

Let me know your thoughts, ideas etc, etc, your feedback is important for this project.

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 31 August 2020 - 05:29 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

View Postmxrtxn, on 31 August 2020 - 05:05 PM, said:

Let me know your thoughts, ideas etc, etc, your feedback is important for this project.

I'm working hard trying to catch up to this thread but so far the voxels are looking good mate! As I've said before I'm a sucker for this things so more voxels in my games are always a good thing (to a point ofc).

Just a question. As a mod user (and someone who knows the bare minimum of modding eduke) how can I use this is my playthrough? By perusing the file organization and def contents of the Duke 3D Voxel Pack, I assume i must make an oragnized folder structure (separating the voxels by type) and have a def file with something inside along the lines of:

// Voxel props

voxel "voxels/props/XXX.kvx" { tile XXX }

and have that def file called by the duke 3D def.

How do I find out what tile is the voxel going to replace (I'm assuming that is what is happening in here)?

Or should I use this like the Shadow Warrior Voxel Pack (Which I believe you are responsible for and I owe my kidney for. It's damn awesome!) and just drop the contents into my eduke folder and forget about it?

• The Truth is in here

Ideally you just give the voxels the same names and use the same folder structure and load it after the voxel pack. That is, unless there are Vacation voxels that are not in the current VP.

UPDATE:
mxrtxn's Caribbean voxels added on Github. Right now, you need to edit defs to make it work. Hopefully there will be a better solution down the road.
Enable support by removing "//" from this line
// include voxels/vacation.def
either in duke3d_voxels.def or dukegdx.def.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2020 - 12:08 AM

View PostNightFright, on 01 September 2020 - 11:05 PM, said:

Ideally you just give the voxels the same names and use the same folder structure and load it after the voxel pack. That is, unless there are Vacation voxels that are not in the current VP.

UPDATE:
mxrtxn's Caribbean voxels added on Github. Right now, you need to edit defs to make it work. Hopefully there will be a better solution down the road.
Enable support by removing "//" from this line
// include voxels/vacation.def
either in duke3d_voxels.def or dukegdx.def.

Oh wow thanks for adding them to the github mate. Another question if I remove the // from the code (which I assume turns the line into a comment? Am I right? Coding is not myh area of expertise) what exactly would happen. Whould the game crash on startup because it isn't finding the vacation tiles the voxels are supposing to replace, or will it run? And if it does run, would there be any hit to performance because the game is looking for something that is not there?

• The Truth is in here

The worst that can happen are some warnings during startup which should not delay the entire process. There is also a way of not tempering with the entire voxel pack at all and just load another override file after that if you want to play Caribbean instead of regular Duke3D. I will think about that method, but tbh I'd be happier if Vacation detection got added for voxels.

And removing "//" means uncommenting (removing a comment line).

@EDuke32 coders:
Right now I see two options to make this easier, namely
1) Add ifcrc or ifmatch for voxel defs
2) Add includeif from DukeGDX to def language (to load specific defs only in case a certain groupfile is used, e.g. infludeif vacation.grp <def file>)

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2020 - 02:55 AM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Adding ifcrc/ifmatch to voxel definitions sounds good. The includeif token in the form that takes a GRP name is not happening because it is a flawed and fragile semantic. Maybe if it took an abstract category that means "if running in Caribbean mode", but I prefer directly testing the content being replaced itself as a more robust solution.

• The Truth is in here

I'd also prefer the first method because it means only one instance of voxel replacements for the same tile is loaded. Otherwise it would load original voxels first and then Caribbean on top of that.

Main thing is users won't have to mess around with defs. Things should be as easy as possible and ideally always work out-of-the-box.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 September 2020 - 09:59 AM

View PostNightFright, on 02 September 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

Main thing is users won't have to mess around with defs. Things should be as easy as possible and ideally always work out-of-the-box.

You see as a user I would also like that. However something I learned in the Skyrim modding community as both a user and a mod author is that if the user will have to learn at the very least the basics about how the game works to be able to optimally play a modded game. Granted not to the level of a mod author but enough that they can resolve conflicts on their own.

The biggest wall that I have experienced coming from that community to this one is the availability of information. Compared to other communites out there there is no one guide that orients a end user to playing a modded Duke 3d game. And the eduke32 wiki doesn't count. That thing is imo more mod author oriented both in language and writing. I'm talking a forum post that is direct and simple like:

1.-do this
2.-simple why
3.-how
4.-common conflicts/misconceptions
5.-link to a forum thread/eduke32 wiki page with more info

A guide that a end user can refer to from start (e.g. installing eduke 32, what is a grp, tweaking config, etc) to whatever end the author decides ( e.g. what is a def, using defs, what is CON, etc) and come out with a basic understanding at the end.

Here are two examples from the Skyrim (and really the same basic principles tendo to work in all bethesda game in generals) community. A beginner's guide that tries to do what I explained above and a users guide that gives a more flavored installation based on the author's preferences.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostNightFright, on 30 August 2020 - 09:44 AM, said:

Eduke32 only does kvx.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostReaperMan, on 02 September 2020 - 05:31 PM, said:

Eduke32 only does kvx.

It does KV6 as well for if you want voxels that are true-color. Polymost only however, and you need to define them like models, like so:

definemodel "voxels/pickups/4991_bon1a.kv6" 1.0 0
definemodelframe 0 4991 4991

This post has been edited by Striker: 03 September 2020 - 08:58 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

But then you're put in the same situation as I am with my upscales in that the engine doesn't do palswaps for you :)

User is offline   mxrtxn 

Guys due to some discrepancies between the sprites of the same weapon I will take some artiistic liberties when making these voxels, here´s an example:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by mxrtxn: 04 September 2020 - 08:31 PM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options