• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View Post0815Jack, on 24 May 2019 - 06:39 AM, said:

Is there somewhere a complete package of all this wonderful voxels?

We will be working on a new official release soonish.

User is offline   DotK3D 

Hi all, been a while since I posted here but even if I am not on duke these days I check the board every day (and follow the private chat on voxels on my emails ^^, thanks to adding me Reaper Man)

I especially want to congrats Borion for his incredible work, (and I adds lots of nice green pluses on your posts ^^). Of course the atomic health is really impressive but space suits are nice. One screenshot I find good looking was the one with the voxel fence on the roof of E1L1.
It's nice to see people back on the voxels pack, and congrats to all voxel makers !

The Duke community is really impressive, I've seen lots of great things (voxels, maps, mods - duke forces and Alien Armageddon, impressive !) even if I hadn't try them.

"Chapeau bas les gars, c'est vraiment du bon boulot !"

Regards,
DotK3D

This post has been edited by DotK3D: 25 May 2019 - 12:19 AM

User is offline   Borion 

Much appreciated, DotK3D! Merci bien!
Good to see that You are still with us, Dukesters.
In regard to this screenshot from E1M1, I will post later few others that show few views, that (almost) make me want to pause making voxel models and just do some maps with them <_<
I agree these are good days for this community, with so many great mods and projects being released/updated/teased. I hope it will stay that way for a long time!
Cheers

User is offline   Borion 

Chain (0920)

Preview of voxel model is stretched to make it look like in-game.

Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!h6...DIHD61FPNqLBXOE

line for props.def:
voxel "voxels/props/0920_chain.kvx" { tile 920 }

User is offline   Borion 

New perspective for old stuff <_<

Posted Image

User is offline   Borion 

Ooze Filter (1079-1081)

Posted Image
Posted Image

KVX files: https://mega.nz/#!Ry...M14BhXIIaDFEB84

lines for props.def:
voxel "voxels/props/1079_oozefilter_frame1.kvx" { tile 1079 }
voxel "voxels/props/1080_oozefilter_frame2.kvx" { tile 1080 }
voxel "voxels/props/1081_oozefilter_frame3.kvx" { tile 1081 }

User is offline   Borion 

Donuts (4440)

Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Zv...ewtoIwwMeUSp_FY
line for props.def:
voxel "voxels/props/4440_donuts.kvx" { tile 4440 }

Maskwall3 (0914)

Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!0i...Xny3mp12hIotKfY
line for props.def:
voxel "voxels/props/0914_maskwall3.kvx" { tile 914 }

User is offline   Jmoc 

Outstanding work Borion. Extremely faithful to the original sprites as always.

I have a feeling that the slime monster could work well as a voxel: apart from the horns they don't have a clear morphology, and the actor only has an handful of sprites!

User is offline   Borion 

View PostJmoc, on 26 May 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

Outstanding work Borion. Extremely faithful to the original sprites as always.

I have a feeling that the slime monster could work well as a voxel: apart from the horns they don't have a clear morphology, and the actor only has an handful of sprites!

Thank you!
About Slime monster, yes it might be good candidate for conversion. But IMO it is looking very good as it is, so I will let him be for a time being <_<
I would like to try making voxel models of some other enemies that IMO could gain from voxel conversion and are not overkill in terms of complexity and amount of frames.
Pigtank or Recon Patrol Vehicle look flat(ish) because of their scale and form, they are on my to-do list.
Something else I finished today:

Secured Area Sign (1172)

Posted Image

KVX: https://mega.nz/#!Av...n1JfWr84X_fcvcw

voxel "voxels/props/1172_securedareasign.kvx" { tile 1172 }

This post has been edited by Lunick: 26 May 2019 - 04:34 PM

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBorion, on 26 May 2019 - 10:04 AM, said:

voxel "voxels/props/1172_securedareasign.kvx" { tile 1172 }
According to the HRP structure, tile1172 belongs to the "signs" department, actually. <_<

As long as you seem unstoppable, more voxmodel requests (Zaxtor made some of them, rejected due to 'from scratch' policy):
Spoiler

User is offline   Borion 

View PostLeoD, on 27 May 2019 - 07:54 AM, said:

According to the HRP structure, tile1172 belongs to the "signs" department, actually. :P

Damn, force of habit...of course it belongs to signs - thanks <_<

"Unstoppable", hahahaha...sometimes :)
I will take care of (some of?) them. Not sure if it will happen before or after release of Voxel Pack update.

I see cue balls on the list. I thought all are already voxelized and present on E1M2. Are some of them missing?

Cheers

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View PostBorion, on 27 May 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

I see cue balls on the list. I thought all are already voxelized and present on E1M2. Are some of them missing?
No. Temporary blindness.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostLeoD, on 27 May 2019 - 10:37 AM, said:

No. Temporary blindness.

Ok <_<

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Excellent work as usual, however the colours are a little off on the donuts. I see a few browns here and there, and even a green pixel, where the original sprite only uses the copper colours in the palette.

Not sure if you're using any 2D programs to map out your sprites but Image Analyzer is unmatched in it's capabilities. Whereas even expensive products like Adobe Photoshop use a lazy and sloppy method to apply palettes, Image Analyzer does it flawlessly 99% of the time.

This post has been edited by Jimmy 100MPH: 27 May 2019 - 11:09 AM

User is offline   Borion 

View PostJimmy 100MPH, on 27 May 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Excellent work as usual, however the colours are a little off on the donuts. I see a few browns here and there, and even a green pixel, where the original sprite only uses the copper colours in the palette.

Not sure if you're using any 2D programs to map out your sprites but Image Analyzer is unmatched in it's capabilities. Whereas even expensive products like Adobe Photoshop use a lazy and sloppy method to apply palettes, Image Analyzer does it flawlessly 99% of the time.

Thanks for kind words, Jimmy. This green voxel got to be a mistake from painting or downsampling, and I missed it during “final inspection” - will correct it later.

I didn't know Image Analizer, sure interesting tool.
Got couple techniques & tools for palette remapping and downsampling. I use 2D programs and voxel editors alike in various combinations. Methods depend on particular subject.

These brown tones were conscious addition, do you really find them so much unfitting? I would rather keep them, but its not something I’m super determined to leave as is.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Borion: 27 May 2019 - 12:42 PM

User is offline   Mark 

I imported the duke palette on 6 different textures in Image Analyzer and my fav Paint Shop Pro 7.
Depending on colors used in the original, sometimes IA gave more accurate results and sometimes PSP did.
If IA had a thumbnail browse feature I might keep it installed for an occasional use like I do with Gimp. But it doesn't. <_<
But keep in mind my testing did not involve any other color tweaking before or after applying the duke palette.
The differences between the 2 programs was minor but noticable.

This post has been edited by Mark: 27 May 2019 - 01:48 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostBorion, on 27 May 2019 - 12:41 PM, said:

These brown tones were conscious addition, do you really find them so much unfitting? I would rather keep them, but its not something I’m super determined to leave as is.

There's not a single brown pixel in the sprite so in my opinion this is wholly inaccurate to the sprite.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Since we’re pointing out colour differences, the chain voxel seems to have some stray green pixels which aren’t visible on the sprite. In fact, the chain sprite looks very new and clean, while the voxel chain looks old and grimy.

User is offline   Borion 

View PostMicky C, on 27 May 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

Since we’re pointing out colour differences, the chain voxel seems to have some stray green pixels which aren’t visible on the sprite. In fact, the chain sprite looks very new and clean, while the voxel chain looks old and grimy.

These are not stray colours. This is crustose of lichens also present on original. I exaggerated it & rust so - without pixel-art outline present in original - this chain doesn't look like plastic. All colours are present in original.

Guys, don't get offended, but I don't care if I add two, three or five tones that are not present in original sprite. I believe I know what I'm doing and this is all DN3D palette anyway.
I will correct brown tones in donuts to be more like in original, but chain stays as it is.

Have a good day/night

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

View PostBorion, on 28 May 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

These are not stray colours. This is crustose of lichens also present on original. I exaggerated it & rust so - without pixel-art outline present in original - this chain doesn't look like plastic. All colours are present in original.

Guys, don't get offended, but I don't care if I add two, three or five tones that are not present in original sprite. I believe I know what I'm doing and this is all DN3D palette anyway.
I will correct brown tones in donuts to be more like in original, but chain stays as it is.

Have a good day/night

I dig your art style and I think you fit perfectly Duke Nukem 3D art direction. You made a great move adding colors there and there.

Guys, environment voxels don't have to be the same as sprites. 3D and 2D stuff are very different, some techniques work only for 2D, some only for 3D.

• Honored Donor

At the end of the day, it's Borion who's putting his time in to make these fantastic voxels, so he has the final say on them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't voice our thoughts on the results so that there can be healthy discussion which may result in potential improvement.

Not that anyone was suggesting otherwise.

User is offline   Jmoc 

View PostBorion, on 28 May 2019 - 12:08 AM, said:

Have a good day/night

The added details are gorgeous BUT there might be some issues within the context in which such voxels are placed. For example, in space-themed maps, the moldy green details on the chains voxel might be slightly out of place. But those are very minor qualms!

User is offline   Borion 

View PostMicky C, on 28 May 2019 - 01:49 AM, said:

At the end of the day, it's Borion who's putting his time in to make these fantastic voxels, so he has the final say on them. That doesn't mean we shouldn't voice our thoughts on the results so that there can be healthy discussion which may result in potential improvement.

Not that anyone was suggesting otherwise.

My response was probably sounding too harsh, sorry. PR skills are not among best of my qualities.

I value input guys, just have lots of strong opinions & preferences in regard to visual stuff.

For example, in space-themed maps, the moldy green details on the chains voxel might be slightly out of place.

Yes, you are right. At the same time I like to think this chain would belong more to rought universe of Alien than clean interiors of Startrek (both are direct and in-direct inspirations for DN3D). Think chains in cargo bay where cat Jonesy likes to hang around <_<

There is mold/lichen on original sprite. If this green tones would be against intentions of DN3D designers, it would be removed.
Posted Image

Cheers

EDIT: changed wording to be more in-line with intentions

This post has been edited by Borion: 28 May 2019 - 05:32 AM

• Honored Donor

Those slightly green pixels aren't necessarily lichen. With a limited colour palate, 8-bit art grabs the nearest colour it can find which isn't always a perfect match for the context. Combined with a low resolution, it is possible to mistake such stray pixels for detail that isn't there.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

Considering the context in which it's used in-game officially, I do think it's either mold, lichen, or algae.

User is offline   ReaperMan 

It could also be moss.

• Honored Donor

Maybe construction workers sneezed on it <_<

Given that the chain is brown instead of grey, it's safe to assume that it is quite old, and may feature signs of age such as lichen.

Unless it's bronze Posted Image

This post has been edited by Micky C: 28 May 2019 - 11:23 PM

User is offline   brullov 

• Senior Artist at TGK

So much attention to this chain which I can't remember in game, lol.

Borion, please do not stop, I check this forum every day for this thread.

User is offline   Borion 

@Brullov Yes, it is unexpected:) Its funny how some items that I thought are “nothing to write home about” caused some discussions, but those that I expected to cause commotion were silently accepted.
These things are very subjective...
You check this thread every day? I think all involved are happy to read such comments. Stay tuned, man! <_<

User is offline   Kyanos 

I check this thread daily too, probably spend more time reading it than working on the shrinker voxel lol. I completely redid the handle end and the tubes to look more like the model Jimmy posted, it just needs it's final paint over then it'll be done.

2 cents about your colour choices Borion. Be careful, it's not so much about any one sprite as it can be about potential hazards induced with in game palette swapping and distance shading even is very unique in build and may bite.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 29 May 2019 - 12:47 PM

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options