Duke4.net Forums: Duke 3D Voxel Pack - Duke4.net Forums

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke 3D Voxel Pack

View PostReaperMan, on 17 June 2011 - 07:02 AM, said:

Should be like this for the autoload folder...

C:/duke3d/autoload/duke3d_voxel(zipped)

autoload folder isn't zipped, everything in the autoload folder is zipped.

Yep, that's exactly how I have it. It doesn't work for me. :D

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You probably have a conflict with duke3d.def, and the HRP, or something. Getting packs like this to work in tandem with others is so frustrating.

Open duke3d.def (it may be in your HRP files, if so, extract it to your EDuke32 directory) and add this line at the bottom:

include duke3d_voxel.def

User is offline   ReaperMan 

You don't have polymer on do you?

• Weaponized Autism

Note that if you follow my instructions, you will have to deal with it when you try to run Duke D.C.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Looking good, ReaperMan! A few technical remarks about stuff I learned while messing with the voxel code:

* wall-aligned voxels should really be scaled by 5/4 horizontally by the renderer (will be in the next revision)
* Voxel mips are really broken, so they're better turned off. I don't think it'll affect performance too much since you're replacing sprite tiles that are placed rather sparsely.
* There are a couple of inconsistencies between how Classic and Polymost draw voxels you should be aware of. One is the handling of floor-aligned sprites, and another one is that Polymost apparently is unaware of per-tile yoffset. Compare the steroids pickup for an example, which for some odd reason has yoffset -4.
* Another issue IMO is that back-facing, 1-sided, wall-aligned voxels aren't culled (as are models btw), which is inconsistent with how wall-aligned plain sprites are treated. I think if we removed both such voxels and models from the scene, a lot of maphack code -- at least that for "invisible" switches ornamented to white walls -- would be rendered redundant. Of course, a model can extend beyond the "y=0" plane, but wall ornaments are about the only sensible use for one-sided, wall-aligned sprites anyway.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 June 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

* Another issue IMO is that back-facing, 1-sided, wall-aligned voxels aren't culled (as are models btw), which is inconsistent with how wall-aligned plain sprites are treated. I think if we removed both such voxels and models from the scene, a lot of maphack code -- at least that for "invisible" switches ornamented to white walls -- would be rendered redundant. Of course, a model can extend beyond the "y=0" plane, but wall ornaments are about the only sensible use for one-sided, wall-aligned sprites anyway.

And could that be fixed for Polymer at the same time? It's definitely one of those things that make some folks in the old guard hesitant to use the HRP (since there are hundreds of user maps that use "invisible" switches and there are no maphacks for them).

View PostHendricks266, on 17 June 2011 - 08:58 AM, said:

Note that if you follow my instructions, you will have to deal with it when you try to run Duke D.C.

I just made a new eDuke32 folder to run this mod separately, and managed to get it working, it's a lot easier that way. :D

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHelixhorned, on 17 June 2011 - 10:25 AM, said:

Looking good, ReaperMan! A few technical remarks about stuff I learned while messing with the voxel code:

* wall-aligned voxels should really be scaled by 5/4 horizontally by the renderer (will be in the next revision)
* Voxel mips are really broken, so they're better turned off. I don't think it'll affect performance too much since you're replacing sprite tiles that are placed rather sparsely.
* There are a couple of inconsistencies between how Classic and Polymost draw voxels you should be aware of. One is the handling of floor-aligned sprites, and another one is that Polymost apparently is unaware of per-tile yoffset. Compare the steroids pickup for an example, which for some odd reason has yoffset -4.

It's always great to see voxels getting some love in the source. Polymer support maybe? :D

Also this: Voxel priority option vs. Hightile - ID: 3284640

I have been having a few hard-drive problems and some progress has been lost. Don't fear though, as most of what i have made has been saved, but this will be bit of a set back.

Also, look at this sexy vent... enjoy. :(

Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 17 July 2011 - 03:52 PM, said:

I have been having a few hard-drive problems and some progress has been lost. Don't fear though, as most of what i have made has been saved, but this will be bit of a set back.

I'm sad to hear that... That's what you get for not uploading more versions as you go along. :(

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

That's a shame, but cheers to it not discouraging you. The vent is great, I hadn't even thought that it could stand to be a little more 3D.

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 17 July 2011 - 06:26 PM, said:

That's a shame, but cheers to it not discouraging you. The vent is great, I hadn't even thought that it could stand to be a little more 3D.

The broken vent looks awesome voxelized.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Oh dear, must you tease me? I didn't even think of that. (Must I mention I'm an idiot? :()

Anyone think i should have a start up logo for the Voxel pack. Kinda like the one for the HRP.

• Weaponized Autism

Since voxels are really 8-bit, you would need to make an 8-bit replacement for the 3D Realms screen. Since it has a custom palette that's useful for nothing other than itself, and the palette differs between v1.3D and Atomic, and both palettes suck, you would be in a tough spot.

User is offline   Lunick 

Have you made any other Duke3D voxels lately?

View PostLunick, on 10 August 2011 - 02:19 AM, said:

Have you made any other Duke3D voxels lately?

A few but they are not finished.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I felt like messing around with voxels and I downloaded poly2vox (I've never used it before.) And the thing won't open! When I double click on it, a small black box with text which I assume is the program appears for half a second then immediately disappears. I've tried everything; running as administrator, using compatibility settings. I'm running windows 7 service pack 1, Google didn't help. Why isn't it working? :)

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

I think poly2vox is a commandline utility. Try invoking it after opening a command prompt (cmd.exe).

• Honored Donor

Oh crap! I meant to give you a +rep and slipped and gave you a minus rep :) I can't see a way to undo it...

Anyway I got the program to 'open' (I think). It gave some information in the command prompt window, but it's not working. I admit I don't have much experience with these things, what I did was basically go "poly2vox.exe chair.md3 chair.kvx /250" then it says it's reading bike with different file extensions and "can't find imput file." So I still don't have a clue how to actually convert the files Posted Image

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostMicky C, on 13 August 2011 - 02:24 AM, said:

Anyway I got the program to 'open' (I think). It gave some information in the command prompt window, but it's not working. I admit I don't have much experience with these things, what I did was basically go "poly2vox.exe chair.md3 chair.kvx /250" then it says it's reading bike with different file extensions and "can't find imput file." So I still don't have a clue how to actually convert the files Posted Image

Try this at command prompt >poly2vox.exe md3\\chair.md3 chair.kvx
Ken wrote an example inside the code (see line 91 of poly2vox.c)

oh ya. Be sure your md3 is in the same directory as poly2vox.

Edit: @ cmd prompt> poly2vox.exe
without any arguments calls a help file. It gets complex if your trying to load animated models. Good Luck :)

This post has been edited by Drek: 13 August 2011 - 05:56 AM

• Weaponized Autism

Poly2Vox is just a novelty utility IMO. "Real" voxels are made from scratch or from sprites in SLAB6.

• Honored Donor

View PostDrek, on 13 August 2011 - 05:29 AM, said:

Try this at command prompt >poly2vox.exe md3\\chair.md3 chair.kvx
Ken wrote an example inside the code (see line 91 of poly2vox.c)

oh ya. Be sure your md3 is in the same directory as poly2vox.

Edit: @ cmd prompt> poly2vox.exe
without any arguments calls a help file. It gets complex if your trying to load animated models. Good Luck :)

I tried that, and it still can't find the imput file. *Sigh* I give up. Thanks anyway.

Behold.... two pictures of the new voxel pistol that i just completed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It now looks more like the pistol that Duke is carrying and comes complete with a laser sight. So what do you guys think?

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 11 September 2011 - 05:34 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

Love It :(

• Weaponized Autism

View PostReaperMan, on 11 September 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

completed

It still doesn't have those vertical lines and the ejection port.

View PostHendricks266, on 11 September 2011 - 07:06 PM, said:

It still doesn't have those vertical lines and the ejection port.

I know I put them in, but they looked like crap so they are gone.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 11 September 2011 - 08:33 PM

Here is the Ripper ammo, the Ripper/Chainguncannon will be done next.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 13 September 2011 - 10:31 AM

How many hours did the chaingun ammo box take to make? I like it a lot.

• Weaponized Autism

Very nice.

Share this topic:

• 84 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options