Duke4.net Forums: IW v2 release - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IW v2 release  "after 10 years of work!"

User is offline   Jblade 

http://www.moddb.com...ld-tc/downloads

It's finally done! And weights in at 340mb - you'll need Polymost to play it; there is basic polymer support but I can't run it myself so consider it unsupported. I've worked on this mod for over a decade by myself (and some mapping support by Geoffrey, Highwire and a few others) It's considered the prequal to AMC TC as well and features a couple of characters. Once you've finished IW episode 4 it'll make a file called iw_complete.amctc - make sure to hold onto that for a reward in AMC TC when that's done as well.

It features 6 episodes - 3 are high paced action based and are revamps of the original IW levels, the 4th is a slower story based episode, the 5th is made of a few guest maps made for the TC and the 6th is Defense mode, where you have to kill enemies in arena for points. Beating the 3rd and 4th episodes unlocks further characters for Defense mode as well.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Jblade 

And here's the rest of the images since I couldn't post all of them at once:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   CruX 

The download's going to be just shy of 20 minutes, but this is already looking pretty epic. At just the right time, too. The modding section here has been pretty quiet lately.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I've heard of this thing here and there and it looks pretty amazing *clicks download*, I'm guessing now you have more time to work on the AMC TC?

This post has been edited by Micky C: 15 October 2010 - 01:11 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMicky C, on Oct 15 2010, 10:01 AM, said:

I've heard of this thing here and there and it looks pretty amazing *clicks download*, I'm guessing now you have more time to work on the AMC TC?

Yeah - or at least I can work on AMC TC with a clearer conscience knowing that I'm not neglecting at least one project that needed attention ;) It was important to get this out anyway, for reasons I stated in the first post and personal reasons as well.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I hate to say it but it crashes whenever I try to save, here's the log http://eduke32.pastebin.com/L0SZ7TxE.

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

Son of a! Another greatly anticipated mod for me.

You knew I was kind of busy and released it now to tease me, but ah well, I can always put other stuff aside since stuff like this rarely happens these days.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell you my thoughts in writing after playing through this beast.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMicky C, on Oct 15 2010, 10:56 AM, said:

I hate to say it but it crashes whenever I try to save, here's the log http://eduke32.pastebin.com/L0SZ7TxE.

Just confirmed it, but it only happens in levels that use a 3D skybox - the first episode does use them but they don't appear much in later levels. It's most likely an issue related to the older snapshot I included with the TC - later ones seem to take forever to load but you might have more luck with a newer one. Can't believe I didn't find out, but I guess I never ever save in the TC. Sorry about this!

• Ancient Blood God

I'm getting the exact same issue. Plus a problem with hud icons (and blood effects) being completely white.

View PostJames, on Oct 15 2010, 01:13 PM, said:

It's most likely an issue related to the older snapshot I included with the TC - later ones seem to take forever to load but you might have more luck with a newer one.

The current eduke32 crashes when entering a level, here's the log: http://eduke32.pastebin.org/203564

This post has been edited by Daedolon: 15 October 2010 - 02:23 AM

User is offline   Jblade 

I just tested it with the newest snapshot; it doesn't crash on save but it takes literally a few minutes to start up the game. I don't know why it does that on a newer snapshot and not an older one, but it's out of my hands as far as I know. If you get the save crash bug (that only occurs on skybox levels) than grab the latest snapshot from Eduke32.com

EDIT: Also it didn't crash for me on a level start - from what I can see the version I included is more stable excluding the issues with skyboxes and saving. If you pull down the console, type 'setvar skybox 0' and THEN save, then after pull it down and type 'setvar skybox 2' it should work. I apologise for this error, it doesn't seem like something I can fix though unfortunately.

This post has been edited by James: 15 October 2010 - 02:31 AM

• Ancient Blood God

I'm using http://dukeworld.duk...e32_current.zip and I cannot enter the level, log is two posts above.

User is offline   Jblade 

That's from the 5th of July, I thought the one on the site pointed to the latest synthesis version. sorry about that!

http://dukeworld.duk.../20101009-1711/

That's the one I tested which saved properly and didn't crash on a level load, but DID have the long load times. I just tested the old snapshot I included and as I said, typing 'setvar skybox 0' into the console before saving and then typing 'setvar skybox 2' afterwards means you can save properly.

• Ancient Blood God

I got the saving working now, but I'm completely baffled with this other issue:
Attached Image: eduke32_2010_10_15_13_52_00_12.png Attached Image: eduke32_2010_10_15_13_52_14_94.png
Attached Image: eduke32_2010_10_15_13_52_04_39.png Attached Image: eduke32_2010_10_15_14_02_06_07.png
A lot of sprites are just white blocks. The loading screen is filled with random red stuff which doesn't look like it belongs there. I've tried all the settings and nothing helps, setting the texture quality higher just makes more sprites appear as white blocks. A lot of the big red letters are scaled off too, like "L" in the first screen. The letter "I" is worst of all of them.

User is offline   Jblade 

The weird red tiles in the save/load menu I know about...as for the white boxes, I have no idea as none of the beta testers reported things like that. Try typing 'restartvid' in the console and see if that helps?

EDIT: Also maybe it's related to the crashing you had earlier...as in it crashing corrupted the cache files or whatever it uses nowadays. Try looking for some cache files in the IW directory and deleting them.

This post has been edited by James: 15 October 2010 - 03:12 AM

Great! Downloading right now! To bad for the issues, but still a fantastic release after all those years!

User is offline   Green 

Played through some of it, it's excellent!
Fantastic work James!

User is offline   Jblade 

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it ;)

User is offline   necroslut 

Whoa, I never thought this'd actually get released. Now I know what I'll be doing this weekend. ;)

Hmm, seems like I can't get it to work.

Here's my log file:

Attached File(s)

User is online   zykov eddy 

It's great to see this mod released. I like the 2000s version very much.
My first problem - I can't run it. It's like freezes on the setup screen.

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postinsane_metalhead, on Oct 15 2010, 03:44 PM, said:

Hmm, seems like I can't get it to work.

Here's my log file:

It says you're playing with Polymer, Dan tried to play it with that when he was beta testing and it crashed for him as well. I can't run Polymer at all so I can't support it unfortunately, but the mod is perfectly fine in Polymost in anycase.

It's great to see this mod released. I like the 2000s version very much.
My first problem - I can't run it. It's like freezes on the setup screen.

What version are you using? The one I included or a later one? It can take a while to startup depending on your hardware.

View PostJames, on Oct 15 2010, 07:29 AM, said:

What version are you using? The one I included or a later one? It can take a while to startup depending on your hardware.

I'm using included version.

Oh well, after minute the game finally loaded. But if I try to save my game, it crashes

User is offline   Jblade 

We already went over that several times in the topic...it's caused by skyboxes. It's unfortunate but there is a workaround which I posted before.

View PostJames, on Oct 15 2010, 05:29 PM, said:

It says you're playing with Polymer, Dan tried to play it with that when he was beta testing and it crashed for him as well. I can't run Polymer at all so I can't support it unfortunately, but the mod is perfectly fine in Polymost in anycase.

Oh, hadn't tried turning off Polymer. It works now! Thanks James! The mod looks awesome and gameplay is very fun!
I think I'm going to spend a night completing some episodes

I'm proud to say, I finished the first episode. The skyboxes look amazing, and the levels bring up memories. New weapons and objects look cool. I also found a lot of bugs as well, maybe I'll post the bug list later.

User is offline   Jblade 

View Postzykov eddy, on Oct 15 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

I'm proud to say, I finished the first episode. The skyboxes look amazing, and the levels bring up memories. New weapons and objects look cool. I also found a lot of bugs as well, maybe I'll post the bug list later.

Could you post the buglist on AMC in IW's forum for me? It would help me more rather than have this topic filled up with lots of bug reports (or if people would e-mail them to me, that would help as well) I can't guarentee I can fix them but if I have a huge list that I can fix it might motivate me to make a patch for it ;)

Glad you guys are enjoying it despite the issues!

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostDaedolon, on Oct 16 2010, 12:05 AM, said:

A lot of sprites are just white blocks. The loading screen is filled with random red stuff which doesn't look like it belongs there. I've tried all the settings and nothing helps, setting the texture quality higher just makes more sprites appear as white blocks. A lot of the big red letters are scaled off too, like "L" in the first screen. The letter "I" is worst of all of them.

Change your texture filtering to nearest or linear.

• Ancient Blood God

View PostThe Commander, on Oct 15 2010, 09:48 PM, said:

Change your texture filtering to nearest or linear.

That doesn't sadly do anything. But, most of the textures appear as soon as they're spawned for the game to load if I go back and forth with the texture quality slider. Some might appear to the cache only when it's full, some only when it's set to lowest. So basically after moving the slider back and forth when a new white texture pops up can solve the problem, but it's not very fast.

I seem to get the skybox crash often randomly too, I guess I should just turn them off permanently to enjoy the game.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Glad to see this finally released!

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options