Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Forever will be playable at First Look - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Forever will be playable at First Look

User is offline   Raziel 

Mr.Deviance, totally agree on all points of your post.

I also find Randy's acting to be quite funny. Every interview he says almost exactly the same thing and still manages to keep up a big smile ;). I have to be honest, I'd be tearing my hair out after 2 of those interviews. But then I'd make my interviews less scripted than my game ;).

@Honza - I actually did a similar calculation to yours, but then I thought of two possibilities:
1) They might actually ramp up the team size now that the cat's out of the bag.
2) I think he meant that he estimated it would require another 2500+ number of man months at the point he took over the project (past tense)... looking at it that way, perhaps his opinion has changed in the mean time and no longer feels it requires quite as much as he originally believed.
3) I didn't actually think of this one, but you're right, he could have just miscalculated.

User is offline   Outtagum 

Um, I'm sure he was talking about the work 3DR was doing.

Also, because he is overly happy and his story stays the same means he is acting?

I believe he is genuinely happy about all this. If not, he deserves an award.

Duke looks great. Graphics look great. It's current-gen and is absolutlty fine. Prompts and flashing items have been in a lot of games.

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 3 2010, 08:52 AM, said:

But then again, the guy that was playing the game, killed himself shooting rockets at objects that were 1 meter in front of him ;)

I think the guy playing is Steve Gibson. And I highly doubt he accidently killed hisself in that demo. They wanted to show the death animations / broken glasses I guess.

I still want to see that damn trailer though...

My bet is we'll get it after all these events...maybe November or December.

User is offline   Martin 

The guy playing sucked. Also, I rather thought Pitchford was cringe-worthy whilst on stage. Still, the game itself kicked ass.

User is offline   Gurty 

Wow, i'am few hours a sleep and the gameplay movies are online.
Well thats really a big bummer, at the press conference the telled us clearly that we cannot take any pictures or movies. But it did after all happend at the visitors presentation. ;)
Today i will post some more information, so stay tuned.

User is offline   necroslut 

Why do such levels of dumbing need to be added? Other game companies don't implement such glowing and they still sell their games to everybody.
I don't think people actually need to have both the button highlighted on the screen and the npc glowing...

I'm no fan of the "hints" either, but such things can often be turned off. I hope that's the case here.

I think the game looks really awesome. Of course it's pretty much impossible to be impartial when it's DNF, but I think I would be excited about this game even if it wasn't Duke.
Also, now we know there's in-game music, and Grabbag. Cool!

User is offline   Gurty 

Just watched the youtube video's but where is part 2? Randy is telling at the end "Switch it off" And then comes the part i saw more ;) well its bit more satisfying

@ all of you

The person that is playing is Steve Gibson vice-president marketing of Gearbox and former owner of ShackNews.

This post has been edited by Gurty: 03 October 2010 - 01:01 AM

User is offline   Night Wolf 

View PostVinsaneOne, on Oct 3 2010, 03:24 PM, said:

Are you talking about the 8bit dos version of the game? Things look alot clearer now, as before you could hardly tell what his clothes really looked like with any detail before the HRP. I wonder if they'll use some kind of progressive dirt and damage being added to him and his clothes as he goes. That would add alot of realisim to the game.

Errr the 8bit dos version didn't have models.
I'm talking about the Duke model from Duke Nukem forever before gearbox took over.

I don't mind his new look from what ive seen , but he just seems a little slimmer or something, not to mention cleaner, but yeah it's to hard to say yet.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-goLXyYDLCU

Another interview where Pitchford delivers a recitation with honest excitement. Damn, he's good at it.

How many more of these events? 3 or 4? I hope he doesn't burnout before DNF hits the shelves. ;)

User is offline   MartyMcFly 

hehe yeah, it's like hearing a comedian do the same stand up routine, it just doesn't feel as special the third time around ;)

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

View PostLotan, on Oct 3 2010, 01:54 AM, said:

But Flibble... ;)

But they keep showing the same thing over and over...yeah, we know that at the beginning of the game you pee in a toilet and get a BJ...how risque! But what about the actual game? It doesn't help that Randy is fucking annoying.

Also, I don't like seeing the xbox buttons appearing on the screen...it is sad that it bothers me but DNF was marketed as pure PC gaming for most of the last decade.

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

View PostMr.Flibble, on Oct 3 2010, 05:29 AM, said:

But they keep showing the same thing over and over...yeah, we know that at the beginning of the game you pee in a toilet and get a BJ...how risque! But what about the actual game? It doesn't help that Randy is fucking annoying.

Also, I don't like seeing the xbox buttons appearing on the screen...it is sad that it bothers me but DNF was marketed as pure PC gaming for most of the last decade.

Sad, but true, PC gaming is dead. Not dying, but dead. I'll get this title on PC as I trust George and Co. to have made it to work on the PC. But the next one I'm going to get for the X-Box, as I don't trust anyone nowadays (apart from Id and Valve) to make games for the PC.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

PC gaming isn't dead. Look at Steam. The XBox buttons probably only appear when you're using an XBox controller.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 03 October 2010 - 05:54 AM

User is offline   Gurty 

The footage that is being show at First Look where all done on the PC.
At PAX, First Look, you played only on the PC, the main reason why a Xbox controller is being used is only because those controls are all the same.

User is offline   Night Wolf 

I just hope they don't shit over the pc version with DRM, and force us to buy a console.

User is offline   Gurty 

View Postozz, on Oct 3 2010, 07:24 AM, said:

I just hope they don't shit over the pc version with DRM, and force us to buy a console.

Was DRM included with Borderlands and Brothers in Arms ?

Guest_Pikachu_*

New Duke looks kickass, I don't see what the problem is.

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View PostTea Monster, on Oct 3 2010, 10:47 AM, said:

Sad, but true, PC gaming is dead. Not dying, but dead.

Bullshit, if you looked around, PC Gaming is very much alive. There has been a shit-ton of good PC games released in the last while if you'd open your eyes a little.
And there's already a massive existing library that is still played. Don't just look at commercial games either, there are tons of good free games and fan-games.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMr.Deviance, on Oct 2 2010, 11:52 PM, said:

2. The game is mega scripted in lots of areas.

From what I have heard, this is the biggest problem I have with the game so far. When a game is heavily scripted, it takes away from the replay value and it feels like a ride at an amusement park where you have no control. Most of the original Duke 3D levels were very nonlinear. For example, you can play through Hollywood Holocaust a dozen different ways -- it always ends the same, but you can do parts of the level in a completely different order and skip parts. You aren't forced to watch cutscenes or follow a script. Of course, that's partly due to the technology being more primitive back then, but it's also a good design decision. I suspect that the sense of freedom is going to be lost in DNF, and it will be more like a ride than an adventure. I am definitely not excited about playing it right now.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

DNF isn't an arcade shooter. I never expected it to be so I'm still looking forward to it. Do you have equally as much a problem with Half-Life 2 and its episodes for this? I still enjoy replaying those games to this day. DNF will be no exception.

User is offline   Jinroh 

From the Interview on the video of Youtube. - "The President wants to make a deal with the aliens." Haha

I thought that was amusing. I didn't know that about the story. I wonder which U.S. president they will charicature (if any) it would be fun to see haha.

Considering what they said about Duke's world, shouldn't Duke BE the president. Haha.

This post has been edited by Jinroh: 03 October 2010 - 10:36 AM

I don't believe DNF is going to be a very linear shooter, it may look like it but those were only 2 levels of the game, the first level was a arcade machine at Duke's house, the second one was in the desert, you can't judge from two levels, well, i never judge when i only se or play 2 levels of a game.

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 3 2010, 10:48 AM, said:

DNF isn't an arcade shooter. I never expected it to be so I'm still looking forward to it. Do you have equally as much a problem with Half-Life 2 and its episodes for this? I still enjoy replaying those games to this day. DNF will be no exception.

I enjoyed them a lot but I don't replay them. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that DNF will be as good as HL2, though.

Hey, it's good to have low expectations, because then you don't get disappointed.

User is offline   Splat 

• Eat Shit and...

shouldn't Duke BE the president. Haha

A monarch stands above politics...

User is offline   Honza 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on Oct 3 2010, 03:53 PM, said:

PC gaming isn't dead. Look at Steam. The XBox buttons probably only appear when you're using an XBox controller.

as long as Microsoft would like to sell his windows he needs to keep PC gaming alive, when PC gaming is done Microsoft Winows are done with it.

Guest_Pikachu_*

I think they should have canceled DNF. After all, just looking at this page it's obvious no one wants it.

They should just scrap everything and make Halo: Reach PC.

;)

This post has been edited by Pikachu: 03 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

^I've already said that. There are entire pages of threads dedicated to the little things that no one likes...

I just said that I'm not feeling the game right now. They are yet to show something significant to the public that makes it particularly attractive to me. I sincerely hope that they aren't planning on riding the "OMFG ITS DUKE NUKEM!!" train for sales.

Guest_Pikachu_*

View PostMr.Flibble, on Oct 3 2010, 12:14 PM, said:

I sincerely hope that they aren't planning on riding the "OMFG ITS DUKE NUKEM!!" train for sales.

You WOULD ride Duke's train... ;)

User is offline   Gurty 

View PostPikachu, on Oct 3 2010, 01:02 PM, said:

I think they should have canceled DNF. After all, just looking at this page it's obvious no one wants it.

They should just scrap everything and make Halo: Reach PC.
;)

Well that isn't totally true, i really enjoyed the presentation and demo i have waited so long and I would love to play it again. I even tried to play it again but the guards didn't let me.
But the major question is, why dont you guys want it, heck what are you guys doing here then discussing about this game?

Guest_Pikachu_*

View PostGurty, on Oct 3 2010, 01:59 PM, said:

Well that isn't totally true, i really enjoyed the presentation and demo i have waited so long and I would love to play it again. I even tried to play it again but the guards didn't let me.
But the major question is, why dont you guys want it, heck what are you guys doing here then discussing about this game?

I don't want this game.

I NEED THIS GAME.

IN MY BODY.

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options