Duke4.net Forums: Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke4.net Forums

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Roland SC-55 Music Packs  "Updates 'n stuff"

Ah... RL the bane of the Internet... Good luck with your essays, tests and stuff... =D

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

I will say I'm going to rerecord some of my current packs. Like Duke3D and ROTT. Like an idiot I didn't save the original WAV files so I cannot make any MP3 or FLAC packs. I'll upload another OGG pack as well just to keep things consistent. It won't really have any enhancements though so there's no need to change the pack in the current HRP package.

So, how'd your RL stuff go?

• The Sarien Encounter

Just finished my 6-month course. Hopefully that frees up a little spare time. I do have other obligations that start right after this, though. I haven't forgotten about it. I just have a full plate. I don't want to avoid it much longer, however.

How're things goin? Any work on the SC55 tracks lately?

• The Sarien Encounter

Well guys, I know it's been a while but I just wanted to inform you that I've begun recording these packs again. I've been waiting until I could buy an audio interface so that when I record I could avoid any unnecessary internal machine noise inherent in internal/onboard sound card input recording. Now that that's out of the way I've already begun recording the Duke3D soundtrack again. Many of the instruments in the current 2.0 pack are still incorrect despite my efforts so this time I'm taking it slow and paying attention to every little detail possible in getting it exactly right. I lost my original WAV source files so I haven't been able to make any FLAC or MP3 packs. So once I'm done with the new 3.0 soundtrack I'll supply MP3 and FLAC packs on the SC-55 website as well. I was considering making the FLAC files 24-bit 48Khz but I figured what's the point seeing as the SC-55/CM-500 can't output a signal of that quality anyway. So 16-bit 44.1Khz all around.

After Duke I'll finish off the other MP3/FLAC packs I haven't finished yet for the other games currently on the site and then I'll branch out into id territory starting with Doom.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 12 February 2012 - 09:08 PM

Awesome =D

It's great to see you back, and I can't wait to hear your work again

• The Sarien Encounter

Added the FLAC pack at last for Descent I! It's a big one though. The ZIP is 480 MB.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 13 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

Sweet, that's the one I've been waiting for =D

well... that and the Doom tracks =P

• The Sarien Encounter

Duke Nukem 3D SC-55 soundtrack V 3.0 has been released in OGG, MP3, and FLAC. This new version fixes a multitude of recording problems (incorrect instruments, incorrect effect settings) that were inherent in the earlier versions. The experience is faithful to the original game now.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Great, thanks!

Now is a time when I regret having 3.0 Mbps DSL. :lol:

User is offline   RoyBatty 

These packs are sweet, I must thank Hendricks for pointing me out to them. I am in Doom/Rott/Duke/Blood heaven =]

I eagerly await the TNT pack.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Incredible, lots of files are poppin' up these days! xD

Anyway, amazing news! The change in quality is noticable, especially in tracks like "Robocrep" (choir part starting at 1:12 which wasn't there before). I have updated our HRP music pack on the fly and put the new version up on our website. It's basically your whole 3.0 release plus three voc music replacements ("bonus", "barmusic", "2bwild") from previous packs ("gabbag" was replaced by your "grabbac_voc"). Included readme file is now also up-to-date.

Thanks for your work on this invaluable project, and thanks a lot for making it even better than it already was before!

This post has been edited by NightFright: 16 February 2012 - 06:05 AM

• The Sarien Encounter

Glad to help. More packs coming as they get done!

Although, for Doom TNT there aren't any unique music files in the WAD file. Are we sure that game had original music separate from the original game?

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

I've been longing for this pack!
I have made a Duke Nukem 3D MP3 soundtrack album from it by sorting/renaming and tagging the stuff.
Playlist:
Spoiler
Tags:
Spoiler
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic - MP3 Soundtrack Part1.zip [157MiB]
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic - MP3 Soundtrack Part2.zip [155MiB]
EDIT: The download is bigger than the original MP3 pack because I encoded the FLACs with my usual -V 0 LAME settings (~250kbps).

This post has been edited by LeoD: 17 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Possibly I was thinking of Plutonia then, I am sure one of them had new zax in it.

Thx for the updated duke packs, gonna dl them now =]

• The Sarien Encounter

Nice one, LeoD. :lol:

Plutonia does have unique files so you'll have that.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 16 February 2012 - 04:21 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostRoyBatty, on 16 February 2012 - 02:36 AM, said:

I eagerly await the TNT pack.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 February 2012 - 08:41 AM, said:

Although, for Doom TNT there aren't any unique music files in the WAD file. Are we sure that game had original music separate from the original game?

View PostRoyBatty, on 16 February 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Possibly I was thinking of Plutonia then, I am sure one of them had new zax in it.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 16 February 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

Plutonia does have unique files so you'll have that.

Both halves of Final Doom contain music files. TNT Evilution has a new soundtrack composed for it. Plutonia just reused tracks from Doom 1 and 2.

All the mus files from all the Doom engine games are available here: DOOM_engine_OSVs.7z

• The Truth is in here

Why not do SC-55 renderings of the full Doom 1/2 soundtrack anyway? :lol: OK, there are many variations of the music for Doom out there, and I think Michael Massay even made a Roland version on his own. Yet, I am sure you could do better than him, and probably in more than just lame mp2 format. What you delivered here is EXCELLENT work, and I'd like to have this kind of quality in the other shooter classic most of us like so much as well. :P

• The Sarien Encounter

@Hendricks, thanks. There were no MUS files present in my WAD for TNT. Strange. Program must have been glitchy. Many thanks for the MUS files.

@NightFright, thank you, man. That's my goal. I plan to eventually, if the plan prove realistic, present SC-55 packs for as many games that support it as possible. Starting with FPS games. Someone asked about Raptor at one point which I'll also put online as time goes on.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 17 February 2012 - 08:17 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 17 February 2012 - 08:17 PM, said:

Someone asked about Raptor at one point which I'll also put online as time goes on.

That was me. :lol: Raptor_OSV.7z

I emailed the author of Risen 3D about replacing the title/intermission/end/etc music in the dooms in addition to the already replaceable level music, and it will be in the next version. So it will be awesome to use the music in them fully.

Ah so it was TNT, I was thinking I was not wrong... hehe

now off to play some duke!

• The Truth is in here

BTW, something I noticed with the new Duke soundtrack:
I used to play with music at 50% volume. Now with v3.0, I had to turn it up to max level to get roughly the same volume as before, so you seem to have reduced volume in the new release. That's not necessarily bad, I am just mentioning it in case other people wonder about their volume, too. :lol:

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

• The Sarien Encounter

Yeah, I didn't bother normalizing the resulting recordings afterwards just to keep it at the same level as what one would hear. It peaks at a relatively normal level where analogue is concerned. Unfortunately, in the realm of digital sound and digital music everything is very close to the ceiling of dynamic range nowadays. If anyone sees it as an issue I'll either update it with a louder level or create two packs (much like the old Doom music pack I've seen before with an "untouched" version and a "hot" version with the loudness increased and compressed to not distort).

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Clipping blows. I say keep it as it came out.

• The Truth is in here

Yeah, I agree. Just increase ingame music volume to max, should be fine then. Doesn't make sense to have your music louder than sound effects, anyway.

User is offline   mfender 

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 February 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yeah, I didn't bother normalizing the resulting recordings afterwards just to keep it at the same level as what one would hear. It peaks at a relatively normal level where analogue is concerned. Unfortunately, in the realm of digital sound and digital music everything is very close to the ceiling of dynamic range nowadays. If anyone sees it as an issue I'll either update it with a louder level or create two packs (much like the old Doom music pack I've seen before with an "untouched" version and a "hot" version with the loudness increased and compressed to not distort).

Yes, I noticed the extremely low volume level as well. I have my system volume up all the way, my Logitech speaker control up all of the way, and the volume is extremely low, so I reverted back to my much older pack: EDUKE32 MUSIC MOD |
| |
| A music modification for EDuke32 |
| |
| by MusicallyInspired |
| (compilation by NightFright) |
===================================================
| v2.0 (Mar 05, 2009) |
===================================================

With its higher volume, it sounds much better on my system. the bass is much richer and the new one sounds like it is extremely biased toward the high frequencies. This may be only because the volume on my system is so low. Please don't get me wrong, you have done a fabulous job on these music packs so I do look forward to a louder version.

Thanks again for all of your hard work, Regards

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

You could try VorbisGain (command line tool) to adapt the volume for yourself. A few db seem to be possible without clipping.
MI: I agree on keeping your packs the way they are. At least the FLACs.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 18 February 2012 - 01:07 PM, said:

I'd say don't touch it.

When I was ReplayGain tagging my FLACs the album peak ended up being 0.651489258. Honestly, EDuke32 needs a little bit beefier audio support. I have not looked at the audio code at all but at the very least I would like to add ReplayGain volume adjustments (read out of the metadata, no editing of the audio stream), loop points either in DEF or again in the metadata, and FLAC support to properly replicate CD audio functionality. It's not worth tarnishing the sound quality just so you have to crank up the volume less.

• The Sarien Encounter

If enough people request it I'll make another OGG pack only with volume increased specifically for EDuke32. I won't bother doing MP3/FLAC packs for it. I do, however, recommend everyone use V3.0 of the soundtrack regardless because there are many things wrong with V2.0 from the instruments, as has been said before, right down to the recording quality (lots of background noise from when I recorded from an internal sound card, picking up machine noise).

You could also just turn down the sound effects as well and turn your speakers or your volume control level up.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 February 2012 - 09:09 AM

Share this topic:

• 13 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options