Duke4.net Forums: Duke3d original level Lighting - Duke4.net Forums

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke3d original level Lighting  "let there be the light!"

User is offline   Devastator 

hm, somehow they do not seem so unnatural to me =)
but nevertheless, did you mean this?

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0017.jpg

User is offline   Night Wolf 

Its just that a standard light globe isn't yellow (except in cartoons)
a standard non fluorescent light globe pretty much a warm white colour

more on the lines of this..
Posted Image

Posted Image
:(

Though i rarely see this color in real life, it looks better, i've updated maphack with it. Thanks for advice =)

just tested it out , looks great now, good stuff

User is offline   Rellik 

Generally speaking, basic "white" light should never be too saturated unless it is obviously colorized (ie the strip club)

The key is to be subtle, either make it slightly warm, neutral or slightly cool depending on the environment.

Consider the light source type: Traditional incandescent light falls into the warm category. Good quality fluorescent lighting tends to be neutral; whereas lousy fluorescent becomes cool, perhaps even a bit greenish, (the sciencey explanation is that the mercury in fluorescent lights has blue and green spikes in the emitted color spectrum, and is only controlled by the phosphors used.)

Environment plays a lot into the light type used, I imagine a subway would have lousy fluorescent lighting. whereas a good bank would have good fluorescent light. What would a space station use?

This page has some interesting info on the science aspect of color temperature and light.

Huh, at last i found powers within me to make lighting for e1l3. Go grab it from svn!

Looks pretty good , but why isn't the church lighted red

User is offline   Rellik 

Last I checked, the church is lit normally until you trigger the switch on the face of the podium.

View PostRellik, on Jun 20 2010, 05:49 AM, said:

Last I checked, the church is lit normally until you trigger the switch on the face of the podium.

Thats true yes, my bad... hmmm is it possible to light up the church red when the face is switched?
its weird since playing the game in 8bit mode the red is much stronger but when played on 32 bit mode the red is almost orange and transparent:S

This post has been edited by ozz: 19 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

User is offline   Rellik 

Yeah, it is odd...

Anyway, right now any lights that are dynamically switched in-game aren't possible without some con coding of sorts.

Some time in the future it should be possible to connect polymer lights to sector effectors to change the lights in a room.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

I think the sector effector based lights already support this feature... it should be possible to place them in sectors with activators and turn them on and off.

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

View PostDevastator, on Jun 19 2010, 02:01 PM, said:

Huh, at last i found powers within me to make lighting for e1l3. Go grab it from svn!

the lights look nice. is it just me, or did you rely on simple point lights? (much like what Roma Loom did on most of Episode 2)
also, the outside area (the one with the turrets) could use a few spotlights.

User is offline   Jokke_r 

Has some sort of directional lighting been implemented? Would be essential for outside daylight areas

User is offline   Rellik 

View PostTX, on Jun 19 2010, 07:49 PM, said:

I think the sector effector based lights already support this feature... it should be possible to place them in sectors with activators and turn them on and off.

That's cool, is it documented anywhere? And can it be done via maphacks for the original levels?

The church room in the prison may be a special case that may be a challenge: Instead of turning the light on and off, the entire room palette changes to red from normal, how would that be handled?

User is offline   Master Fibbles 

• I have the power!

There are other places where the SE that governs the light is a different palette than the room (which changes the room when the light is turned on).

I think I know a way it could be done in future - given that such a thing would be implemented, I think having two Polymer lights and alternating between the two - basically when the lights are off use the white one and when you switch it on (room goes red) the white SE49 turns off and a red one switches on could work.

But obviously there is nothing implemented yet for any such features, but it's a thought and I'm rather bored so I figured I'd share it as it is relevant.

Yep, i stick to point lights because they are fast, and as long as shadows are made with srectors it's allright. furthermore, large lights are very consuming, and adding spot to outside will cost a lot.

There is away to trigger lights. Point light turns off if sector ceiling and floor are on the same height. but it is impossible to make such thing in maphack.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I don't think that ceiling floor thing is an intentional implementation is it? I was under the impression that when a sector can't be seen, nothing inside the sector including sprites would be rendered, and that using it to switch off lights is simply a beneficial side affect of this?

Perhaps I'm just a bit annoyed because I found it out by myself a while back and thought I made an awesome discovery :)
I've been using it in doors in my upcoming space station themed map.

View PostMicky C, on Jun 23 2010, 10:44 AM, said:

Perhaps I'm just a bit annoyed because I found it out by myself a while back and thought I made an awesome discovery :)

Yea, such shit happens very often =)
I've also seen some weird stuff when light do not passes through some of the sectors blocking it's way and acting like a spot light.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

I just tried out the E1L3 maphack and it's brilliant stuff, one minor thing though should there be a white-ish light here or did you intentionally leave that out because half the light disappears when the napalm is shot?

Posted Image

oh.. how come.. i really missed these tow places, thanks.
Also, i just couldn't help and placed soft red lights in church, it looks so so awesome.

Go and grab e1l4!

User is offline   Spiker 

View PostDevastator, on Jul 2 2010, 06:52 PM, said:

Go and grab e1l4!

How many left is to be done? :)

View PostDevastator, on Jul 3 2010, 03:52 AM, said:

Go and grab e1l4!

"Groovy!"
Looks nice
The sewer parts towards the end look great with green lights

User is offline   DuduKrazy 

View PostSpiker, on Jul 2 2010, 03:22 PM, said:

How many left is to be done? :)

just two levels. (or three if you count Faces Of Death)

• I have the power!

Once the levels are done, I expect a compiled version...just saying. :)

what do you mean under "copmiled version"?
Also i think we have to kick RomaLoom's lazy ass to make 2nd episode super-awesome with light bounces and atmospheric make-up. And there's 3rd episode to be done.

• I have the power!

I don't want to download individual maphack files. :) I expect there to be a zip file.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostMr.Flibble, on Jul 7 2010, 07:12 AM, said:

I don't want to download individual maphack files. :) I expect there to be a zip file.

http://forums.duke4....?showtopic=2251

Get with the times and stop complaining.
(If five year olds can do this for the games like Garry's Mod and other games then there is no excuse)

This post has been edited by The Commander: 06 July 2010 - 11:18 AM

• I have the power!

Why would I want to install that?

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options