• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Eternity  "Final Release 15.5.2011"

User is offline   Mblackwell 

• Evil Overlord

View PostGambini, on Mar 3 2010, 04:18 PM, said:

waiting for the texture precaching will give you a better fps rate.

View PostDeeperThought, on Mar 3 2010, 03:09 PM, said:

it froze.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The second level is much worse fps wise.

User is online   Gambini 

QUOTE (Gambini @ Mar 3 2010, 04:18 PM)
waiting for the texture precaching will give you a better fps rate.

QUOTE (DeeperThought @ Mar 3 2010, 03:09 PM)
it froze.

I read that. but he can try again.

I'm itching to try this out. I dunno if I dare load my computer like this right now, the PSU that feeds my graphics card has been making weird noises lately (Since sonic ASR overheated the GPU). This is part of the reason I haven't been around much lately.

Still, Just thought I'd post so that you know I want to play this and am not being ignorant of it. I guess I could always download it and try to locate some of the bugs that have been mentioned without playing it yet... or I could just try to play it anyway.

From what I have already seen it looks awesome <_< , I'm wondering if there's any SoS tricks in it, seeing is you were one of the only guys I remember getting that to work.

User is offline   Stabs 

i disable any caching stuff, dosnt seem to make much different either way, cept loading times

yer there is a ton of SoS stuff in the 2nd level, probably why its a bit more intensive than the 1st map

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Posted Image

Here we see how awesome a fairly simple bathroom can look with the HRP and the addition of a well-placed spotlight. My fps was fairly decent in this location, but dropped to unplayable levels in the next room, where there were lots of green lights and slimy stuff.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

That picture isn't loading for me, I just tried going to imageshack and the main page works so I dunno whats going on there.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I had saved my game at the beginning of level 2 with a quick save. A few hours later I load my saved game, and I'm back in level 1, about 3/4 of the way through, as if my quick save didn't take. Maybe I imagined pressing F6 and seeing the words "GAME SAVED" on the screen? Just mentioning it in case anyone else has the same experience.

But anyway, when I loaded my game, some of the floors looked like the sky, as we see here:

Posted Image

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 03 March 2010 - 05:42 PM

User is online   Gambini 

I had to disable shadows just after blowing up that crack in the bathroom, you can improve your fps even more doing that. 2nd level, as Mikko said is even more demandant.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostGambini, on Mar 3 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

I had to disable shadows just after blowing up that crack in the bathroom, you can improve your fps even more doing that. 2nd level, as Mikko said is even more demandant.

I know, but I would rather wait until I have more computer power and/or there are some optimizations, because the shadows are a big part of the experience.

I had a similar flaw to deeperthought, but I didn't save, it just happened when I went near that "alley cat lounge" place in level 2. Everything but a bit of semi-circle shaped floor turned to sky, but pig-cops were still shooting me, but when I shot at where I thought they were my rockets exploded where the sky started. I just asume it was my crippled graphics card, I know the texturing issues I had were random so I just assumed it was my machine. It's probably more a problem with polymer.

I noticed some time ago in the original TTA2 that there was a patch like this near the door in the projector room.

User is offline   Stabs 

I think that is related to having the level reload because of dying or loading another level, if you keep your game quick saved and reload it dosnt seem to loose stuff

As for performance, seeing as the game has no benefit to having more cores all I think 3ghz and an 8800 / 9800 / gts250 / whatever-nvidia-rebrands-it-as-next would be a good recommended video card for polymer, those things are quite cheap these days and have really good performance, as for an ati alternative i would look at a 4850

as for spotlights, the only time i use them is in small confined areas, streets have enough trouble with a few point lights, so throwing spotlights into that mix would not be the best idea

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostDanM, on Mar 3 2010, 09:39 PM, said:

I think that is related to having the level reload because of dying or loading another level, if you keep your game quick saved and reload it dosnt seem to loose stuff

As for performance, seeing as the game has no benefit to having more cores all I think 3ghz and an 8800 / 9800 / gts250 / whatever-nvidia-rebrands-it-as-next would be a good recommended video card for polymer, those things are quite cheap these days and have really good performance, as for an ati alternative i would look at a 4850

as for spotlights, the only time i use them is in small confined areas, streets have enough trouble with a few point lights, so throwing spotlights into that mix would not be the best idea

Will just a better video card like the ones you mentioned do the trick if I put it into my machine? I have little to no lagging issues on this Gateway, P4, 1.7 ghz w/512mb ram. Just my old ATI Radeon 9250 256mb ddr video card looks great on my ViewSonic, Graphics Pro 21in monitor, but has no shading support for Polymer. I know some of you might say get a whole new rig you cheep bastard, but i kinda like this old dependable fossel. Would hope to get away with just installing a new vid card. Hmm?

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 March 2010 - 09:32 PM

You would need to get a better cpu than a 1.7 ghz...

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 4 2010, 12:33 AM, said:

You would need to get a better cpu than a 1.7 ghz...

I have 2 other spair P4's that I could put in, a 2.53 and a 2.66ghz and they both work. Even have thermal paste!

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

I am running a 2.66 with an AGP, ATI HD 3650.
Polymer works fine, but not so great with this mod I have to turn everything right down and even then it's still unplayable in some parts. <_<

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 4 2010, 12:58 AM, said:

I am running a 2.66 with an AGP, ATI HD 3650.
Polymer works fine, but not so great with this mod I have to turn everything right down and even then it's still unplayable in some parts. <_<

Yea, I promissed myself a new pc when DNF came out...geeez! I hadn't done the same for DNE or Polymer. Guess I might have a change in plans!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The build of eduke32.exe currently being distributed with DNE has a serious bug: the digitalnumber CON command is broken and will display only one digit of a number. This will screw up any HUD displays that show numbers using CON code. I suppose it's fairly harmless in DNE, but I hope I don't hear from people using that build with other mods and complaining about how my HUD displays are buggy.

Is that both digitalnumber and digitalnumberz?
I am using digitalnumberz and I have not encountered this bug yet.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 4 2010, 12:18 AM, said:

Is that both digitalnumber and digitalnumberz?
I am using digitalnumberz and I have not encountered this bug yet.

It's both and it's real. To see a good example, try running WGR2 with that build. Cheat to give yourself everything and look at the HUD. It will say you have 0 health (only showing the last digit of 100) and all the ammo amounts will be single digits as well. The same is true in every mod I have tested that uses digitalnumber or its variants.

Oh I see now, I was still using the revision from the first DNE install.
Well, this one is using R1604 and it seems that the numbers are not getting the spacing correct and that the next number will only be shifted by 1 pixel from the last one.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 4 2010, 01:19 AM, said:

Oh I see now, I was still using the revision from the first DNE install.
Well, this one is using R1604 and it seems that the numbers are not getting the spacing correct and that the next number will only be shifted by 1 pixel from the last one.

Yes in some cases the digits overlap like that but in other cases it only shows one digit. I should have mentioned that before.

User is offline   Mia Max 

View PostDanM, on Mar 4 2010, 03:39 AM, said:

What is your computer and does your mod run fine on it?
I have a quad-core @3ghz and a gtx260 but the second episode is unplayable in some areas.

Is it possible that eduke32 itself does limit the performence?

I just realised that I didn't say anything about my thoughts on the mod in my post, allow me to apologise for that.

Well, I like it, it looks good and it plays good. I liked the second level, it sort of reminded me of Painkiller b.o.o.h for some reason. This demonstrates Polymer nicely with the good use of dynamic lighting. All in all it's pretty awesome.

@mia max
I'm surprised, it rarely went below 10fps for me (which you may think is unplayable for all I know) and my machine is nowhere near as powerful as yours.

User is offline   Mia Max 

@High Treason:
In the beginning of episode 2, right after the first cutscene with the crash I have constantly 10-13 fps. Well, it is playable, but it gets very difficult.
What is your framerate in that area?

User is offline   supergoofy 

I think that the maps need some maphacks. e.g. there are glitches with the posters on the walls.

And also I have problems playing it. In some areas the framerate is very low.

There are errors in duke3d_hrp.def (inside edefs.zip)

Also Polymer HRP SVN Revision 64 has errors in textures.def

This post has been edited by supergoofy: 04 March 2010 - 11:24 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View Postsupergoofy, on Mar 4 2010, 11:17 AM, said:

I think that the maps need some maphacks. e.g. there are glitches with the posters on the walls.

I saw that, but I didn't know whether it was a Polymer rendering glitch, or whether the posters needed to be moved away from the walls a bit. In neither case would it make sense to use maphacks, though. The whole point of maphacks is to modify maps that can't be distributed and which were made before the HRP.

User is offline   Stabs 

i think all those odd textures and clipping occured when used alt to shift the entire map when i was finalising it, so ALT dragging mite need to be looked into, if it gets fixed i may only need to shift the entire map again for it fix itself

As for settings, i just run 1024x768 windowed, no af, high res tex at half, bilinear, usualy keeps a good 30fps and it still looks good

User is offline   ReaperMan 

I just got to play this, its awesome, too bad i can't play the second level because it crashes in the load screen before all the textures can load. <_<

Anyway nice job, but i hope someone can fix some of the texture glitches.

This post has been edited by ReaperMan: 04 March 2010 - 07:11 PM

View PostReaperMan, on Mar 5 2010, 04:10 PM, said:

too bad i can't play the second level because it crashes in the load screen before all the textures can load. <_<

Just press the space bar to skip the loading.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options