Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem Eternity - Duke4.net Forums

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem Eternity  "Final Release 15.5.2011"

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Downloading the latest HRP solved the problem I was having with graphics but the game then crashed when starting a map/episode. The update fixed this.

But anyways, the door behind the screen still won't open.

I made it to the second level. The first level was playable but in the second level the first and second (before and after the burning apartment) big street areas cause so much mouse lag that it's unplayable. Also, the game crashed when the scripted sequence (the one where another Dukebot makes an appearance) kicked in. This is when I stopped playing but I'll give it a try later.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

In the second level, the red lock door is open when you get back from getting the red key so if you "unlock" the door after the scripted sequence, the door gets locked permanently. As you don't have to use the red key, you don't need to get the another red key at the night club.

Anyways, I'll try to have a review up at some point tonight.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 02 March 2010 - 11:31 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

K here is another update, those doors should not work so randomly anymore, i gave the SE's a hitag so now they should work how they are supposed too not how they want too.

I think them having an SE hitag of 0 was causing them to jam or just open when another door (slide/swing) with a SE hitag of 0 was opened.

User is offline   Spiker 

Ok, after I typed in the commands The Commander suggested I was actually able to play it!

I have to say that's it's certainly one of the best Duke Nukem releases ever! The gameplay is absolutely superb with very detailed and realistic levels. The music is great and fits the mood perfectly. The new models and textures also fit well, I love pigcops in suits hehe :P The cutcenes are well worked out, interesting and sometimes funny when they should be. How did you make all these sequences? Especially when something is shot or killed? <_<

However, this release has one big flaw. It's so good that it can be demotivating for other mappers because they will try to reach the same quality and it would make mapping even longer than it is now <_< I don't know if DNF could match with this kind of gameplay, seriously I doubt it.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

People who have the mouse problem, try compiling r1603 (I just committed it). I would be very, very surprised if issues with mouse input being lost crop up again.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostTX, on Mar 3 2010, 01:45 AM, said:

People who have the mouse problem, try compiling r1603 (I just committed it). I would be very, very surprised if issues with mouse input being lost crop up again.

Note that this mouse lag (brought on by low fps) has nothing to do with the mouse bug I reported earlier.

User is offline   Gambini 

Downloading... Too bad you did a sloppy release. Packing the whole thing ,including DP, into one zip/rar file (users don´t use to like exe´s) would have saved a couple of headaches.

I´m still eager to play it and will do whatever is at my reach to make it work but i would advice you to upload a new file (no exe) in which you include the working folder so the player only needs to add the duke3d.grp and the autoload subfolder.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

User is offline   necroslut 

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 2 2010, 03:44 PM, said:

Pretty much by the looks of it.

What?

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

View PostGambini, on Mar 3 2010, 02:04 AM, said:

Downloading... Too bad you did a sloppy release. Packing the whole thing ,including DP, into one zip/rar file (users don´t use to like exe´s) would have saved a couple of headaches.

You're raping the word "sloppy". A neat installation file is the antithesis of sloppiness.

User is offline   gt1750 

Nice release, but apart from the known eduke issues (crashing, mouselag), I have these problems:

- I don't know how to get to the projection room after I acquired the yellow key - noclipping seems to be the only solution
- when starting the second map, I just see black screen, my health goes to 0 and the whole game lags

I'm using the patch 101 and DT's latest DukePlus code.

Just updated the mod using the 101 patch and game just starts with the original nuke logo and music lagging. something doesnt work here... <_<

and yes im launching eternity.bat

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 March 2010 - 03:47 PM

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostGambini, on Mar 3 2010, 12:47 PM, said:

Just updated the mod using the 101 patch and game just starts with the original nuke logo and music lagging. something doesnt work here... <_<

and yes im launching eternity.bat

You installed it correctly? <_<
For example, extracted the main DNE install file to:

C:\Duke Nukem Eternity\
and not
C:\Duke Nukem Eternity\DukePlus\

Also making sure to tick the "include autoload folder" on that start window.

EDIT: Actually, log file please that would make it easier. :P

This post has been edited by The Commander: 02 March 2010 - 04:04 PM

Managed to make it run. it played quite smooth 25/30 fps in 1920x1080. But after entering the cinema lobby the bot started to look strangely, very. He started to dissapear leaving just the jetpack and rpg parts of the model visible, and in the floor a corrupted print of his skin. That may be something related to polymer more than the mod... After blowing up the hole in the cinema´s bathroom everything turned unplayable the lag freezed the mouse and i could not play anymore for much i did wait.

So far it looks great, too bad i just could play the first map, which i´ve already played sometime ago.

Will browse this thread looking for that magical command somebody said that can make it still playable.

edit: Yeah commander i did that, the mod works nonetheless. but first time i started it (before patching) it worked different.

edit2: also tryed to take shots of the corrupted bot model, but dunno why they all look pitch black.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

Try the latest EDuke32 version r1604 - should fix the mouse freezing.

http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthes...100302-1604.zip

Also delete your texture cache, it sounds like the new skin of the EDF trooper got retarded on loading.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

Reviewed: http://msdn.duke4.net

View PostMikko_Sandt, on Mar 3 2010, 01:38 PM, said:

Why does your site have pop ups and stuff for? <_<

I know they were there before you moved to duke4.net and I thought that they might have been part of the hosting, but now?

EDIT: I like your review anyhow in the fact you haven't given it a rating due to the fact that you were not able to play it correctly and how you would have liked. I think that is a good call.
( It's not a negative review for those that have not read it yet. )

This post has been edited by The Commander: 02 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Nice review.

¨r_pr_shadowdetails 1¨ isn´t recognized by the console, i had to disable shadows using the other command, but that boosted up the fps to the clouds.

Still would like to know why the first command didnt work.

the game crashes when entering the 2nd level. I´m using that 1604 snapshot.

Sorry, it was "r_pr_shadowdetail" Get rid of the "s" on the end. My bad

If you look in "eduke32_binds.cfg" ("dp_binds.cfg" if your using DukePlus in the DukePlus folder) you can see all of the commands that can be edited.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 02 March 2010 - 05:48 PM

PR : Cannot initialize wall 1794 : Bmalloc failed.

gonna delete the texcache files again to see if it helps

EDIT: and once i could start the second level, im squished WTF

EDIT2: the player position isn´t inside a sector.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 02 March 2010 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Stabs 

that patch i made needs its start pos changed, dunno how that happened

Well thanks for pointing out the flaws in this one, once i get home from work ill fix it all up and re-pack in zip & exe

So feel free to mention anything that could use a fixing in the meantime

i will include latest dp cons & 1603 with it too

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 March 2010 - 06:28 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

This mod seems really cool and all, pity I cant play it though because I dont have the proper OpenGl software on my computer

View PostDanM, on Mar 3 2010, 03:26 PM, said:

So feel free to mention anything that could use a fixing in the meantime

How about including a quad core with it? <_<

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

View PostThe Commander, on Mar 3 2010, 12:39 AM, said:

How about including a quad core with it? <_<

Ha,Yea! At first I thought i'd not get it running on my old clunker and settle for the mention in the credits. Thanks DanM! That alone is just too awesome but on top of that DNE can be played without Polymer! Yea, ok, you don't get what DanM put into it using all the cool features of Polymer, but it does run fine without it. I think everyone should not get discouraged if there machine isn't 'Polymer ready' and they can still have a blast playing DNE. I had the Polymer check box ticked because everyone says DNE can only work with Polymer enabled. Eduke knows I don't have the ability to run Polymer, so it's disabled before the game starts. When I get new gear, i'll enjoy DNE in all it's glory. So don't turn away from the download, (for all that won't bother if their rig can't run Polymer) because it runs fine without it.

Posted Image
It helps if you use the color correction from the options menu to your desired settings.

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 March 2010 - 12:13 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

Here we go again <_<

K i fixed that door, killing the battlelord activates a shooter which kills a chain which opens the door, it seemed to have worked 5/5 times ive tested it now

Red key door should not open at random now

cleaned up the def, removed all the unused stuff and dukebike defs.

Sooooo with any luck this should be the magic fix

one thing i could not figure out is why it crashes between changing levels

the fix is to save your game before exiting the level, exit game, reload & exit level, not sure why, but i think its an eduke thing.

Here is a patch for the moment, iam currently uploading a zip and repacked exe version

contains latest dp cons aswell

Oh thanks Vinsane, glad you enjoyed it <_< more voice work from you in the future indeed
also thanks very much for the review too mikko, very nice screenies and kind words, big plus for not rating yet :P

This post has been edited by DanM: 02 March 2010 - 11:53 PM

User is offline   VinsaneOne 

I didn't get a crash when it changed levels, I got crushed! But seeing I had no other problems, I'm just gonna replace the second map from within the above patch.

This post has been edited by VinsaneOne: 03 March 2010 - 12:42 AM

User is offline   Stabs 

well its all been repacked and reuploaded to moddb, so ill have to wait for them to autho that

BUT

there is temp links too the exe and zip versions and the patch aswell for everyone else in the #1 post

User is offline   Spiker 

While playing this I've noticed that the console is being spammed by some generic messages. It's not a big deal but I think that it's not supposed to be like that.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

That might be a harmless addlogvar that I accidentally left in the DP code after the last debugging. I'll upload my newest code again.

This post has been edited by DeeperThought: 03 March 2010 - 07:33 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Whew! I just played all the way through the first level, using the newly repacked exe. I did have one crash, when I allowed the content to pre-cache. At some point the progress bar turned into a weird graphic and then it froze. When I tried again, I pressed space to skip the pre-caching and it worked fine. As for the episode: From what I've seen, it's fantastic. I played at 800 x 600 resolution and I turned down shadow detail to 1, but otherwise I got the full experience with Polymer and the Polymer HRP, etc. There are some graphical glitches and shortcomings here and there, some due to Polymer being unfinished, some due to Duke Plus and some due to the HRP, but overall it is visually brilliant. The gameplay is great too, but I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the framerate was at a consistently playable level. At times I had to stare at the ground just to get through an area because the mouse would lock up at fps < 11 (I thought that lockup was supposed to be fixed with the included eduke32.exe?)

I had a much tougher time reaching the secret areas on the roof than in previous versions of this map. The only way I was able to do it was by carrying out a trash can from the movie theater, putting it on top of a car, and then jumping from that to the roof. Is that intentional, or is there some other way to get up there?

There's a lot more I could comment on, but I don't have time ATM. I think I'm going to wait a while before trying the next level. I really want better fps...

waiting for the texture precaching will give you a better fps rate.

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options