Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: War of Attrition - Duke4.net Forums

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

Dan, will the new release include the two other perks you mentioned (auto-medkit and detect secrets) as well as the new monster?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostShadow Reborn, on 01 October 2016 - 04:02 PM, said:

Dan, will the new release include the two other perks you mentioned (auto-medkit and detect secrets) as well as the new monster?

Since you guys have been asking about it, I'm going to provide a link to the 2.0 beta for you to test. Here are the important changes since the last update:

2.0b1 10-2-16
• New perk: Detect Secrets
• New menu icons by “The Kins”
• New monster from Duke Nukem Advance (ripped by jet_nick) with 5 variations
• Includes classic 3d skyboxes by Fox
• Minor bug fixes
• Some different levels for Random Missions mode

I did NOT include the auto-medkit perk, because after thinking about it, I decided I don't want it. What it would do is essentially make the medkit an extension of the player's health -- if I'm going to do that, I might as well just change medkits into atomic health. I might add a medkit perk some day, but it will be something more interesting.

Here is the link fo the new version on dropbox: https://www.dropbox....n200b1.rar?dl=0

I gotta say, I'm very pleased with how this 2.0 update is turning out. The combination of the new icons by The Kins, with Fox's skyboxes, the new enemy and the new perk is pretty awesome.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 01 October 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

Since you guys have been asking about it, I'm going to provide a link to the 2.0 beta for you to test. Here are the important changes since the last update:

2.0b1 10-2-16
• New perk: Detect Secrets
• New menu icons by “The Kins”
• New monster from Duke Nukem Advance (ripped by jet_nick) with 5 variations
• Includes classic 3d skyboxes by Fox
• Minor bug fixes
• Some different levels for Random Missions mode

I did NOT include the auto-medkit perk, because after thinking about it, I decided I don't want it. What it would do is essentially make the medkit an extension of the player's health -- if I'm going to do that, I might as well just change medkits into atomic health. I might add a medkit perk some day, but it will be something more interesting.

Here is the link fo the new version on dropbox: https://www.dropbox....n200b1.rar?dl=0

I gotta say, I'm very pleased with how this 2.0 update is turning out. The combination of the new icons by The Kins, with Fox's skyboxes, the new enemy and the new perk is pretty awesome.

Oh hell yeah! Gonna try it out as soon as I can!
No matter, the Medkit perk was only marginally useful. I was personally more into the secrets one!
The new icons are awesome so they make a perfect addition!
Oh yeah! New monster is done! I hope there are no problems regarding it.;)
Also, nice one for integrating the 3d skyboxes.
Thanks for this, Dan! It is indeed an awesome release!

Did three playthroughs on Damn I'm Good with previous build, had lots of fun, really good job, Dan! It was just as great as it was a few years ago when I first played it. However, I don't understand if there's an efficient way to get rid of freaking killer bots. Sometimes I encounter them almost immediately at the start of the level and get f'cked.
Also, I see you've included Death Drive levels in your mod. That's pretty cool, but you should remove T1M6, which is unfinished secret level.
I've also encountered some bugs, but all of them were mentioned in this thread already. Love this mod, keep it up!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMister Sinister, on 02 October 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

Did three playthroughs on Damn I'm Good with previous build, had lots of fun, really good job, Dan! It was just as great as it was a few years ago when I first played it. However, I don't understand if there's an efficient way to get rid of freaking killer bots. Sometimes I encounter them almost immediately at the start of the level and get f'cked.
Also, I see you've included Death Drive levels in your mod. That's pretty cool, but you should remove T1M6, which is unfinished secret level.
I've also encountered some bugs, but all of them were mentioned in this thread already. Love this mod, keep it up!

Thank you for playing!

I can assure you that your T1M6 is NOT actually a defined level and will never come up when playing the mod. The file is there in the maps folder simply because it was distributed with Death Drive, but I knew it was unfinished and did not make it one of the levels.

As for the bots... you did mentioned you were playing on a previous build, and I may have addressed this already. What happens is that the higher the difficulty, the more quickly you see difficult enemies appearing. However in some cases, like the evil Dukes appearing in the very first map, it can be nearly impossible to deal with. I am usually a pussy and play on Come Get Some so I don't notice this. It's pretty hard to deal with them right at the start when you don't have some way of stun locking them.

View PostMister Sinister, on 02 October 2016 - 07:37 AM, said:

However, I don't understand if there's an efficient way to get rid of freaking killer bots. Sometimes I encounter them almost immediately at the start of the level and get f'cked.

You have to use cheap tactics: run around the corner and wait until the Evil Duke comes, shoot it, run away and so on. Also, Steroids help a lot. Rockets are very good and so can the Shrinker be later on. You can also choose to start with the Freezethrower since it is good vs Dukes because it keeps them in place... If all else fails, you can use Deathrage early on against the Duke.

View PostShadow Reborn, on 02 October 2016 - 11:12 AM, said:

You have to use cheap tactics: run around the corner and wait until the Evil Duke comes, shoot it, run away and so on. Also, Steroids help a lot. Rockets are very good and so can the Shrinker be later on. You can also choose to start with the Freezethrower since it is good vs Dukes because it keeps them in place... If all else fails, you can use Deathrage early on against the Duke.

Personally my tactic is to run into them and use the super kick combo to stunlock them, or try to freeze them with the sparks of the freezetrhower from another enemy or right on them, later one your suggestions definitely work ...

OR if I think I'm not up to the task I send in the HoloDuke and if he happens to shoot a few radiation shots then I disable him and wait for it to do its trick.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 02 October 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

Personally my tactic is to run into them and use the super kick combo to stunlock them, or try to freeze them with the sparks of the freezetrhower from another enemy or right on them, later one your suggestions definitely work ...

OR if I think I'm not up to the task I send in the HoloDuke and if he happens to shoot a few radiation shots then I disable him and wait for it to do its trick.

Yeah but he was talking about when you start a game on high difficulty and you encounter them (sometimes 2 or 3 of them) in the very first map when you don't have that stuff yet. Depending on the layout and distribution of items, it may still be feasible to beat them or it may be nearly impossible.

You must have got my message wrong. I was actually talking about encountering them at the start of the level when you're say at level 8 of your playthrough (it doesn't happen on level 1 or 2, nothing it worry about here) and equipped only with pistol and your secondary weapon (sometimes only with secondary weapon since the mod keeps pistol ammo from previous level and never refills it). Also I'm not talking about Duke Clones (those are not that much pain in the ass) but rather about those armored cyborgs that shoot homing lasers and stuff like that. Those are really hard to deal with. I remember playing Red3 and running into a bunch of them right at the start of the map and on my second playthrough it happened again this time in High Altitude Face-Off. The first liztroop is a freaking cyborg and I've got nothing.
I'm not really complaining about that, just wanted to know if there's a way to deal higher damage to them which I don't know.
I've been playing the build Dan posted a few hours ago. The new enemy is pretty fun, although I think the guy must have some ammo drops since it takes plenty of shotgun shots to kill him. Also I swear half of the liztroops in my playthrough are now these double-headed troopers. What is the chance of spawning them in a map? I feel like it's pretty high.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMister Sinister, on 02 October 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

Also I'm not talking about Duke Clones (those are not that much pain in the ass) but rather about those armored cyborgs that shoot homing lasers and stuff like that. Those are really hard to deal with.

Ah I see. One tip is that bullets do more damage if you shoot them in the legs because they have no armor there. If you shoot them in the torso with bullets, they only take 50% damage and it causes those metal sparks. I would also recommend trying to have your nuke saved up for when you start the next level, because with a nuke and the fact that death rage is reset at level start, you can kill pretty much any group of enemies you will encounter even if you have no ammo.

View PostMister Sinister, on 02 October 2016 - 12:44 PM, said:

I've been playing the build Dan posted a few hours ago. The new enemy is pretty fun, although I think the guy must have some ammo drops since it takes plenty of shotgun shots to kill him. Also I swear half of the liztroops in my playthrough are now these double-headed troopers. What is the chance of spawning them in a map? I feel like it's pretty high.

I am in the process of adjusting this and it's the reason for having the beta testing. The chance of a liztroop being replaced by one of the two-heads should only be about 1.5%, and the chance of a pigcop being replaced is about 6%. I agree it seems higher sometimes, but I'm going to chalk that up to RNG. One thing I'm doing is setting a score threshold on some enemies, so that they absolutely will not appear if your score is below a certain number, regardless of the difficulty you have selected. As for drops: yes, thanks for reminding me, those guys do need to have a chance of dropping some ammo.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'm posting some adusted code that I've been playing with. It adds a score requirement for certain enemies appearing and changes their percentages a bit, adds a chance of ammo dropping to the two-heads, and fixes a few small bugs.

EDIT: obsolete con attachment removed

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

After posting those CONs yesterday, I did some more testing, found and fixed some more minor bugs (the two I remember right now are the shadow version of cybertrooper getting stuck in shadow mode if you hit him in mid-shadow and some text being out of place in 4:3 aspect ratio), and I also changed out some more maps.

I'm satisfied that the mod is in a good place and I released version 2.0 on Mod DB. As always, there are things that can be better and more features are possible down the road, but unless someone finds a major bug, I don't plan any more updates for a while. But hey, major bugs are always a possibility. I'm removing the file from dropbox and the CONs I attached above, since the latest version is now here: http://www.moddb.com...ition/downloads

I have another suggestion. Can you make buzzsaw perk drop special ammo only for secondary weapon you actually own? I have seen shock rifle ammo (I usually go with the flamethrower) popping out numerous times and it seems kinda odd to me since you can't actually use this type of ammo.
Also is there anybody who had maxed out at least one weapon in their playthrough?

This post has been edited by Mister Sinister: 03 October 2016 - 11:26 PM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 October 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

I have another suggestion. Can you make buzzsaw perk drop special ammo only for secondary weapon you actually own? I have seen shock rifle ammo (I usually go with the flamethrower) popping out numerous times and it seems kinda odd to me since you can't actually use this type of ammo.

That reminds me...one of the things I changed in this last update is I reduced the rate at which the buzzsaw charges, but increased the number of items that are spawned. As for your suggestion: it's not a bad idea, but keep in mind that (i) even if you don't own that weapon at the moment, you might get it later in the map, and (ii) you can get this perk in the WoA episode in which every single weapon is available. But yeah, I see your point...alas, it will have to wait for a future update.

I see your point too, but I did multiple playthroughs and haven't found a single shock rifle just lying around (at least during Random Missions). That's why it seems odd to me.

View PostMister Sinister, on 03 October 2016 - 11:25 PM, said:

Also is there anybody who had maxed out at least one weapon in their playthrough?

What do you mean by "maxing out a weapon" ?

If you talk about having maximal Shock Rifle or Flamethrower ammo then YES it did happen to me though very rarely ... If you talk about upgrades and having a weapon level 9 or 10 then it's pretty much impossible without cheating, the only time it happened to me was while cheating in WOA mode to see all the other maps (too hard for me legitimately) .... If you talk about having all upgrades on a weapon apart from the constant "dammage" "+projectile" and such then you only need to have level 5 or 6 to achieve that so it happens pretty much all the time with me ...

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

The experience point thresholds for the various weapons have been set so that it's pretty much impossible to max out a weapon. As an example, here are the level cutoffs for the pistol:

Spoiler

16 is the maximum level for all the weapons, but nothing interesting happens when you go above level 6 -- at that point they just do more and more damage. If you do somehow manage to get to level 16, the xp cap is set so high that you would surely have to be cheating to reach it, and even then it would take millions of monster kills to do it. For your efforts, you would get an array out of bounds error.

User is offline   Phantom 

Heya,

I'm a HUUUUGE fan of Attrition to the point that I think the original game is dull without it and I can't play without the mod anymore. ;))

So I've been following this thread for quite a while and tested every beta version Dan has posted, but I never really pitched in since everything I encountered was posted already.
Naturally, as soon as it was posted I took the final version of Attrition 2.0. I LOVE the new Double Headed Trooper and the new perks are SUPER fun and bad ass!
I noticed however that there are wayyyyy too many Double Headed Troopers. I mean don't get me wrong they're bad ass and I love a challenge in this game(i usually play on DIG or "It's a good day to die"), but the chance of one appearing for me is about 60%.
They are EVERYWHERE ! :D)) I've played quite a few random missions so I had time to meet them at each and every corner. When the room is full of monsters, they usually take up more than a quarter of it.
I really like all the variations, so bloody good job on that. The black shadowy one is super cool, a bit creepy and damaging AF. Even the normal ones can quickly hand your ass over to you if you're not careful. :dukewhistle:)

All in all, the mod is going great so far. My only question was if it's normal to encounter so many, since you said the chance of them spawning is 1.5% and 6% respectively.

Thanks !
Keep up the fantastic work, Dan!

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thank you. I don't understand why the cybertroopers are so common. Looking at the code, they should be pretty rare. Either I don't understand how the code works or the RNG is broken. Either way, I guess I will have to lower the percentages to about half of what they are now.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Thank you. I don't understand why the cybertroopers are so common. Looking at the code, they should be pretty rare. Either I don't understand how the code works or the RNG is broken. Either way, I guess I will have to lower the percentages to about half of what they are now.

On my end the CyberTrooper appears at least twice per level but never more than say 6 or 7 times even on the end of a run ...

User is offline   Phantom 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 04 October 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Well, I don't really mind them being so many ;)) It's fun to blast them into oblivion. It's a bit annoying when you don't have many weapons at the beginning of a random mission, but even then you have the pistol and the starting weapon which is almost always enough.
Also, I noticed there were no Cyber Imps, did you decide to remove them in the end?

A funny bug happened as I was playing around with "Slain enemies become allies" perk. I think it happened because my blue newbeast that shoots green BFG-like projectiles got killed in the middle of attack. The result was this:
Spoiler

I've managed to upgrade my flamethrower up to level 9, but I think I was extremely lucky.
Also yet another question: how many boss levels are there? I've only stumbled upon 2 this far: Suburban Hive and WG Space final mission.

View PostMister Sinister, on 05 October 2016 - 09:43 AM, said:

A funny bug happened as I was playing around with "Slain enemies become allies" perk. I think it happened because my blue newbeast that shoots green BFG-like projectiles got killed in the middle of attack. The result was this:
Spoiler

That's gross! Uhm...Dan? ;)

Also yet another question: how many boss levels are there? I've only stumbled upon 2 this far: Suburban Hive and WG Space final mission.

The 3 levels are Suburban Hive, Moon Base and WG City.

This post has been edited by Shadow Reborn: 05 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPhantom, on 05 October 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Also, I noticed there were no Cyber Imps, did you decide to remove them in the end?

The cyber-imps were removed from all regular maps. They still appear in the WoA invasion gametype, though.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Spoiler

Weird. I'm trying to think of what would cause that. Good thing it wasn't an infinite loop of spawning that crashed the game. EDIT: I'm guessing that the projectile was set to spawn the wrong tile number...it looks like a dead queen sprite.

This post has been edited by Trooper Dan: 05 October 2016 - 11:01 AM

No, it's a dead newbeast sprite set to blue palette. I really have no idea how did that happen.
BTW, your mod takes a whole lot of RAM! 1.2 gb is quite a lot, but I guess there's not much you can do about that.

View PostShadow Reborn, on 05 October 2016 - 10:15 AM, said:

The 3 levels are Suburban Hive, Moon Base and WG City.

WG City ? Really ?
I've already stumbled across that map in previous versions of the mod and it was never as a final level O_o

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 05 October 2016 - 11:22 AM, said:

WG City ? Really ?
I've already stumbled across that map in previous versions of the mod and it was never as a final level O_o

No, WG City is not a final boss level. It's WG Space final. The one that ends with a huge boss battle.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 05 October 2016 - 11:36 AM, said:

No, WG City is not a final boss level. It's WG Space final. The one that ends with a huge boss battle.

I meant WG END BOSS, Hive and Moon Base to be clear.

User is offline   king karl 

why did you take the cyber imps out i liked running into those on occasion

also some perk ideas that would help with late game

-start every level with shield: just to give me a chance to get some weapons
And maybe a new kind of perk that can be taken an infinite number of times when you have nothing left to buy
-spawn ally mech
-give persistent jetpack (is not taken at end of level but can still run out)
-max all ammo

sure the jetpack might mess with some maps but if you have the spare perks point lying around....you earned it

Also I was thinking about a fun new weapon that the queen minibosses should drop, the womb, squeeze it to produce an allied protector drone....just take the heart from shadow warrior and color it blue =p

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options