Duke4.net Forums: Duke Nukem: War of Attrition - Duke4.net Forums

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

I was wondering : why don't you add the Scorpio Tank as an "evolved" Pigtank and the Organtic as "evolved" Slimer ?

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

That would be cool if someone made accurate rocket physics. Don't forget that for every second the rocket is in the air, it should come closer to the ground by 9.8 meters - and I'm not sure how that would translate into the EDuke32 world.

Well, yes Radar, but maybe that it's not too fitting in this mod, which is more oriented to "over the top" action.

User is offline   Gambini 

And I´m not sure Rockets fall with gravity just as it. Not for nothing they have those deflectors in the tail, to produce lift.

User is offline   Valherran 

Anything new on this?

User is offline   Rhaisher 

I'm not sure if it's caused by the mod or eDuke32 but when I reached "Suburban Hive" in my last playthrough, the second half of the level (after deactivating the big door's forcefield) was pitch black. I couldn't see a thing, even with the "Invisi-Googles" activated, as a result it was unplayable and I died in the radioactive pit. I remember seeing this part full lit in previous versions, what could be causing this?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRhaiNukem, on 15 July 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

I'm not sure if it's caused by the mod or eDuke32 but when I reached "Suburban Hive" in my last playthrough, the second half of the level (after deactivating the big door's forcefield) was pitch black. I couldn't see a thing, even with the "Invisi-Googles" activated, as a result it was unplayable and I died in the radioactive pit. I remember seeing this part full lit in previous versions, what could be causing this?

That's very strange. I have some questions:

Were you using the eduke32.exe that came with Attrition, or a more recent version?
Does the blackness remain if you save the game, quit EDuke32, and then load the game?
Does the blackness exist regardless of which renderer you are using?
Is the HUD still visible?
Can you identify a precise moment or event at which it went black?
Assuming that you have a save from before it went black, does the game go black again when you try to finish the level?

Trooper Dan, on 16 July 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Were you using the eduke32.exe that came with Attrition, or a more recent version?

At first I used the updated eDuke32, but I encountered the same issue in the first or second level of "Random Missions" and decided to use the one included in Attrition.

Does the blackness remain if you save the game, quit EDuke32, and then load the game?

I don't know, I didn't try it. I got frustrated, quitted the game and deleted the saved game.

Does the blackness exist regardless of which renderer you are using?

Edit: Yes, wether 32-bit OpenGL or Software it looks dark anyway. With Software renderer and ambient lighting to 4.00 it looks better, but dark nevertheless.

Is the HUD still visible?

Yes, only that that part of the level is so dark that, if you don't activate the map, you don't know where you are walking.

Can you identify a precise moment or event at which it went black?

It was after a flooded underground passage that leads to a factory or something like that. I'm not sure if the factory is supposed to be that dark, but I played in past versions and it was lit enough to see.

Assuming that you have a save from before it went black, does the game go black again when you try to finish the level?

As before, I don't know. I'm going to do a new playthrough and see what happens.

Edit: Maybe it's just me and that part was, indeed, supposed to be THAT dark. To be challenging, I guess... But I don't remember it being so dark.
Thanks anyway. :)

This post has been edited by RhaiNukem: 16 July 2013 - 04:26 AM

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

This is the first time I hear about someone deleting a save game :)

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostRhaiNukem, on 16 July 2013 - 03:13 AM, said:

Edit: Maybe it's just me and that part was, indeed, supposed to be THAT dark. To be challenging, I guess... But I don't remember it being so dark.
Thanks anyway. :)

There have been some changes to the way EDuke32 handles shading over the years. It's possible that map was made at a time when shading was much brighter, and now that shading looks more "classic" the map seems extremely dark. I suggest changing the shadescale by using the console to help visibility.

DavoX, on 16 July 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

This is the first time I hear about someone deleting a save game :)

I didn't have much choice, the game autosaved the moment I was falling in the radioactive pit... and I was out of jetpack. :D

Trooper Dan, on 16 July 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I suggest changing the shadescale by using the console to help visibility.

Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to figure out how to do that in EDukeWiki.

Edit: Done, it looks much better now. Thanks for everything.

This post has been edited by RhaiNukem: 16 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

User is offline   Maindrian 

So yeah, been enjoying this again, explosions work for me now, don't know if it's the latest Eduke version or whatever, but the whole thing seems a heck of a lot more stable, which is always nice.

Only one problem so far, the stage "Voices of Authority" (actually a massive favourite of mine) refuses to load at all, in the highscore challenge at least. Anybody else had this? What happens is, it basically chooses that level, up comes the loading screen and... Nothing. Just stays there, no loading bar. Have to go to task manager and shut it off, reload and let it pick another level whenever it comes up. Thinking of renaming another level and sticking it in place just to see what happens, but that'd mean waiting for it to pop up in the random load list, so it might take some time.

Edit: Yep, switched the level out for something else, still sticking on the load screen.

This post has been edited by Maindrian: 24 July 2013 - 05:52 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMaindrian, on 22 July 2013 - 05:58 PM, said:

So yeah, been enjoying this again, explosions work for me now, don't know if it's the latest Eduke version or whatever, but the whole thing seems a heck of a lot more stable, which is always nice.

Only one problem so far, the stage "Voices of Authority" (actually a massive favourite of mine) refuses to load at all, in the highscore challenge at least. Anybody else had this? What happens is, it basically chooses that level, up comes the loading screen and... Nothing. Just stays there, no loading bar. Have to go to task manager and shut it off, reload and let it pick another level whenever it comes up. Thinking of renaming another level and sticking it in place just to see what happens, but that'd mean waiting for it to pop up in the random load list, so it might take some time.

Edit: Yep, switched the level out for something else, still sticking on the load screen.

I just noticed this post. My first thought was "corner case!" but that map slot is neither the first nor last in any way.

Have you tried loading that map directly using the user map menu option?

View PostTrooper Dan, on 25 July 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

I just noticed this post. My first thought was "corner case!" but that map slot is neither the first nor last in any way.

Have you tried loading that map directly using the user map menu option?

Yeah. Different situation (put the proper VOA file back in place), same end result though. This time, the loading bar does come up, flickers through quick as you like, then vanishes and it hangs on the background splash as before.

User is offline   Player Lin 

I haven't get this level selected at the 56th level on my current HSC run... :P

I wonder this one sounds like the crashing on end of 15th level to 16th level that was fixed on latest CON update...but this one didn't crash at all... maybe I should try loading my savegame over and over to get the "Voices of Authority" level to load and see what happens...

EDIT : I guess I already completed that level on my HSC run about some months ago and the level worked and I completed it so fine.
Or my r3773 of eduke32 build just don't have this problem...

EDIT 2 : Downloaded the latest of eduke32 build r3973( ! ), tried just directly load VOA.map from the user maps list or start a new HSC game(my r3773 savegames don't work anymore), and for some reasons it load the VoA level as the first mission and works fine totally. That's my result...

Maindrian , or maybe you can try do fresh installation/setting cfg files of eduke32 with the latest WoA Mod on a new directory and start a new HSC game, keep trying to get VoA level loads, see is this problem still exist or not...?

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 28 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostPlayer Lin, on 28 July 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

Maindrian , or maybe you can try do fresh installation/setting cfg files of eduke32 with the latest WoA Mod on a new directory and start a new HSC game, keep trying to get VoA level loads, see is this problem still exist or not...?

Yeah, I'll try it out. It may very well be I've poked at something I shouldn't have. I've got a big load of custom midis and oggs I've used to give every level its own unique music and I've got a habit of twiddling with stuff in general. Could possibly be I screwed something up on the latest install.

Seriously, my current Morrowind install is a goddamn mess. I can't stop tweaking stuff if its not *just* so.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

If it still hangs when loading that map after you have tried reinstalling with latest versions, then please post your log file.

Sorry about the delay, yep, all's fine now. Must have missed something when I lazily copy pasted the folders in on the last re-install.

Gotta say, this is fantastic stuff STILL. The difficulty reaches a nice sweet spot too, where it's fifty fifty on you being a walking death machine or turning a corner and getting your ass pasted all over a wall. It's bloody hard, but it's never unfair, since you've always got options. The longevity is amazing too.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMaindrian, on 12 August 2013 - 07:55 AM, said:

Sorry about the delay, yep, all's fine now. Must have missed something when I lazily copy pasted the folders in on the last re-install.

Gotta say, this is fantastic stuff STILL. The difficulty reaches a nice sweet spot too, where it's fifty fifty on you being a walking death machine or turning a corner and getting your ass pasted all over a wall. It's bloody hard, but it's never unfair, since you've always got options. The longevity is amazing too.

Thanks for the positive feedback! :P

User is offline   Valherran 

Anything new on this?

User is offline   MacoMan 

Been playing around with this mod and having a blast. I love the idea of playing random user maps and having the mod keep track of which ones have already been played. A question: I know it comes with 120+ of the best user maps the community has produced, but can I add maps to the randomization feature of WOA just by dropping them into the ATTMaps folder or is the game selection pre-coded only to work with the included user maps?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostMacoMan, on 28 October 2013 - 04:15 PM, said:

Been playing around with this mod and having a blast. I love the idea of playing random user maps and having the mod keep track of which ones have already been played. A question: I know it comes with 120+ of the best user maps the community has produced, but can I add maps to the randomization feature of WOA just by dropping them into the ATTMaps folder or is the game selection pre-coded only to work with the included user maps?

The map names have to be coded in, unfortunately. To do what you want, you could change the names of your maps to match those that you are replacing.

With some code changes, a much larger number of maps could be incorporated, but their names would still have to be written into the code. I would love for there to be scripting features that enabled scanning of a folder on startup and then adding the maps therein to game volumes.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 31 October 2013 - 07:48 PM, said:

I would love for there to be scripting features that enabled scanning of a folder on startup and then adding the maps therein to game volumes.

That's definitely doable, and most sensibly split into the two parts -- listing file names in a path and setting the corresponding MapInfo[] members.

For the listing, I added a rudimentary wrapper around cache1d's "klistpath" function in the Lunatic build (not built yet). MapInfo[] access has yet to be written, probably in the form of some setter functions.

What you'd still need is some metadata about the maps though. But Lua being pretty good at data description, you could either maintain one big Lua file with info for all maps, or one file per map, replacing the ".map" extension with ".lua". Example file:

do return
{
  name = "Castle of Horror",
  dtime = 10*60,
  ptime = 15*60,
}
end

Then in your code, you'd require that template for each map and extract the needed data.

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I just noticed your post, HH -- sorry, I haven't been coming around here very often of late. Anyway, what you propose sounds great, but it would sure be nice if there were some way to make the game use default values if meta data is not supplied. The best/par times for maps don't really matter (all the maps could be 3/10 minutes as far as I'm concerned), and the names of the levels could be taken from the file names.

User is offline   polyhedron 

Hello Dan,
I would like to play again with the Attrition mod, but I have trouble running the mod with the HRP 5.3: the eduke32 launcher hangs on loading indefinitely. While it stays hanged I do hear the laptop fan speed up, so I guess there is some loading on the memory.
I've attached the screen of the launcher as it stays hanged. Also attached is the eduke32.log file.
Before installing the Attrition mod I played with LeoD's Override Pack to use Polymost because of performance limits on my laptop with a lame Radeon Mobility HD5650, and the games starts and runs flawlessly.

What follows is the list of the installation steps I followed in order to play with the Attrition mod by starting from scratch:

1. Created C:\DUKE3D folder
2. Unzipped eduke32.exe in C:\DUKE3D
3. Copied DUKE3D.GRP in C:\DUKE3D
4. Created C:\DUKE3D\autoload folder
5. Copied duke3d_hrp.zip (Polymer 5.3) in C:\DUKE3D\autoload
6. Copied duke3d_polymost_hrp_override-5.3.565.zip in C:\DUKE3D\autoload
7. Unzipped attrition.zip (v. 1.50 beta 2, downloaded from your "Fissile Materials" website) in C:\DUKE3D, choosing to NOT overwrite C:\DUKE3D\eduke32.exe
8. Double-clicked on attrition_HRP.bat file; the eduke32 launcher would come up
9. On the launcher, activated "fullscreen", left "Polymer" DEactivated
10. Selected the max available 32bpp resolution available (1366x768)
11. Selected "Keyboard and Mouse" from Input Devices drop-down
12. Selected "attrition" from Custom game content directory
13. Activated "Enable autoload folder"
14. Clicked on the "Start" button

Thinking that the problem could be related to the Override Pack, I re-installed everything from scratch without the pack, but the game behaves exactly the same (hangs up loading). If I keep the Override Pack and instead remove the Attrition mod it starts correctly. Thus it seems that the Attrition mod can't run along with the (Polymost) HRP.

Let me know if you need further info on my configuration.
I hope you can help me with this since I love your mod!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: Eduke32_launcher_Hang.png

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by polyhedron: 19 January 2014 - 03:16 AM

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Unfortunately the log stops before showing any errors. I have a few questions: What happens when you use the eduke32.exe that comes with Attrition, instead of the latest one? Also, what happens when you start Attrition without the HRP (i.e. use "attrition.bat" and leave "enable autoload" unchecked)? Finally, what happens when you use autoload with the latest eduke32.exe, but you use the non-hrp .bat file to start? Thanks.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 19 January 2014 - 04:30 PM, said:

Unfortunately the log stops before showing any errors. I have a few questions: What happens when you use the eduke32.exe that comes with Attrition, instead of the latest one? Also, what happens when you start Attrition without the HRP (i.e. use "attrition.bat" and leave "enable autoload" unchecked)? Finally, what happens when you use autoload with the latest eduke32.exe, but you use the non-hrp .bat file to start? Thanks.

Hello, I haven't made those attempts yet. I will try and let you know when I come back home this evening. As for the log, yesterday I noticed that the log has no error evebut I hoped that this could make itself an information, also because I found strange that the last line printed is something about att.cfg. Anyway thanks for your reply. Write to you soon.

What happens when you use the eduke32.exe that comes with Attrition, instead of the latest one?

The game starts. Content has Hi-res/3d models (but the cyborg-imp is 2d).

Also, what happens when you start Attrition without the HRP (i.e. use "attrition.bat" and leave "enable autoload" unchecked)?

The game starts. Content has Lo-res/2d models.

Finally, what happens when you use autoload with the latest eduke32.exe, but you use the non-hrp .bat file to start?

The game starts. Content has Low-res/2d models.

It seems that the problem appears only when
1-latest eduke32 AND
2-Attrition mod AND
3-Hi-res Pack
are in the game at the same time...

Has anyone been able to reproduce this ?

User is online   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for looking into this. At least I know that it still works fine without the HRP, and still works with the HRP using the packaged executable. It has been a long time since I have tried playing with the HRP myself. Attrition includes defs for some HRP models (e.g. the hud pistols and hud RPG) that override the defs for those models in the HRP. Those overrides worked fine before, but I suspect that the crash has something to do with them not working with the latest HRP and executable. This is just a hunch, though, and further testing would be needed to confirm it. And yeah, it would be good if someone could replicate the hang.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 20 January 2014 - 07:06 PM, said:

Thanks for looking into this. At least I know that it still works fine without the HRP, and still works with the HRP using the packaged executable. It has been a long time since I have tried playing with the HRP myself. Attrition includes defs for some HRP models (e.g. the hud pistols and hud RPG) that override the defs for those models in the HRP. Those overrides worked fine before, but I suspect that the crash has something to do with them not working with the latest HRP and executable. This is just a hunch, though, and further testing would be needed to confirm it. And yeah, it would be good if someone could replicate the hang.

I'll try commenting out the lines in the Attrition defs which override the original hud models of the HRP, though I don't know where they are exactly - I'm more a player than modder. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options