• « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke Nukem: War of Attrition  "Discussion thread for DT's War of Attrition mod"

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostTrooper Dan, on 15 March 2013 - 11:20 PM, said:

I have done a lot of work on this in the last few days. I will upload an open beta this weekend for anyone who would like to give feedback. The biggest thing that I have done for this next version so far is added an entirely new enemy. Normally that wouldn't be a lot of work, but in this mod, every enemy has lots of variants that have to be coded as well. I have also fixed bugs, added some new levels and streamlined the episode selections.

Some new maps?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostNorvak, on 16 March 2013 - 10:36 AM, said:

Some new maps?

New to this mod. I'm referring to suitable user maps that have been released since the last time I worked on it.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTrooper Dan, on 16 March 2013 - 01:29 PM, said:

New to this mod. I'm referring to suitable user maps that have been released since the last time I worked on it.

Do adding new maps will removed some old maps(due whatever reasons, like not fits or too boring or something)? I feel we needed more maps for DN:WoA... :angry:

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlayer Lin, on 17 March 2013 - 01:25 AM, said:

Do adding new maps will removed some old maps(due whatever reasons, like not fits or too boring or something)? I feel we needed more maps for DN:WoA... :angry:

Do you have any suggestions for WoA maps?

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2013 - 08:34 AM, said:

Do you have any suggestions for WoA maps?

I would like see the Dogville 2012,Duke Nukem 2013 and CBP8 in it if possible. :angry:

(You know I'm not means WoA mode... :D)

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 17 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostPlayer Lin, on 17 March 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

I would like see the Dogville 2012 in it if possible. :angry:

(You know I'm not means WoA mode... :D)

Yes I'll include that for the regular mode.

View PostTrooper Dan, on 17 March 2013 - 08:46 AM, said:

Yes I'll include that for the regular mode.

Shit, I edited my post and added other 2 maps I want...were too fast to send my post. :D

Thanks. :angry:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 17 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

User is offline   Valherran 

A small request regarding WoA maps, could you revise the 2nd level? That one has very little ammo in it. And if there is a decent amount, it's because it is hidden and not easily found.

• Duke Plus Developer

I had hoped to get something uploaded this weekend, but it's taking me more time than I thought. The good news is the new version will see some major improvements.

• Duke Plus Developer

I have just uploaded War of Attrition version 1.5 beta, now available on the Fissile Materials site (link in sig).

This includes some new maps, a new enemy, some bug fixes, balance tweaks, and a streamlined episode menu. I'm calling it a "beta" because I will probably make further updates in the near future, and I'm hoping for feedback to help me do that.

A caution to anyone who is new to this mod: Performance with polymer is not good on most machines, so polymost is recommended.

If you are testing this version, please note that I have not actually played through any of the episodes except for the WoA episode. I anticipate that playing through the original levels episode might get hilarious, due to the large number of levels and the fact that things tend to get crazy once the player has leveled beyond a certain point.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

Attrition has quite some issues with both the current and the upcoming HRP release which you might want to look into. Mostly the HUD models seem to be affected (pistol, hand, RPG). Subsequent to the addition of the new Duke2013 model the old one has been moved internally which will affect the Attrition (and DukePlus) Duke bots. A have attached an example att_hrp.def which uses the old Duke model at its new location. The HUD torch should have a transparent background.
Attached Image: att-rpg-PolymerHRP-5.2.483.jpg
EDIT: ANORAKCITY.mid is read-only.

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by LeoD: 20 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

Thanks for the report. I forgot to mention that I did not work on HRP compatibility at all in this release. Due to the use of Lezing's CLUT pack, and some 8-bit enemy art (with more to come), compatibility is going to be imperfect at best. I might drop support for it entirely.

User is offline   supergoofy 

8-bit all the way, it's more fun with this mod.

Thanks DeeperThought for this release.

I think if you try playing DN:WoA with HRP then you just killing your computer.

:angry:

• Duke Plus Developer

I am uploading a new beta version. If you already downloaded the version from a few days ago, all you need is the new CON files, which are attached.

Aside from some more bug fixes, this version introduces classes:

CLASSES – At the beginning of the game you will be prompted to select a character class. There are four choices: vanilla, tank, assassin, and zookeeper. Your choice will affect gameplay by giving you bonuses and penalties associated with the chosen class (these are listed in the class selection screen). If you have not played War of Attrition before, it is recommended that you choose vanilla (no penalties, no bonuses).

It's still somewhat of a WIP, but the feature is functional.

EDIT: updated attachment with some bug fixes and balance adjustments
EDIT2: a few more bug fixes, and now i'm going to re-up the whole package

User is offline   tomo 

Hay TD.Ive been trying to replace the backpack that drops ammo with a model but i cant get it to work i dont think i defined it properly any heip with geting it defined properly would be awsome.Thanks :)

Attached File(s)

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 28 March 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

Hay TD.Ive been trying to replace the backpack that drops ammo with a model but i cant get it to work i dont think i defined it properly any heip with geting it defined properly would be awsome.Thanks :)
Your model is MD2 but you've defined an MD3. eduke32.log is your friend and should contain a warning message.

View PostPlayer Lin, on 21 March 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

I think if you try playing DN:WoA with HRP then you just killing your computer.
There's still Polymost HRP available. :P

This post has been edited by LeoD: 28 March 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostLeoD, on 28 March 2013 - 06:16 AM, said:

There's still Polymost HRP available. :P

I know, but for my 5 years old computer, it still try to murder my machine. :)

User is offline   tomo 

I changed it to MD2 but it still wont work any ideas ?

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by tomo: 28 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

• Duke Plus Developer

I dunno, but since HRP compatibility is currently poor, I'm not too concerned about a backpack model replacement.

By the way, the full download package now contains and latest code (and has for a few days now), so the attachment I posted earlier isn't necessary.

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 28 March 2013 - 06:50 AM, said:

I changed it to MD2 but it still wont work any ideas ?
Disable the Z-Pack or edit att_hrp-z.def instead of att_hrp.def.
Unrelated: updating your medieval EDuke32 might be a good idea, too.

User is offline   tomo 

View PostLeoD, on 28 March 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

Disable the Z-Pack or edit att_hrp-z.def instead of att_hrp.def.
Unrelated: updating your medieval EDuke32 might be a good idea, too.

nope just tried both ideas and it still wouldnt show up ? nevermind

User is offline   LeoD 

• Duke4.net topic/3513

View Posttomo, on 28 March 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

nope just tried both ideas and it still wouldnt show up ? nevermind
Your files are named lbackpack.* instead of backpack.*.

User is offline   Valherran 

Been playing the latest BETA you put out, it's pretty damn good. Though there is always a list to follow:

The new classes you can choose are definantly interesting, though the drawbacks on them are really, REALLY, annoying.

Tank - I really like the damage reduction and no self damage this class offers, but the slow movement when firing a weapon doesn't really help you any mid-late game. Some attacks shouldn't slow you at all, such as using kicks of any kind, reloading a pistol, placing trip bombs, or throwing pipe bombs. In mid-late game, the monsters you desperately need to avoid and always be on the move from, cannot be avoided once you fire at them due to that sluggish movement speed, and it gets you killed often. Not too sure on what to replace that penalty with, maybe halved HP/Armor pickups instead? Or possibly halved inventory?

Assassin - This class is more like a handicap to me, you get less ammo from pickups and increased damage at close range isn't really noticeable. I would suggest reworking this class to be something like; Half HP/Armor, free Damage Amp at close range. Half HP/Armor may seem bad, but the ammo reduction IMHO was worse. Having Damage Amp like damage at close range all the time would make this better. "Close range" should be increased a bit to offer better avoidance while playing your role. If this were to go into effect, then this class may or may not need fast leveling as a bonus.

Zookeeper - Zookeeper was fun, but it got really annoying dealing with all of the mobs that fight for you, especially in tight maps. The slow leveling made this class pointless to be in mid-late game, it got to the point where high end mobs were overpowering me and the horde following me, resulting in me throwing in the towel at around 700k-1000k score. Since this class revolves around the player to rely on it's slain mobs fighting for you, I would put the ammo penalty from the current Assassin class on this one if you changed it. This will give the player a fighting chance for when a mega mob spawns on you late game.

Some other ideas for classes if you are interested:

Engineer/Field Tech/Holomaster:
Infinite Holoduke, Holodukes gain 10% increased stats per Holoduke picked up.
Slow movement when firing weapons.

Survivalist:
Generates 1 box of all ammo types every 2 min, gains x2 bonus from permanent bonus pickups.
Slow Leveling.

Commando:
Regenerates 1 HP/Armor per second (increases by 1 per 100 bonus points gained per type), Infinite NV Goggles.
Halved maximum inventory values.

Medic/Combat Medic:
Replenishes Medkit ever 2 min, Double inventory.
No Holoduke and Damage Amp.

User is offline   Comreak 

Found a bug: ammo pickups for the freezer don't add to the ammo count for the freezer, but picking up the freezer itself does. This was true in one game each of the 'Original Levels' and 'War of Attrition.' I was playing as the assassin both times. This is with the latest beta release (and the beta release before that, too).

Otherwise, I can't get enough of this mod, keep up the good work!

Edit://Oops... didn't know you had to start a new game for updated code to take effect. See next post.

This post has been edited by Comreak: 03 April 2013 - 09:27 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostComreak, on 03 April 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

Found a bug: ammo pickups for the freezer don't add to the ammo count for the freezer, but picking up the freezer itself does. This was also the case in a brief game of the 'War of Attrition' mode I played. I was playing as the assassin in both cases, not sure if this applies to the other classes as well. This is with the latest beta release (and the release before that, too).

Otherwise, I can't get enough of this mod, keep up the good work!

Yes, it was a bug with the assassin class.

That bug was fixed, and I uploaded the fixed version on March 28. I just double-checked it to make sure. It's possible that you downloaded the buggy version right before then.

I'm attaching the latest (fixed code), but it's the same code included with the current download. Keep in mind that you have to start a new game for it to take effect (saved games use the code they were started with).

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostValherran, on 03 April 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Been playing the latest BETA you put out, it's pretty damn good. Though there is always a list to follow:

The new classes you can choose are definantly interesting, though the drawbacks on them are really, REALLY, annoying.

Tank - I really like the damage reduction and no self damage this class offers, but the slow movement when firing a weapon doesn't really help you any mid-late game. Some attacks shouldn't slow you at all, such as using kicks of any kind, reloading a pistol, placing trip bombs, or throwing pipe bombs. In mid-late game, the monsters you desperately need to avoid and always be on the move from, cannot be avoided once you fire at them due to that sluggish movement speed, and it gets you killed often. Not too sure on what to replace that penalty with, maybe halved HP/Armor pickups instead? Or possibly halved inventory?

Yes, I was afraid of that, and unfortunately I didn't have time to test the class in mid-late game. Without getting into the reasons for doing it the way I did, how does this sound for a second-take on the tank class:

Same damage reduction bonuses as before.
Slow overall movement speed at all times (not just when firing weapons)
But not as slow as the current speed penalty when firing
And you can perform a continuous high-speed dash at any time by double-tapping forward and then holding the forward key, but the dash costs health (1% of max health every 2 seconds, minimum 1 health cost).

Assassin - This class is more like a handicap to me, you get less ammo from pickups and increased damage at close range isn't really noticeable. I would suggest reworking this class to be something like; Half HP/Armor, free Damage Amp at close range. Half HP/Armor may seem bad, but the ammo reduction IMHO was worse. Having Damage Amp like damage at close range all the time would make this better. "Close range" should be increased a bit to offer better avoidance while playing your role. If this were to go into effect, then this class may or may not need fast leveling as a bonus.

You also get increased XP, which means you level your weapons a lot faster. I was able to finish WoA mode with this class without too much trouble. I didn't have trouble with ammo reduction, because there is plenty of ammo in most maps, and I was able to use kicks and close range shots to compensate. However, I may change things around to make them more fun. Also, I realize the ammo might be an issue in other modes.

The first idea that comes to mind is giving the player bonuses when attacking a designated targeted enemy, regardless of the distance to the enemy. For example, you do double damage and get triple XP against that enemy, but not against any other enemies. Targeting an enemy would require putting them in your crosshair and pressing the use key, and you have to wait several seconds, or until the enemy dies (whichever happens first) before you are allowed to change targets.

Zookeeper - Zookeeper was fun, but it got really annoying dealing with all of the mobs that fight for you, especially in tight maps. The slow leveling made this class pointless to be in mid-late game, it got to the point where high end mobs were overpowering me and the horde following me, resulting in me throwing in the towel at around 700k-1000k score. Since this class revolves around the player to rely on it's slain mobs fighting for you, I would put the ammo penalty from the current Assassin class on this one if you changed it. This will give the player a fighting chance for when a mega mob spawns on you late game.

Again, this is a case where I didn't have time to adequately test the class. I found it very easy going in WoA mode, but that was before I nerfed him to limit the max number of followers, and then I didn't test again after that.

I'm not sure what to do with this class, but I think there needs to be a guaranteed useful follower that can be summoned at any time (perhaps infinite dukebot that transfers a percentage of damage to the player, so when the bot gets hurt the player does too).

Thanks for all the feedback. I don't want to add additional classes until I have made the existing classes balanced and fun.

User is offline   Comreak 

Just some ideas regarding the Zookeeper class: it would be neat if you could direct cloned enemies around somehow, possibly with commands like 'stay,' 'defend me,' 'attack,' etc. If they got in the way, you could detonate them, possibly doing damage to nearby enemies, or maybe enhancing duke somehow with increased damage, health, or a shield. Also, regarding the infinite duke bot, you could have him mirror the real Duke's present abilities/weapon load-out somewhat.

Edit://Whoops, meant Zookeeper, not Tank.

This post has been edited by Comreak: 03 April 2013 - 10:12 PM

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostComreak, on 03 April 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Just some ideas regarding the tank class: it would be neat if you could direct cloned enemies around somehow, possibly with commands like 'stay,' 'defend me,' 'attack,' etc. If they got in the way, you could detonate them, possibly doing damage to nearby enemies, or maybe enhancing duke somehow with increased damage, health, or a shield.

Given the way the AI is written, doing what you suggest would be a lot of work, for something that most players wouldn't use. However, I could do a simplified version: pressing use on an allied monster would toggle it between stayput mode (stays in its current sector) and follow mode.

I think the TANK is cool for me, but I can't stand the speed penalty and sometimes it become the reason of get killed easily so after played about 15 missions and I decided "Fuck it, I want restart with default class.", feel sad. :)

I noticed sometimes when I use RPG and its level is 6-7 or more, the speed penalty doesn't applied properly on some conditions, you can run full speed on firing when that bug happens, but sadly, I can't find out how to reproduce it properly too, looks like randomly or something... :(

View PostTrooper Dan, on 03 April 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

You also get increased XP, which means you level your weapons a lot faster.

Yeah, I have to say, its drop rate is like a...bitch...:P
I can played about 20+ missions but only get it appears once, after that and completed some levels, I see two of them appears but I can only get one, and after 60 seconds after, I want take the second one but it just disappeared, make me heartbreak...... :)

(ROF is better but...still rarely see them...like when I got about 60 of +10% atomic bombs but no one of ROF or XP appears... what a bad luck of me... :P )

--

Ammo shortage did happens on High score challenge mode in 1.50 beta, I found it's more easy to run out of ammo even on default class... forced me to use kick attack on those powerful alt-pal-ed monsters...

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 04 April 2013 - 04:22 AM

Share this topic:

• 39 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options