Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

The Cycloid and Battlelord on HD look bad ass!

This post has been edited by Mike Norvak: 01 June 2015 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Posted Image

Anyone have this?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

First time I've ever heard of that.

User is offline   MrFlibble 

MrFlibble, on 13 March 2014 - 04:41 AM, said:

As a matter of fact, there are similar screenshot packs for Blood:

blud0696.zip
blud0796.zip
blud0896.zip
blud0996.zip
blud1096.zip
blud1196.zip
blud951115.zip

The Blood folder at 3D Action Gamers' Archive also contains a couple of videos too.

Currently the Wayback Machine allows to download files from the 3D Action Gamers' Archive again. There's also stuff for Prey too.

User is offline   DNSKILL5 

• Honored Donor

Hendricks266, on 11 June 2015 - 04:01 PM, said:

Anyone have this?

'NAM/Napalm was released outside of the US?

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

gerolf, on 12 June 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

'NAM/Napalm was released outside of the US?

Yeah, it was released in several countries, maybe even everywhere GT distributed the other games.

• Honored Donor

Was it only called Napalm when sold at Wal-Mart?

User is offline   Daedolon 

• Ancient Blood God

The Napalm copies were abundant in Europe (at least Finland), and I only ever saw the NAM versions when bundled with MIA.

User is offline   Joshua 

Leftover third person mode in Duke Nukem Total Meltdown:

http://i.imgur.com/UwzZFSi.png

http://i.imgur.com/Dls1kPR.png

It is functional, but it has some glitches. The frames for the player are messed up when it is used on a lot of the levels. This is noticeable when crouching, swimming, and jumping. The Butt-Kicking Zone's maps don't seem to be affected by this problem.

GameShark code:

800B1879 0001
800EC98A 0001

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I think I have not posted the Expander code, here it goes:

800EC958 000B
800EC950 0032

I modified some codes for ammo count and force the weapon selection, so it's not 100% but you can fire it.

User is offline   Fox 

Spoiler

• Weaponized Autism

Spot the similarity:

User is offline   ReaperMan 

Major Stryker still has better music.

User is offline   Lunick 

Someone make a mod that switches the music :)

• Honored Donor

Fox, on 21 June 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Spoiler

Was this guide made before the game was released? Are those map overlays different from the registered game?

User is offline   Fox 

The images are old, but I don't think the maps are.

• Weaponized Autism

A little 12-bar blues goes a long way.

Hmm, is the bar music in any way related to these two tracks?

• Weaponized Autism

I don't think so. Bar Music ("Mortail Wombat") is by Lee.

A while ago I was playing around with a programme called Executor, which is a now discontinued compatibility layer project to run Mac 68k applications on IBM PC compatible hardware. This programme has its drawbacks and not all Mac emulation features are supported, but unlike the vast majority of Mac emulators it does not require anything from Apple: no authentic Mac ROM image, no copy of MacOS etc, are needed to run Mac software.

I have found two different Mac 68k demo versions of Duke Nukem 3D: duke3d.sit.hqx and duke68kdemo.bin. Both run in Executor, however with some limitations.

I will not be describing the basic procedures of setting up Executor. Those can be found here. Duke Nukem 3D demo versions will not run if you just double-click the executable file. This may or may not have something to do with logos and intro animations shown at startup. To get the game running you need to use Cmd-click (hold Alt and double-click the executable) to bring up the startup options menu:
Posted Image
This is basically the equivalent of DOS command line options. From here, you can warp to any of the three demo levels. It seems that there was a Mac convention that a demo should have three levels. This holds true for other games such as Doom, Descent etc. Wolfenstein 3-D kind of circumvented that by making a shorter version of the shareware episode: you don't get the first three levels, you get level one, some intermediate level, and the boss battle. In Duke3D however, it's just E1L1 to E1L3.

When you warp to level 1, the game looks like this (it seems to always load default settings, although I'm not sure if this is because of some Executor limitations or a feature of the demo):
Posted Image
As many other Mac ports of DOS games, Duke3D runs by default in 640x400 mode vertically centred on a 640x480 screen. Additionally, it is capable of using scanlines to increase performance on slower machines. Scanlines can be turned off, and the game can also run in the usual 640x480 mode as well, which is identical to the DOS one. Additionally you can select 320x200 which will be centred on the 640x480 screen. Here's the graphics settings menu:
Posted Image
BTW, most control keys work as you'd expect on the DOS version. The menus however use Mac windows rather than menu lists drawn by the game itself, with the exception of the main menu:
Posted Image
The game uses the Atomic Edition font, but does not call itself Atomic Edition, because the Mac port already included all four episodes, having been released later than the vanilla DOS version.

Unlike the DOS shareware version, the Mac demo includes player AI in fake multiplayer mode, and you can set up a game with up to 8 players:
Posted Image

BTW, the Mac demo GRP file can be opened with Group File Studio, and I guess other tools as well. Executor will not run the cheat code-activated Mac 1984 commercial in E1L1 because there is no Quicktime support, but the other Mac cheat that changes the security cameras background will work fine.

If you want to try this out yourself, here's how to start the demo in Executor: Alt+double-click on the demo executable to bring up startup settings. Then press Shift+Alt+5 to open the Executor preferences menu for running the demo. Change Screen Updates to Animation, set Refresh to 5 and System to 7.0.0. Sound should be Pretend, and you can also select Newline Mapping (although I'm not sure if this affects anything). Click Save. The preferences menu will stay but you can just click the visible OK button on the demo options to start the demo. Next time you start it just Alt+double-click the executable and run the demo with the options you like.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

Neat. What does the high/medium/low detail option do? Obviously I'm aware of what it does in the DOS version, but the DOS version only had two settings.

User is offline   Fox 

MrFlibble, on 16 July 2015 - 02:28 AM, said:

A while ago I was playing around with a programme called Executor, which is a now discontinued compatibility layer project to run Mac 68k applications on IBM PC compatible hardware. This programme has its drawbacks and not all Mac emulation features are supported, but unlike the vast majority of Mac emulators it does not require anything from Apple: no authentic Mac ROM image, no copy of MacOS etc, are needed to run Mac software.

No files required and no long ass tutorial which anyone would eventually fail to make it work. :)

MrFlibble, on 16 July 2015 - 02:28 AM, said:

This is basically the equivalent of DOS command line options. From here, you can warp to any of the three demo levels. It seems that there was a Mac convention that a demo should have three levels. This holds true for other games such as Doom, Descent etc. Wolfenstein 3-D kind of circumvented that by making a shorter version of the shareware episode: you don't get the first three levels, you get level one, some intermediate level, and the boss battle. In Duke3D however, it's just E1L1 to E1L3.

That's quite not right. The first episode of the Mac version got the 30 levels of the Snes/Jaguar ports, and the boss is on the third level. So indeed it was just a third level demo. :D

This post has been edited by Fox: 16 July 2015 - 05:22 AM

TerminX, on 16 July 2015 - 02:45 AM, said:

Neat. What does the high/medium/low detail option do? Obviously I'm aware of what it does in the DOS version, but the DOS version only had two settings.

That's a good question. It appears that the Mac version indeed has three levels of detail settings:
  • Low:
    Spoiler

• Medium:
    Spoiler

• High:
    Spoiler

Additionally, on Low and Medium you can turn on scanlines, while on High scanlines are disabled.

Fox, on 16 July 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

That's quite not right. The first episode of the Mac version got the 30 levels of the Snes/Jaguar ports, and the boss is on the third level. So indeed it was just a third level demo. :)

Right, I forgot that.

Fox, on 16 July 2015 - 05:07 AM, said:

No files required and no long ass tutorial which anyone would eventually fail to make it work. :D

Not sure what you mean?

[Edit] Here's the MacDuke page at MacSoft website (Wayback Machine copy):
http://www.wizworks.com/macsoft/duke3d/duke_01.html

The description says,among other things:

SPECIAL FEATURES IN THE MAC VERSION
  • Digitally-recorded music
  • Switch keyboard layout on the fly
  • Record your own taunts
  • Play against Macs or PCs
  • Play head-to-head against any Mac via the Internet
  • Play over any Macintosh network
  • Switch screen resolution on the fly

I wonder what the music format is used in the Mac version, and if not CD Audio whether it can be extracted from the GRP.

[Edit 2] Here's a video of someone running the Mac version on a PowerMac:
https://youtu.be/KkvAEAq4oto?t=6m12s

Unlike the demo, the full version apparently calls itself Atomic Edition in the main menu. Also notice that the menu allows to go up to 1024x768 resolution, while the demo is locked at 640x480 max (although this might be because this is the Mac 68k demo and not the PowerMac demo). The list of possible resolutions depends on the resolution of the monitor, which can also be set in the graphics options - at least, in the newer demo (v1.2):
Spoiler

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 16 July 2015 - 08:04 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

MAC version has MIDI in it, I think it either uses some Quicktime libraries to do that (Like it probably uses it for the hidden video in E1L1) or their own playroutine.
I remember seeing some samples somewhere when I last had a look.

Should fire mine up again actually.

Low: 4x4
Medium: 2x2
High: 1x1
it's a nice novelty feature to stretch the image by padding with scanlines instead of pixel doubling in Y.

Doom had something similar where it halved X resolution instead (as 320 -> 160 instead of 200/240 -> 100/120).

EDIT: Managed to find the full version of this. Seems that it has a rich selection of MP options and the config file has mentions of "two scren mode", I guess this was mean that you could have left/right/rear viewports mapped to other screens. Kinda cool.

This post has been edited by oasiz: 18 July 2015 - 02:21 PM

Found a couple more videos on YouTube showing actual Mac gameplay:

It seems that only the demo versions do not have the word(s) Atomic (Edition) in the title.

Also it seems from the videos that Executor pretty accurately reproduces how the game plays on actual Mac hardware, sans sounds and the intro sequence that is.

• Weaponized Autism

I only recently realized that XXX-Stacy is pronounced "Triple Ecstacy".

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Thanks for the insight. :) Had no clue myself.

This post has been edited by Sgt. Rarity: 03 August 2015 - 09:31 AM

User is offline   Richard Shead 

• "Dick Nasty"

Hendricks266, on 02 August 2015 - 09:30 PM, said:

I only recently realized that XXX-Stacy is pronounced "Triple Ecstacy".

Posted Image

User is offline   MetHy 

Fox, on 15 April 2015 - 01:46 PM, said:

According to the magazine, Ministry of Fear is based on "Beverly Hills VIII" (I am not sure if that's movie, TV series or place, possibly an alternate name in French). Independence Day and Aliens is also mentioned as the inspiration for the new levels, which probably refers to Alien Rendezvous. So that's good to know.

Edit: The magazine mentions there are 6 new levels in the PSX version, however there are 7 in the final version if you including Quirk of Fate. And Quirk of Fate should count, since the magazine mentions the game has a total of 44 levels, which is only possible if you include Butt Kicking Zone. But if you include Butt Kicking Zone it makes a total of 45 levels. So one level was not made yet, which was Trackside Tragedy, Gates Motel or Quirk of Fate.

It says "six" at the top right of the second page, but in the text it says "around ten" (he uses a word that's like "dozen" except for the number 10, no equivalent in English)

Basically this is just another "video game reviewer" talking out of his ass because he didn't play the game.

I've never heard of Beverly Hills VIII. At first I was thinking of that old TV show with teenagers and young adults in Beverly Hills, but that must not be it since the writer of the article says "Joe Le Porc" (Joe The Pig) has a caricature in the level.

edit :

Fox, on 05 April 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

This one says they only played a "a one level demo, first level of the game, and there was 11 weapons in it". It also says the N64 version should have "Lightsourcing" "mip-mapping" "anti-aliasing" and "lightsourcing" again. he also keeps calling it "Duke Nuke'm"

This one says the PS1 version has 44 maps total, including 11 exclusive ones. It also says there is a quicksave option (not sure if this is true, i never played the PS1 version)

This one says DN3D is a lot better than Hexen because Hexen wasn't innovative and was pretty much a "medieval Doom". It also says DN3D uses a "3D engine".

I wonder how 3DRealms/GT Interactive paid those reviewers. Actual hookers, perhaps?

This post has been edited by MetHy: 04 August 2015 - 05:35 AM

User is offline   Fox 

Thanks for the translations.

MetHy, on 04 August 2015 - 05:15 AM, said:

It says "six" at the top right of the second page, but in the text it says "around ten" (he uses a word that's like "dozen" except for the number 10, no equivalent in English)

Basically this is just another "video game reviewer" talking out of his ass because he didn't play the game.

I've never heard of Beverly Hills VIII. At first I was thinking of that old TV show with teenagers and young adults in Beverly Hills, but that must not be it since the writer of the article says "Joe Le Porc" (Joe The Pig) has a caricature in the level.

I already realized they took that info from the poster on the wall (which was removed in the final version). The poster itself is a parody of Beverly Hills Cop with Eddie Murphy. They are probably wrong about the level being based on that movie.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options