Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

One could possibly assume Sewage Company is the unreleased Levelord Map "Sweeny", and The Sewers Below to be "Sewer". Just speculation however.

Another point of interest is that the first level of Zero Hour is called Mean Streets.

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Episode 1 didn't changed anything other than names.

Episode 2 is missing two levels. Since the space levels names are kinda generic, I don't see why suppose there is some kind of unreleased level there.

Episode 3 is more complicated.

S.P.E.R.M. BANK is Bank Roll, RTD Subway is Rabit Transit, that's ok.

I Suppose "ALIEN" is Stadium.

APOGEE ARMS HOTEL is Hotel Hell?

SEWAGE COMPANY and THE SEWERS BELOW are Seweeney and Sewer. Something to do with Flood Zone?

The only one that fit "POSTAL" is L.A. Rumble, because there are lot of maps in the office.

Is "3 9" some reference to a USA street or something?

"SANTA MONICA PIER"? A beach like map? Or this is Flood Zone?

Raw Meat, Movie Set, Fahrenheit. Are they all missing?

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

View PostIlovefoxes, on Oct 22 2009, 11:14 AM, said:

Is "3 9" some reference to a USA street or something?

More likely it was a temporary name given to the 9th level defined for episode 3 (3 9, get it?)

User is offline   SwissCm 

View PostIlovefoxes, on Oct 23 2009, 04:14 AM, said:

The only one that fit "POSTAL" is L.A. Rumble, because there are lot of maps in the office.

Postal is most likely just E4L6 (Going Postal). A few of the Atomic Edition maps are made up from leftovers.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Yes. There are portions from Derelict in LameDuke.

Yes, as demonstrated at 4:58 in my video; http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oHeLVKwXbNE - I kind of liked the old design better.

I'm wondering if Santa Monica Pier was the level before Derelict, or another of the water related levels in Lameduke.

User is offline   Fox 

Do you know that if you thrown a Pipebomb in space it will float?

Do you know that if you actually hit "Duke car" with a RPG it will be thrown back?

User is offline   Fox 

Critical Mass level was changed in XBLA version. A way is closed in middle of the level, making it impossible to procede. Them they reutilized an multiplayer teleport to open after the passage is blocked.

Special Xbox 360 Cooperative Note:

When we were developing the Xbox LIVE Arcade version of Duke 3D, one of the things we looked at in detail was co-operative play. More specifically, whether or not the original level construction would leave you stuck with no way out. We spent a lot of time looking for this, and found only one place where this was possible. It was in Critical Mass with the spiral stairs shown here. During the normal single player path, going up the spiral staircase would cause them (and the room at the top) to collapse, leaving you with no way to get back. This is a non issue in single player, but in Co-Op play, we discovered a problem.

In Co-Op, if you got past the collapsing stairs, and then died, you would get taken back to the start of the level. The problem with that is that now the stairs are already collapsed, and you were stuck - there was no way to get past the stairs in Co-Op.

We examined the map data, and discovered that in Dukematch play, this map had special map data so that when the stairs were down, there was a way around. In Dukematch, there is a switch on the wall that was not there in single player or Co-Op originally which would open up a teleport and let you bypass the collapsed stairs. The decision was made to alter the original map data for this instance. We changed the map so that when you played Co-Op, this teleport was also available to you. It is NOT available in single player, and this is the only instance in the entire game when we went back and changed existing map structure for the Xbox LIVE Arcade version. Otherwise you'd get stuck.

Posted Image

• Weaponized Autism

Has anyone been able to get into the XBLA data yet?

User is offline   NNC 

Just had a thought about the 2nd Duke3d episode, when I watched the level names of the old beta con file.

It said the ep. started with 3 moonbase levels, then 2 space stations then a power station. I assume the power station is either Lunar Reactor or Warp Factor. This order doesn't make sense at first, but at second it can be close to some reality.

IMO Spaceport fits well as the 1st level of the episode. Then after reaching the transport, we travel to the Tiberius Station moonbase level. Then we got into Lunar Reactor and Dark Side. From Dark Side we teleport into an alien site, then into Occuppied Territory. After the Battlelord ending, we fall into the Overlord level. Fusion Station fits as a secret level, has no keycards etc., and can be reached from the well known area of Dark Side. Both level finish similarly, just that Dark Side is filled up with water.

It would make sense for several reasons:

1. The 7 AHB levels look very coherent, while the Levelord levels has an entire different atmosphere. The AHB levels consistently use the same door sounds, the same textures, while Incubator and Warp Factor are very different (actually these levels are coherent with each other too...)

2. I always thought the episode slowed down and got easier when I reached Tiberius Station. Fusion Station and esp. Occ. Territory were difficult levels and had pre-boss feeling. I felt that I started a new episode with Tib. Station.

3. There are no link between Warp Factor and Fusion Station. How did I get from that power bunker to a large alienated area?

My fictional order of E2 would be:

L1: Spaceport
L2: Tiberius Station
L3: Lunar Reactor
L4: Dark Side
Secret Level: Fusion Station
L5: Occuppied Territory
L6: Overlord

Just my 2 cents. <_<

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=GUIx628Bxxw

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

• Glory To Motherland!

Duke Nukem 3D is chock-full of unused textures and sprites... some of them are still coded into the game. The one that interests me most of all is the flamethrower pipe that comes out of the floor, like the one found in Rise Of The Triad. Then we all know about the "organic turret", which can be destroyed but does absolutely nothing (it reminds me of those annoying winged creatures in Time To Kill). Also, I get the impression from the enemies and the .CON definitions that DN3D was supposed to be a LOT like Duke Nukem II in structure and inventory.

I think the developers knew better than to put in a sewer level (part of me wishes they did, it would have fit really well with the theme of episode 1).

Not counting the Levelord's contributions, George Broussard apparently constructed E4L3, Shop 'n Bag. How that man could construct anything besides a deficit the size of Chicago is beyond me.

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Mar 27 2010, 03:19 AM, said:

Not counting the Levelord's contributions, George Broussard apparently constructed E4L3, Shop 'n Bag. How that man could construct anything besides a deficit the size of Chicago is beyond me.

I still think it was all Levelord's work and none of George's, but thats just me.

User is offline   NNC 

I think the most levelordish level of The Birth is XXX Stacy. Apparently, he said it was originally his work too, with the name "Stacy's XXX".

Also, anyone noticed the skill setting error in Sewer and Sweeney? I think those levels did use 5 skill settings like it was intended in the early stages of Duke. The Let's Rock skill can be played on Piece of Cake and such. Both maps have some minor bugs as well, like floating hydrant in Sewer, or incorrect tagging of ambient sound in Sweeney. You can also cheat if you jump down the vents, and can ignore the majority of the levels. Also one of the Octa's in Sweeney is flat. That underwater part look terrible anyway.

User is offline   SwissCm 

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Mar 27 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

Then we all know about the "organic turret", which can be destroyed but does absolutely nothing (it reminds me of those annoying winged creatures in Time To Kill). Also, I get the impression from the enemies and the .CON definitions that DN3D was supposed to be a LOT like Duke Nukem II in structure and inventory.

The organic turret actually kinda works with the 0.99 Beta. It spits the same stuff the lizman does.

View PostThe Mighty Bison, on Mar 27 2010, 12:19 AM, said:

I think the developers knew better than to put in a sewer level (part of me wishes they did, it would have fit really well with the theme of episode 1).

Well, 2 sewer levels (one complete and the other unfinished) were made by Levellord. They weren't too bad. He's released them so you can check them out if you want.

User is offline   NNC 

Judging the level names of E3, the original order might have been:

Hotel Hell
Bank Roll (SPERM Bank is a lot cooler title)
Sweeney
Sewer
Rabid Transit
Going Postal
Babe Land (probably)
Overlord

User is offline   Fox 

View PostNancsi, on Mar 26 2010, 12:57 PM, said:

I think the most levelordish level of The Birth is XXX Stacy. Apparently, he said it was originally his work too, with the name "Stacy's XXX".

Also, anyone noticed the skill setting error in Sewer and Sweeney? I think those levels did use 5 skill settings like it was intended in the early stages of Duke. The Let's Rock skill can be played on Piece of Cake and such. Both maps have some minor bugs as well, like floating hydrant in Sewer, or incorrect tagging of ambient sound in Sweeney. You can also cheat if you jump down the vents, and can ignore the majority of the levels. Also one of the Octa's in Sweeney is flat. That underwater part look terrible anyway.
Well, yeah, Sewer use 4th skill enemies (which does not exist in version 1.3)

User is offline   Marcos 

http://www.youtube.com/watchv=22JLLVaFI9Q&...feature=related
I've been working on this mod since last year!!
http://img169.images....php?g=odn1.png
http://img683.images....us/i/odn2.png/
http://img169.images....us/i/odn1.png/

User is offline   NNC 

View PostFox, on Mar 27 2010, 03:16 PM, said:

Well, yeah, Sewer use 4th skill enemies (which does not exist in version 1.3)

Another thing I noticed that both maps use only 4 types of monsters (well, Sweeney has 2 commanders at the end). Possibly at this stage when the maps were abandoned, other enemies haven't created yet. Octabrains are really overused in Sweeney, while Pigs were overused in the upper part of Sewer. I always thought it would be great if LL make an updated version about the maps, I will contact him in the near future about it, maybe he can find some time to it. <_<

• Weaponized Autism

Some other notable unused... things are the Scorpion Tank, impaled babe, lava bubble, and space suit. James did some research on v1.0 a few years back over on AMC and the spacesuit actually worked. I wish we could get our hands on a registered version of v0.99 or v1.0, but none exist.

In v0.99, I was actually able to trigger the registered weapons after entering DNSTUFF. Before the released full versions, there was going to be a flamethrower and/or laser. The freezer was not conceived yet. The laser/flamethrower, although lacking art in the beta, made a lot of SHOTSPARK1 effects appear everywhere.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 27 March 2010 - 11:47 AM

User is offline   Marcos 

View PostHendricks266, on Mar 27 2010, 11:40 AM, said:

Some other notable unused... things are the Scorpion Tank, impaled babe, lava bubble, and space suit. James did some research on v1.0 a few years back over on AMC and the spacesuit actually worked. I wish we could get our hands on a registered version of v0.99 or v1.0, but none exist.

In v0.99, I was actually able to trigger the registered weapons after entering DNSTUFF. Before the released full versions, there was going to be a flamethrower and/or laser. The freezer was not conceived yet. The laser/flamethrower, although lacking art in the beta, made a lot of SHOTSPARK1 effects appear everywhere.

The flamethrower makes 6 SHOTSPARK1 effects appear!! In my mod I use the growspark projectile to be the flamethrower one ( THROWFLAME )!!
When the throwflame hits the enemy, it creates a very interest effect, it appears another sprite behing the monster with pal 4, trasparent and changing it size!! I've been trying to make this effect in the MOD but it's very difficult!!

All this talk of the flamethrower and space-suit is making me remember that Duke was supposed to have a Laser Chainsaw in his arsenal. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read this.

There were several HUD designs used over time
Posted ImagePosted Image
a different diving suit
Posted Image
a screenshot with the space suit exists, but the art seen was not present in v0.99, yet this build seems to be older, which could mean they were already removing it at that point.
Posted Image
E1L1 has a different carpet
Posted Image
The shrinker works here, but did not work for me in v0.99
Posted Image
If the freezer wasn't concieved yet, when is this build from? And what's that at the bottom left, an old army style flashlight (Anglehead)?
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
The above right-most image is taken from lameduke's L6.MAP when run in EDuke32. Sham they didn't have that babe in the LameDuke version <_<

This post has been edited by High Treason: 27 March 2010 - 05:49 PM

• Weaponized Autism

The freezer art was originally used for the flamethrower.

The spacesuit art was probably not in v0.99 or v1.0 for the same reason art of weapons, enemies, etc. not in episode 1 are not in the shareware art.

Could that shrunken LameDuke enemy be in the E1L4 room with the wall shrinker?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 27 March 2010 - 02:33 PM

User is offline   ReaperMan 

View PostHigh Treason, on Mar 27 2010, 05:49 PM, said:

Posted Image

Does that freezer look a bit less gritty then the normal version to anyone else or is that just me?

I think it probably looks closer to the original model, seeing as the game's entire palette was changed at some point. I have added a comparison image using the freezethrower from 1.3-1.5, using the 1.3 palette and art.

Whilst messing with this I found that Coke uses the tile that Access Cards do in released builds.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 27 March 2010 - 05:51 PM

User is offline   Rellik 

That babe looks a lot like the babe on the poster used in the jail cell in Death Row.

User is offline   Fox 

Was this supposed to be the flamethrower projectile?

Posted Image

Freezer sprite was designed for the "laser chainsaw"

Posted Image

I don't know about that being the flamethrower projectile... I doubt it is, but who knows? That chainsaw would have been awesome, but I guess I can see why they didn't use it.
Anyway, couple things I forgot to add;
O4.MAP in lameduke has 2 areas that are not normally accessible, there isn't much there, but if multiplayer was possible, the other palyers would start in the last area (the one with stacked sprite floors).
Posted ImagePosted Image
I've never managed to access this in-game until now, it's L9.MAP, turns out that it is in map format four, as is M8.MAP, possibly making them the oldest maps in existence - M8.MAP bares striking resemblance to the final level of Episode 2 in the final builds, but I didn't include a pic as it seems to work in lameduke. L9 looks a lot like Ken Silverman's old test level, you know, that hole you couldn't jump out of? It is probably built on top of it.
Posted Image

LameDuke also appears to support the sector copy and paste that Shadow Warrior used, as well as multi-story elevators (Press A or Z at the same time as use to select direction) and other weird SE tricks that I haven't played with yet.

User is offline   Roma Loom 

• Loomsday Device

I drooled upon them freezer/laser chainsaw sketches •_•

• Weaponized Autism

Legend of the Seven Paladins also used version 4.

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options