Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

Jump to content

Hide message Show message
Welcome to the Duke4.net Forums!

Register an account now to get access to all board features. After you've registered and logged in, you'll be able to create topics, post replies, send and receive private messages, disable the viewing of ads and more!

  • 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is online   TerminX 

  • el fundador

  #91

Maybe it's a little rocket thruster so Duke can turn when he has the jetpack on... hahahaha.
0

#92

I always thought it was an old anglehead torch, like this one.

I thought I already mentioned this somewhere... Wait, I did, here.
0

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #93

View PostReaperMan, on Jun 1 2010, 12:49 AM, said:

I don't know if anyone is aware this yet but you can now use USBs on the xbox 360, meaning you can probably peak at the changes made to the xbla port of Duke Nukem 3D.

Speaking of the XBLA port...

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 07 June 2010 - 10:29 AM

0

#94

I'm just wondering. Why sentry drones are so rare in episode 4? AFAIK they only appear twice (once in the first level's dark room, and there is a single one in XXX stacy)... Were they aware of fans who didn't like this enemy, or the sound error which was a general problem with them in the Win 95 days resulted it? Or the level designers simply forgot to put them in their levels?

Random question, I know, but this bugs me since 1997. LOL.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 20 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#95

I was always annoyed by the sentry placement in episodes 2 and 3. I actually thought the placement was far too liberal. Turn a corner, open a fast-moving door, and bam; sentry to the face. But I don't think the placement would have been cut down to make the levels less annoying, because there are still a lot of Battlelord Jrs in episode 4 to fight (at least one on every level starting from Babe Land, save for Critical Mass).
0

#96

Scanning through the original levels in Mapster, there are a couple of interesting finds. Not neccessarily new, but may worth a mention in this thread.

1. In Red Light District, there is an respawn sprite, which may spawn a Reconcar. However this is buggy (until it was more or less fixed in DukePlus), and the Reconcar doesn't appear. However you can't complete the level due to this with maximum kill, it always shows at least 1 missed enemy.

2. There are many red (pal 21) Liztroop respawns in the game, but they appear green in the end (fixed in DukePlus as well). It's strange they didn't betatest such things.

3. There are many unused respawns in the game without another tagged touchplate or keycard. In Red Light Disrtict one of the babes have the wrong lotag number, therefore she can be killed without spawning a liztroop (a red one btw.)
Also in Warp Factor, I found at least 4 more unused Sentry Drone respawn sprites, two of them should have been connected to the blue keycard, the other two with the 4 lizmen in the big room (with the commanders and battlelord).
In Bank Roll, there is a big number of respawns too, possibly intended to occur after getting back from the red key area to the red key door.

This post has been edited by Nancsi: 25 July 2010 - 01:14 AM

0

User is offline   Nukey 

#97

View PostNancsi, on Jul 25 2010, 02:11 AM, said:

Also in Warp Factor, I found at least 4 more unused Sentry Drone respawn sprites, two of them should have been connected to the blue keycard, the other two with the 4 lizmen in the big room (with the commanders and battlelord).


I remember coming across those when I was comparing the map for the Duke64 mod. You may also be interested to know that there are 4 cameras in the map (Lo-Tag 310) which are not linked to any viewscreens.

This post has been edited by Nukey: 01 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

0

#98

View PostNukey, on Jul 26 2010, 06:02 AM, said:

I remember coming across those when I was comparing the map for the Duke64 mod. You may also be interested to know that there are 4 cameras in the map (Lo-Tag 310) which are not linked to any viewscreens.


Wow, gotta fix these.
0

#99

Actually I found 7(!) unused cameras in Warp Factor. One is tagged with 315, and it should be linked to the viewscreen in the control room where you can unlock the forcefield. In this case you can see how the sentry drone collapse at you from outdoors, lol.

The others are more interesting, they came in pairs. There are 2x1 in the red machine rooms, there are 2x1 in the big "outside" area with the miniboss, commander, and 2x1 in the dark area where you can open the windows. The left one of the pair is tagged with 312, the right one with 310. Since many of these locations are respawn fest, they should be seen in viewscreens in the big secret area, or the mirror room with the other viewsceen (where the masses of enemies, incl. the miniboss are spawn). But that's just a speculation.

Hopefully this nonsense wasn't that confusing. :D
0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#100

Should these things be fixed in maphacks or should we leave them as they are?
0

User is offline   Nukey 

#101

View PostNancsi, on Jul 26 2010, 04:03 AM, said:

Actually I found 7(!) unused cameras in Warp Factor. One is tagged with 315, and it should be linked to the viewscreen in the control room where you can unlock the forcefield. In this case you can see how the sentry drone collapse at you from outdoors, lol.

The others are more interesting, they came in pairs. There are 2x1 in the red machine rooms, there are 2x1 in the big "outside" area with the miniboss, commander, and 2x1 in the dark area where you can open the windows. The left one of the pair is tagged with 312, the right one with 310. Since many of these locations are respawn fest, they should be seen in viewscreens in the big secret area, or the mirror room with the other viewsceen (where the masses of enemies, incl. the miniboss are spawn). But that's just a speculation.

Hopefully this nonsense wasn't that confusing. :D


Aha you're right, although I seem to have counted 8... there is another Lo-Tag 310 camera at the beginning of the map.

Any other maps with unlinked cameras?
0

#102

View PostNukey, on Jul 26 2010, 03:48 PM, said:

Aha you're right, although I seem to have counted 8... there is another Lo-Tag 310 camera at the beginning of the map.

Any other maps with unlinked cameras?


Thanks. I found it. Anyway, I "fixed" these things with modifying the lotags on the unused drones, also added two security viewscreens, where you can follow the misadventures of the recently spawn enemies. Actually it looks pretty fun.

I still don't know if these are deliberate leftovers or just plain laziness. I also found one unused R (liztroop) in Toxic Dump, in the main shrinker area.
0

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #103

It's impossible to "fix" these with maphacks, and they shouldn't be fixed with maphacks because that's not their purpose. Maphacks are designed for adding to or fixing superficial visual components of the map.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 July 2010 - 10:49 AM

0

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #104

http://hendricks266..../leejackson.php

Would you all kindly look this over?
0

User is offline   Spitfire '15 

  • Zionist Shill

#105

Looks good. ;)
0

User is offline   Gambini 

#106

The other day i watched Top Secret, a comic movie from 1984 that most of you surely know. Well, at the beginning of the movie, when Rivers is taking the train to East Germany, they cross the "frontier" and guards ask for the passports, in the meanwhile they look outside the train how somebody carrying a bag is executed THERE that sound is exactly the same sound that plays everytime you trigger the revolver in Redneck Rampage. And im pretty sure this movie was out at least 13 years earlier than the game.

It looks more like both sound engineers took the sound from the same source rather than a ripoff, but i found this terribly curious.
0

User is offline   Inspector Lagomorf 

  • Glory To Motherland!

#107

The usage of stock sounds has been prevalent in both movies and video games. If you compare Duke Nukem 3D, DooM, Shadow Warrior, and every other FPS for that matter, you are bound to find sounds that are either similar or completely equal.
0

User is offline   Skulldog 

#108

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 14 2010, 04:58 PM, said:

http://hendricks266..../leejackson.php

Would you all kindly look this over?


Was he one of the Jackson 5 ?
0

#109

Gambini said:

somebody carrying a bag is executed THERE that sound is exactly the same sound that plays everytime you trigger the revolver in Redneck Rampage.


The one I always notice is when the truck goes off the ledge at the end of "Duel" (A film from the 1970's) you can clearly hear the Battlelord sound playing, you never see the driver in the movie so my theory is that Mr. Mann was being chased down by the aliens because he knew Duke Nukem's weakness or something, hehehe. Actually... I have heard that same sound in quite a few movies.

As The Mighty Bison said, stock sounds, basically you buy a disc with loads of sound effects on, chances are they bought the same ones (perhaps it was cheap?) for various projects. I also heard a few effects from Shadow Warrior in a movie a few days ago, I think it was a martial arts film. Strangely I don't remember running into any sounds from Blood, I have a feeling quite a few were made by the dev studio for that one.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 16 August 2010 - 10:35 PM

0

User is offline   Helixhorned 

  • EDuke32 Senior Developer

#110

Some monsters, at least the liztroop and the commander, can be frozen while unshrinking, producing medium-sized versions.

Setting the lotag of a masked wall (cstat & 16) to a nonzero value will exclude this wall from being "usable". This makes it possible to construct doors which open from only one side since the masking can be circumvented by setting overpicnum to an empty tile.

View PostHendricks266, on Aug 14 2010, 10:58 PM, said:

http://hendricks266..../leejackson.php

Would you all kindly look this over?

Has Lee Jackson replied? Those three midis sound interesting.
0

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #111

Today I discovered that the SW beta's SW.RTS contains clips from Full Metal Jacket.

View PostHelixhorned, on Sep 12 2010, 04:00 PM, said:

Has Lee Jackson replied? Those three midis sound interesting.

Nope. Somebody try to find email addresses for him, I've already tried three with delivery failure on two.
0

User is offline   engineer 

#112

View PostHigh Treason, on Aug 17 2010, 01:34 AM, said:

The one I always notice is when the truck goes off the ledge at the end of "Duel" (A film from the 1970's) you can clearly hear the Battlelord sound playing, you never see the driver in the movie so my theory is that Mr. Mann was being chased down by the aliens because he knew Duke Nukem's weakness or something, hehehe. Actually... I have heard that same sound in quite a few movies.

As The Mighty Bison said, stock sounds, basically you buy a disc with loads of sound effects on, chances are they bought the same ones (perhaps it was cheap?) for various projects. I also heard a few effects from Shadow Warrior in a movie a few days ago, I think it was a martial arts film. Strangely I don't remember running into any sounds from Blood, I have a feeling quite a few were made by the dev studio for that one.


Royalty free sounds are quite common in games. Gearbox used libraries from "Sound Ideas" for Brothers in Arms, and I suspect that id Software and 3DR also used their stuff for their titles.
0

User is online   Hendricks266 

  • Weaponized Autism

  #113

As I am dumping the sounds used from the game's maps, I noticed that some have corruption. They're not alone, I know a couple of maps from Caribbean and NW have corruption as well.

Loaded map /E1L1.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L2.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L2.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L3.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L4.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L5.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L6.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L7.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E1L8.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L1.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L2.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L3.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L4.MAP (moderate corruption)
Loaded map /E2L5.MAP successfully
#1: WALL[1375].NEXTWALL=1308 out of .NEXTSECTOR=199's bounds [1304 .. 1307]
suggest setting wall[1375].nextsector to 200
-- corruption level: 4
Loaded map /E2L6.MAP (HEAVY corruption)
Loaded map /E2L7.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L8.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L9.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L10.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E2L11.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L1.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L2.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L3.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L4.MAP (moderate corruption)
Loaded map /E3L5.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L6.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L7.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L8.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L9.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L10.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E3L11.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L1.MAP (moderate corruption)
Loaded map /E4L2.MAP (moderate corruption)
Loaded map /E4L3.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L4.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L5.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L6.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L7.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L8.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L9.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L10.MAP successfully
Loaded map /E4L11.MAP successfully

View PostHelixhorned, on 12 September 2010 - 01:00 PM, said:

Has Lee Jackson replied? Those three midis sound interesting.

I finally got in contact with him last week. He basically answered "None that will be distributed." to all the questions, and he didn't know the answer to the DEV\SW\MIDI question.

He said that itsgreen.mid and graf.mid were internal tests that, again, "will not be distributed." He didn't know anything about myrtle.mid, which leads me to believe that Bobby Prince is the person to ask about it.
0

User is offline   Rellik 

#114

Oddly enough I know about myrtle.mid. Definitely done by Bobby Prince, he used to have it on his website. It's full name is "Myrtle Come Back!" (say it out loud, it phonetically sounds like "Mortal Kombat") I think it may have been used in Xenophage.
0

User is offline   DavoX 

  • Honored Donor

#115

Looking at this thread reminded me that Randy Pitchford got credited for Pigsty when the real author is Levelord.
0

#116

Didn't like that level anyway. I didn't really like any of the episode 4 levels. Episode 3 is my favorite, level 2 is the top :)

This post has been edited by rasmus thorup: 18 July 2011 - 04:29 PM

0

User is offline   Micky C 

  • Honored Donor

#117

Are you kidding? Pigsty was one of the best levels in episode 4! Fun, chock full of awesome references (die hard, terminator to name a few.)
0

User is offline   Fox 

  • Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

#118

Episode 4 is pretty fun up to level 6. After that the levels are quite boring. Derelict is pretty well done, but too big.
0

User is offline   ReaperMan 

#119

I have a great fact: Duke Nukem ages backwards... just look at him from 3D and then Forever! He's younger!
0

User is offline   Jim Rockford 

  • Banned on Rigel

#120

Many of the maps in E4 were done by Levelord, but he was discredited because he left 3DR. I know Shop-n-Bag, Pigsty, and XXX Stacy were his maps. According to him Shop-n-Bag was a much better level before he left and it was modified (it was also called Shop-n-Drop before he left.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 18 July 2011 - 07:05 PM

0

Share this topic:


  • 46 Pages +
  • « First
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic


All copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners. Instead of reading this text, you could be playing Ion Fury! ;) © 2019 Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password


Sign in options