Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Does anyone know how Shop 'n' Bag was modified? Because I didn't like that level very much, and I loved Levelord's other work. I'm guessing I would have preferred the original level.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

He never mentioned how, but he did say that the only difference between his Pigsty and the released one was that the hanging jury guys were originally just the hung monks. My personal guess is that all the lame stuff near the end of Shop-n-Bag is what wasn't his work. The map feels like it ends pretty suddenly around the store-room.

Also, Rellik, you are correct, I just looked at the Xenophage midis, there is one called Myrtle Come Back and given the circumstances it's very unlikely to be a coincidence. Thanks for clearing that up! This midi also goes along with that cheesy shit 3DR was doing for music around the time of RoTT. You can check out the midis from Xenophage here.

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 18 July 2011 - 07:06 PM

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Does anyone know where I can find Duke Nukem 3D Shareware v1.2?

from Duke 3D v1.3D Shareware:

* Why version 1.3D and not 1.2? There was a minor leak of version 1.2, so we bumped the version number. V1.2 is NOT official and if you have it, delete it, it's illegal, and get v1.3D.

I tried searching for it once, and I found some malware. :(

This is probably a lost cause, but it might be interesting to look for this version. There shouldn't be anything interesting in it, so it would only serve to bridge a gap in version numbers.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 18 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

• Weaponized Autism

In the Duke 3D source release, it appears that GAME.C in extras/ is newer than GAME.C in source/. The former even has a v1.5 version number.

User is offline   Helixhorned 

• EDuke32 Developer

Some VOC sounds contain embedded text strings, here's a full list of those in the 1.5 GRP.

sound #22 (ITEM_SPLASH, splash.voc): WETFT01
sound #43 (DUKE_WALKINDUCTS, ductwlk.voc):
sound #48 (DUKE_UNDERWATER, scuba.voc):
sound #61 (LIZARD_BEG, chokn12.voc):
sound #75 (SUBWAY, subway.voc):
sound #76 (SWITCH_ON, switch.voc):
sound #79 (FLUSH_TOILET, flush.voc):
sound #81 (EARTHQUAKE, quake.voc):
sound #84 (ENGINE_OPERATING, onboard.voc):
sound #85 (REACTOR_ON, reactor.voc):
sound #110 (PRED_ROAM, roam06.voc): bears0
sound #111 (PRED_RECOG, predrg.voc): bears0
sound #114 (PRED_DYING, preddy.voc): diehi0
sound #115 (CAPT_ROAM, predrm.voc): bgdth
sound #117 (CAPT_RECOG, predrg.voc): bears0
sound #119 (CAPT_DYING, preddy.voc): diehi0
sound #120 (PIG_ROAM, roam29.voc): GORILLA; active0
sound #156 (BOS1_WALK, thud.voc): fstep9
sound #158 (THUD, thud.voc): fstep9
sound #159 (OCTA_ATTACK2, octaat2.voc):
sound #171 (GENERIC_AMBIENCE2, enghum.voc): hover1
sound #204 (PRED_ROAM2, roam58.voc): demon1
sound #205 (PIG_ROAM2, roam67.voc): jaguar0
sound #213 (NITEVISION_ONOFF, goggle12.voc): scifi
sound #215 (DUKE_CRACK_FIRST, knuckle.voc):
sound #246 (SHRINKER_HIT, thud.voc): fstep9
sound #251 (DUKE_TALKTOBOSSFALL, DIESOB03.voc):
sound #255 (DRON_JETSND, ENGHUM.VOC): hover1
sound #315 (ACTOR_GROWING, enlarge.voc): Enlarg10 - Stretched

The bold ones are pretty interesting and surprising (unless you're maintaining a zoo).
* Edited to contain file name, too.

• Weaponized Autism

Interesting! That could provide a bit of help for anyone trying to build a sound effects pack from the same sound bank 3DR used, like this one for Doom: http://www.perkristi..._doom-sfx.shtml

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 29 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

User is offline   MrFlibble 

View PostHendricks266, on 18 July 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

Does anyone know where I can find Duke Nukem 3D Shareware v1.2?

from Duke 3D v1.3D Shareware:

I tried searching for it once, and I found some malware. :)

This is probably a lost cause, but it might be interesting to look for this version. There shouldn't be anything interesting in it, so it would only serve to bridge a gap in version numbers.

I think I've read somewhere that Joe Siegler confirmed that there was actually never a 1.2 version, they just gave the full version release the 1.3D number exactly because of the "3D" part in it. I'm not sure where this info is from though, maybe it's the Apogee FAQ or maybe something that was posted in the official 3D Realms' forums.

[Edit] Here you go, the info is from the Apogee FAQ:

- Duke Nukem 3D versions 1.2, 1.3, 1.3a, 1.3b, and 1.3c never existed.
Jumping to the 1.3d version number was just a joke on the part of the
developers.

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 01 April 2012 - 12:04 PM

I assume we're OK to bump this thread right? Seems silly to make a new one as this was supposed to be all misc knowledge in one place.

I had a shareware disk with "V1.2" on it, but as far as I remember it was identical to the V1.1 version then available on Apogee1.com so I suspect it was just a silly hack of the EXE, though I do seem to remember using the shrinker somehow and the game freezing, probably a similar bootleg idea to the "V1.7" version that floated around Usenet for a while.

Speaking of unauthorised hacking, I discovered an old pirate/shovelware cd's - don't worry, I legally own all the games on there by this point as I since went out and bought them. Anyway, there's all the main titles on the disk with some weird installer (has a nice scripting language, I've even used the installer for my own stuff before) and then there's a "MIXTURE" folder full of all kinds of things, lists of BBS's, Free Trials of defunct internet providers and stuff, in amongst them, I found something I remember from a long time ago. A hack of Duke Nukem 1 titled "Duke's Next Adventure" from 1993 - according to the readme;

DUKE's NEXT ADVENTURE
Shareware Version 1.0
Copyright © 1993 - Larry Shanker
[... bla bla bla ...]
The cost of registration is ONLY $5.00. Registered users will receive a Further Adventure of Duke, when it becomes available.
The files contained herein are the copyrighted property of Larry Shanker [...] None of the files in this package are part of the original Duke Nukem game. All files are new creations and should NOT be considered modified versions of any Apogee software.

The only new things are the levels - mostly mediocre but there are some decent things there and I doubt the tools he used were anything near as good as what we have, maybe he didn't include the EXE and everything when he distributed it and the pirates added this in, anyway, as this forum focuses on modding Duke games, I thought some of you might be interested in this early example, so I have attached the file for your enjoyment. Attached File  DNX.rar (262.38K)
Number of downloads: 933

Lastly, I recieved a message on YouTube from user zommone - in his message he pointed out a video featuring John Romero, in this video is footage of Duke Nukem 3D which may interest you, as it is from a version I have never played, in fact, if you've seen development screenshots, it might look rather familiar to you, skip to 2:00 for the footage.

http://www.youtube.c...GjXzFwCs#t=121s

Things of note:

• 2:05 - That Parallax Sky seems to be like a Day version of the LA one, I think we saw a bit of it in an old screenie. The level is clearly an earlier version of Red Light District which we've seen screenshots of, now we can see the layout much more clearly in the video. If you're quick, you can see the room Duke jumps out of (Blue key was here in final - looks like Duke has a red one) appears to continue through a doorway too so maybe there was more to this building before?
  • Around 2:09 I swear a little red Nuke Icon comes up in the lower right of the HUD (That weird orange light hud), possibly it indicated loading of textures?
  • 2:15 - Seems to be Toxic Dump (E1L4) but that door wasn't there, I assume this is the door you find on the side of the building in the final.
  • 2:19 Same level, early scuba gear, I don't remember this blastable wall and that's about it. See if you can find anything else.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 26 April 2012 - 10:58 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Holy shit. This answers a lot of questions I've had about early and promotional screenshots. This is a magnificent find.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHigh Treason, on 26 April 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

Lastly, I recieved a message on YouTube from user zommone - in his message he pointed out a video featuring John Romero, in this video is footage of Duke Nukem 3D which may interest you, as it is from a version I have never played, in fact, if you've seen development screenshots, it might look rather familiar to you, skip to 2:00 for the footage.

http://www.youtube.c...pdzL7koI#t=126s

Kickass. I watched this frame by frame.

2:05 Right at the beginning, look at the inventory icon. It looks like a candle although due to the video it may be the HoloDuke.

Most people know about the Space Suit / Body Suit, but there was another scrapped inventory item earlier (from v0.99 DEFS.CON):

// define GET_ALCHOCOL     8

2:05 Before he jumps out the window, look at the bottom right. There is a weird medkit there.

The nuke icon on the bottom right pops up seemingly at random both after he jumps out of the building and in the second scene with the pipebomb. Of note is that it appears both in front of and behind the orange thing you can still find at tile #2464 in the final.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 26 April 2012 - 08:22 PM

Oh, man, that medkit is freaky - in fact, now you mention it, it looks like a pack of cans, they could be coca-cola though, but it certainly doesn't resemble the one in the HUD that is at 200% on Toxic Dump.

Edit: On closer inspection, no, it's not cans, it says "FIRST AID" on it.

I know that Nuke Icon is still there as I often use it to test actor code due to it being unused, it appearing behind the orange at least proves the earlier speculation that that orange light meant something and certainly was intended to switch on or off. The behaviour of the Nuke Icon strongly resembles the Disk in the Blood Alpha - you need a slow machine to see this.

Oh, I also noticed that the Blue key is in the same place the Red one is.

Anyway, after some searching, I found a better quality version of the vid, funny thing is I can type the EXACT title into YouTube and it will not appear, but crawling some forums, I discovered it, I have modified the link in my old post.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 26 April 2012 - 11:08 PM

User is offline   Lunick 

That's pretty aweseome High Treason, when was the interview done?

And I thought this topic was stickyed before?

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

Interesting video. I'm glad they did away with infinity pistol ammo.

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostForge, on 27 April 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

Interesting video. I'm glad they did away with infinity pistol ammo.

That's not infinity pistol ammo, the infinity one is the 1st weapon, not the 2nd(pistol) one.
Because there is no weapon 0 in that version.

I wonder is that version of duke3d game file still exist?

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 27 April 2012 - 06:26 AM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

Isn't weapon 0 the Mighty Boot, which is infinite by the way?

I like how Red Light District looks like an stage beetween Lameduke and 0.99

This post has been edited by Fox: 27 April 2012 - 07:05 AM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

Yes, the infinite ammo was for the mighty boot.

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

Not to mention this video was clearly made after a registered Atomic Edition was within reach. Who, how, and why did anyone get a hold of that version for a simple video like this? <_<

User is offline   Fox 

That probably was an old footage.

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 27 April 2012 - 10:51 AM, said:

Yes, the infinite ammo was for the mighty boot.

I see now. I'm so used to the pistol being the first weapon listed it didn't even register that this video was displaying the boot in a weapon slot.

User is offline   Fox 

Well, there was only 9 weapons in the game at the time, so there was space to include the Mighty Boot too.

• Weaponized Autism

Yup, as late as v1.0 and v1.1 the help screen and game made no reference to the Devastator whatsoever.

Posted Image Posted Image

You can see the Freezer was still called "Laser" and the Laser Trip Bomb was "Wall Laser Bomb".

View PostPlayer Lin, on 27 April 2012 - 06:25 AM, said:

I wonder is that version of duke3d game file still exist?

I would bet money it does, but in the hands of 3DR or one of their old employees.

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I wish I could mine its bountiful resources.

The 0.99 Beta help screen did not even have weapon names listed;
Posted Image

But that is alright because we can refer to DEFS.CON to needlessly add further confirmation of this.
define FIRSTGUNSPRITE 21
define CHAINGUNSPRITE 22
define RPGSPRITE 23
define FLAMETHROWERSPRITE 24
define SHRINKERSPRITE 25
define HEAVYHBOMB 26
define TRIPBOMBSPRITE 27
define SHOTGUNSPRITE 28

There are some strange things in the CON file, such as
define PLAYERISHERE 2442
define PLAYERWASHERE 2443

You find references to the old laser sight and stuff as well, it's well worth a read.

As for the version in the video existing, possibly it does, maybe somebody has it. Anyway, I discovered the source of the footage, it is from an old British TV series, I am thinking of getting in touch with the studio to ask them wether they have any more footage in the archive or even an old demo of the game they would be willing to part with for a reasonable amount of money - worth a shot or not?

• Weaponized Autism

Yes, http://hendricks266....d3dbeta_art.php

View PostHigh Treason, on 27 April 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

As for the version in the video existing, possibly it does, maybe somebody has it.

Yeah, that old CD that belongs to Joe Siegler is partly what I was referring to, but I also read that they still have the DNF 98 and 2001 "versions" stored away somewhere in "archives" or something along those lines.

View PostHigh Treason, on 27 April 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Anyway, I discovered the source of the footage, it is from an old British TV series, I am thinking of getting in touch with the studio to ask them wether they have any more footage in the archive or even an old demo of the game they would be willing to part with for a reasonable amount of money - worth a shot or not?

Absolutely. Go for it.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 28 April 2012 - 10:57 AM

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostHigh Treason, on 26 April 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

Oh, man, that medkit is freaky - in fact, now you mention it, it looks like a pack of cans, they could be coca-cola though

The medkit is called SIXPAK in .con code, so I bet that's what it is indeed...

• Weaponized Autism

There are Coca-Cola cans in LameDuke, at least in the art.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is also a can spinning on its side but I didn't feel like aligning the art to the correct offsets to make an animation.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 28 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

View PostHendricks266, on 28 April 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

There are Coca-Cola cans in LameDuke, at least in the art.

Posted Image

Posted Image

There is also a can spinning on its side but I didn't feel like aligning the art to the correct offsets to make an animation.

Those cans were in Lameduke, and were used as health. There are some in the beginning of E2L1...I think...

• Weaponized Autism

Anyone who has played Duke 1 and 2 should know the purpose of the Coca-Cola cans. <_<

View PostHendricks266, on 30 April 2012 - 02:16 PM, said:

Anyone who has played Duke 1 and 2 should know the purpose of the Coca-Cola cans. <_<

I'd vote you up, but I'm not allowed. So here's a picture of thumbs up instead!

Posted Image

User is offline   Renegado 

Since I was a kid and Duke3D wasn't out yet I remember watching some preview images in a magazine including one with a naked chick in a bed wich I wasn't able to find again for years even in the old slideshows included in the Apogee cds... until yesterday. Someone else remembers this preview image? I'm uploading the whole article I found since it has more unseen shots.

Attached Image: Score32-082.jpgAttached Image: Score32-083.jpgAttached Image: Score32-084.jpgAttached Image: Score32-085.jpg

This post has been edited by Renegado: 01 May 2012 - 03:04 AM

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options