Duke4.net Forums: The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge - Duke4.net Forums

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Supreme Topic of Miscellaneous Knowledge  "Trivia, Research, etc."

User is offline   Lunick 

Oh wow, wow wow wow, look at those screenshots.

Those are amazing, it certainly seems the game was meant to have stronger nudity at one point. This also has some BETA cheats listed, like DNGODLY.

While I am here, I suppose I'll share some more of the stuff Zummone pointed out - all props to him, he's the one that found this stuff.

Firstly, issue 132 of Computer Gaming World, on Page 86.
Page 86, Page 88 and Page 90... Where's the rest of the text?

Secondly, this is apparently in the source code;
#ifdef ONELEVELDEMO
          puts("DUKE NUKEM 3D SINGLE-LEVEL PROMOTIONAL EDITION\n");
          puts("This single-level promotional edition of Duke Nukem 3D (tm) may not be");
          puts("distributed domestically (North America) by any publication other than");
          puts("Computer Gaming World, a Ziff-Davis publication.  It is a promotional");
          puts("version, licensed for a single month's run, and may not be redistributed");
          puts("by any online service, BBS, commercial publisher, magazine or distributor.");
          puts("International distribution rights are reserved.\n");
          puts("Please read LICENSE.DOC for further information about this special version.");
          puts("NOTE: DUKE NUKEM 3D CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT.\n");
          puts("Press any key to continue.");
          getch();
      #endif

User is offline   Lunick 

Hmm, some of those images share the same from the one posted earlier.

Also the RPG is actually a BFG <_<

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

I tracked the origin of the woman with boobs scan:
http://www.oldgames....-nukem-3d/docs/

There is plenty of early screenshots on this site, I am surprised nobody tried to look for more:
http://www.oldgames....vel-14/page/46/
http://www.oldgames....evel-14/page/8/

I will be looking for more content on the site.

User is offline   Lunick 

Posted Image

Police car <_<

I'm assuming you read the text as well, seriously, that's worth reading as there are some interesting snippets in there. Mostly where it talks about weaponry and the level order. That and the 3D Realms logo was red? Seriously, gray/blue shows up fine in the other screens even on the same page.

Edit: A couple of posts happened while I was writing. I wish I could read the writing in these other posts, but the screenshots are the main purpose and they are very nice.

This post has been edited by High Treason: 01 May 2012 - 04:50 AM

User is offline   Fox 

These are the images I found interesting on the site:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 May 2012 - 04:58 AM

User is offline   Lunick 

yes I'm still reading, there is lots of stuff to take in here.

View PostFox, on 01 May 2012 - 04:42 AM, said:

I tracked the origin of the woman with boobs scan:
http://www.oldgames....-nukem-3d/docs/

There is plenty of early screenshots on this site, I am surprised nobody tried to look for more:
http://www.oldgames....vel-14/page/46/
http://www.oldgames....evel-14/page/8/

I will be looking for more content on the site.

Hey my older brother had that magazine <_< I think it's still laying around somewhere in his room. I was always impressed, when i was little, about those beta screens

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

View PostSimon_Croes, on 01 May 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

Hey my older brother had that magazine <_< I think it's still laying around somewhere in his room. I was always impressed, when i was little, about those beta screens

A note to everyone:

If you have magazines with beta screenshots, scan them. (Please.)

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 01 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

• Weaponized Autism

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 May 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

Firstly, issue 132 of Computer Gaming World, on Page 86.
Page 86, Page 88 and Page 90... Where's the rest of the text?

There is a link to a full PDF which I have downloaded and will be investigating.

EDIT: This mag has some cool full-page ads for Terminal Velocity and ROTT.

EDIT: The "missing" pages 87, 89, 91-97 are full-page ads. I will look at the back of the mag for a "continued" section.

EDIT: Nope.

View PostHigh Treason, on 01 May 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

Secondly, this is apparently in the source code;
#ifdef ONELEVELDEMO
          puts("DUKE NUKEM 3D SINGLE-LEVEL PROMOTIONAL EDITION\n");
          puts("This single-level promotional edition of Duke Nukem 3D (tm) may not be");
          puts("distributed domestically (North America) by any publication other than");
          puts("Computer Gaming World, a Ziff-Davis publication.  It is a promotional");
          puts("version, licensed for a single month's run, and may not be redistributed");
          puts("by any online service, BBS, commercial publisher, magazine or distributor.");
          puts("International distribution rights are reserved.\n");
          puts("Please read LICENSE.DOC for further information about this special version.");
          puts("NOTE: DUKE NUKEM 3D CONTAINS MATURE CONTENT.\n");
          puts("Press any key to continue.");
          getch();
      #endif

I would love to get my hands on this one-level demo. Does anyone have it?

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 01 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

User is offline   NY00123 

As usual, nice stuff to see!

Now that someone has mentioned the following, though...

View PostHendricks266, on 01 May 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

I would love to get my hands on this one-level demo. Does anyone have it?

...Well, it has just sounded a bit familiar to me.

Original source: http://www.classicdo...&t=802&start=60
Some download link from there: http://www.knightsan...vate/duke3d.zip

Looks like the exact same text you've quoted from the source code appears as you load the demo. (Unless I've missed something...)

Unfortunately for some, I'm not sure there's a lot to see: There's a background demo playback of E1L2, and you can only play E1L1 (more or less the same map found in v1.0-1.3d). If there is any other map internally (or other unused v1.0-1.3d contents), well, I haven't investigated.

• Weaponized Autism

Awesome, thanks so much! It was only posted March 2nd, 2012 too. I know Litude (in passing) from Underground-Gamer. He does great collecting and organizing work on classic Apogee stuff and more.

Ah damn, sorry Hendricks266, I meant this. Seems that I quote the wrong post. Dunno why...
This is the magazine I got, the one in the link that High Treason posted:

http://www.cgwmuseum...95&pub=2&id=132

• Weaponized Autism

Nah, no problem, you only reminded me of this, it wasn't meant for you specifically.

• Weaponized Autism

View PostNY00123, on 01 May 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

Unfortunately for some, I'm not sure there's a lot to see: There's a background demo playback of E1L2, and you can only play E1L1 (more or less the same map found in v1.0-1.3d). If there is any other map internally (or other unused v1.0-1.3d contents), well, I haven't investigated.

The README.DOC says this is a build of v1.1, which matches the file dates.

LameDuke: 1994-12-30
v0.99: 1996-01-04
v1.0: 1996-01-29
v1.1: 1996-02-20
v1.1 Computer Gaming World one-level demo: 1996-03-04
v1.3D Registered: 1996-04-19
v1.3D Shareware: 1996-04-24
v1.4: 1996-10-10
v1.5: 1996-12-11
Mac Shareware: 1997-07-04

Of the files in the zip, only DEFS.CON, DEMO1.DMO, DUKE3D.EXE, GAME.CON, LICENSE.DOC, and USER.CON are unique to this version when compared against v1.1 and v1.3D Shareware. (The GRP matches v1.1. <_<) The EXE, DMO, and LICENSE are obvious, but the CON files are of some interest considering they are partway between v1.1 and v1.3D. There is not too much of note, other than that you can see the progress being made between v1.1 and v1.3D. I bet there are changes to the EXE source code as well.

The only thing that stood out to me is the following:

DEFS.CON:define CYCLOIDSPRITE 29
DEFS.CON:define CYCLOIDAMMO 42
DEFS.CON:define CYCLOIDBLAST 1642
DEFS.CON:define CYCLOID 2510
DEFS.CON:define CYCLOID_WEAPON      7
GAME.CON:actor CYCLOIDAMMO
GAME.CON:        addammo CYCLOID_WEAPON CYCLOIDAMMOAMOUNT quote 14
GAME.CON:        ifspawnedby CYCLOIDAMMO state getcode
GAME.CON:actor CYCLOIDSPRITE
GAME.CON:        addweapon CYCLOID_WEAPON 48 quote 87
GAME.CON:        ifspawnedby CYCLOIDSPRITE state getweaponcode
GAME.CON:actor CYCLOIDBLAST FREEZETHROWER_WEAPON_STRENGTH enda
USER.CON:define MAXCYCLOIDAMMO           99
USER.CON:                MAXCYCLOIDAMMO MAXTRIPBOMBAMMO MAXFREEZEAMMO
USER.CON:define CYCLOIDAMMOAMOUNT        10
USER.CON:definequote 14        AMMO FOR CYCLOID
USER.CON:definequote 87        CYCLOID WEAPON

The Devastator was originally called the Cycloid Weapon, which makes logical sense.

When I compared the CON files I saw stuff removed that I had never seen before that interested me, so I will need to do a study of all the CON files from the versions at some point and add that to my website.

I think we can justify calling this the "true" v1.2.

This post has been edited by Hendricks266: 01 May 2012 - 04:11 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

You guys kick ass, some screenshots here I've never seen before and I have a huge Build and friends collection. I need to upload it on MediaFire.

User is offline   Fox 

There is also this:

state boss3lobbedstate
    ifcansee
    {
        ifactioncount 2 resetactioncount
        else ifactioncount 1 { ifcount 32 { } else ifcount 30 shoot RPG }
        else ifcount 64 ifrnd 16 state checkboss3seekstate
    }
    else state checkboss3seekstate
ends

state boss3shootenemy
    ifcount 72 state checkboss3seekstate
    else ifaction ABOSS3SHOOT ifactioncount 2
    {
        ifpdistg 2048 ai AIBOSS3LOBBED
        else
        {
            shoot SHOTSPARK1
            resetactioncount
        }
    }
ends

At this point the Overlord would also shoot bullets. If you check that screenshot of an early overlord (that I am using as avatar) he got some guns attached.

This post has been edited by Fox: 01 May 2012 - 05:19 PM

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostFox, on 01 May 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

There is also this:
At this point the Overlord would also shoot bullets. If you check that screenshot of an early overlord (that I am using as avatar) he got some guns attached.

Too bad they took this out and that the art is probably lost. The Overlord's the most boring boss since he only has a single attack.

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

View PostJames, on 01 May 2012 - 11:49 PM, said:

Too bad they took this out and that the art is probably lost. The Overlord's the most boring boss since he only has a single attack.

He also charges at you, and the Overlord boss fight area is probably the smallest boss arena making his charging attack more deadly than all the other bosses'.

User is offline   Jblade 

View PostMicky C, on 02 May 2012 - 12:31 AM, said:

He also charges at you, and the Overlord boss fight area is probably the smallest boss arena making his charging attack more deadly than all the other bosses'.

Eh, I don't really see that as an attack since you can out-run anything in the game really easily. Duke doesn't move as fast as the Doom marine, but he still moves pretty damn fast.

User is offline   Gambini 

View PostHendricks266, on 01 May 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

A note to everyone:

If you have magazines with beta screenshots, scan them. (Please.)

I had them, somewhere. Main problem is, I don´t have a scanner.

What I remember of those were a few lizmans in a moonlike level, and they was wearing a different armor, more like medieaval armor.

User is offline   Fox 

Use a camera or your cellphone then.

This post has been edited by Fox: 03 May 2012 - 06:09 PM

If i use a camera, then I have a picture that needs to be scanned too. And... I don´t understand how my cellphone would help on this. Should I call Hendrix to explan what i see in the screenshots?

• Weaponized Autism

Could you tell the name, issue, and page number(s) of the magazine(s)?

The magazine was PC Mania (spanish - Spain). And that had to be prior N*46. I remember I had tons of those and had to throw them to the bin, so i kept that page. But again, that was like 10 years ago and since then my kids have destroyed most of my magazines and books. So I doubt that page survived.

Dukespaña (the duke site in spanish) had a sort of library with lots of scanned pages, but unfortunatelly the link seems to be dead. I just sent a PM to the admin, asking for them again. Will let you know what he answers. Maybe we don´t find that exact thing i mentioned, but there were a lot of cool stuff.

User is offline   Fox 

Everything makes a lot more sense when you think of the Cola cans. There are medkits in the bar in Hollywood Holocaust, or in a refrigerator in Hotel Hell. Besides the Cola machines makes a lot more sense.

User is online   MrFlibble 

I really like the outdoor level screenshot in the top left corner of this page, it strongly reminds me of the urban levels in LameDuke :P It's a pity that most urban levels in the final game got much less spacious.

As for the old footage from the John Romero interview video (nice to know he likes Duke Nukem 3D and Age of Empires :)), I do wonder if there are other videos from early builds left anywhere. Could be lying around in some archives actually, maybe used in some old (local) TV commercials or something. (BTW, is there any archive for TV commercials - Internet-based or not? I think those might be archived, either by TV channels/stations, or maybe even on a larger, nationwide scale?)

[Edit] Just noticed an obvious idiocy on my part, calling John Romero John Carmack. Sorry!

This post has been edited by MrFlibble: 27 May 2012 - 05:36 AM

User is offline   Fox 

View PostMrFlibble, on 21 May 2012 - 03:36 PM, said:

I really like the outdoor level screenshot in the top left corner of this page, it strongly reminds me of the urban levels in LameDuke :) It's a pity that most urban levels in the final game got much less spacious.

I don't know, but I am not particularly a fan of that kind of level because there aren't many details in the streets, just some flat repeated textures all over the place, not to mention that you won't be able to get inside most of the buildings. It turns out Doom II had some levels like that. It's much better to have just one street with lot of stuff.

On the other hand, a level of that kind with details and indoor areas is too large, which turns out to be exhaustive. So if you was to ask me, I think 3DRealms did a good job in how they made the city levels.

This post has been edited by Fox: 21 May 2012 - 06:18 PM

User is offline   Diaz 

View PostGambini, on 03 May 2012 - 08:04 PM, said:

The magazine was PC Mania (spanish - Spain). And that had to be prior N*46. I remember I had tons of those and had to throw them to the bin, so i kept that page. But again, that was like 10 years ago and since then my kids have destroyed most of my magazines and books. So I doubt that page survived.

Dukespaña (the duke site in spanish) had a sort of library with lots of scanned pages, but unfortunatelly the link seems to be dead. I just sent a PM to the admin, asking for them again. Will let you know what he answers. Maybe we don´t find that exact thing i mentioned, but there were a lot of cool stuff.

PC Mania even had a section dedicated to level design (it was called "tiempo real") and they were using BUILD for some time... I actually got into BUILD due to this magazine, as I didn't have access to the Internet back then. Too bad they later switched to Worldcraft :)

This post has been edited by Diaz: 21 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

Share this topic:

• 52 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options