Duke4.net Forums: Polymer public builds errors/issues - Duke4.net Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Polymer public builds errors/issues

User is offline   zchri9 

• Honored Donor

Post public Polymer EDuke32 builds logs, issues and problems in here.

User is offline   Piterplus 

Confirmed additional sound noise on the background in revision 1502.
1501 was noise free...
No errors in the log.
Win XP SP2, C 2 Duo @2800, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, Audigy 4.

User is offline   Mikko 

• Honored Donor

The boxiness is all too apparent (even worse in space maps):

Posted Image

Is it supposed to look that way or is it just me?

GPU: GeForce 7600GT.

This post has been edited by Mikko_Sandt: 28 September 2009 - 06:03 AM

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostPiterplus, on Sep 28 2009, 01:18 AM, said:

Confirmed additional sound noise on the background in revision 1502.
1501 was noise free...
No errors in the log.
Win XP SP2, C 2 Duo @2800, Nvidia GeForce 8800GT, Audigy 4.

Okay. I'll revert the change I made to DirectSound in that revision then... ironically, the change was to enable hardware mixing instead of forcing software mixing in the hopes that it would actually cure the popping for some people, but I think something is just subtly messed up elsewhere in JonoF's new DirectSound driver.

User is offline   Jamesfff 

Just dowloaded the latest version of eDuke32 and tried to run it with the polymer option selected, but all that happened was a brief flash to a white screen and then nothing. Here is what my my log for that attempt shows:

EDuke32 2.0.0devel 20090927
addsearchpath(): Added C:/EDuke32/DukePlus/
Loading opengl32.dll
Loading glu32.dll
Initializing DirectDraw...
Using config file 'eduke32.cfg'.
Scanning for GRP files...
Uninitializing DirectDraw...

What happened? (I have had my current computer since 2004, fwiw.)

User is offline   The Commander 

• I used to be a Brown Fuzzy Fruit, but I've changed bro...

From the information you gave us and the lack of you telling us your PC specs I would say you don't have a graphics card that is needed to play it.

I bet we will see a ton more posts like this with people that don't read things and expect it to work on computers that a 10 years old. :o

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

That's not even a log from a failed startup attempt, it's a log from running eduke32.exe again afterward and clicking "cancel" in the startup window.

User is online   Mark 

This is only in my own map so its not an "official" bug report. I used a lot of sprites for floors or ceilings for a room over room effect. In previous polymost versions I would get some flickering of those sprites but any other sprites pasted on walls or out in the open were flicker free. Now under Polymer, the floor sprites are a little more stable but I have massive amounts of flickering on the sprites that are pasted on the walls. Some are within the radius of the new lighting cast from some torches but most are not.

I only played a little of E1L1 and didn't notice the problem at all. I can't imaging why its happening just on my map. I'll try other user maps and see whats up. I'm running an Nvidia 9800GTX and using HRP

Like others mentioned, I'm also getting a little ticking noise in the sound every now and then.

EDIT: It is happening in other user maps too. I haven't read of anyone else with this problem yet so it might be something on my end.

This post has been edited by Marked: 28 September 2009 - 04:52 PM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

I've seen the flickering sprites on walls in user made maps too. I think it's because the sprite is not one sided and it may be receiving a light source from somewhere nearby or from the other side of the wall.

User is online   Mark 

I checked on my map and there is no difference in the flickering between 1 sided or 2 sided sprites. These are outside and have no light source anywhere near them.

User is offline   Piterplus 

View PostTX, on Sep 28 2009, 09:00 PM, said:

Okay. I'll revert the change I made to DirectSound in that revision then... ironically, the change was to enable hardware mixing instead of forcing software mixing in the hopes that it would actually cure the popping for some people, but I think something is just subtly messed up elsewhere in JonoF's new DirectSound driver.

Thank you.
Hope you will succeed to make hardware mixing working - sure it is much better that way.

User is offline   Omni 

View PostMarked, on Sep 28 2009, 04:21 PM, said:

This is only in my own map so its not an "official" bug report. I used a lot of sprites for floors or ceilings for a room over room effect. In previous polymost versions I would get some flickering of those sprites but any other sprites pasted on walls or out in the open were flicker free. Now under Polymer, the floor sprites are a little more stable but I have massive amounts of flickering on the sprites that are pasted on the walls. Some are within the radius of the new lighting cast from some torches but most are not.

EDIT: It is happening in other user maps too. I haven't read of anyone else with this problem yet so it might be something on my end.

Noticed what I think you are describing in e1l2 in the room where you hit the switch to make the sign come down that says "Duke Nukem Must Die"

It was the poster of the babe over the bed I believe, not the calender that one was fine.

This post has been edited by Omni: 29 September 2009 - 12:34 AM

User is offline   Forge 

• Speaker of the Outhouse

View PostForge, on Sep 28 2009, 09:37 PM, said:

I've seen the flickering sprites on walls in user made maps too. I think it's because the sprite is not one sided and it may be receiving a light source from somewhere nearby or from the other side of the wall.

Double checked and it doesn't appear to be a one sided or two sided sprite problem. It appears that the sprites are either receiving a light source, even though they're even close to one. This could be related to the parallaxing problem.

User is offline   Tiranasta 

Polymer is great and works flawlessly, with the exception of one very strange bug. Whenever I fire a weapon, the shot goes two centimetres or so BELOW the crosshairs, which makes aiming somewhat annoying. This only occurs in Polymer; the bug disappears if I untick the 'Polymer' box.

User is offline   Plagman 

• Former VP of Media Operations

It's because polymer doesn't support screen resizing yet and you're using the full HUD. Hit + to play fullscreen with the minimal HUD and you'll avoid that problem.

User is offline   Jamesfff 

TX - I DID PRESS START. That log DOES record a failed attempt th start eDuke32 with polymer.

My computer is five years old at this point. It runs WInXP SP1 (I tried to upgrade to SP2 once, but got caught in an unending startup,-boot into windows-shutdown-repeat loop and had to revert to SP1.) It has 2.5 gig RAM, an AMD 64 processor and an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 video card. If Polymer does not work with that, it should just say so, rather than just shutting down. (I can play Doom3 just fine with what I have, by the way, although I have to have the graphics quality[set to high, with 800*600 resolution] lower than I'd like, otherwise the game slows down. The graphics still look good though.)

View PostJamesfff, on Sep 30 2009, 10:11 AM, said:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 video card.

To old... And it should not have to say because if you read the front page which I'm guessing you did not then you would see it isn't compatible.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 29 September 2009 - 02:37 PM

I'd Really like to try the Polymer.

This post has been edited by Duke Nukem Atomic: 29 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Will I Be Able To Run The Polymer On A Laptop? I just got it in August.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

You Might Be Able To, But It Depends If The Laptop Is Good. If you can run it, it most likely will not run as well as it would on a desktop.

User is offline   OpenMaw 

• Judge Mental

View PostDuke Nukem Atomic, on Sep 29 2009, 04:10 PM, said:

Will I Be Able To Run The Polymer On A Laptop? I just got it in August.

People cant tell you based on that. Ya gotta post your hardware specs dude. :o

View PostHendricks266, on Sep 29 2009, 05:15 PM, said:

You Might Be Able To, But It Depends If The Laptop Is Good. If you can run it, it most likely will not run as well as it would on a desktop.

Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T4200 (2.0GHz, 1MB Cache, 800Mhz FSB) 2GB Memory, 160GB Hard Drive, Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500mHD.

User is offline   Alan 

• Hellspawn

You may be able to, but very slowly. If I'm reading right, your Intel graphics card does support a proper shader model, but it performs very badly. Intel is known for producing very bad graphics cards. Having a low-mid level processor and only 2 GB of RAM may not help your case if you're running Vista.

User is offline   blizzart 

Your Intel video card should run Polymer properly, but with 2gb ram and the video card is also using it, it will run very slowly, as Alan mentioned.

If anything says Intel it's bound to fail at some point.
Best get yourself a real graphics card.

This post has been edited by The Commander: 29 September 2009 - 11:47 PM

User is offline   blizzart 

View PostThe Commander, on Sep 30 2009, 09:47 AM, said:

If anything says Intel it's bound to fail at some point.
Best get yourself a real graphics card.

It´s a laptop. And the video card seems to support sm4.0.

User is offline   Piano Man 

Out of curiousity - has anyone managed to get the Polymer reflective water working??? Didn't want to make a new thread about it... I have room over room with PolyMOST, but not Polymer.

My water just looks like some weird bumpy bubbly blue slime.... and no I don't have a shit graphics card - I have a 8800GTX OC3 with 2.4Ghtz Quad Core Q6600, and plenty of RAM.

Also - if you look at the attached picture - the walls in E1L3 look like they're made by some reflective jelly or something... is this normal???

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 30 September 2009 - 03:19 AM

User is offline   Sobek 

• There's coffee in that nebula!

View PostPiano Man, on Sep 30 2009, 09:23 PM, said:

Out of curiousity - has anyone managed to get the Polymer reflective water working??? Didn't want to make a new thread about it... I have room over room with PolyMOST, but not Polymer.

My water just looks like some weird bumpy bubbly blue slime.... and no I don't have a shit graphics card - I have a 8800GTX OC3 with 2.4Ghtz Quad Core Q6600, and plenty of RAM.

Also - if you look at the attached picture - the walls in E1L3 look like they're made by some reflective jelly or something... is this normal???

It's a common thing. Try setting the parallax override command to 1, and tinkering with the parallax settings to get it just right. The commands are;

r_pr_overrideparallax 1

Followed by;

r_pr_parallaxbias 0
r_pr_parallaxscale 0.03

I found the above settings to be right for that level. As for your water, it may be fixed the same way. If not, post a screenshot so we can see...

User is offline   Piano Man 

Well the good news is that the parallax command helped sort the jelly wall and made it a lot more normal looking...

As for the water - with the command... it helped take the water from Picture 1... to Picture 2... (Both taken from the map 'Water' included with the Polymer Pack.)

I still can't see through the water though... that's the only annoying thing I would love to see.

This post has been edited by Piano Man: 30 September 2009 - 06:24 AM

View Postblizzart, on Sep 30 2009, 01:12 AM, said:

It´s a laptop. And the video card seems to support sm4.0.

When I try to run the Polymer I select a level then the screen turns gray and the Game just aborts. I have Vista but I'm able to run Duke Plus and HRP V4.1 With no lag really.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options