Duke4.net Forums: glitchy TROR grey out in Mapster - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

glitchy TROR grey out in Mapster

User is offline   Mark 

Has anyone else over the last couple years experienced weird behavior when using the CTRL + A grey-out feature in Mapster? Many times after days weeks or months of editing, parts of the map just seemingly out of nowhere start greying out when they shouldn't. Things that do and don't grey out do not correspond to the actual TROR areas. I'm curious if its a bug or if I'm consistantly doing something to cause it without realizing it. Most of the time it doesn't affect my ability to continue mapping.

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 June 2024 - 05:05 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

View PostMark, on 01 June 2024 - 05:03 AM, said:

Has anyone else over the last couple years experienced weird behavior when using the CTRL + A grey-out feature in Mapster? Many times after days weeks or months of editing, parts of the map just seemingly out of nowhere start greying out when they shouldn't. Things that do and don't grey out do not correspond to the actual TROR areas. I'm curious if its a bug or if I'm consistantly doing something to cause it without realizing it. Most of the time it doesn't affect my ability to continue mapping.

I think it's generally a bit "meh", you could try selecting a sector/group of sectors and pressing Ctrl+R in 2D mode to grey out everything that doesn't matches the selected sectors Z heights (floor and ceiling, with a few units of leeway either way I think). Much more comfortable to work like that and doesn't randomly swap-out (most of the time) like when working with TROR in general.

As for TROR randomly graying out the wrong "layer", it sometimes does that when e.g. moving a vortex or sprite in 2D mode, usually entering 3D mode then going back puts you into the right layer again.

User is offline   Mark 

Its acting even goofier than just not greying the proper layer. The entire map has only 3 small and spread out TROR sectors and the areas greyed out seem to be random and in some cases grey out even if the cursor is in that sector ( that has no TROR anywhere near ) Its hard to explain. I guess I'll continue living with it since 98 percent of the time I can still properly access layers.

Just like I have to continue living with another very annoying glitch that many times I will place a model on the floor in 3D mode and it doesn't show. But if I lower the floor or raise the ceiling by sometimes as much as 15-20 clicks, there it is. And this is with models that were made with their origins properly at their bottom. Also if I drag a model in 2D mode, many times it will reset itself to on the floor even if it was purposely sunk down a little.

Couple these with all the Polymer specific glitches and breaks in the last few years I'm surprised I still mod. ;)

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 June 2024 - 02:50 PM

User is offline   quakis 

I've never had much luck with the auto-greyout unless I was very specific with my TROR layers and not exceed certain Z-axis with any sectors going above or below the depth of their bunches, neatly stacking each on top each other perfectly. I wrote as much in this thread (post #24) with included examples.

These days thanks to oasis' script "SectSel" I don't worry too much about the above method and that gives me a little more freedom to construct my levels loosely again. I'll just select some sectors in 3D mode that I want to focus on and use CTRL + R in 2D mode and mostly ignore relying on the auto-greyout CTRL + A method. I like this script in particular since TROR layers can make selecting the correct sectors in 2D mode a nuisance, so I can simply do it in 3D with little hassle.

No idea if any of this will be of any help to you, but hope these ideas can reduce the current frustrations working with TROR can have.

If I keep my layers consistent and controlled I tend to have no problems, I only find issues when layer heights, floor or ceiling are not consistent. for example if a sector floor is lower than the TROR portal in the same layer.
I just opened WGHotell hell, and all layers still work well with grey out.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options