Duke4.net Forums: Monsters waking up thorugh x-ray vision - Duke4.net Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Monsters waking up thorugh x-ray vision

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

At first I thought this was a bug that happens with some user maps, but no I'm seeing it start to affect vanilla levels as well. Enemies are somehow achieving line of sight through walls and thus are waking up early. It most often seems to affect Enforcers, but I've seen it happen to Octabrains too.

Levels I encountered this bug on a recent playthrough include:

-E2L3 (war room)
-E4L2 (drive-thru)
-E4L7 (room with three enforcers beside the door to the final outdoor area)

There were others too but I can't actually remember them.

User is offline   Merlijn 

Just FYI, the ones you reported in the Shaky Grounds episode are actually respawns that spawn before you encounter them, them 'waking up early' is deliberate.
Sorry, I probably forgot to respond on that particular point.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostMerlijn, on 26 November 2021 - 08:19 AM, said:

Just FYI, the ones you reported in the Shaky Grounds episode are actually respawns that spawn before you encounter them, them 'waking up early' is deliberate.
Sorry, I probably forgot to respond on that particular point.

Noted. That said, this affecting vanilla maps is still errant. Though the scope seems limited to Enforcers alone, now.

EDIT: This actually helped me realize. SG was the exception to this rule, but since that's off the table...

As far as I can recall, every incident with x-ray vision involved (real) doors. They weren't open at the time of awakening, but that was an object that was between me and the Enforcers:

-War room: the secret wall that opens to an RPG
-Drive-thru: the backdoor to the kitchen/office area
-Room with three enforcers: just a door

This post has been edited by Ninety-Six: 26 November 2021 - 10:38 AM

User is offline   Danukem 

• Duke Plus Developer

I'd be more concerned if monsters were now trying to shoot in those situations. Just waking up isn't so bad (although I guess it's still wrong).

But it doesn't make sense that it's only enforcers. What happens if you replace enforcers with different enemies in those maps? It's time to learn the map editor a little if you can't do that yet -- you are way too knowledgeable about the game to deprive yourself of that ability for any longer.

User is offline   NNC 

I'm wondering what would happen to the original levels with a Doom style wake up system. Would it break the levels?

View PostNinety-Six, on 26 November 2021 - 08:25 AM, said:

Noted. That said, this affecting vanilla maps is still errant. Though the scope seems limited to Enforcers alone, now.

EDIT: This actually helped me realize. SG was the exception to this rule, but since that's off the table...

As far as I can recall, every incident with x-ray vision involved (real) doors. They weren't open at the time of awakening, but that was an object that was between me and the Enforcers:

-War room: the secret wall that opens to an RPG
-Drive-thru: the backdoor to the kitchen/office area
-Room with three enforcers: just a door

For the first one, I cannot get the enforcers to activate at all (skill 3).
For the second, I cannot activate the enforcer while the door is closed -- and if I hit the switch to raise it slightly, it will only activate when I shoot it.
The third one activates because there's a small gap in the swinging door, but this Enforcer will also activate in the DOS version. Hence I also cannot observe a difference here.

Please verify that you are not using modified CON files and see if you can reproduce this yourself.

User is offline   TerminX 

• el fundador

View PostDanukem, on 27 November 2021 - 01:39 AM, said:

I'd be more concerned if monsters were now trying to shoot in those situations. Just waking up isn't so bad (although I guess it's still wrong).

Sometimes that happens, but it's an issue in the DOS version as well because the engine's "cansee" function doesn't really work correctly. If you wake the guys in the projector room in E1L1 up and then hang out in the lobby and around the corridor that leads to the theater seating you can usually hear the guys in the projector room trying to shoot you.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options