Duke4.net Forums: Duke: Nuclear Winter Plus - Duke4.net Forums

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Duke: Nuclear Winter Plus

Ooh, a visitor! It's gotten very lonely on this thread.

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 24 December 2021 - 02:50 AM, said:

I did a playthrough myself, with "dnskill5". I took the curiosity of looking into the NW.GRP file, and saw a bunch of Santa Claws .VOC files, but never used ingame somehow O_o I remember that "I have a present for you" I heard many many years ago when I was using JFDuke, but never ever after, and never the other ones ever ever ....

Funny you should say that, for the first time ever fighting Santa (take that out of context) I heard him say "What, no milk and cookies for Santa?" for the first time. Usually you just hear "Ohoho, it's not nice to shoot Santa" over and over again and sometimes "OW, my face!" when you kill him.

I think depending on the settings, you might get more quotes like him saying "Duke, you have done it, you have saved Christmas" in the ending cutscene and Lo Wang answering the ringing phone in Deja Vu. It's all very fiddly and I couldn't tell you which settings do which though and the latter was something the HRP put in for laughs.

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 24 December 2021 - 04:18 AM

View Postdarkprince227, on 24 December 2021 - 04:17 AM, said:

Ooh, a visitor! It's gotten very lonely on this thread.

Funny you should say that, for the first time ever fighting Santa (take that out of context) I heard him say "What, no milk and cookies for Santa?" for the first time. Usually you just hear "Ohoho, it's not nice to shoot Santa" over and over again and sometimes "OW, my face!" when you kill him.

I think depending on the settings, you might get more quotes like him saying "Duke, you have done it, you have saved Christmas" in the ending cutscene and Lo Wang answering the ringing phone in Deja Vu. It's all very fiddly and I couldn't tell you which settings do which though and the latter was something the HRP put in for laughs.

I once saw a video on YT in which Lo Wang answers the phone, I thus always thought it was my version having something gone wonky about it ^^

I do remember that "no milk and cookie" quote, though, just like "I have a present for you" (which was when I had been defeated) I heard it only once and never again >_> What settings are you talking about ? I would never suspect that changing some setting would affect VOC files playback O_o
Changing EDuk32 snapshot, I would understand, but setting o_O ?

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 24 December 2021 - 02:50 AM, said:

Too bad the Nuclear Winter HRP was abandonned >_> Of all 3 add-ons, it's not as complex as Vacation.

Weren't all the Duke HRPs abandoned? Just that the HRP for the main game was mostly finished, unlike NW+Vaca which had its own enemies (and in the case of Vaca, also weapons)

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 24 December 2021 - 05:56 AM

View PostTheDragonLiner, on 24 December 2021 - 04:42 AM, said:

I once saw a video on YT in which Lo Wang answers the phone, I thus always thought it was my version having something gone wonky about it ^^

I do remember that "no milk and cookie" quote, though, just like "I have a present for you" (which was when I had been defeated) I heard it only once and never again >_> What settings are you talking about ? I would never suspect that changing some setting would affect VOC files playback O_o
Changing EDuk32 snapshot, I would understand, but setting o_O ?

This time around, I loaded the nwinter.grp straight from the EDuke32 launcher, I think you need "Nuclear Winter Plus" for the Lo Wang and other such things. I could be wrong though

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 December 2021 - 05:55 AM, said:

Weren't all the Duke HRPs abandoned? Just that the HRP for the main game was mostly finished, unlike NW+Vaca which had its own enemies (and in the case of Vaca, also weapons)

Yeah, it's pretty much been abandoned, sadly. Most of the developed have moved on to other things. The new thing is the Enhanced Resolution Pack and it looks like they're not going to bother with Nuclear Winter, but maybe they're going to do something with the other expansions.
Still looks interesting through

This post has been edited by darkprince227: 24 December 2021 - 07:39 AM

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Getting NW to the point that I'd be happy to add it to the ERP would be way too much work, sorry. I will be doing DC and Vaca though (DC already works with the ERP, just that the new assets aren't upscaled)

That said, if there's an artist willing to tackle the NW sprites, I'd be willing to change my mind on NW.

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

I don't want to bump this needlessly, but my question seems to fit best in here:

Looking at the nwinter.con vanilla code for the jetpack, there is a pal21 version which was supposed to have only 10% fuel. Even though there is none in any of the maps, it doesn't show up ingame even if manually placed via Mapster32.

Why is that? I know NW+ is working around this issue with EDuke32-exclusive code. I was able to make it work in vanilla, but not without cloning the jetpack actor and giving it an unused tilenum. Does it have to be pal0 in SP or what's the catch here?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

I seem to remember that empty jetpack at the base of the vent shaft you have to go up at the end of the second level, but now that you mention it, it probably gets deleted because the game thinks it's for multiplayer.

• The Truth is in here

AFAIK only pal1 is MP-specific. There are other palettes that are explicitly for SP (player 1), which are 3 and 9. It doesn't work with those, either. That NW code would probably work the way it was written if the pal21 jetpack actually appeared.

The lack of a depleted jetpack at the end of NW2 isn't that bad since you can get a full one in the cinema secret area (which isn't ideal though since items that are critical to finish the map shouldn't be hidden). Yet I wonder if that ever worked in DOS. Considering how sloppy the levels are made, I doubt they were sufficiently tested to realize problems like these.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 November 2022 - 11:23 AM

User is offline   LakiSoft 

Although indeed PAL 2 is designed for Multiplayer only things to appear in the map, i remember very well that assigning any other pallete than zero makes items DO NOT appear in Single Player. IDK why is like that but it does happens. NW Developers probably thought that PAL 21 will work with Single Player as well initially, but later they also realized it won't. Probably because 3D Realms made only monsters and unusable objects appear in game with any pallete assigned, but in case it with pickupable items, whatever pallete you assign, they don't appear in game.

• The Truth is in here

Makes sense. Btw, they put a pal0 jetpack at the bottom of that NW2 vent shaft. And I checked all maps again, all jetpacks you can find are either pal0 or pal1. (There aren't any in NW4-6.)

Guess it can indeed be assumed they experimented with pal21 items, then gave up but forgot to undo their changes applied to the actor code. Maybe they were even some "weak" jetpacks in the maps that have none during development and got removed before release. We'll probably never know.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 27 November 2022 - 11:53 AM

User is offline   Reaper_Man 

• Once and Future King

This came up in another thread but just wanted to clarify here:

Looking at the source code, any weapon / ammo / item pickup with a non-zero palette is considered "multiplayer only", and will be deleted in single player. It's not just PAL 1 or PAL 2, it's any PAL other than 0. It's possible this was modified in the original Nuclear Winter executable with their modified source, but if the PAL 21 one still disappears even in that version, I'm guessing this was something they tried to get working and couldn't figure out what was going on, and/or they didn't clean up the CON after attempting it.

• The Truth is in here

Well, instead of placing weaker jetpacks, it would have been possible to take it away at the beginning of a map if you are not supposed to have one, but they didn't go down that road, either. Then again, I think there is not really a chance to skip larger parts of a map when flying.

In general it's not really a relevant factor in this episode besides towards the end of the second map when you have to fly to the rooftop, which is actually pretty idiotic if you think about it. Ultimately, you only go up to there because that's where you started in the original HH and they want you to do the full reverse trip.

As usual, Happy Holidays to all here, or not here. Just finished my annual run-through.

I wonder how Santa doesn't have diabetes yet from all the milk and cookies. We here in England leave him mince pies and sherry, other countries leave different treats too, but he's already pretty overweight and we're just enabling this.

User is offline   Mark 

He gets fat and drunk in England and diabetes in America. Maybe he goes on a diet in the off season and takes meds for his holiday abuses.

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Damn, I wonder how tough he'd be in the boss fight if he wasn't ill.

Heyheyhey, it's your boy, Darkprince leaving his annual holiday greetings on the Duke4 forums B)

I did my annual playthrough pretty early today, but I did it all the same..... Meh, honestly not much else to say.

Happy holidays to anyone who sees this

This can help to refresh the experience a little for what's worth.
In truth, seems strange that no one has ever done a gameplay with this. Must be a lack of advertising.

I could return to expand it with themed weapons, if anyone have ideas.

View PostFantinaikos, on 24 December 2023 - 12:59 PM, said:

This can help to refresh the experience a little for what's worth.
In truth, seems strange that no one has ever done a gameplay with this. Must be a lack of advertising.

I could return to expand it with themed weapons, if anyone have ideas.

These look good

How do I get them to run, cos putting them in "autoload" doesn't seem to work

Put the single .ART files you want into a custom folder, call it what you want, then put it in your Eduke32 folder. In the Eduke32 "custom content directory" choose the folder with the new NW resources. Same thing for Carribean.

View PostFantinaikos, on 24 December 2023 - 02:27 PM, said:

Put the single .ART files you want into a custom folder, call it what you want, then put it in your Eduke32 folder. In the Eduke32 "custom content directory" choose the folder with the new NW resources. Same thing for Carribean.

Thanks, took a bit of fiddling, but it works. I had to go to the Backrooms to find an Octobrain in NW but it appears to work. I especially love Duke with a scarf in NW and the Jellyfish slimes in Caribbean

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png
  • Attached Image: duke0002.png

Share this topic:

• 7 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options