Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Widescreen Fixes for Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Widescreen Fixes for Duke3D  "Version 1.6 now available"

User is online   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

The loading screen is like that. I only applied very minimal extensions in some spots, but mostly it has the black bars on both sides still. If you stretch that image, the nuke symbol turns so flat it looks like crap. I admit the whole thing could have been done better, but right now this serves as a placeholder. You won't see the loading screen that long and often though, anyway.

User is online   Phredreeke 

Extending the loading screen nuke symbol could have consequences for user maps using it (as a screen texture for example, happened in SWGDX with its title screen)

• The Truth is in here

It will be a problem anyway, since it is a widescreen tile. In Raze, Graf Zahl wants to implement a distinction between the tile being used in the menu or ingame, so that widescreen stuff is only used in the menu. I hope something similar will be possible in EDuke32. I could imagine yet another parameter for tilefromtexture, e.g. menutile or something.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 02 June 2021 - 06:29 AM

User is offline   Avenger 

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 June 2021 - 05:03 AM, said:

I assume it missed including CRC check for those. Edit: weird, it's there. Are you using an old build of Duke3D by any chance?

Yes, because I play with different autoexec files based on the map and newer builds all crash on startup when they are present.

• The Truth is in here

Then you are screwed. Right now, ifcrc for tilefromtexture is the only content filter we have for EDuke32, and if your build doesn't support that, you would have to manually load different defs.

Perhaps you should report what your autoexecs are doing that crashes the game

View PostNightFright, on 02 June 2021 - 09:05 AM, said:

Then you are screwed. Right now, ifcrc for tilefromtexture is the only content filter we have for EDuke32, and if your build doesn't support that, you would have to manually load different defs.

So I just booted the game up in DOS and it turns out the credits screen is actually the screen you briefly see before you quite Duke Nukem 3D and exit back into the DOS enviroment where as in "Nuclear Winter" it actually replaces the "Plutonium Pak" credits which means in the EDuke32 source port you never actually see these screens.

So I just created a seperate directory of the pack with only the assets needed for "Life's A Beach" and edited the def files to reflect this this, then renamed and swapped images 2500 and 2504 and it's now just like Nuclear Winter with the credits image actually on the credits screen.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 02 June 2021 - 12:14 PM

View PostPhredreeke, on 02 June 2021 - 09:37 AM, said:

Perhaps you should report what your autoexecs are doing that crashes the game

I already did. I emailed with detail the address located on the EDuke32 website.

I'm assuming the devs are either busy or ignored me.

This post has been edited by Avenger: 02 June 2021 - 10:36 AM

User is offline   Boo 

This may seem a bit off-topic, but when I load the fixes with Duke Caribbean in EDuke32, it doesn't start, I just get a message that says "error compiling con files," -- has this happened to anyone else?

That is GAME.CON causing that. Delete it and it should work

• The Truth is in here

Get the latest release (https://github.com/N...leases/tag/1.41). It will fix this.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 12 June 2021 - 01:00 PM

User is offline   Jamesfff 

I followed the installation directions for this addon exactly (extract it into the autoload folder, enable that folder and run eduke32 [a very recent version, BTW]) and it didn't work! Why not?
log file is in spoiler below.

Spoiler

This post has been edited by Jamesfff: 18 June 2021 - 05:41 PM

Because you got the voxel pack in your autoload folder. If you want to use both you'll have to modifty Duke3D.def to include the correct def files

User is offline   jkas789 

View PostJamesfff, on 18 June 2021 - 05:40 PM, said:

I followed the installation directions for this addon exactly (extract it into the autoload folder, enable that folder and run eduke32 [a very recent version, BTW]) and it didn't work! Why not?
log file is in spoiler below.

Spoiler

The problem seems to be that you are trying to run both the Duke3D Voxel pack and the Widescreen fixes at the same time via autoload. That will never happen. AFAIK loading multiple duke3d.def s via autoload is not possible. So the way to make them work is to get your hands dirty and do a little bit of manual editing. For the sake of this example, I'm doing this on a clean install of eduke32 with the megaton grp:

1.- On the root of your eduke32 installation create a new folder. For this example we will call it MODS

Attached Image: Screenshot_2.jpg

2.- Download the voxel pack. Extract its contents into the MODS folder.

Attached Image: Screenshot_3.jpg

3.- Now download the Widescreen Fix mod and open the archive. Extract only this files into the MODS folder:

Attached Image: Screenshot_4.jpg

If you are asked to overwrite something, you fucked up, and you should start over again.

4.-Now that you are done copying shit, comes the important part. Open duke3d.def on a text editor like notepad. You should see this:

Attached Image: Screenshot_5.jpg

5.- add the following line
include duke3d_widefix.def
and then save and quit.

Attached Image: Screenshot_6.jpg

6.- Run eduke32. Open the drop down selection window and select the MODS folder.

Attached Image: Screenshot_7.jpg

7.- Run the game. Marvel at the cool mod stuff. Profit!

Attached Image: Screenshot_8.jpg

Attached Image: duke0000.png

Attached Image: duke0001.png

• The Truth is in here

The other solution, which is what I do, is to create another "mod" in the autoload folder which is a zipfile with just another duke3d.def inside containing all the defs you want to load. The trick is to name the zipfile so that it loads last since files are loaded alphabetically. A safe bet is a name like "zload.zip".

Side note: Raze is capable of loading multiple duke3d.def files cumulatively if they are using the -raze affix, i.e. duke3d-raze.def. If all mods use these, there's no need for any measure from your side. I wished EDuke32 had a similar feature since many users complain about the same issue over and over again.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 18 June 2021 - 10:41 PM

User is offline   Jamesfff 

Working now. Thanks.

What are the purpose of the "tilesxxx.art" files included in the zip?

I haven't noticed what they have replaced.

• The Truth is in here

Those are there to replace the Atomic font with the one from Duke3D v1.3D. Try removing them and see what happens. :P

This post has been edited by NightFright: 21 July 2021 - 09:28 PM

Something I thought of - maybe you should add the uncensored first aid kits and credit cards for users of the WT group file?

View PostPhredreeke, on 22 July 2021 - 07:43 AM, said:

Something I thought of - maybe you should add the uncensored first aid kits and credit cards for users of the WT group file?

You can already do that yourself by simply replacing the censored GRP that comes with World Tour with the stock 1.5 version if running EDuke32. Not sure if this will work with the terrible port it ships with but there's really no reason to run that with the stopgap available.

Speaking of World Tour, I found one issue with it:

Posted Image

Everything else seems to work as it should.

Any way to fix this?

This post has been edited by Avenger: 24 July 2021 - 03:34 PM

Open widescreen.def and look up this line

tilefromtexture 2506 { file "tiles/widescreen/2506.png" ifcrc 0xB4D28C6D }

Change 0xB4D28C6D to -478316613 and it should work.

This post has been edited by Phredreeke: 24 July 2021 - 03:55 PM

View PostPhredreeke, on 24 July 2021 - 03:54 PM, said:

Open widescreen.def and look up this line

tilefromtexture 2506 { file "tiles/widescreen/2506.png" ifcrc 0xB4D28C6D }

Change 0xB4D28C6D to -478316613 and it should work.

That took care of it.

Cheers.

• The Truth is in here

That one must have skipped my attention. Will fix it soon. But honestly, who is checking all these screens on a regular basis, anyway?

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 July 2021 - 07:20 AM

• The Truth is in here

Version 1.42 has been released.

Changelog:
- Added: Widescreen menu tiles 2500+2506 for World Tour
- Added: Fixed Skycar (2491) from World Tour for Atomic

This post has been edited by NightFright: 25 July 2021 - 09:52 PM

User is offline   jkas789 

Good stuff.

User is offline   Mentz 

How do I enable skyboxes?

Open Duke3D.def and add the line include scripts/skyboxes.def

However this will cause the blue skies in Life's a Beach to appear as the LA night skyline... also expect usermaps to show wrong coloured skies as well. Both are things I'm planning to address in the ERP...

• The Truth is in here

I advise against using skyboxes in EDuke32. Mainly added them since BuildGDX is (or wasn't?) able to render skies properly. Otherwise they wouldn't even be included.

This post has been edited by NightFright: 28 August 2021 - 02:51 PM

Yeah but Fox's city skybox looks so much better than the default.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options