Duke4.net Forums: [RELEASE] Widescreen Fixes for Duke3D - Duke4.net Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

[RELEASE] Widescreen Fixes for Duke3D  "Version 1.6 now available"

User is offline   NightFright 

• The Truth is in here

Someone asked on Github whether this can work with JFDuke3D. Is that even possible? I see there's a build from 2021 available (http://www.jonof.id.au/jfduke3d), but I have no idea about its technical capabilites. TBH I am surprised this even still exists and there are people actually using it.

Stuff I'm not sure JFDuke3D supports:
- Widescreen gfx in general
- tilefromtexture with xoff/yoff and ifcrc to selectively replace tiles from addons
- globalgameflags 1 (disables widescreen orientation bits for weapon sprites)
- tiles97-99.art to provide 1.3D redfont

User is offline   Phredreeke 

If you want vanilla accuracy, you use Rednukem. If you want fancy modding features you use EDuke32. I don't know where that leaves JFDuke3D other than being the granddaddy of Duke source ports.

Anyway, I downloaded JFDuke3D and the widescreen fix. First I created an autoload folder that I put the zip file in. Resulting in nothing. Then I extracted the zip file to the same folder as jfduke3d, again nothing.

• The Truth is in here

My expectation is that there's probably no way to make this work. I think not even tilefromtexture is supported.

In general, I'm wondering why anybody would willingly choose a clearly inferior, outdated port these days when there's at least four viable alternatives out there. I mean, JFDuke3D was the pioneer port which made the HRP possible and laid the foundation for EDuke32, but since many years, actually decades, it's little more than a historical artifact.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View PostNightFright, on 09 February 2024 - 02:47 PM, said:

I mean, JFDuke3D was the pioneer port which made the HRP possible and laid the foundation for EDuke32,

The other ports are also downstream from JFDuke3D, either directly (DukeGDX and Raze) or through EDuke32 (Rednukem), hence me calling it the grand daddy. But as I said Rednukem has superseded it as the "vanilla accurate" port

User is offline   JonoF 

I wouldn’t waste an ounce of effort trying to accommodate JFDuke3D. It reached its final form a long time ago.

• The Truth is in here

Well, if even the port author chimes in and states it's lost cause... :rolleyes:

• The Truth is in here

Special request:
Widescreen-ification of the "Duke Nukem Forever 2013" RPG launcher.
Posted Image
Not necessarily for this project, but for archiving purposes.

• The Truth is in here

Version 1.6 has been released, at long last!
As usual, download and changelog can be found on Github.

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options