• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

VoidSW Public Beta

User is offline   MetHy 

View PostMetHy, on 26 September 2020 - 05:03 AM, said:

Couple of glitches I found:

1) some sprites/voxels turn to tile#0 when viewed through the RoR portal. I've only found 2 examples so far and I've been unable to pinpoint the exact cause as of yet:

- in $HIDTEMP.MAP, you can see this tile from the upper floor. The sprite is actually an ST1 so there should be nothing visible, and there is nothing visible on the lower floor

https://i.imgur.com/z8X0ada.png

- in $BATH.MAP these 2 medkits turn into tile#0 when viewed from the upper floor:

https://i.imgur.com/7X4hBVf.png
https://i.imgur.com/Uw7SdWy.png

Don't know if this helps but I just noticed something else about this: the glithy sprites pick up light fx from the other floor. Example: lower floor has the sprite and no flickering light, and the upper floor has a flickering light. When viewed through the portal from the upper floor: the sprite will turn to another tile and be affected by the flickering light.
It also seems that only effect sprites and pick-up sprites are affected by this whole thing, as purely decorative sprites will not turn to another tile and won't pick up the flickering light.

This post has been edited by MetHy: 02 October 2020 - 06:28 AM

User is offline   MetHy 

2) In $SUBBASE.MAP this keycard voxel can only be seen from the back. It is worth noting that the keycard sprite is one-sided so this is also a mapping issue, however the original SW behaviour is that voxels are not affected by the one-sided bit as the keycard voxel can be seen from all sides in the original game:

The exact same issue also happens in Twin Dragon's Crazy Train and I think this one is even more nasty

Dos:
https://i.imgur.com/39aiCu1.png

Voidsw:
https://i.imgur.com/fou2qpr.png

User is offline   Camjrp 

how do i build this on linux?

User is offline   MetHy 

About voxels and cstat, the original game's voxels didn't support transparency either but they do in VoidSW. This doesn't seem to be a real issue however, the only case I remember seeing is the transparent Fortunie Cookie in the phone booth in Wanton Destruction's 8th level "Train".

It's funny to see these issues brought up now because all this time nobody, not even the original devs then, played without voxels.

I have also found a rendering glitch with this switch showing up through this poster (I had no idea there was a secret place there!). I believe this switch isn't supposed to be seen as it is behind the poster and pressing use on the poster (on the switch) opens the secret:
https://i.imgur.com/u4Ve2iP.png

Another example in $airport.map (the flag on the right), again giving away the position of a secret place which is otherwise very hard to find:

Attached Image: swcp0072.png

In both cases the switch is located in a small alcove sector hidden behind the poster/flag sprite

This post has been edited by MetHy: 26 October 2020 - 08:34 AM

User is offline   randir14 

Frame pacing feels weird in VoidSW, almost like a barely perceptible micro stutter even though the game is locked to 144fps with a solid frametime graph.

User is offline   jkas789 

Not gonna lie, I have been noticing the same since the last update (r9271). I have tested closing all possible background applications that could be contributing to this however I keep noticing this microstutters.

Unfortunately I can't make a video demonstrating it as recording and playing at the same time causes stuttering in game.

User is offline   randir14 

View Postjkas789, on 29 October 2020 - 11:21 AM, said:

Not gonna lie, I have been noticing the same since the last update (r9271). I have tested closing all possible background applications that could be contributing to this however I keep noticing this microstutters.

Unfortunately I can't make a video demonstrating it as recording and playing at the same time causes stuttering in game.

I also tested Shadow Warrior with BuildGDX and Raze, neither had the same issue. In fact Raze runs like butter which is weird since I thought it was based on VoidSW code.

I have not tested the issue with other source ports but I'm at home atm so I'll try it out and report if on my side it is a user issue or a possible source port issue.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

View Postrandir14, on 29 October 2020 - 11:34 AM, said:

I also tested Shadow Warrior with BuildGDX and Raze, neither had the same issue. In fact Raze runs like butter which is weird since I thought it was based on VoidSW code.

The game side code is based on VoidSW. the engine side code is different, it uses Polymost to generate geometry but then uses its own backend to draw it.

Can confirm, a micro stutter on my machine (a laptop with a gtx 960m, i7 6700 hq and 16 gb of ram, and two ssd one of 100 gb and the other of 1 tb) while playing Shadow Warrior on 1920x1080. I tried lowering the resolution to 720 however I noticed the same stutter. It a minor thing frankly and not very noticeable, but it is there.

Edit: forgot to add, im using the void executable of the latest synth r9273.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 29 October 2020 - 12:33 PM

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I think this happens in everything that uses Polymost.

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Can you try different values of the r_glfinish cvar? If that changes nothing, please see: https://forums.duke4...ing-megathread/

View PostHendricks266, on 29 October 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Can you try different values of the r_glfinish cvar? If that changes nothing, please see: https://forums.duke4...ing-megathread/

Changed the value from 0 to 1 and Jesus Christ the game plays so smooth now. I tried to play through as many busy maps as I could remember and yup. No micro stutters. Should this value be changed every time I load the game?

User is offline   Hendricks266 

• Weaponized Autism

Glad to hear that's all it took to fix your issue. It not being saved is a bug.

Now what we need to figure out is how the engine can detect what the correct behavior should be depending on the user's setup and do that automatically without needing this user-tunable knob.

User is offline   BFG9000 

getting a weird graphical glitch(?) in the first level where you get the rocket launcher. The textures will flash and sort of "jump".. that's the best way I can put it at least.

User is offline   Phredreeke 

Could you perhaps record the glitch with OBS? Also what renderer were you using?

Recording of the glitch in the rocket launcher room while playing Shadow Warrior with VoidSW. Latest revision with polimost settings at 1080p. I disabled every mod except the voxel mod for better framerate while recording.

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

View Postjkas789, on 03 December 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

Recording of the glitch in the rocket launcher room while playing Shadow Warrior with VoidSW. Latest revision with polimost settings at 1080p. I disabled every mod except the voxel mod for better framerate while recording.

Had same problem when I tried older revisions of VoidSW. At first, I assumed it had something to do with a fov. Now, I am not sure.

View PostBubble Gum Chewer, on 04 December 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

Had same problem when I tried older revisions of VoidSW. At first, I assumed it had something to do with a fov. Now, I am not sure.

I initially thought it was was a problem with my graphics card. I'm trying to see if there are other places in the game were this happens.

User is offline   MetHy 

1) Please try to see if this happens without using widescreen resolutions and/or with different FOVs

2) Check if it happens in this version of the map I just joined, which deletes the viewscreen. My hunch is that it has something to do with it.

Attached File(s)

View PostMetHy, on 05 December 2020 - 03:34 AM, said:

1) Please try to see if this happens without using widescreen resolutions and/or with different FOVs

2) Check if it happens in this version of the map I just joined, which deletes the viewscreen. My hunch is that it has something to do with it.

I have confirmed that it happens with low screen resolutions (tested this from 1920x1080 to 800x600 on all types of fovs). I haven't been able to test the map as I don't quite know how to load user maps in VoidSW.

Edit: I'm thinking on testing it with older versions of VoidSW as I remember this not being a issue with older revisions.

Edit 2: Hendricks kindly told me in the discord the command to play with user maps and I can confirm that the glitch disappeared while testing MetHy's version of the map.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 05 December 2020 - 05:40 PM

I have been playing the game combing the levels (slowly as time permits me) to see if I can encounter the same glitch elsewhere. Found it again in E1M3 in the Jackie Chan secret with the portals:

EDIT: So as it turns out (This info is from Hendricks, thanks a lot for clarifying it on Discord :) ), this only happens if the FOV is below or above 90.

This post has been edited by jkas789: 13 December 2020 - 03:18 AM

Guest_Bubble Gum Chewer_*

View Postjkas789, on 13 December 2020 - 02:16 AM, said:

I have been playing the game combing the levels (slowly as time permits me) to see if I can encounter the same glitch elsewhere. Found it again in E1M3 in the Jackie Chan secret with the portals:

EDIT: So as it turns out (This info is from Hendricks, thanks a lot for clarifying it on Discord :) ), this only happens if the FOV is below or above 90.

Figures, my FOV is 100 or above if possible.

Hi, there's a bug in Twin Dragon's level, The Fishing Village. This bug is also present in Redux and the original Shadow Warrior.

If you activate the ending switch jumping sideways, the game makes you skip the next level Secret Garden straight to Fortress.

Normally, you wouldn't jump, but depending on the resolution, the collision detection of the switch changes so you can't activate it standing, thus how I discovered the bug. (This damn thing made me ragequit)

I hope I was clear enough, it's my first time here.
:D :D

User is offline   BFG9000 

Even with a few issues it's amazing how much better this plays than Shadow Warrior Redux, at least for me. No matter what I do Redux always looks like it's running below 60fps, but this is incredibly smooth

User is offline   Kil3r 

Great job on the port. I played through both SW and WD with it. I did encounter a couple bugs but I can't remember all of them anymore. One that I do remember is that with the widescreen weapons the shotgun alt fire red light was shifted to the right(therefore didn't cover the sprite properly). This was my first playthrough of SW. I gotta say, a very great port for a very good game. Kudos!

This post has been edited by Kil3r: 03 February 2021 - 11:30 PM

User is offline   Striker 

• Auramancer

View Postjkas789, on 03 December 2020 - 06:52 PM, said:

That almost looks as if the FOV is getting screwed up somehow.

User is offline   Anacronox 

Latest releases dont detect wd,grp for some reason. Tried both windows & linux versions. Base game & TD do work. Buildgdx or good old dosbox run just fine with same wd.grp. Any ideas what might have cause it?

View PostAnacronox, on 07 February 2021 - 10:31 PM, said:

Latest releases don't detect wd,grp for some reason. Tried both windows & linux versions. Base game & TD do work. Buildgdx or good old dosbox run just fine with same wd.grp. Any ideas what might have cause it?

Are you sure? I'm using the latest revision r9310 and it detects it all right:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Maybe you are not installing it correctly?

This post has been edited by jkas789: 07 February 2021 - 10:49 PM

User is offline   Anacronox 

Hm its not like there are multiple overly complicated ways to install it. All 3 grps are in the same folder plus voidsw. Yet checksum on wt.grp apparently fails as its not shown on game tab. The game itself is from original cd expansions from moddb. Oh well good to know the problem is actually on my end though i have no idea what might cause it. As i said buildgdx & original exe detect it just fine.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options