Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   Mark 

Looking great. I taught Leon everything he knows about mapping. :rolleyes:

User is offline   jimbob 

dining cart on the obligatory train map

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0000.png

User is offline   Graphics 

Working on the 16bit Deathmatch expansion to my Retro Deathmatch mod. I hope to add this map one day.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0045.png

This post has been edited by Graphics: 10 March 2023 - 12:03 AM

User is offline   jimbob 

a vehicle that should wreak some havoc

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: fs1-1.png

Just an update to my mod. Finished texturing the house, rocks, trees and bushes. I also finished the geometry in the path leading up to the house. It was tricky to pull off because of how the Build Engine works.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0055.png

I'm calling this project The Legend of Nukem, A Duke to the Past. Also, added more textures. Though this map is hard to recreate in the build engine. I'm having a lot of fun creating it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0089.png

This post has been edited by Graphics: 15 March 2023 - 02:43 AM

Sorry to keep posting. Here when no one else has. I'm just really excited to be creating this map. Been working through the night on this one. Carefully measuring things and creating textures from the original game. It's not as easy as it looks. Many things like the hills can seem to defi logic. Thank you for letting me share this.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0093.png

User is offline   dwtietz 

This is still a work in progress, but I'm currently trying to give security camera viewing a bit of an upgrade.

The HUD is now disabled when the cameras are activated, and the scan lines, static, and blinking red dot have been replaced with a camera control overlay. The next steps include bringing the blinking back for the "* REC" symbol in the upper left, and removing the time at the top as it's a static image and does not change and replace it with the game's own internal running time that will be constantly changed and updated.

Here's a before & after shot of where I'm currently at:

Attached Image: Security_Camera_display_Before & After.png

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 20 March 2023 - 03:47 AM

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

View PostGraphics, on 20 March 2023 - 02:57 AM, said:

Sorry to keep posting. Here when no one else has.

Don't apologize. Slow periods in this thread aren't your fault so go for it.

Understood. Then in that case... Did a little more detailing to the map. Hope you guys like it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0096.png

User is offline   VGames 

Dang right out of the SNES

I think I have all of the final touches for my security camera viewing screens in place now. Aside from the static image of camera controls, I've also added a working time display that gets it's time from the game's internal clock that counts the amount of time that the player has been playing, and a unique camera ID number appears in the lower left corner for each camera.

Attached Image: Sample 2023-03-25.png

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 26 March 2023 - 01:37 PM

User is offline   Aleks 

After a rather hectic few months where I had to concentrate 100% of my creative energy on professional work, I can finally enjoy some mapping. First thing I did was create "prefabs" art tiles that would include a group of same tile - with X and Y repeats as in some spriteworks present in my map - to save on the total number of sprites and also on rendering simultaneously, as this was the major problem with the map. Ended up cutting down about 800 sprites so far, might do some more. The only restrictions is that they all have to be in the same sector, so that they wouldn't disappear when their parent sector is not rendering. Ended up with some very large tiles of about 2000 pixels over one dimension, but the game is handling them surprisingly well. I was expecting there might be some discrepancies with such large sprites regarding the approximations, but didn't encounter any.

Also did some more "creative" work, mostly touches on the outside area. The space shown below felt quite empty, so I've put some life into it - especially happy with how the railings turned out.
Attached Image: duke0002.png Attached Image: duke0003.png

User is online   ck3D 

So good, loving all the creative texture and sprite work, and the scale with the mirror play in the background. Use of the ruins/canyonish texture for the roof gets me, unexpected and at the same time surprisingly fitting.

something based on derelict

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: wire.gif

User is offline   jimbob 

some random german streets of a town called bauernloch

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: bl1.jpg
  • Attached Image: bl2.jpg
  • Attached Image: bl3.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

Such a bright and cheerful city. :P

View Postjimbob, on 04 April 2023 - 11:25 AM, said:

some random german streets of a town called bauernloch

Screenshots are lookin' great jimbob!

If you were Canadian, I would have suggested that this looks like the perfect place for a "KRÜPE MEATS" Easter egg. "KRÜPE MEATS" is from a "Kids in the Hall" comedy skit titled "Sausages", and while the skit takes place in America somewhere, the screenshots of this town still look like the right sort of environment for it, and with a company name like "KRÜPE" it's not hard to imagine that the company may have originated in Germany or something...

Attached Image: SAUSAGES.png

User is offline   jimbob 

i can make a Krüpe meats butcher shop :D

whipped up this box, can scatter them around town :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: boxsideKFkiss.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 05 April 2023 - 01:52 PM

User is offline   Mark 

A butcher shop about a mile from my home on Beecher street is named Beecher Meats. They used to answer the phone "Hello, Beecher Meats, can I help you?" :lol:

User is offline   jimbob 

working on the butchers

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0001.png

View Postjimbob, on 05 April 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

i can make a Krüpe meats butcher shop :D

whipped up this box, can scatter them around town :D

Haha! That's awesome - and hilarious!

User is offline   Aleks 

Mostly working on salvaging the walls to be able to add enough polish to the outside areas, but made the beach look a lot more lively and also added the ladders for easy access out of the river. Also did a little crazy maskwall around the church to mimick a neat fence, this area will not be accessible anyway, so I just lowered the parallaxed invisible ceiling around it.
Attached Image: duke0000.png

The scripts aren't entirely bug free just yet (no pun intended), and they don't always behave quite the way that I want them to at the moment, but nonetheless, I do have fully autonomous butterflies now that can take off and land on the ground (and sometimes even on tree branches, flowers, etc.) and roam about the map at their own leisure.

Video: Fully Autonomous Butterflies

I've even seen them successfully navigate through a narrow tunnel on their own that I was expecting them to have great difficulty with, so that came as a pleasant surprise. The flight isn't as choppy as it might appear in the video either... It's all running pretty smooth so far.

User is offline   Mike Norvak 

• Music Producer

View PostAleks, on 30 March 2023 - 12:31 PM, said:

After a rather hectic few months where I had to concentrate 100% of my creative energy on professional work, I can finally enjoy some mapping. First thing I did was create "prefabs" art tiles that would include a group of same tile - with X and Y repeats as in some spriteworks present in my map - to save on the total number of sprites and also on rendering simultaneously, as this was the major problem with the map. Ended up cutting down about 800 sprites so far, might do some more. The only restrictions is that they all have to be in the same sector, so that they wouldn't disappear when their parent sector is not rendering. Ended up with some very large tiles of about 2000 pixels over one dimension, but the game is handling them surprisingly well. I was expecting there might be some discrepancies with such large sprites regarding the approximations, but didn't encounter any.

Also did some more "creative" work, mostly touches on the outside area. The space shown below felt quite empty, so I've put some life into it - especially happy with how the railings turned out.
Attachment duke0002.png Attachment duke0003.png

Beautiful!

User is offline   jimbob 

wrecking the streets for some war damage. then figure out how to proceed to the next area ( aka finding realistic ways to block off obvious streets )

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 11 April 2023 - 10:37 AM

View Postjimbob, on 11 April 2023 - 10:37 AM, said:

wrecking the streets for some war damage. then figure out how to proceed to the next area ( aka finding realistic ways to block off obvious streets )

If there are multiple streets, I don't think I'd take the same approach on every street as that would be to repetitious, but for one or two streets, you could have a mutli-story building on one side of the street that is partially collapsed with a huge debris field spilling out into the middle of the road, blocking off access to the rest of the street behind it.

Attached Image: sandhurstweb.jpg.gallery.jpg

Using something similar to the idea of a check point (Like Check Point Charlie shown here) with barbed wire blocking off access to the rest of the street from each corner of the building could be another way:

Attached Image: CheckpointCharlie.jpg

Then there are other obvious barriers, most of which would block the view down the street so maybe not as ideal if you do want the player to be able to see further down the road:

Attached Image: Mauermodell_fuerWeissesHintergrund-barriers.png

This post has been edited by dwtietz: 11 April 2023 - 06:54 PM

User is offline   jimbob 

i havent done a checkpoint yet :)

[edit] well ihave now :D

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0000.png

This post has been edited by jimbob: 12 April 2023 - 01:04 AM

Because I have to be careful about making any fan made work from Nintendo's intellectual properties. I'm going to stop working on my Link to the Past map, and stop being a fan of Nintendo. Because clearly, now they're playing with power.

Instead, I have something inspired from Road Rash 3d's open areas that I'm creating for the AMC mod. I cancelled the last map for AMC because I wasn't happy with how it was turning out. Since I was given a deadline of about a year (3 months ago) I'm hoping to create something that will be remembered in the mod. That of course is, if the final product (this map) qualifies for the upcoming episode... I'm hoping it will.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0017.png

This post has been edited by Graphics: 21 April 2023 - 04:01 AM

Just wanted to share an update on how the map looks. Hope you guys like it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0020.png

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options