Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

Blender can be a little tricky at first but you really can't complain for something this powerful and free

User is offline   Zaxtor 

I use blender sometime

I had a .fbx file that Maya (would import but wouldn't appear)

So I used blender to import it and export as obj

Then maya to load the mesh thing and add the "texture" on the art.
Then export it as obj (with texture)
and poly2vox to convert to voxel

Making a Jotunn statue (creature from the movie Ritual)

User is offline   Mark 

I know it sounds odd but it has too many features for my liking. There is alway so much clutter of buttons, menus and icons. To fit all of those on the screen and still leave enough workspace they have to be so tiny its harder for my old tired eyes. Lots of those features I don't think I'll ever use. I had been hoping over the years that a "lite" version of Blender would happen. Thats what made me try BFA. It was designed to be easier to navigate the basics.

User is offline   Mark 

I started messing with an old freeware program called Sculptris a few days ago. If I find the patience to stick with it and get good at it I can finally make something other than just prop models.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: testface.jpg

User is offline   Mark 

An experiment. I sculpted and textured a terrain model and placed it in the map. Now the harder part which is to make a clipshape of roughly the same shape with sectors in the clipshape.map of eduke32. It doesn't have to be highly detailed, just follow the general slopes

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0006.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt0010.jpg

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

if sculptris keeps it's subdivision layers, you could export the raw mesh to Blender, then decimate it to get your clip mesh.

User is offline   Mark 

are you saying Blender could convert the terrain into the map format?
I can decimate the model in Sculptris but I still need a way to get that into map format ( model=sectors )

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 July 2019 - 03:31 AM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Out of curiosity, why the experiment? If you’re going to sculpt terrain, you’re starting to miss the point of using a 2.5D engine, and might as well use something fully 3D.

User is offline   Mark 

Build is the only platform I am ever going to mod on and it is currently very difficult to do detailed terrain with sectors. Out of curiosity, if you're against pushing the limits of Eduke32 then why did you latch on to TROR? or models in general?

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 July 2019 - 04:23 AM

• Honored Donor

I like pushing limits to see what is possible. Once I’ve done that, I tend to back away and move into other areas. I did some very advanced TROR with Parkade and Ghost Ship, the latter being a map in Episode 2 of the AMC TC, but since then I haven’t abused it anywhere near as much. TROR is also a core part of the eduke32 engine, whereas models aren’t really intended to be anything more than decorative props and actors. If you wanted to change the terrain for example, either texture or geometry, you’d have to go back into your modelling program, change it, and re-import it; a time-consuming process, as opposed to a 3D engine where this can be done explicitly within the map editor. I can see why you’d do it as an experiment, although it’s not very practical for general game design in Build.

However, you generally wouldn’t need to create such realistic terrain. With 2.5D engines such as this, people expect simpler and more blocky architecture, and these engines excel at doing that. We can get away with some relatively basic terrain for this reason.

I’m not sure what your model comment is referring to. I did put in a request a while ago for you to build a 3D model of a cycloid mothership for the AMC TC, which I’m very grateful for. We then converted that into a voxel which served as a decorative prop, and voxels are a core part of the engine, having been fully supported since 1997 and in both polymost and classic.

This post has been edited by Micky C: 01 July 2019 - 04:49 AM

User is offline   Mark 

Same thing here. Its an experiment to see what can be done. I'm in the middle of more "mundane" projects right now.

It would be way too much effort, near impossible, to use for an entire map. My thinking is for more of a outside connecting area between conventional sector buildings or other structures. Another good use,without clipshapes is for use in non-playable border areas of a map. My projects usually include those for realism/eye candy. I don't want to settle for another square, flat cliff face.

I'm not too concerned about what most players want. If I did I wouldn't be using high res, custom textures and models along with lots of Polymer lighting in all my projects. :D

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 July 2019 - 05:55 AM

User is offline   Kyanos 

I also experimented with model terrain in build. My 2 cents are that it is completely feasable. The clipshape feature works well, although cumbersome at times, it is not too difficult to avoid clipping issues with blocking sprites to assist more detailed or layered 3D stuff. The biggest problem I recall was actors and bouncing projectiles behaving poorly as compared to true sector level geometry.

This post has been edited by Photonic: 01 July 2019 - 06:04 AM

• Honored Donor

Ok I’ll shut my mouth and slink away back to my hole. If people want to do model terrain, that’s their prerogative.

User is offline   Kyanos 

A new player character for something I've been working on these past couple years.
Posted Image

haven't been working on anything Duke for a bit (thanks Steam Summer Sale) but I'm back on the horse
Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Kyanos 

View PostPhotonic, on 06 July 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

A new player character for something I've been working on these past couple years.

It's evolving.
Attached Image: 1430.png

View PostPhotonic, on 13 July 2019 - 02:25 PM, said:

It's evolving.
Attachment 1430.png

"Your face, your ass what's the difference?

User is offline   Kyanos 

Attached Image: duke0000.png
One last little screenshot.

Quick update
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Tea Monster 

• Polymancer

Posted Image

User is offline   Ninety-Six 

Is that like a new version of the skycar?

User is offline   Mark 

My guess is yes.

User is offline   Loke 

A couple of AMC TC Episode 4 shots.

Posted Image

Posted Image

User is offline   Radar 

• King of SOVL

No words.

User is offline   Mark 

Fantastic. I've said for years that with the right assets and mapper the Build engine can look as good or better than many commercial games.

User is offline   MusicallyInspired 

• The Sarien Encounter

Wow. I think it's about time I play this AMC TC thing. I haven't played Duke3D user maps and mods in eons.

This post has been edited by MusicallyInspired: 19 July 2019 - 07:32 PM

Damn those are gorgeous. You guys work fast.

User is offline   Loke 

View PostMark, on 19 July 2019 - 03:46 PM, said:

Fantastic. I've said for years that with the right assets and mapper the Build engine can look as good or better than many commercial games.

Yeah, just look at Ion Fury and DNF2013.

View PostMusicallyInspired, on 19 July 2019 - 07:32 PM, said:

Wow. I think it's about time I play this AMC TC thing. I haven't played Duke3D user maps and mods in eons.

Do it. Though I'd recommend waiting a bit (probably weeks) for the big update the team is working on.

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 July 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

Damn those are gorgeous. You guys work fast.

We'd go even faster if we had more mappers. :dukecigar:

View PostLoke, on 19 July 2019 - 11:18 PM, said:

Do it. Though I'd recommend waiting a bit (probably weeks) for the big update the team is working on.

There's another update coming? Already?

User is offline   Loke 

View PostNinety-Six, on 19 July 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

There's another update coming? Already?

Yep, mostly eye-candy stuff and bug fixes. Don't want to spoil too much or James will have my ass.

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options