Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   DavoX 

• Honored Donor

ahhhh that's fucking awesome.

User is offline   Mark 

Thanks. I can't take all of the credit because Diaz laid a good foundation with the original demo many years ago. He did a hell of a lot of work and if I complete all the things I have planned it will balance to an even partnership. :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Mark: 22 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

User is offline   Player Lin 

View PostTerminX, on 16 November 2018 - 08:58 AM, said:

Need a new map format for that one.

Uh, maybe something like this? But I think it may still too early since there's still other things needed to improve for EDuke32 to doing something like new map format or other new things... :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by Player Lin: 24 November 2018 - 02:14 AM

User is offline   Maisth 

Attached Image: duke0000.png

Still working on The Collapse, Gotta say, this sprite experiment I'm doing is quite tiresome, you really gotta know the structure you want to create before you actually make it, otherwise its a mess, specially with sprites.

PS: The ceiling is made out of sprites, keep that in mind when seeing the room lmao.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 24 November 2018 - 04:28 AM

User is offline   quakis 

That's some nice lighting, has a strong ambience. Now hoping there'll be a neat exterior window view to complete the picture. Also, perhaps consider giving tile #370 a try, the wooden trim might help further solidify the look of your wood furnishings.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Nice!
How does it work in classic tho? Those 6 ceiling tiles might disappear if you're not looking at the correct sectors. Did you use expertmode to get around it ?

User is offline   Perro Seco 

View Postoasiz, on 24 November 2018 - 06:23 AM, said:

Did you use expertmode to get around it?
Excuse me, but what is expertmode? Can I make spritework like that in software mode?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

expertmode disables safeguards, which allows you to put sprites in sectors they are not in.
i.e. if you have a small sector and a bigger sprite on it, you can make the sprite logically be in different sectors but visually in that tiny sector. This prevents the sprite from disappearing when you're looking at the sprite but can't see the tiny sector.
Other option it allows is to join non-neighbouring sectors, one useful feature is allowing bogus firstwalls. Got some videos about this (man, 3 years already :rolleyes: )

(whole lid shares a firstwall that gives it identical properties)

These both abuse expertmode a bit.
I some times use it to pull off complicated slope shapes that are split in to tiny sectors.

As for an answer to your question, it varies wildly. Usually having sprites next to other sprites is asking for trouble so watching that ceiling work at odd angles might cause priority glitching.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Oh yeah, and to enable it, type this in console: script_expertmode 1

User is offline   Maisth 

Nice!
How does it work in classic tho? Those 6 ceiling tiles might disappear if you're not looking at the correct sectors. Did you use expertmode to get around it ?

Classic is a mess, so I wont recommend playing in that mode, as for the expert mode, I haven't use that in this map, yet... I remember using in The Tower though it didn't work that well.

This post has been edited by Maisth: 24 November 2018 - 01:02 PM

User is offline   Micky C 

• Honored Donor

Nice!

Wouldn’t that be an issue in OpenGL as well? I thought that was an engine issue as opposed to a renderer issue.

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

OpenGL does a better job of handling priorities, not amazing but sector boundary culling works a bit differently from what I have seen, a bit more forgiving in polymost. I don't have any example cases right now but this is often seen as parts of sprite disappearing due to some wall corner being nearby. Also applies to stuff like wall aligned sprites clipping through floor aligned other sprites some times iirc.

• Honored Donor

Which effect are you using for that?

@kkap123 nice looking pool

User is offline   BL1TZKRI3G 

I'm working on a shitty Doom mod that stars Dick Kickum.

I guess thats Duke related.

View PostKKAP123, on 07 December 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

Moon Rover, Moon Rover, Roll Over!

sexy as hell

Building a house right now:
Posted Image

I'm using a lot of textures from Tekwar, but almost all of them have some minor changes. The white marble texture wasn't tileable in the original game, so I fixed it. I think it looks better now.

User is offline   Gambini 

A humble advice: Try to play a bit more with shading and color to add depth. The arquitecture is good but from a first glance it takes some time to understand the space and what surface belongs to which area.

This post has been edited by Gambini: 11 December 2018 - 04:43 PM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Making my old mod Oblivion in HRP (polymost)
improving stuff,
Will add expansion (6 extra levels)

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 11 December 2018 - 11:14 PM

View PostGambini, on 11 December 2018 - 04:43 PM, said:

A humble advice: Try to play a bit more with shading and color to add depth. The arquitecture is good but from a first glance it takes some time to understand the space and what surface belongs to which area.
Thanks for the advice! Glad to hear the opinion of an experienced mapper. However, I have to admit that since 2012-2013 I started obsessing with simplicity in level design and texture use, so I'm not planing on adding extra shadows, and also I don't like the idea of showing too many colors/textures at the same time. But I can ensure that space is much more understandable in game than in the screenshot. :)

• Honored Donor

View PostPerro Seco, on 13 December 2018 - 07:15 AM, said:

Thanks for the advice! Glad to hear the opinion of an experienced mapper. However, I have to admit that since 2012-2013 I started obsessing with simplicity in level design and texture use, so I'm not planing on adding extra shadows, and also I don't like the idea of showing too many colors/textures at the same time. But I can ensure that space is much more understandable in game than in the screenshot. :)

I'm sure Gambini isn't suggesting anything complicated. Check out this post for an idea of what he's talking about, the shading is simple but incredibly powerful; https://forums.duke4...ost__p__242890.

I read that post some weeks ago; very useful. It wouldn't be too much work to add something like that, but I like how it looks right now.

Don't worry, there are other places shaded that way. Here are some pics (sorry for the small size):

Spoiler

Anyway, I can't afford this kind of effects everywhere; some levels represent entire cities, and I'm almost hitting the wall limit, despite I try to build lot of things with sprites (stairs, balconies, etc).

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostMark, on 22 November 2018 - 02:53 PM, said:

Slowly but surely still working on the remake of SuburbsTC. Someone found more unfinished maps which means a lot more work for me. Its getting close to the point that I'm considering asking for a helper. We'll see.

Cool!

• Honored Donor

Merry Christmas everyone. A teaser for Episode 4.

Posted Image

User is offline   Jaap 

View PostMicky C, on 24 December 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Merry Christmas everyone. A teaser for Episode 4.

Posted Image

Skipping 3? :)

Joyeux Noël !!!!!!

I'm affraid I don't really understand what I see O_o, A big house/palace ? In an Asian setting ?

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Nice cliffs, works well with that shared firstwall.
Should look quite nice after a detail pass.

User is offline   Kyanos 

I've been putting some finishing touches on this map, a full re-texture. It may just see some action soon, started it in 2014.
Attached Image: capt0002.png
Attached Image: capt0004.png

User is offline   Mark 

Its good to see you back in action after all this time.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

On the HRP version of Oblivion im working on

In the original Oblivion in E3L1 the sky is plain blue, nothing.
but I will make it more spectacular for HRP.

I'm working on something cool, tested and works

An actual solar eclipse that occurs during the playing of the earliest levels of E3.
Not total eclipse but about 90%, will make outdoors quite dark for a bit.
Here is an example (in the middle of the eclipse)

The moon would move 4 pixels per 30 sec (ifcount 900).
if you let say finish the level before the eclipse is over, in the next level it will still be where it were as in the previous level.
The sun part of the sky take will be small in KB size so it wont cause lag each frames movement.
Rest of sky ranging >2kb to <7kb
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options