Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is online   zykov eddy 

Damn, this is crazy. I only did the scripted boss battle once - in Sonic 3D, the second boss, Eggman (I thought I made something special at that time, lol).

Can't wait to play your mod and fight this thing!

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

(now posting in the right thread)

Zoo map in Doom style

8bit and 32bit modes

Posted Image Posted Image

This post has been edited by Fox: 13 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

User is offline   Darkus 

OK, now it's time to see on what I'm working on:

Posted Image

It's only a sample, I will make no map, but i'll release the sprites/tiles once I ripped the all of I can (i'm working on it about some months).

The problem is that I can't get the sprites from some monsters when they are shooting from back or side, so I'm afraid that I release it incomplete (I only managed to get full walking animations).
Now I'm trying to get fully CyberKeef... I think it will be finished all sprites/tiles before the end of the month.

Another little sample:
Posted Image

User is online   Lunick 

Ahaha I knew it!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

How are you doing this? Are you screen-ripping them or are you a wizard?

(You might be able to get shooting animations by utilizing multiplayer with monsters enabled, but I don't know if that's feasible via your methods.)

This post has been edited by Captain Awesome: 14 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   Fox 

• Fraka kaka kaka kaka-kow!

There is no multiplayer with monster option in Total Meltdown.

User is offline   Darkus 

View PostLunick, on 14 June 2012 - 01:11 PM, said:

Ahaha I knew it!

Congratulations Lunick, you won... A pig-in-a-dress!
Attached Image: DressPig.png

View PostCaptain Awesome, on 14 June 2012 - 09:12 PM, said:

How are you doing this? Are you screen-ripping them or are you a wizard?

I would like to be a wizard, so things would done faster... But seriously, I'm currently using a program to see and ripping directly the contents of the Video RAM of the save states. If ripping map tiles is easy, getting monsters sprites is much more difficult...
There is a small area in the VRAM that always change into the monster's frame that is displayed near the player. To get it, I must make sure that he take all possible poses in all directions and quickly using save state (this is like taking a screenshot). Then I use the VRAM viewer to get the sprite at correct size and color.
As you see, I can't get the frame while he's diving from back, because he turn towards you too quick that the frame is not displayed. I even tried tricky thing like using holoduke, pushing him against a wall while shooting him, and mirrors don't help at all. This is the same thing for the other pigs monsters.

For now, it's CyberKeef that gives me trouble, because I have difficulty to get the 4th walking animation frames (2655 to 2659 in Mapster). CyberKeef behavior is identical to BattleLord, and these frames are only displayed when he's charging at you.

However, some other monsters are complete like Octabrain, recon vehicle and the shark-drone (probably because they don't have a lot of frames).

User is online   Lunick 

View PostDarkus, on 15 June 2012 - 03:54 AM, said:

Congratulations Lunick, you won... A pig-in-a-dress!
Attachment DressPig.png

:)

User is offline   LAW 

^^ Wow. Great work. But I have lost all hope for the maps :-P

Anyway here is what I have been working on now. It's not Duke, but heavily based on it. The port is going to the right direction. Redneck haven't died yet :-)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: erampage.jpg

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

I love LAW.

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Making all sort of fun tricks with or involving TROR.

One of the coolest thing you can make is 2 gears turning. But they're above eachothers and the 2 turns diff ways. One counter-clockwise and clockwise.

A long time ago (sometime last year) someone at a different place had gotten me interested in the data behind that GBA Duke Nukem 3D game, and I started poking at it with a hex editor. After some searches and experiments, I created a utility named SpriteMan, which can rip data from any of the three Southpaw engine games (including Duke Nukem Advance, of course), and I dumped all the game sprites and textures. They rotted for a while until someone asked me about the potential of using them for a project, and I had given it to them. This sparked interest in the resources again, however, and I downloaded EDuke to see if I could reimplement Duke Nukem Advance into the original game. I had previously converted one map by eyeballing it in a GBA emulator (which isn't very hard as Southpaw does not seem to support texture transformations like Build does) to the zdoom engine, but it would be more logical to do it in EDuke since I wouldn't have to completely reimplement things like the enemies, but also has the disadvantage that this is a completely unfamiliar environment to me. I started converting the first level over, using my original zdoom map as a base. It looked a bit like this

Posted Image

All the textures are truecolor .PNGs referenced by a .def file, and they kind of work, but something quickly became apparent -- the scale on the GBA would be difficult to replicate accruately. Leave everything at default scale, and Duke's too small. Use 50% scale, and duke's suddenly too big. I could probably use something like 75% scale, but I fear that would make the vertex coords a lot less friendly. Normally I'd just resize things like Duke to make it fit better, but the Duke Nukem engine started resisting all my efforts to do so, with the hardcoded aspects of Duke's size. I tried just shifting the view point a bit, but my logic for that didn't work very well and it still didn't solve the problem that Duke's bounding box was still too small. There might be workarounds for these issues, but I'm not aware what they are.

My latest project has been trying to reverse engineer the map format, which has been a pipedream, because I haven't a clue what the structures will be like, and there's no "clues" where to look. I basically have to guess what the structures might look like and try to find a way to verify it. What that way is? I'm not sure yet.

tl;dr: InsanityBringer tries to replicate Duke Nukem Advance in EDuke and fails. heh

User is online   Lunick 

Wow nice, seems like we are finally getting these long awaited ports from the console systems.

Those textures don't look bad either :(

View PostLunick, on 17 June 2012 - 07:23 PM, said:

Wow nice, seems like we are finally getting these long awaited ports from the console systems.

Those textures don't look bad either :(

Welcome at Duke4, InsanityBringer! Yeah, that guy who asked you about those Duke Advance Textures was me, haha. I wanna thank you again for your great work. Those textures helped A LOT! And indeed the scale is totally different from the Advance version. But I'm getting there I guess. Here are some screenshots. Oh and before I forget, I used the HUD from Nuclear Showdown and changed the code here and there, re-ripped the HUD textures (so they had the real GBA colors), and used the Duke Advance font, which was a lot of work to fit it exacly in the little blue boxes.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0001.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0002.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0004.jpg
  • Attached Image: duke0005.jpg

This post has been edited by Simon_Croes: 17 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

User is online   Jblade 

Oh wow, those look great guys - is it possible I could have access to the sprites as well? I'm looking to expand the roster of Cycloid aliens in the AMC TC and having access to 'official' new monsters would be a pretty great thing to have :(

User is offline   MetHy 

I played through the GBA version YEARS ago and remember enjoying it, though thinking to myself "why can't this simply be an add-on for duke3D?"

I hope this gets somewhere, though I guess not before a long long time considering that even the port of Duke Nukem 64 is the new DNF I'm waiting for

good work guys and good luck

View PostJames, on 17 June 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Oh wow, those look great guys - is it possible I could have access to the sprites as well? I'm looking to expand the roster of Cycloid aliens in the AMC TC and having access to 'official' new monsters would be a pretty great thing to have :(
May as well dump it somewhere where anyone can grab it. Grab them all at here but be aware that the new monster sprites will stand out a bit, as their quality is a bit lower than the normal Duke monsters, but they should be workable.

User is offline   Darkus 

Oh, nice! It's even more complete than my TM rips. It is funny to see that we are working on different ports at the same time.

Posted Image

:(

Nice screenshot :(

This post has been edited by Simon_Croes: 18 June 2012 - 08:07 AM

User is online   Jblade 

View PostInsanityBringer, on 18 June 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

May as well dump it somewhere where anyone can grab it. Grab them all at here but be aware that the new monster sprites will stand out a bit, as their quality is a bit lower than the normal Duke monsters, but they should be workable.

much appreciated, thanks!

User is offline   Jimmy 

• Let's go Brandon!

View PostInsanityBringer, on 18 June 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

Thanks for sharing, but what about the HUD and other stuff?

I haven't been able to isolate those in the ROM yet. They're 4-bit tiles and can be dumped with Visual Boy Advance's tile viewer, but I just haven't been able to locate them in the ROM anywhere with any of my tools. There's a minimal chance that they could be compressed, but given that these images are smaller than the textures which weren't compressed, this is illogical. It could happen, though.

EDIT: actually, I found them in two seconds after loading the .ROM into tilemolester, but I'll have to play with the palettes manually to get it working.

This post has been edited by InsanityBringer: 18 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Worked on another massive con coding.

An access panel (can't tell rest don't wanna spoil it).

Added few things and 2 giant gas tanks that can make a massive explosion / firestorm and fill the room with many fires "BURNING2" sprites.

User is offline   LAW 

Holly pieces of shit!

So many years and we have DN Total Meltdown sprites. Now we have GBA stuff. Then it's time for Duke Nukem Mobile for Tapwave Zodiac... What I really liked in DNA and DNM is their simplicity and coolness, the locations were small and neat, just like my dog 9 years ago :(

User is online   zykov eddy 

Genesis does!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Working on those industrial elevators or storage elevator.
Elevators that are huge to bring storage boxes, small carts etc.
Long as hell but cool. Similar to the Elevator in the first level accept slightly more complex.

User is offline   sedition 

Here's a teaser screenshot of the TC I'm working on along with two other guys by now. More information about this project will come soon.

Attached Image: capt0010.jpg

User is offline   Zaxtor 

Nice pic.

Also worked on more effects one after the others. Just that Steel mill level alone has hiked the GAME.CON doubled its size.
Now is almost 1MB in size when used to be ~500kb before steel mill.

In the pic num1 I finished a laser beam similar to the SNES game Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
The stage with this huge laser canon you must try not to get hit.

Also second pic are blocks that emit electrical currents randomly. (note blocks are red ingame)

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Zaxtor: 26 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

User is offline   LAW 

^ Is this the same old Duke I remember? One of the things which I like in old games is their simplicity. BAM, two weeks and you have a nice map :(

Share this topic:

• 361 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options