Duke4.net Forums: What are you working on for Duke right now? - Duke4.net Forums

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What are you working on for Duke right now?  "Post about whatever Duke related stuff you're doing"

User is offline   0815Jack 

View Post1337DirtAlliance, on 27 December 2020 - 02:59 PM, said:

Update on the redesign. Still need to either add bones to the current hair. Or find a better hair that better fits the original girls long hair. Female model is from Duke Nukem Forever.

NSFW

very nice work (from a artistic point of view) I have you checked it already ingame?

Would be very good to have a consistent babe (FEMx) replacments....

Still working on texturing/shading this. It should be done sometime within the next...month or two?
(Of course all the TROR is causing Mapster's classic renderer to eat shit, but that's a minor detail.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tror_remake_2.png

User is offline   quakis 

View PostToiletDuck64, on 30 December 2020 - 03:17 AM, said:

(Of course all the TROR is causing Mapster's classic renderer to eat shit, but that's a minor detail.)

How does it look in Polymost?

Loving those green brick archways.

View Postquakis, on 30 December 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

How does it look in Polymost?

Loving those green brick archways.

Screen #1 is r9275, which is a somewhat un-old version that I mostly only use for testing stuff.
Screen #2 is r3888, which is the prehistoric version that I've actually been making the map with (also the version I used for the Mapster classic screenshot in the above post). (This screenshot doesn't do justice to the amount of epilepsy flashing gray/blue/etc. in the sky in that version.)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: tror_remake_2p9275.png
  • Attached Image: tror_remake_2p3888.png

User is offline   Aleks 

Nice stuff! Now what's with you and these green comfy chairs, Toilet Duck? ;)

Before tackling the final map for Back in Business, I decided to finish some other old and unfinished... business. This time it's just a regular map that I started working on around 2008 and which was really the main focus of my rare mapping strikes in the following years. I've already posted some general screenshots of it back in August when I first got back here.

Was mostly focused on adapting the map for current version of Eduke during the last couple of days. There's still quite some areas to build left, but I got quite a clear and specific plan of how the progression flow will work in this one. It will be more laid back in terms of combat than Back in Business, but with strong emphasis on atmosphere and mood. There will be a lot of puzzles that will require thinking outside of your regular Duke-box and quite strong unlinearity (2 parallel and occasionally overcrossing paths, which will need to be worked out separately towards your final objective and an extra secret side-quest, which I'm planning to throw in).

Attached Image: duke0050.png Attached Image: duke0052.png Attached Image: duke0054.png

User is offline   Mark 

Just more playing around with my new shark. Or should I say Megalodon in these pics. ;)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0010.jpg
  • Attached Image: capt0015.jpg

View Post0815Jack, on 29 December 2020 - 12:50 PM, said:

very nice work (from a artistic point of view) I have you checked it already ingame?

Would be very good to have a consistent babe (FEMx) replacments....

It's not rigged yet, I'm going to add some movement animation to the pillar after I settle on a replacement hair to use that will match the original intended design. Once it's done it will be added to the stockpile.

I have plans to replace the all of the other FEM models. With better models, either using the model base in the picture and just changing the head for different girls. Or using different models of the same/better quality for the other girls.

On a side note, do any of the devs want the original blender files included in the zip of the redesigns?

User is offline   Mark 

Yes, include the original. There have been a few times over the years that someone wanted to make improvements on a model but couldn't do it after it was converted to md3.
Just 1 last shark pic under a polymer light using a normal map texture I made. He looks more like a battle-scarred fighter.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: shark polymer.jpg

This post has been edited by Mark: 01 January 2021 - 09:07 AM

User is offline   11bush 

A couple things for something I'm working on lately.

The SMG from The Omega Man, and a badguy loosely based on the family from The Omega Man :lol:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: shotgunner.gif
  • Attached Image: reload.gif

This post has been edited by 11bush: 04 January 2021 - 09:13 PM

User is offline   11bush 

Working on the animations, it is way harder than it should be. :lol:

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: frontrun.gif

User is offline   Merlijn 

I don't want to show too much but here's some more dynamics in light and shadow, this map is going to be very atmospheric.
Attached Image: duke0144.png

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

Started working towards a "be-all-end-all" script-set that will cover duke3d and is extensible to other games and mods (plus modular so that stuff like SW / Fury can be supported with the same script + config).

This is just a small preview on the hotkey/tooltip display, still under work.

Plan is to have all documentation here, along with a bunch of hotkeys and other things that help/speed up mapping a ton.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: 2021-01-12 19-30-27_edit.mp4.gif

User is offline   ck3D 

@Merlijn lighting and shadows really are the best, if you're especially focusing on atmosphere here I'm especially looking forward to what you will come up with. Layers of shade for walls are an underrated technique too, always love it when I see people use it too, like Aleks did in that lower section of Freezing Fear or you yourself did in that red alien cavern at the start of SG3. To this day you have a very unique style, good luck with the map!

@oasiz that's great, personally I'm always juggling between the latest eDuke32 build to work on some stuff and another antiquated, but faithful one from 2009 to work on some other and the constant comparison really highlights how much work has been put into the port since to make the editor more user-friendly, so many new functions that aren't just for show but actually very practical. New hotkeys for those features - plus with an interface - look like they will help even more, and only make Build even more accessible, so that's fantastic news.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 January 2021 - 08:38 AM

User is offline   Mark 

If you love subtle shading you'll scream "WHY DID HE DO IT" ;) when you hear about some old maps I was revamping. I too was impressed by the extreme use of sector shading everywhere. Since I needed to gain back walls and sectors to expand the maps and it was being changed over to Polymer lighting I deleted hundreds of walls of shading, hundreds of sectors of shading and semi-transparent light sprites in each map. I actually felt a little bad because of how much effort was put into that.

This post has been edited by Mark: 14 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

User is offline   oasiz 

• Dr. Effector

View Postck3D, on 14 January 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

@oasiz that's great, personally I'm always juggling between the latest eDuke32 build to work on some stuff and another antiquated, but faithful one from 2009 to work on some other and the constant comparison really highlights how much work has been put into the port since to make the editor more user-friendly, so many new functions that aren't just for show but actually very practical. New hotkeys for those features - plus with an interface - look like they will help even more, and only make Build even more accessible, so that's fantastic news.

Thanks, but these are custom m32 scripts that create the interface from scratch without touching the source using routines similar to what you'd have in qbasic (linedraw/printext) :D
m32 script is however a game changer when it's properly utilized.

User is offline   ck3D 

Yeah still really cool, just having more visual indicators in general would probably help the younger generations of mappers as they grew up in a world where most tools are WYSIWYG and the idea of obscure hotkeys is like what. To this day, every once in a while I'll learn about 'new' features that were actually implemented years ago and I just had no idea existed, I'm sure a lot of mappers are the same (for instance, IIRC three people only found out about the Ctrl+T command for text recently after I casually mentioned it on here). Possibilities are strong but knowledge about them seems fragmented amongst the individuals (actually I always thought it'd be interesting to watch videos of other people mapping, everyone probably does everything differently and has developed their own technique for the lack of direct references). I've said it before but as much as I can see how learning Build in 1996 felt like some seemingly indomitable task, nowadays Mapster32 is so convenient people no longer have that excuse.

Shit and now I just imagined making/playing a Duke 3D rendition of gorilla.bas, what the hell have you done.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 14 January 2021 - 09:26 AM

User is offline   Aleks 

@Merlijn, I remember the times of Red 4/5 development and you dropping a single screenshot every few months only, not revealing anything much at all ;) Cool shadows here, I always dig when people put more effort for that gradient type of ambient light. And that wall texture is always appreciated, just can't go wrong with it.

User is offline   Merlijn 

@ ck3d & Aleks: I agree about the layered shading, it's a great tool to use. I especially discovered it after getting rid of the black fog. Sometimes, you want to have a similar visual effect without the actual fog being there.

As for the screens not showing much: the building actually turns out to be pretty intricate, with 2 levels stacked on top of each other (so fans of sector-over-sector should be pretty happy ;) ) and a pretty complicated floor plan. Meanwhile, there's the flashing sky and the thunderstorm raging outside the building. It has a really apocalyptic feel to it, but that's hard to capture with a screenshot. So for now, you'll just have to take my word for it.

This post has been edited by Merlijn: 16 January 2021 - 05:46 AM

User is offline   Maarten 

Haven't used Mapster sinds July.....but the last few days, I added 220+ sectors, and almost 2000 walls... :') Screenshot added - keep in mind it's WIP! (Also...yest, the 'Woudrichem' story continuer's!)

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: duke0092.png

This post has been edited by Maarten: 18 January 2021 - 01:19 PM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

Yes! I was hoping we'd see another installment!

User is offline   Telee 

It's great that the Duke community is still alive all these years later. :) Here's a peek at a couple levels I've been working on for an episode. The first map (plane) is basically 95% complete, sitting at 16,321/16,384 walls so not much more to be done but tweaking and gameplay testing. The second map (airport) is at 9,992 walls, a lot of work done but still much to do (including shading which I'm waiting to tackle until all the architecture is complete). Having a lot of fun with it.

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: capt0002.png
  • Attached Image: capt0003.png
  • Attached Image: capt0004.png
  • Attached Image: capt0000.png

User is offline   ck3D 

Damn that's some great news and shots back to back, best of luck with your respective projects, Maarten and Telee! I'm sensing some golden times for Duke 3D in a rather near future with all the cool stuff being worked on right now.

Telee's shots in particular remind me I also want an airport and airplane map(s) in my own project, topping the strength of those aesthetics is going to be tough though, loving the detail and texturing. Maybe some stronger wall shading and contrast around all the angles would help complete the look. Ceiling lights in the last shot could also look a bit less flat and/or cast shadows above them for some variety on the ceiling and extra depth, otherwise I'm a fan.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 January 2021 - 06:52 AM

User is offline   Telee 

Thanks for the kind words and feedback, I definitely agree that shading is what I need to work on the most, I'll probably find myself going back to these older maps / areas and touching things up as I continue to gain experience. I don't think there are many good plane or airport maps out there so it'd be great to see your approaches to them as well!

User is offline   ck3D 

Ah there's actually been quite a few airplane and airport maps (although indeed not that many people have tackled the theme), for instance Letiste was a good airport map that I can remember and I think Passenger Jet was a really sweet-looking plane map (or maybe I'm confusing the one with that name with another plane map, there's been a handful in the past that looked similar and so in my mind they sort of blend in). IIRC Shadow Warrior had one notorious plane map too, although I never played that game. For mine I have/had quite the number of ideas of scripted sequences, but I also want some base game level type of flow for the episode in general so the final product probably won't be that linear. Anyway, thanks!

Shading I always recommend is a good habit to pick up on the go, also working with increments in powers of 3 from adjacent wall/floor to adjacent wall/floor from my personal experience is what I find looks best, don't hesitate to try and go for stark contrast here and there when you experiment and you'll most likely be amazed yourself at the extra depth it directly gives to one's own piece. Also for stuff like floor/ceiling shadows, remember you can always use a flat sprite with pal 4 (or a very dark shade value and/or noshade if your parent sector uses light/palette effects), usually the same one used for the actual object in the first place, for a resource-efficient way of making them.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 January 2021 - 06:58 AM

User is offline   Telee 

Shadow Warrior's plane map that you're referring to is part of the Wanton Destruction addon and is quite good, I have played that one. In terms of Duke stuff the only ones I've played are Passenger Jet, Boeing 747 and SkyCity 2 - the latest of which is over 12 years old. Definitely not a new concept don't get me wrong but I'm hoping I can make it feel fresh enough :)

Haven't heard of Letiste, I'll have to check that one out. Gotta remind myself to take a break from the mapping once in a while to try out some user maps, especially the latest stuff being put out by the community - I've missed a lot over the years.

User is offline   Sanek 

Telee....I remember you from a long time ago, you were a velociraptor...
The WIP shots of yours looks very good, so welcome back! B)

User is offline   ck3D 

View PostTelee, on 20 January 2021 - 08:12 AM, said:

Shadow Warrior's plane map that you're referring to is part of the Wanton Destruction addon and is quite good, I have played that one. In terms of Duke stuff the only ones I've played are Passenger Jet, Boeing 747 and SkyCity 2 - the latest of which is over 12 years old. Definitely not a new concept don't get me wrong but I'm hoping I can make it feel fresh enough :)

Haven't heard of Letiste, I'll have to check that one out. Gotta remind myself to take a break from the mapping once in a while to try out some user maps, especially the latest stuff being put out by the community - I've missed a lot over the years.

Letiste is a 1999 user map by Peter Kucera: https://dnr.duke4.ne...ps/Letiste.html so it also dates from way back. Also I remember back when the Skycity maps came out like yesterday, it's crazy to think it's been twelve years but you're right. I remember especially liking the first and third of those maps and to this day wish the author had kept going, they were onto something with that style.

I'm also with you on that I don't play user maps as much as I should, to the point of feeling guilty of not completely recognizing people's efforts at times, it's just so tempting to create and map instead all the while still appreciating the new releases from afar. I've been getting this idea that part of the community is getting less interested in actually experiencing user maps first hand now than in appreciating new releases like fine art pieces; it's funny how 'passive' YouTube views of video playthroughs kind of compete with download counters these days. It's as though the engine is so antiquated now (and I don't mean that any pejoratively, 'old' if you will), everything new pertaining to it will also function as a cultural curiosity in addition to playable content.

This post has been edited by ck3D: 20 January 2021 - 09:23 AM

User is online   Ninety-Six 

I had no idea the Skycity series was that old. I only discovered them a few years ago and found them "modern" enough to feel like they couldn't have been more than 5 or 6 at the absolute oldest.

User is offline   Aleks 

@Maarten, great to hear you're working on another map!
@Telee, I especially dig the first screenshot from the airplane interior, it looks so massive! And thinking of how much walls were used there already gives me a headache. Love the use of shapes and textures on the chair, also cool idea how the seatbelts and armrests were created.

I've finally decided on a title of my new map and created a ModDB page for it to directly post updates. I'm planning weekly progress updates with some screens, since it's pretty close to completion already. Posting 2 new not too revealing screenshots here as well, these are relatively new areas, which were created during the last 2-3 weeks (2nd screen is something I've created today in fact).

Attached Image: duke0001.png Attached Image: duke0029.png

This post has been edited by Aleks: 20 January 2021 - 01:18 PM

User is offline   Telee 

View PostSanek, on 20 January 2021 - 08:21 AM, said:

Telee....I remember you from a long time ago, you were a velociraptor...
The WIP shots of yours looks very good, so welcome back! B)

Thanks! Yes, that was me, from back when I was in high school probably lol.

Love the design on those light fixtures Aleks. Those other screens on ModDB look great as well. How did you pull off that reflective floor?

Share this topic:

• 325 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

All copyrights and trademarks not owned by Voidpoint, LLC are the sole property of their respective owners. Play Ion Fury! ;) © Voidpoint, LLC

Enter your sign in name and password

Sign in options